ALS

ALS Employee Reviews

Insights into ALS

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Time and location flexibility

Bad management, overworked and underpaid

Management was bad they were unsupportive and disorganized while working there different managers wanted me to do different things there was no singular plan. They even wanted me to do tasks I was not hired for and the training was drawn out with a lot of policy readings with little lab time in the beginning. Scheduling was mismanaged despite me making it clear that I was a student and they would need to be flexible with my time slots. In regards to scheduling, management wanted me to call them to make sure I wasn't needed on holidays instead of them knowing they will need me and scheduling me in it's their responsibility to know that. Couldn't trust my lab supervisor/trainer as everything discussed with her would end up with management. This workplace asks for a lot for minimal compensation in return for large workloads and non-flexible work schedules.

Pros

entry level lab experience

Cons

large workload, bad management, minimum compensation

Was great as G&T..

If you don't crawl up the correct alley or family member you'll likely find yourself laid off when push comes to shove. Join the boys club or be laid off. Be mindful they mathematically lay people off, your 3 months probation period is added to the year so 15 months before they start matching RRSPs great right? Wrong add 3 years to that so four years and 3 months they don't have too pay you what they have match for the Deferred RRSP program. The mass layoffs are simply math you climb the ladder position 1-5 potentially salary years of service etc only to be told there's life after ALS when they heard everyone to the boardroom for the layoff ceremony with others. Highly professional.

Pros

Fun coworkers

Cons

Transparency

Be prepared to be exploited

-Do not recommend-Turn over rate is extremely high: leaving insufficient staff to carry out daily job requirements-Overworked: expect to do a job meant for 4 people-Underpaid: don't expect a raise because all you will get is a slap in the face-Promotions, raises and any recognition are given to the wrong individuals-Hard workers are used and abused so don't bother doing a good job because it is a waste of time and energy-You might meet some cool people-Highly unlikely to get an annual bonus because they will always come up with some excuse. You may get a free sandwich for all your hard work though..

Pros

some people are nice

Cons

long hours, not enough staff, overworked, underpaid

Contrary to some of the reviews I've seen als has been a good work environment so far, as long as you're willing to put in the effort and actually work, you'll enjoy employment here.

Pros

Adequate pay

Cons

Working in all the PPE is hot but worth it for protection

Routine tasks and unusual shifts, lack of job security and very low salary

The lab analyst position is a very basic job without any engaging challenges. It is more like working in a line of production of a factory. Might be good for people without any specific education. Do not think of it as anything which is even remotely close to a scientific job.

Pros

Flexible in changing shifts, nice and respectful people.

Cons

Poor work place condition; e.g., cold over nights and extremely hot in hot days.

Poor management

This place is a complete chaos, they don’t order supplies on time and then expect workers to work hard, that lab is a mess with no sign of any cooling system for summer, (if you like super humid weather then this is the best place for you). They over hire in summer only to layoff 50% of them later on. Career advancement in based on if the manager “likes” you or not. Pay is not that good (which isn’t news anymore) Most of the department managers are egoistic and rude. Avoid if you can, or come join the Chaos

Pros

Can’t think of any

Cons

Too many to list

Travail répétitif - risque grave de blessures

Seulement 2 postes de travail possible: broyage des roches ou pulvérisation. Dans les 2 cas, il s'agit d'un travail très physique dans un environnement chaud, bruillant et poussiéreux.La charge de travail et considérable et le type de travail répétitif avec de fortes chances de développer des tandinites, bursites et maux de dos.Les employés ont droit aux avantages seulement après 9 mois de travail, le temps supplémentaire et les possiblilitées d'avancement sont inexistants.

Pros

Gestionnaire sympathique

Cons

Mouvement répétitif, pas d'avancement

Get ready to work hard!

Overall, my experience working as a Sample Prep Technician was very positive. I got to login samples received from mines all across BC and the world (drill core, pulp, soil, vegetation). Management does care about safety. The team is great, and as long as you work hard you will succeed at ALS. While the work is dusty and labour-intesive, it is still good, honest work and I would recommend this job for anybody who wants a shot at getting into the mining/mineral exploration or geochemistry industries. Do not apply if you are afraid of hard work.

Pros

Hard, honest work. Great team.

Cons

Not many opportunities for advancement.

11 April 2021
Thank you for your review and it is great to hear that working at ALS was a 5 star experience for you! It is true, in Sample Preparation you get good exposure to the mining industry and work hard. While the opportunity for advancement may be more limited in one location, we are opening 4 new locations in Canada & the US this year which means we have management positions available for those who are interested in relocating. As a global organization, we have opportunities elsewhere as well! It's too bad we couldn't keep you but we do hope you found something you enjoy!

High school environment

Cliques in every department making it difficult to have a comfortable work environment. Poor management with advancements from favoritism. Overworked and underpaid with little room for advancement.

11 April 2021
We appreciate your feedback. Making ALS a great place to work and continuous improvement are very important to us. We will review your comments with regional management with an eye towards continuous improvement. Thank you for your review and we wish you the best.

Though job, low compensation

Do not recommend Fire Assay lab to any university educated jobseeker.The name includes Lab, but the actual place does not look like a lab. More like a production line, all people with full PPE (Even respirator), trying hard to achieve the shift objectives which means non-stop rush during the entire shift.

Pros

Good coworkers

Cons

Dangerous work, very fast pace, no job security

11 April 2021
Thank you for leaving a review. Fire Assay is a very specific type of analysis that is very important to our customers but is not the typical "laboratory job". It is unfortunate that it was not a good fit for you. We do have more traditional laboratory departments at ALS available as well for those that are interested. We appreciate the feedback and wish you the best in your future endeavors.

Horrible Place to work

The management at ALS is horrible and they treat their employees like absolute garbage. I would recommend never working at this place and to avoid it like the plague. Staff that have been there for years have never received a raise. It is very difficult to become permanent unless you are a supervisors favorite. Senior staff come and go as they please because they won't get laid off. You are expected to do crazy amounts of work and rush through it because they are understaffed and refuse to hire help to save money, even during the busy seasons. They keep lots of staff as casual so they don't have to give you benefits, sick days or vacation days and you are easily expendable.

Pros

Cons

Under paid, long hours, under staffed, horrible supervisors and management

6 March 2021
Thank you for your thorough and detailed review. Working in a seasonal industry does present its challenges. We do our best to staff up for peak season but mirroring staffing levels with increasing sample volumes is a tough balance to achieve. When you factor in the training time for new staff, it is understandable that stress levels get elevated. It is true that we hire seasonal employees on as casual and have recently implemented a more structured process to convert long term casual employees to full-time so they can get benefits. I don't know how long you were with ALS, but we do provide structured wage increases every year (except last year because of the business impact caused by Covid). We appreciate your feedback and wish you the best in your future career!

They don't care about your health

Management gets upset with you if you're exhausted, sick, or have other emergencies. You're constantly pushed to keep going and if any mistakes are made you are written up as a result due to physical and mental exhaustion. Only 2 breaks in an 8 hour shift; 15 minute and 30 minute lunch. You are only allowed to call in sick 2 days in a row, any more than that then your employment is locked out until you get a doctor's note which a lot of us end up losing employment at ALS as a result.

Pros

Decent enough pay

Cons

Standing on concrete all day in steel toe boots

6 March 2021
Thank you for your review. It is unfortunate that your experience at ALS is not as we endeavor it to be. We comply with all employment standards requirements for breaks and require a doctor's after an employee has been sick for three days. While the work is physical, overtime is voluntary as we respect the need for people to have mental and physical rest. We hope you work that is better suited to you and wish you the best in your future endeavors!

A good place for a new grad but not for a long term career

ALS is a good place to work at if you are looking for a laboratory experience. They offer a lot of environmental services. I have worked there for almost 2 years and I was one of the people to almost get laid off but they changed their mind on the very last day. However, I had to decline and quit due to relocation to another country. On a typical day at work in summer, it gets crazy busy sometimes your break gets late. In winter depending on your department it can also get busy. I learned the basics of laboratory operations and protocols. The management are okay, really sad they have to lay off a lot of their staff in the midst of pandemic but I guess that's business. Job security is nothing at that point. Hardest part of the job is it gets stressful. You're overworked due to amount of workload, understaffed, the pay is really bad, management expects a lot from you, growth doesn't really happen because the opportunity is limited and overtime is expected. Your co-workers make the job enjoyable and there are treats and party too(not free, tho) but nice to see co-workers not in their lab coats.

6 March 2021
Thank you for your thorough and detailed review. Because we are a seasonal industry, things get very busy during the spring/summer months and we realize that this can get stressful for employees, which is why we give out treats and arrange parties (not during Covid) to try and lift people's spirits. I remember the Winnipeg lay-offs last year. With Covid, there was so much business uncertainty and we felt so relieved that we could cancel those lay-offs. Unfortunately, that still resulted in losing a committed employee like you. We hope you are doing well in your job and continuing to stay safe.

Nice supervisor and manager

The worst thing is that there is no job security in this company and at any time you can get laid of with no reason.Some coworkers are nice and some really mean and destructive.The work stress is manageable.

Pros

Nice supervisor and manager

Cons

No job security at all

6 March 2021
Thank you for your thoughtful review. It is true, we work in a seasonal industry which means that we hire at the beginning of the season and need to adjust staffing levels when the season starts to slow down. We are honest about this when recruiting to fill seasonal roles but we do acknowledge that lay-offs have an impact on the employee group. We hope you were able to find alternate employment with minimal delay and wish you the best with your future employment!

Productive work place to learn apply skills

A typical day at work involved sample collection, testing, and submission of data.I learned a lot about environmental compliance and how that applies to different business practices. Management was very supportive and enforced a strong safety culture. Workplace culture was very professional and collaborative. The hardest part of the job was long hours sometimes required for certain tests. The most enjoyable part of the job was people I worked with and potluck lunch days.

Pros

Strong safety culture, good training program, lots of opportunity for overtime for those interested

Cons

Long hours, occasional understaffing

6 March 2021
Thank you for your thorough and balanced review. Your comments about safety, training and lunch potlucks really highlight the workplace culture we strive to create. We are happy to hear that you had a positive experience working at ALS and wish you all the best in your future career!

Productive and fun workplace

Working at ALS was fun and rewarding, the staff was friendly and good to get along with, great leadership with clear vision, great experience and highly recommendable...

23 October 2020
Thank you for your comments. It is a pleasure to read when the work we do to engage our employees and create a strong work culture has hit the mark for an employee. We wish you the best and appreciated the feedback.

It is good just if you do not have other option

I worked in the Tribology division (oil and gas). Small laboratory in a huge corporation with a lot of stress and workload, very fast pace. Regional manager is so racist , lab supervisor is so rude and impolite and they cover for each other. The environment is not healthy at all, oily and full of dangerous odors from chemical solvents that there is no willing to fix the issues.

Pros

You will have full time job and if you are permanent benefits

Cons

Weak and very weak management

23 October 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. It is unfortunate to hear the comment about racist management as we are a global employer, embrace diversity and practice equity & inclusion in our workplace. If you would like to provide additional information regarding this statement, we can look in to it further. You can do so by contacting the Integrity Hotline or leaving a message through the "Contact Us" link on alsglobal.com.Because we work with chemicals and other toxic substances, ALS not only meets but exceeds all H&S regulations. H&S underlies everything we do and it is consistently scored in our employee engagement survey at the top of what we do best for our employees. It is surprising to hear that you felt the work environment was not safe and we would love to understand more about it. If you would kindly leave additional information through one of the two avenues above, it would be greatly appreciated!

Awful managemnet

Toxic managers make your days miserable while not contributing anything useful. The co workers outside of management were quite intelligent. This is a chemical lab version of a sweat shop. Stay away.

Pros

Not the worst starting wage.

Cons

Toxic, zero advancement.

23 October 2020
We appreciate our feedback. It is true that we do experience high sample volumes during our busy season which do increase workloads. It is unfortunate to hear the reference about toxic management. If you would like to provide more information, we can review this situation further. You can leave information through the Integrity Hotline or by messaging us through the "Contact Us" link on alsglobal.com. Thank you for your comments about ALS.

They tell you one thing then back stab you with lie's

Going through HR do to there false accusations with no steps taken on matter but false accusations and dismissal they tell you employees matter but they don't I was sick and not at work the two days they say I did someting I never did and I will take lie detector test to prove it they know that I was taking steps to go thru there HR to get the people that where bullying me and the three other people

23 October 2020
It sounds like there was a lot happening for you when you were separated from ALS. If you feel that there is additional information that you would like to be considered or if you would like these circumstances to be reviewed further, please contact our Integrity Hotline or send us a message through the Contact US link on alsglobal.com.

Worst management I've ever seen

Manager calls you racist and a lier when you speak up for your rights, gave out perm lay offs to workers due to covid-19 just to hire new ones 2 weeks later.

Pros

Cons

Worst management

22 October 2020
Thank you for your comments. It is unfortunate to hear that your experience working at ALS was not as we endeavor it to be. It would be helpful to have more information in order to further review the concerns you raise. Please call our Integrity Hotline or email us through the Contact Us link at www.alsglobal.com so we can look further in to your concerns.

Overqualified and Underpaid.

They hire most people with University Degrees for Assistant position at minimum wage. Good for entry level to gain some experience. But not something you can spend your life working. Just get experience and find something that pays you fairly.

Pros

clean organized labs and common areas.

Cons

No advancement

22 October 2020
We appreciate your feedback. Given the seasonal nature of our work, it is a good fit for those who are looking to gain work experience in a laboratory setting. As a result, our compensation structure is designed around this seasonal hiring. However, we also have structured wage increase programs in place for permanent employees and professional development opportunities for those that want to grow their career with us. It appears that there is an opportunity to do a better job messaging this to all employees.We sincerely appreciate your comments and hope you found a role that is more rewarding for you!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ALS. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.6Job security/advancement