ALS Employee Reviews

Canada112 reviews
Great people
when I was there in 2012 it was a 4 month contract. I was pregnant with my second child so the contract worked out perfectly. There was some stress because it was the busy season so there was lots of over time. It took me about 2 weeks to really start to get use to the job and after about a month I was comfortable with it. It was mostly run by women and the atmosphere was very friendly and team oriented. Everyone helped everyone else when necessary. I really enjoyed it.

I would definitely consider going back if they had an opening for me.
fun place to work. nice people. good management
definately lot of potentials to grow. very futuristic, goal oriented fun place to work. I learned many new things from work with task and also from the people I worked with as well
Poor communication skills
Management there have poor communication skills and they like to like, denie and twist words to make you look bad at times in order to get production out of their workers.
Get what you want out of it
I went in knowing that this company isn't built to retain talent and even strong work ethic. I just wanted to work to get relevant experience. I didn't get any benefits during my 'casual' employment there but I've had significantly better offers since being laid off due to the nature of their work and their management. I wish people didn't spend as much time speaking ill of other competing companies and gossiping behind others back but it comes with the nature of this company and those that work here. They systematically work to keeping things the same and that's not beneficial for ambitious and intellectual folks so as long as you are aware of what you're getting yourself into and what you want out of your job, it's a totally reasonable place to work. Majority of the folks have low education and poor academic foundations but this is appropriate for the jobs/roles within this company and they do invest in training people thoroughly. They're no different from any other third party testing company. Since they don't compensate people fairly, they emphasize on company-wide group meetings where a few individuals get recognition which is definitely encouraging.
Pros
Location is very easily accessible for those without cars
Cons
low pay
Leadership
I worked with a great North American team and had a wonderful manager who helped coach me. The staff made it an enjoyable place to come and work everyday
Ok for a temp job
The pay is fairly low even for specialized positions in the lab. It is an OK place to work at if you need a temp job but most people don't stay there for more than a year because the pay is so low.
Pros
Not too stressful
Cons
Poor pay, lack of advancement
Great people otherwise horrible place to work at
Apparently working there for a long time doesn’t mean anything for the company. Tho you’re the last to get laid off but definitely not the first ones to get call back. Overworked and underpaid during busy season and management is horrible and selfish. They lay everyone off with a months notice and THEN on the very last day they cancel your lay off and doesn’t care if you have other plans. Overall the people are nice and smart. Only work there if you need a summer or coop job otherwise you’re better off somewhere else. Job security is garbage and basically non existent
Good work place to learn.
Good work place to learn and gain skills and training. I am very thankful that I worked at ALS as i'm now benefiting with all the training and skills I've got.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at ALS?
Great people to work with and able to get valuable experience. The workload and fast pace environment can be challenging at times.
The people are fantastic to work with and the variety of work experience you can obtain here is valuable in early career development. Day to day work at the Saskatoon location is dynamic and changes frequently. You learn to operate various instrumentation, apply and hone analytical techniques, and the workings of QA/QC. It is a fast pace environment that requires fast learning, high stress, and quick thinking. The work is rewarding, people are knowledgeable, and coworkers are great at helping you when you need it.
Pros
Flexible hours
Crushes and pulverises core
This place crushes and pulverize core. Full time.
However it's hard to move up in management positions.

Overall a great place to work

Competative wages
Working With ALS.
Best Job I worked at so far. I love it there, and the people that work there (employee’s, etc) are awesome. Look forward to working with them again for another season.
Great place to develop new skills and gain work experience.
Don't apply if you are expectint to make CEO's money with close to non existing experience.

Great for those who want to learn and apply new skills in analytical chemistry, and are not afraid to work hard.
Pros
Multiple oportunities to move up in your career
Cons
Fast pace and stressfull at times.
Good team atmosphere with great employees. Hard Physical work
The employees are fun to be around and there is a genuine sense of family. However, for the amount of physical labour required, employees are not paid enough. Standing for the entire shift, while lifting 25-70 pounds, constantly. It is also very hot and dirty work, unless you work the graveyard shift, in which case you can make a little more money.
Dead end job
There is no chance of advancement. Employees are expendable to management and lay-off are common. Work is tedious and pay is poor. Work here only if you have no other choice.
It's okay to work there
Not physically demanding, you have a very busy atmosphere, I believe it's a great place to learn about sample testing and laboratory work, above all excellent co-workers.
28 January 2020
Thank you for your positive review. Yes, we definitely have a busy work environment and many of our employees enjoy that because it makes their shift go by quickly. The Fire Assay team has a terrific culture and it is rewarding to hear that you enjoyed working with the team! We appreciate hearing about your experience at ALS and wish you the best!
A good place to start your career
A good place to start if you do not have experience or are a fresh graduate. Also a seasonal work and no job security. Friendly environment and chill work condition.
2 January 2020
Thank you for your feedback. Wed are happy to hear that you found our work environment to be friendly!

It is true that our business is seasonal which makes it often a good fit for people who are recently graduated or looking to gain experience in the field. However, we realize that this may not be a good fit for everyone and try to do other things to make ALS an attractive employer such as employee events, recognition programs and ongoing career development. We do appreciate your comments as they help us see what we can do to make ALS an even better place to work.
heavy work load, face-paced environment
ALS is okay for entry level positions who are looking for expereince, but you have to expect to do lots of overtime on busy season / getting hours cut on slow season if you are hired as casual position.
2 January 2020
Thank you for your feedback. Due to the seasonal nature of our business, we do ramp up our staffing levels during the busy times but we are not able to sustain the number of employees during the slower winter months which necessitates lay-offs. We try to minimize this by encouraging leaves/vacation during the slower months and also actively work to bring on business that is more consistent throughout the year. When we hire people for seasonal roles (not all our roles are seasonal), we are honest about this reality during the recruitment process as we recognize the impact lay-offs have on employees. We value your comments and thank you for the time you took to share them with us.
Toxic Work Environment
Horribly managed. Upper management was cutting overtime hours, no new hires. Laid off without reason to save money.
No room to grow, my manager had been there 8 years and only had a $6 raise.

They take advantage foreign workers who can't be accredited here and offer them a job because they can't work elsewhere. Manager lied to coworkers, saying to get an English certification to be eligible for a full-time position, one year later, said they are not eligible anyway.

Staff are overworked, become grumpy as a result, and belittle you while training.

Do not work here long, work here as a last resort. Only a little better than no job at all.
Pros
Money every two weeks
Cons
Work overtime or be fired
25 October 2019
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. It is regrettable that your experience was not aligned with our corporate values or intended workplace experience. If you would like to provide additional feedback, please reach out to us at HR.Enquiries@alsglobal.com. If you state the location you are referring to, it will be routed to the appropriate Regional HR team for further investigation.
Always meeting a certain daily quote
I have learned so much about working in a fast pace environment where you are always working accurately to complete the assigned task or numbers. You need to work really quick, and seat on your desk for hours.
25 October 2019
Thank you for your comments. It is true that our environment is fast paced and accuracy is very important to our customers. We recognize that this environment may not be for everyone; however, we strive to make ALS an engaging place to work through organizing employee activities, giving employees access to ongoing training and providing them with opportunities to share their views. We appreciate your feedback and wish you the best in your future endeavors.
Very rewarding workplace and environment
Supportive, friendly, efficient organization, team shows great leadership and this is an organization who truly cares about helping people and finding a cure.
25 October 2019
Thank you for your comments. Perhaps you intended them for ALS Canada that is working to cure the disease (It is an important cause.) We often get confused with it because the names of our organizations are so similar.
good work place
i do appreciate the workplace .good condition of working but the paid is low the job is a little bit hard the fact you are in the same place for a long time.
25 October 2019
We appreciate your review. It is rewarding to hear that your had an overall positive experience working at ALS. Some aspects of our roles can become routine but we try to instill task variety by introducing rob rotation and giving people access to training so they can learn new skills and complete different tasks. We hope you found a role better suited to what you want and thank you for your contribution to ALS.