ALS Employee Reviews

ALS is a good place to work at if you are looking for a laboratory experience. They offer a lot of environmental services. I have worked there for almost 2 years and I was one of the people to almost get laid off but they changed their mind on the very last day. However, I had to decline and quit due to relocation to another country. On a typical day at work in summer, it gets crazy busy sometimes your break gets late. In winter depending on your department it can also get busy. I learned the basics of laboratory operations and protocols. The management are okay, really sad they have to lay off a lot of their staff in the midst of pandemic but I guess that's business. Job security is nothing at that point. Hardest part of the job is it gets stressful. You're overworked due to amount of workload, understaffed, the pay is really bad, management expects a lot from you, growth doesn't really happen because the opportunity is limited and overtime is expected. Your co-workers make the job enjoyable and there are treats and party too(not free, tho) but nice to see co-workers not in their lab coats.
The worst thing is that there is no job security in this company and at any time you can get laid of with no reason.Some coworkers are nice and some really mean and destructive.The work stress is manageable.
Pros
Nice supervisor and manager
Cons
No job security at all
A typical day at work involved sample collection, testing, and submission of data.I learned a lot about environmental compliance and how that applies to different business practices. Management was very supportive and enforced a strong safety culture. Workplace culture was very professional and collaborative. The hardest part of the job was long hours sometimes required for certain tests. The most enjoyable part of the job was people I worked with and potluck lunch days.
Pros
Strong safety culture, good training program, lots of opportunity for overtime for those interested
Cons
Long hours, occasional understaffing
Working at ALS was fun and rewarding, the staff was friendly and good to get along with, great leadership with clear vision, great experience and highly recommendable...
23 October 2020
Thank you for your comments. It is a pleasure to read when the work we do to engage our employees and create a strong work culture has hit the mark for an employee. We wish you the best and appreciated the feedback.
I worked in the Tribology division (oil and gas). Small laboratory in a huge corporation with a lot of stress and workload, very fast pace. Regional manager is so racist , lab supervisor is so rude and impolite and they cover for each other. The environment is not healthy at all, oily and full of dangerous odors from chemical solvents that there is no willing to fix the issues.
Pros
You will have full time job and if you are permanent benefits
Cons
Weak and very weak management
23 October 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. It is unfortunate to hear the comment about racist management as we are a global employer, embrace diversity and practice equity & inclusion in our workplace. If you would like to provide additional information regarding this statement, we can look in to it further. You can do so by contacting the Integrity Hotline or leaving a message through the "Contact Us" link on alsglobal.com.Because we work with chemicals and other toxic substances, ALS not only meets but exceeds all H&S regulations. H&S underlies everything we do and it is consistently scored in our employee engagement survey at the top of what we do best for our employees. It is surprising to hear that you felt the work environment was not safe and we would love to understand more about it. If you would kindly leave additional information through one of the two avenues above, it would be greatly appreciated!
Toxic managers make your days miserable while not contributing anything useful. The co workers outside of management were quite intelligent. This is a chemical lab version of a sweat shop. Stay away.
Pros
Not the worst starting wage.
Cons
Toxic, zero advancement.
23 October 2020
We appreciate our feedback. It is true that we do experience high sample volumes during our busy season which do increase workloads. It is unfortunate to hear the reference about toxic management. If you would like to provide more information, we can review this situation further. You can leave information through the Integrity Hotline or by messaging us through the "Contact Us" link on alsglobal.com. Thank you for your comments about ALS.
Going through HR do to there false accusations with no steps taken on matter but false accusations and dismissal they tell you employees matter but they don't I was sick and not at work the two days they say I did someting I never did and I will take lie detector test to prove it they know that I was taking steps to go thru there HR to get the people that where bullying me and the three other people
23 October 2020
It sounds like there was a lot happening for you when you were separated from ALS. If you feel that there is additional information that you would like to be considered or if you would like these circumstances to be reviewed further, please contact our Integrity Hotline or send us a message through the Contact US link on alsglobal.com.
Manager calls you racist and a lier when you speak up for your rights, gave out perm lay offs to workers due to covid-19 just to hire new ones 2 weeks later.
Pros
Cons
Worst management
22 October 2020
Thank you for your comments. It is unfortunate to hear that your experience working at ALS was not as we endeavor it to be. It would be helpful to have more information in order to further review the concerns you raise. Please call our Integrity Hotline or email us through the Contact Us link at www.alsglobal.com so we can look further in to your concerns.
They hire most people with University Degrees for Assistant position at minimum wage. Good for entry level to gain some experience. But not something you can spend your life working. Just get experience and find something that pays you fairly.
Pros
clean organized labs and common areas.
Cons
No advancement
22 October 2020
We appreciate your feedback. Given the seasonal nature of our work, it is a good fit for those who are looking to gain work experience in a laboratory setting. As a result, our compensation structure is designed around this seasonal hiring. However, we also have structured wage increase programs in place for permanent employees and professional development opportunities for those that want to grow their career with us. It appears that there is an opportunity to do a better job messaging this to all employees.We sincerely appreciate your comments and hope you found a role that is more rewarding for you!
Most people hired as casual with no guarantee to make it to the end of the year but if you get hired full time its a great place to start out your career to get experience then go somewhere they will pay you properly
24 June 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. Given the seasonal nature of our work, we find that it is a good fit for people who are looking to gain work experience or try out something new. It helps us with our seasonal staffing needs and provides a good opportunity for job seekers to gain that experience. We are happy to hear that it worked so well for you. ALS has also been focusing on employee career development for those employees who remain with ALS and want to grow their career with us. As a global company, we have numerous areas for employees to take that next step; such as management, quality assurance, health & safety and business development. While we do largely employ seasonal employees, we also want people to know that there are career opportunities available at ALS and that we make it a priority to find internal candidates to fill those opportunities first.We thank you again for your feedback and wish you luck in your career!
24 June 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. Given the seasonal nature of our work, we find that it is a good fit for people who are looking to gain work experience or try out something new. It helps us with our seasonal staffing needs and provides a good opportunity for job seekers to gain that experience. We are happy to hear that it worked so well for you. ALS has also been focusing on employee career development for those employees who remain with ALS and want to grow their career with us. As a global company, we have numerous areas for employees to take that next step; such as management, quality assurance, health & safety and business development. While we largely employ seasonal employees, we also want people to know that there are career opportunities at ALS and that we make it a priority to fill those opportunities with internal candidates first. Thank you again for your feedback and good luck with your career!
I enjoy working at ALS environmental in Waterloo. The management is good. Cooperative co workers. Good entry level lab. Work is not so stressful. Overall I like working at this lab
Pros
Good entry level company.
24 June 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. It is rewarding to hear when an employee finds the work culture welcoming and collaborative. Our Waterloo laboratory has done a lot of work in this area through its highly active social committee and engaged management team. We appreciate your feedback; thanks again.
when I was there in 2012 it was a 4 month contract. I was pregnant with my second child so the contract worked out perfectly. There was some stress because it was the busy season so there was lots of over time. It took me about 2 weeks to really start to get use to the job and after about a month I was comfortable with it. It was mostly run by women and the atmosphere was very friendly and team oriented. Everyone helped everyone else when necessary. I really enjoyed it. I would definitely consider going back if they had an opening for me.
24 June 2020
Thank you for your feedback. We are glad to hear that the temporary contract worked well for you. (And we wish you a belated congratulations on the birth of your second child!). Things do get busy during peak season but it is reassuring to hear that employees in the Thunder Bay laboratory remained friendly and helpful. In fact, we have done a Global Employee Engagement Survey the past three years and working with great co-workers consistently scores at the top across the world!If you are interested in working at ALS again, career opportunities can be found on our website at alsglobal.com. We appreciate your comments and wish you the best.
definately lot of potentials to grow. very futuristic, goal oriented fun place to work. I learned many new things from work with task and also from the people I worked with as well
24 June 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. It is encouraging to hear that employees enjoyed working with us and grew their skills while they were at ALS. As a global employer with locations around the world, we have many opportunities for employees to grow their career and develop different skills. And while we do work hard, we also try to inject some fun in to work and recognize employees. It is great to hear when our efforts have an impact. We do appreciate your feedback and wish you the best in your future!
Management there have poor communication skills and they like to like, denie and twist words to make you look bad at times in order to get production out of their workers.
24 June 2020
Thank you for your comments. It is unfortunate to hear about your experience at our Sudbury location as it is not aligned with the work environment that we strive to create for our employees. If you feel comfortable, we would appreciate having more detailed information so we can look into this matter further. You can submit your concern to the "contact us" link on our company website: www.alsglobal.com. Someone in HR will then contact with you. We hope to hear from you and appreciate you bringing this to our attention.
I went in knowing that this company isn't built to retain talent and even strong work ethic. I just wanted to work to get relevant experience. I didn't get any benefits during my 'casual' employment there but I've had significantly better offers since being laid off due to the nature of their work and their management. I wish people didn't spend as much time speaking ill of other competing companies and gossiping behind others back but it comes with the nature of this company and those that work here. They systematically work to keeping things the same and that's not beneficial for ambitious and intellectual folks so as long as you are aware of what you're getting yourself into and what you want out of your job, it's a totally reasonable place to work. Majority of the folks have low education and poor academic foundations but this is appropriate for the jobs/roles within this company and they do invest in training people thoroughly. They're no different from any other third party testing company. Since they don't compensate people fairly, they emphasize on company-wide group meetings where a few individuals get recognition which is definitely encouraging.
Pros
Location is very easily accessible for those without cars
Cons
low pay
24 June 2020
Thank you so much for the detailed and thorough review about your experience working at ALS. The majority of employees we hire are temporary due to the seasonal nature of our work. It is true that we hire temporary employees at entry level wages and that the work can get routine. However, for employees that remain with ALS, there are opportunities to develop additional skills and grow a career. Sounds like you saw a bit of that in the thorough training you referenced. Fostering a constructive work culture is important to us. It is great to hear about that in your comments around recognition and training. However, it is unfortunate to hear about gossiping and unprofessional comments about competitors. If you would like to share more detail about this, please go to the "contact us" link on our company website: www.alsglobal.com and someone in HR will reach out to you. Again, we sincerely appreciate your feedback and are truly happy to hear that you were able to use the experience you obtained by working at ALS to find a better employment opportunity after being laid off. We do wish you the best!
I worked with a great North American team and had a wonderful manager who helped coach me. The staff made it an enjoyable place to come and work everyday
24 June 2020
Thank you so much for the positive review! We strive to create a team oriented and collaborative atmosphere and it is reassuring when we hear that our efforts have had the intended impact with an employee. It is even more wonderful to hear about how your manager helped and coached you. While we don't get things right for everyone, it is appreciated when we hear that we do. We do appreciate your comments and wish you the best.
The pay is fairly low even for specialized positions in the lab. It is an OK place to work at if you need a temp job but most people don't stay there for more than a year because the pay is so low.
Pros
Not too stressful
Cons
Poor pay, lack of advancement
24 June 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. Because our work is so seasonal, we do recruit temporary employees at an entry level wage. For employees who remain with ALS, we offer regular wage increases and career development opportunities so they can expand their skill set and grow their careers. We do appreciate your feedback and wish you the best in your future endeavors.
Apparently working there for a long time doesn’t mean anything for the company. Tho you’re the last to get laid off but definitely not the first ones to get call back. Overworked and underpaid during busy season and management is horrible and selfish. They lay everyone off with a months notice and THEN on the very last day they cancel your lay off and doesn’t care if you have other plans. Overall the people are nice and smart. Only work there if you need a summer or coop job otherwise you’re better off somewhere else. Job security is garbage and basically non existent
24 June 2020
Thank you for your comments, we sincerely appreciate your honesty and can see what a difficult time the past few months have been. During May, the Company was in the middle of managing its response to the Covid-19 pandemic. There was a lot of uncertainty around what the long term impact to the business was going to be and work was dropping globally. Based on local contract requirements, we were required to provide four weeks advance notice of lay-offs. We earnestly tried to rescind those notices as quickly as we could; however, there were some that we weren't in a position to do until close to the deadline. Having said that, almost all of the employees (over 90%) who were given lay-off notice are back at work which hopefully provides some re-assurance.Covid -19 was an unimaginably challenging time and one that we hope never to go through again. We truly recognize and appreciate everyone who stuck it out with us and we thank you for sharing what your experience was like.
Good work place to learn and gain skills and training. I am very thankful that I worked at ALS as i'm now benefiting with all the training and skills I've got.
24 June 2020
Thank you for leaving a review. We love to hear how working at ALS helps people. Because of the seasonal nature of our work, we often find that there is a good fit for people who are looking to gain work experience. This provides a great opportunity to gain valuable experience and helps us get through our busy peak season. We are happy it worked out for you!
The people are fantastic to work with and the variety of work experience you can obtain here is valuable in early career development. Day to day work at the Saskatoon location is dynamic and changes frequently. You learn to operate various instrumentation, apply and hone analytical techniques, and the workings of QA/QC. It is a fast pace environment that requires fast learning, high stress, and quick thinking. The work is rewarding, people are knowledgeable, and coworkers are great at helping you when you need it.
Pros
Flexible hours
24 June 2020
Thank you for such a detailed review. It is rewarding to hear when employees were able to experience what ALS has to offer. We do have a fast paced environment where people can learn about many aspects of a production laboratory (ie. Quality, Health & Safety) and get more exposure to operating technical equipment. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your time at ALS and wish you the best in your future endeavors.
This place crushes and pulverize core. Full time. However it's hard to move up in management positions. Overall a great place to work Competative wages
24 June 2020
Thank you for your feedback. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed working at ALS. Workplace culture has been a priority for us and it is rewarding to hear when our efforts are having an impact. We also have been focusing on career development for employees. While there is often only one manager per location, we have many locations across North America which creates more opportunities to move into a management role for those that are able to relocate. We appreciate hearing from you and thank you for taking the time to leave a review.
  1. Employee reviews