ALS Employee Reviews

Good family Environment
Lab Assistant (Casual) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 February 2019
This job comes with very little job security. I also wouldn't say the pay is competitive.

However I've seen a lot of bad reviews for ALS and I don't share the disappointment. I thought the management team was kind and I loved the family feel atmosphere they fostered. It is a fast pace environment with a steep learning curve.

The team in ALS are always happy to help you along your way, (Despite them all being very busy themselves.) as long as you show interest in improvement.

The people with permanent positions at ALS seem happy and ful-filled with their jobs. This is important for me to note because I've worked for a lot of companies, and often I find the employees stressed, and miserable. It's rare to find Coworkers coming in for OT on the weekend with positive attitudes.

They do expect a lot of OT but you are well paid for it. No one expects you to work for free.(This may seem obvious to most. But a lot of companies will refuse you OT and still deem you unmotivated for not staying an extra half an hour for volunteer work. )

If there was more job security and better pay I would have loved to make ALS my forever job. I'll miss the work and the people.
No job security
Data entry (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON4 February 2019
Management is terrible, No job security and work balance. They show themselves as great company to work for but it's just a sham as you will be laid off or fired in just few months. Not an ideal company to work for.
Pros
Co workers
Cons
Management, No job security
Safety is not a priority
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON25 January 2019
If you're looking for lab experience keep looking...ALS Burlington is just a dysfunctional black sheep in an otherwise good company.
You will be on a contract basis forever, hours will be cut when production slows down, management doesn't care about safety AT ALL. Coworkers are good but mostly miserable and looking for alternative employment.
Pros
Benefit package is good- IF you can get full time
Cons
Management is TERRIBLE
Awful place to work
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON16 January 2019
There is absolutely no job security at this company. They hire more staff than they need as casual employees and then the majority of them are laid off in the winter. I was laid off in the middle of my shift and escorted out of the building in front of dozens of my former co-workers. This happened to several other employees as well. They pretend to care about their employees, but humiliate them by laying them off in the middle of a shift. I would not recommend working here.
Pros
Friendly staff, flexible hours
Cons
No job security, no benefits
Good place to start
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 January 2019
I was hired on contract as a lab assistant in the Inorganics department right out of university. I was given a shift of Sunday-Thursday 11a-7p. Overall, it was a really good place to work for 4 months to gain lab experience. Everyone there was awesome. They were really flexible about hours- you could come in late or early if you needed to without a problem, as long as you got everything done. Super understanding about the whole “life outside of work” concept. Work wasn’t hard, just very repetitive, and involved a lot of overtime and later nights during the busy season (October-November). It was a great place to start for me but they have high employee turn-around rates because it all depends on volume of samples and funding.
Pros
Flexible, great environment, lots of potlucks
Cons
Not great pay, lots of overtime, repetitive
good
Microbiology Analyst (Former Employee) –  ireland22 October 2018
good workplace, good co workers. average pay. good location and training is good. good progress
willing to teach. hours can be long with shift work and management is good
Pros
good people
Horrible job horrible people
Labourer (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC8 September 2018
Its a seasonal job No point to try for this job you will be fired before your 3 months is over. Ever Christmas they screw you over. Worst company in Canada to work for.
Pros
Cons
Evertthing
30 October 2018

It is unfortunate to hear that your experience with ALS was not as positive as we endeavor it to be. Our work is highly seasonal which means that we do need to staff for the busy summer months and then reduce levels during the slower winter months. We make every effort during the hiring process to be honest about that in order to avoid disappointing employees. In the future, we will step up our messaging to ensure that employees hired for seasonal work fully understand that.

Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC16 August 2018
Nice place to work. Every one are professional in dealing with job related problem. Friendly environment. Clean and environmentally friendly work place
30 October 2018

Thank you for your positive feedback! It is rewarding to hear that our efforts to make ALS a great place to work are making an impact for some employees.

It's an OK place to be
Shipper / Receiver / Driver (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB28 June 2018
Nice place to work. Very friendly environment. Very nice Supervisors and Managers.
Every time we hit our marks, we get free food cooked and prepared by the Managers.
Pros
Lot of free food
30 October 2018

Thank you for the positive comments about your experience working at ALS. As a company, we do actively seek ways to show our appreciation for the hard work employees do and it is great to see that the Managers at our Winnipeg location are actively doing that!

Horrible Trainer Experience.
Lab. (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC19 June 2018
The trainer assigned to me did not enjoy teaching. Treated trainees as sub-human. I dreaded going to work because of this individual.

Everyone else was nice.
Pros
Decent pay for entry level
30 October 2018

That is very unfortunate to hear you had that experience at ALS. Had management or HR been made aware, we may have been able to work with the trainer and assist the situation. If you still feel this way, please contact the site HR Representative and we will absolutely look in to it if it is not too late.

Good entry-level experience - not much else
analyst (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON28 May 2018
Good atmosphere, loved the people I worked with. Management, however, was impersonal, condescending, and couldn't care less for you as a person. Poor scheduling led to longer than 8 hour days. Training was minimal and sink or swim. The wages weren't worth the pressure and accountability placed on you not only to ensure quality but to keep up with ambitious turn-around times.

As a casual employee you will work the same hours, manage the same insane workloads, and receive less training than the vets, and yet receive none of the bells and whistles that ALS claims makes them a great company to work for - and when things get tight for the lab (due to administrative negligence), you will be the first to go.

I'd love to recommend it as a great place for recent grads to get some entry-level experience, but unfortunately my experience here left me with a bad taste for the lab life.
Pros
Co-workers
30 October 2018

The unfortunate reality of our industry is that our work is highly seasonal and can escalate quickly. This means that workloads often increase faster than our ability to recruit and train up enough employees.

We do realize that this can create pressure on employees, particularly those who are still learning their jobs. We always have an eye on continuous improvement and will continue to look at ways to improve our recruiting, onboarding and training processes. Thank you for your comments, we appreciate hearing all feedback whether it be positive or an area of improvement.

poor overtime practices
Login Clerk, Client Services Dept (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 April 2018
tried to force overtime even if you had prior engagements. one of the supervisors was on maternity leave when i started and when she came back she tried to force me to work all this extra time. in the 3 months that i had been there at the time i had not had to work extra time so i simply refused.
30 October 2018

It is unfortunate to hear that you had this experience at ALS. Because our business is largely seasonal, we often experience large fluctuations in sample volumes which may necessitate overtime hours. However, overtime is voluntary and it is regrettable that the supervisor in question wasn't acting in a manner that is consistent with this.

We are committed to maintaining a respectful workplace. If employees have any questions or concerns regarding workplace conduct, they are encouraged to bring them to the attention of the laboratory manager or Human Resources.

good place to work, nice people
Environmental Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 March 2018
It was a good place to work, lots of team building. staff help each other and get a long. good safety program as it is a lab. very clean and well maintained.
30 October 2018

Thank you for the positive comments. We do try strive to make our work environment pleasant and engaging for all employees. It is rewarding to hear about employees having that experience.

Account Manager
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON16 March 2018
managing various accounts, reviewing laboratory results from the samples sent in by various clients, interacting with clients, interacting with the lab analysts.
Pros
Nice co-workers
30 October 2018

Thank you for your comments. The Account Manager is a busy role with a lot of variety. Perfect for someone who likes to work with different people, manage a diverse workload and engage with clients.

Great place to start
Lab Analyst (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON15 March 2018
Nice and fun team, great management, good working atmosphere. Work load is balanced, you have access to all instrumentation you need. Organized and stress less.
30 October 2018

Thank you for the positive feedback. It is great to hear that you enjoy working at ALS and hope you continue to find your career here rewarding.

Friendly management and flexible hours
Sample Prep Technician (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC15 March 2018
Great company to work for, wish I could have had more notice on being laid off as well as being notified that they didn't know when they would bring me back after giving me a date which i would be contacted
30 October 2018

Thank you for the positive comment and it is regrettable that you did not get the amount of layoff notice that you would have preferred. We do try to give employees a reasonable amount of notice; however, there are times when samples reduce so quickly that we don't always have the time to do so.

We do wish you the best in your future employment and appreciate the work you did while at ALS.

Charge de travail
preposé a la preparation (Former Employee) –  Val-d'Or, QC5 March 2018
Trop de charge de travail et conditions difficiles
Complete waste of time.
Lab Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 February 2018
If I could give this zero, I would. The management doesn’t care about concerns and senior staff acts like they can get away with everything because they will never get fired. They try to get as much overtime out of you as they can and you have no life outside of work. They don’t properly train people. Whenever something goes wrong, they blame it on the new employees because they consider them inexperienced even when they were clearly at fault. There is no team environment. Working at ALS was the biggest waste of time. I would avoid this place like the plague.
Pros
Absolute zero.
Cons
You get treated like dirt and it’s a waste of time.
19 September 2018

It is very unfortunate that your employment experience at ALS was not as we endeavor it to be. Due to the seasonal nature of the industry we work in, we experience high sample volumes at certain points during the year and, because of this, we ask employees to work overtime. However, working overtime is voluntary and while many employees are happy to earn the additional income, we do not require them to do so.

Our high sample volumes also challenge our ability to quickly ramp up our staffing levels and train new employees. We do have a structured H&S and training program which provides a consistent approach to training new employees and strives to equip them with the knowledge required for their job. We regularly review our training with an eye towards continuous improvement and will keep your comments in mind when doing so. Thank you very much for your feedback.

Fantastic work environment.
Shipping Recieving / Login Clerk (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 January 2018
During my time at ALS I genuinely could not wait to get out of bed in the morning, the staff were all friendly, easy to talk to, and welcoming to the workplace.

Plenty of opportunities for overtime and extra shifts if you require them, pay is at an industry average and most of their work seasonal.

I will always recommend this company as an employer.
30 October 2018

Thank you for your positive comments! It is rewarding to hear that someone had such a great experience working at ALS. While seasonal work can be a challenge for some people, it is great to see that it works for someone and that they enjoy some of the perks that come along with it (ie. extra hours and overtime).

Productive and fun environment
Sample Prep Technician (Former Employee) –  West Vancouver, BC3 January 2018
The prep stample tech was normally fast paced and sort of boring once you got the hang of it. But that was good if you don't want a lot of stress. Everyone was always friendly and welcoming. Management was always an open door policy and super friendly. Once things got busy you could take as much overtime as you wanted, lots of fun events, treats and/or food provided occasionally which was great! Honestly, environment wise one of my best job experiences, little stress and always looked forwards to see the staff.
Pros
Free lunches/treats and fun events, great staff.
Cons
Long wait to get medical, winter lay offs
30 October 2018

It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed working at ALS! Your description of what it is like at the Vancouver location is exactly the work environment we actively foster. Thank you for sharing that our efforts are having the desired impact.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ALS. Our community is ready to answer.