ALS
Happiness score is 49 out of 100

ALS Employee Reviews for Laboratory Analyst

Laboratory Analyst20 reviews
Canada20 reviews

Routine tasks and unusual shifts, lack of job security and very low salary

The lab analyst position is a very basic job without any engaging challenges. It is more like working in a line of production of a factory. Might be good for people without any specific education. Do not think of it as anything which is even remotely close to a scientific job.

Pros

Flexible in changing shifts, nice and respectful people.

Cons

Poor work place condition; e.g., cold over nights and extremely hot in hot days.

Nice supervisor and manager

The worst thing is that there is no job security in this company and at any time you can get laid of with no reason.Some coworkers are nice and some really mean and destructive.The work stress is manageable.

Pros

Nice supervisor and manager

Cons

No job security at all

6 March 2021
Thank you for your thoughtful review. It is true, we work in a seasonal industry which means that we hire at the beginning of the season and need to adjust staffing levels when the season starts to slow down. We are honest about this when recruiting to fill seasonal roles but we do acknowledge that lay-offs have an impact on the employee group. We hope you were able to find alternate employment with minimal delay and wish you the best with your future employment!

Insights into ALS

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Fair pay for job

Productive work place to learn apply skills

A typical day at work involved sample collection, testing, and submission of data.I learned a lot about environmental compliance and how that applies to different business practices. Management was very supportive and enforced a strong safety culture. Workplace culture was very professional and collaborative. The hardest part of the job was long hours sometimes required for certain tests. The most enjoyable part of the job was people I worked with and potluck lunch days.

Pros

Strong safety culture, good training program, lots of opportunity for overtime for those interested

Cons

Long hours, occasional understaffing

6 March 2021
Thank you for your thorough and balanced review. Your comments about safety, training and lunch potlucks really highlight the workplace culture we strive to create. We are happy to hear that you had a positive experience working at ALS and wish you all the best in your future career!

Awful managemnet

Toxic managers make your days miserable while not contributing anything useful. The co workers outside of management were quite intelligent. This is a chemical lab version of a sweat shop. Stay away.

Pros

Not the worst starting wage.

Cons

Toxic, zero advancement.

23 October 2020
We appreciate our feedback. It is true that we do experience high sample volumes during our busy season which do increase workloads. It is unfortunate to hear the reference about toxic management. If you would like to provide more information, we can review this situation further. You can leave information through the Integrity Hotline or by messaging us through the "Contact Us" link on alsglobal.com. Thank you for your comments about ALS.

Great place to develop new skills and gain work experience.

Don't apply if you are expectint to make CEO's money with close to non existing experience. Great for those who want to learn and apply new skills in analytical chemistry, and are not afraid to work hard.

Pros

Multiple oportunities to move up in your career

Cons

Fast pace and stressfull at times.

23 June 2020
We appreciated the balanced perspective of what it is like to work at ALS. We have worked hard to create more developmental opportunities for employees and it is reassuring to see that our efforts are starting to have an impact. And it is true that the work can be fast paced, particularly during our busy season. Thank you for your feedback and take care.

A good place to start your career

A good place to start if you do not have experience or are a fresh graduate. Also a seasonal work and no job security. Friendly environment and chill work condition.

2 January 2020
Thank you for your feedback. Wed are happy to hear that you found our work environment to be friendly! It is true that our business is seasonal which makes it often a good fit for people who are recently graduated or looking to gain experience in the field. However, we realize that this may not be a good fit for everyone and try to do other things to make ALS an attractive employer such as employee events, recognition programs and ongoing career development. We do appreciate your comments as they help us see what we can do to make ALS an even better place to work.

heavy work load, face-paced environment

ALS is okay for entry level positions who are looking for expereince, but you have to expect to do lots of overtime on busy season / getting hours cut on slow season if you are hired as casual position.

2 January 2020
Thank you for your feedback. Due to the seasonal nature of our business, we do ramp up our staffing levels during the busy times but we are not able to sustain the number of employees during the slower winter months which necessitates lay-offs. We try to minimize this by encouraging leaves/vacation during the slower months and also actively work to bring on business that is more consistent throughout the year. When we hire people for seasonal roles (not all our roles are seasonal), we are honest about this reality during the recruitment process as we recognize the impact lay-offs have on employees. We value your comments and thank you for the time you took to share them with us.

Toxic Work Environment

Horribly managed. Upper management was cutting overtime hours, no new hires. Laid off without reason to save money. No room to grow, my manager had been there 8 years and only had a $6 raise. They take advantage foreign workers who can't be accredited here and offer them a job because they can't work elsewhere. Manager lied to coworkers, saying to get an English certification to be eligible for a full-time position, one year later, said they are not eligible anyway. Staff are overworked, become grumpy as a result, and belittle you while training. Do not work here long, work here as a last resort. Only a little better than no job at all.

Pros

Money every two weeks

Cons

Work overtime or be fired

25 October 2019
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. It is regrettable that your experience was not aligned with our corporate values or intended workplace experience. If you would like to provide additional feedback, please reach out to us at HR.Enquiries@alsglobal.com. If you state the location you are referring to, it will be routed to the appropriate Regional HR team for further investigation.

A great place for employment

ALS Environmental is a great place to work. The staff are well organized, friendly, and very helpful. The training process is very organized and easy to follow.

25 October 2019
We appreciate the review. It is rewarding to hear that our onboarding program is having the impact we hoped and that you enjoy working with us. Thank you for your comments and we wish you the best in your future endeavors.

Great place to start

Nice and fun team, great management, good working atmosphere. Work load is balanced, you have access to all instrumentation you need. Organized and stress less.

30 October 2018
Thank you for the positive feedback. It is great to hear that you enjoy working at ALS and hope you continue to find your career here rewarding.

Complete waste of time.

If I could give this zero, I would. The management doesn’t care about concerns and senior staff acts like they can get away with everything because they will never get fired. They try to get as much overtime out of you as they can and you have no life outside of work. They don’t properly train people. Whenever something goes wrong, they blame it on the new employees because they consider them inexperienced even when they were clearly at fault. There is no team environment. Working at ALS was the biggest waste of time. I would avoid this place like the plague.

Pros

Absolute zero.

Cons

You get treated like dirt and it’s a waste of time.

19 September 2018
It is very unfortunate that your employment experience at ALS was not as we endeavor it to be. Due to the seasonal nature of the industry we work in, we experience high sample volumes at certain points during the year and, because of this, we ask employees to work overtime. However, working overtime is voluntary and while many employees are happy to earn the additional income, we do not require them to do so. Our high sample volumes also challenge our ability to quickly ramp up our staffing levels and train new employees. We do have a structured H&S and training program which provides a consistent approach to training new employees and strives to equip them with the knowledge required for their job. We regularly review our training with an eye towards continuous improvement and will keep your comments in mind when doing so. Thank you very much for your feedback.

Poor Management

No time to site an enjoy a lunch. Management is poor and really don't appreciate the work you put in. There is no one to socialize with and the hard part is not wanting to work OT every single day.

Cons

Senior Management is poor. Long Hours. Dirty Environment

Great work place environment with great people

A good place with good people and working environment, with a good work pace, thou some times the work load can be overwhelming. The management level are alway trying to liven up the workplace, But the hardest part of the job would to learn new skills

after 5 years of working here

The company is implementing safe and bully-free environment quite strongly, so you will meet nice people here and can work in a safe environment. The work culture is quite good. People are friendly, or at least professional. I have experienced two different divisions and bunch of different departments in the past +5 years. So my testimony is quite valid. The salary is not that great compare to the amount of work required from you. But there is a good over time opportunity. A lot of casual employees come and go, but if you are really good, the company usually keeps you. Lay off is not necessarily depending on the seniority. So stability is not great. Offers good benefits, but it is only available after 1 year of casual employment. Even if you work as a casual for more than a year, there is no guarantee for you to become a permanent employee. This is the worst con. It is a great place to start for an analytical chemistry graduate, and a good place to build your career. But you will eventually think about the improvement somewhere else.

Pros

good work environment, a lot to learn

Cons

cheap salary, too much turnaround of employees

Fun and Friendly people

I had so much good time when working with ALS. People are friendly, help each other as well as new persons. All the supervisors and account manager are great.

Friendly workplace with flexible hours and plenty of available training experience

As a Co-op student at the lab, I learned a lot during training about how things worked in an industrial laboratory setting. The work was often fast paced, the people were easy to get along with, and management was open to suggestions by employees. Given my standing at the job site, I was very pleased to be accept as much responsibility as I was awarded. A typical day involved preparation of samples (morning) followed by their subsequent instrument based analysis later in the day. The most difficult part of the job was getting samples completed as fast as possible, which everyone at the workplace helped each other to do.

Pros

Flexible hours, friendly environment

Cons

Lack of benefits compared to full-time employees

low pay, lay-off, dirty work enviroment

Pay is low and they lay-off people whenever the season is low. Not accurate enough for testing samples as analysis company. plus the working environment is dirty. Thank god, the supervisor and manager is nice. other than that, it is TERRIBLE company to work for

interesting,fun,flixable

some over time, work you way up,cross training,diversity ,everyday learning new,Friendly people,great exprince

Pros

Free coffee some times

Cons

long hours some times

Productive, fast paced environment

- A typical day would start by finding out the job/work order i would be working on. The next step would be to locate the sample in the "sample fridge" followed by cleaning the appropriate glassware needed. Once the glassware was cleaned and rinsed (with either acetone, dichloromethane, or hexane, depending on what the sample sheet indicated) I would follow the SOP (sub-sampling, spiking, rotovaping, columning, etc) until the sample was ready to be analyzed by one of the analyst.- The hardest part about the job was keeping up with all the samples that came in. Sometimes there would be a lot of samples that would come in at once and all or most were rush samples, but there was not enough laboratory employees.- The most enjoyable part of the job was the feeling of satisfaction at the end of the day, when you know you have completed everything you were meant to.

Pros

kept busy, worked independently, help was there whenever it was needed

Cons

not enough glassware, broken machines

Poor safety, poor job security, poor advancement chances

In addition to the above, the employees that work in the labs are not even treated as human beings.The management itself admits its safety record "as a lab is poor".Shift work is involved but the schedules do not change for several months so there is a high likelihood one could remain in an unfavourable shift for a long time.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ALS. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.6 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement