ALS Employee Reviews

Horrible job horrible people
Labourer (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC8 September 2018
Its a seasonal job No point to try for this job you will be fired before your 3 months is over. Ever Christmas they screw you over. Worst company in Canada to work for.
Pros
Cons
Evertthing
30 October 2018

It is unfortunate to hear that your experience with ALS was not as positive as we endeavor it to be. Our work is highly seasonal which means that we do need to staff for the busy summer months and then reduce levels during the slower winter months. We make every effort during the hiring process to be honest about that in order to avoid disappointing employees. In the future, we will step up our messaging to ensure that employees hired for seasonal work fully understand that.

It's an OK place to be
Shipper / Receiver / Driver (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB28 June 2018
Nice place to work. Very friendly environment. Very nice Supervisors and Managers.
Every time we hit our marks, we get free food cooked and prepared by the Managers.
Pros
Lot of free food
30 October 2018

Thank you for the positive comments about your experience working at ALS. As a company, we do actively seek ways to show our appreciation for the hard work employees do and it is great to see that the Managers at our Winnipeg location are actively doing that!

Horrible Trainer Experience.
Lab. (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC19 June 2018
The trainer assigned to me did not enjoy teaching. Treated trainees as sub-human. I dreaded going to work because of this individual.

Everyone else was nice.
Pros
Decent pay for entry level
30 October 2018

That is very unfortunate to hear you had that experience at ALS. Had management or HR been made aware, we may have been able to work with the trainer and assist the situation. If you still feel this way, please contact the site HR Representative and we will absolutely look in to it if it is not too late.

Good entry-level experience - not much else
analyst (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON28 May 2018
Good atmosphere, loved the people I worked with. Management, however, was impersonal, condescending, and couldn't care less for you as a person. Poor scheduling led to longer than 8 hour days. Training was minimal and sink or swim. The wages weren't worth the pressure and accountability placed on you not only to ensure quality but to keep up with ambitious turn-around times.

As a casual employee you will work the same hours, manage the same insane workloads, and receive less training than the vets, and yet receive none of the bells and whistles that ALS claims makes them a great company to work for - and when things get tight for the lab (due to administrative negligence), you will be the first to go.

I'd love to recommend it as a great place for recent grads to get some entry-level experience, but unfortunately my experience here left me with a bad taste for the lab life.
Pros
Co-workers
30 October 2018

The unfortunate reality of our industry is that our work is highly seasonal and can escalate quickly. This means that workloads often increase faster than our ability to recruit and train up enough employees.

We do realize that this can create pressure on employees, particularly those who are still learning their jobs. We always have an eye on continuous improvement and will continue to look at ways to improve our recruiting, onboarding and training processes. Thank you for your comments, we appreciate hearing all feedback whether it be positive or an area of improvement.

poor overtime practices
Login Clerk, Client Services Dept (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 April 2018
tried to force overtime even if you had prior engagements. one of the supervisors was on maternity leave when i started and when she came back she tried to force me to work all this extra time. in the 3 months that i had been there at the time i had not had to work extra time so i simply refused.
30 October 2018

It is unfortunate to hear that you had this experience at ALS. Because our business is largely seasonal, we often experience large fluctuations in sample volumes which may necessitate overtime hours. However, overtime is voluntary and it is regrettable that the supervisor in question wasn't acting in a manner that is consistent with this.

We are committed to maintaining a respectful workplace. If employees have any questions or concerns regarding workplace conduct, they are encouraged to bring them to the attention of the laboratory manager or Human Resources.

good place to work, nice people
Environmental Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 March 2018
It was a good place to work, lots of team building. staff help each other and get a long. good safety program as it is a lab. very clean and well maintained.
30 October 2018

Thank you for the positive comments. We do try strive to make our work environment pleasant and engaging for all employees. It is rewarding to hear about employees having that experience.

Account Manager
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON16 March 2018
managing various accounts, reviewing laboratory results from the samples sent in by various clients, interacting with clients, interacting with the lab analysts.
Pros
Nice co-workers
30 October 2018

Thank you for your comments. The Account Manager is a busy role with a lot of variety. Perfect for someone who likes to work with different people, manage a diverse workload and engage with clients.

Great place to start
Lab Analyst (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON15 March 2018
Nice and fun team, great management, good working atmosphere. Work load is balanced, you have access to all instrumentation you need. Organized and stress less.
30 October 2018

Thank you for the positive feedback. It is great to hear that you enjoy working at ALS and hope you continue to find your career here rewarding.

Friendly management and flexible hours
Sample Prep Technician (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC15 March 2018
Great company to work for, wish I could have had more notice on being laid off as well as being notified that they didn't know when they would bring me back after giving me a date which i would be contacted
30 October 2018

Thank you for the positive comment and it is regrettable that you did not get the amount of layoff notice that you would have preferred. We do try to give employees a reasonable amount of notice; however, there are times when samples reduce so quickly that we don't always have the time to do so.

We do wish you the best in your future employment and appreciate the work you did while at ALS.

Charge de travail
preposé a la preparation (Former Employee) –  Val-d'Or, QC5 March 2018
Trop de charge de travail et conditions difficiles
Fantastic work environment.
Shipping Recieving / Login Clerk (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 January 2018
During my time at ALS I genuinely could not wait to get out of bed in the morning, the staff were all friendly, easy to talk to, and welcoming to the workplace.

Plenty of opportunities for overtime and extra shifts if you require them, pay is at an industry average and most of their work seasonal.

I will always recommend this company as an employer.
30 October 2018

Thank you for your positive comments! It is rewarding to hear that someone had such a great experience working at ALS. While seasonal work can be a challenge for some people, it is great to see that it works for someone and that they enjoy some of the perks that come along with it (ie. extra hours and overtime).

Productive and fun environment
Sample Prep Technician (Former Employee) –  West Vancouver, BC3 January 2018
The prep stample tech was normally fast paced and sort of boring once you got the hang of it. But that was good if you don't want a lot of stress. Everyone was always friendly and welcoming. Management was always an open door policy and super friendly. Once things got busy you could take as much overtime as you wanted, lots of fun events, treats and/or food provided occasionally which was great! Honestly, environment wise one of my best job experiences, little stress and always looked forwards to see the staff.
Pros
Free lunches/treats and fun events, great staff.
Cons
Long wait to get medical, winter lay offs
30 October 2018

It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed working at ALS! Your description of what it is like at the Vancouver location is exactly the work environment we actively foster. Thank you for sharing that our efforts are having the desired impact.

Great work environment
SHIPPER/LOGIN CLERK (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 November 2017
I loved working here. Great people and great work environment. Work loads fluctuate with the seasons, so during the summer there is lots of OT, but winter brings layoffs.
30 October 2018

Thank you for the positive feedback! It can be a challenge to navigate the seasonal nature of our work while maintaining a team oriented and engaging work environment. It is rewarding to hear that your experience reflects that our efforts are having the desired impact.

Low Wages! No benefits for first 9 months!
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC17 November 2017
The managers are not very friendly or good with people. The wages are low ($15/hr). You start casual, and remain so for 9 months!!! You do not receive health benefits or paid sick days or vacations days or stat holidays for 9 months before becoming permanent. For most places this is 3 or 6 months. During the first 9 months they discourage you from asking for any time off at all! Like you're suppose to work without a break for 9 months. Managers are rude at times. There is a "pass-the-blame" culture. You feel rushed to meet daily quotas. Once you work for 9 months and become a permanent staff member, you get a raise of 70 cents!!!
Pros
Strong Safety Culture
Cons
Low Pay, No health benefits, discouraged for asking for time off
Good for experience only
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Ontario16 November 2017
Good for new grads to get some lab experience but don't expect to get treated well, payed well, or expect to advance within the company. Management could care less about you. You can work all you want and get no recognition, in fact it's never enough. Expect overtime and poor pay! Only good thing is benefits and vacation.
Pros
Benefits and vacation
Cons
Everything else
Good working environment
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB31 July 2017
The company was nice to work for. They had comfortable work environment and a friendly atmosphere. However the company is only busy in the fall and does massive layoffs once snow begins to fall.
Rather leave it blank
Laboratory Manager (Current Employee) –  Baffin Bay, NU8 July 2017
Rather leave it blank. open to new options. I am not interested in providing review and other info in this regard so just adding words to skip this part.
Poor Management
Lab Analyst (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 June 2017
No time to site an enjoy a lunch. Management is poor and really don't appreciate the work you put in. There is no one to socialize with and the hard part is not wanting to work OT every single day.
Cons
Senior Management is poor. Long Hours. Dirty Environment
Fun and impacting volunteer service.
Volunteer Experiences (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON14 June 2017
The ALS Walk-a-thon is a positive and extremely helpful foundation that gives back to so many people that are suffering from Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. The people who work there are excellent volunteers that greet everyone with a warm, friendly smile.
Pros
Free t-shirts, good people
Cons
Work on rainy days
Horrible place to work, Horrible Management
Technician (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB7 June 2017
Would never work for this company again. The management is horrible. The only people who get ahead are the people who suck up to the management staff and hang out with them after hours or if you are from out east. They have no respect for their workers and participate in demeaning gossip and seem to not want staff to get along or interact at all. Staff is never appreciated and advancement is not based on merit but on the friendship with the management.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ALS. Our community is ready to answer.