ALS Group Employee Reviews

Complete waste of time.
Lab Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 February 2018
If I could give this zero, I would. The management doesn’t care about concerns and senior staff acts like they can get away with everything because they will never get fired. They try to get as much overtime out of you as they can and you have no life outside of work. They don’t properly train people. Whenever something goes wrong, they blame it on the new employees because they consider them inexperienced even when they were clearly at fault. There is no team environment. Working at ALS was the biggest waste of time. I would avoid this place like the plague.
Pros
Absolute zero.
Cons
You get treated like dirt and it’s a waste of time.
Official response from ALS Group
19 September 2018

It is very unfortunate that your employment experience at ALS was not as we endeavor it to be. Due to the seasonal nature of the industry we work in, we experience high sample volumes at certain points during the year and, because of this, we ask employees to work overtime. However, working overtime is voluntary and while many employees are happy to earn the additional income, we do not require them to do so.

Our high sample volumes also challenge our ability to quickly ramp up our staffing levels and train new employees. We do have a structured H&S and training program which provides a consistent approach to training new employees and strives to equip them with the knowledge required for their job. We regularly review our training with an eye towards continuous improvement and will keep your comments in mind when doing so. Thank you very much for your feedback.

Horrible company to work for
Laboratory Analyst (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON20 October 2017
Only good for experience. Definitely not a good company to work for. Pay is horrible and it is very hard to get a raise. They will expect you to work overtime and learn many things, but rarely will they actually give you analyst level bumps.
Pros
Good experience before getting a better job
Cons
Long hours, bad pay, bad environment
Do what you can to not work here
Inorganic analyst (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON5 April 2017
With Thunder Bay being so small it's hard to get good laboratory work expierence. Management knows this and they use this knowledge to treat their employees poorly because they have no other options. If what your looking for is poor pay, bad management, no job security and a mental health crisis - look no further than ALS Thunder Bay. Don't work here if you're a student, have a family or have self respect- you will not have a work life balance and ALS makes their scheduals more complicated than they need to be and will poorly accommodate you.

After years of quality service I was laid off and management did not give me the courtesy of a good bye. Thank you ALS you did a good job at making a young person so cynical about having a career in this field. If this is what my future holds I want no part in it.

Staff that isn't management was great and very friendly. Work was fun, when you didn't think about how much money you make or how poorly the company treats its employees.
Pros
Free counselling
Cons
Management, pay, job security, no work life balance, not accommodating to scheduals
A learning experience
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay19 June 2015
ALS was a great place to get started in the industry, but not for long. Many jobs are seasonal contract that will lay you off in the winter and likely not rehire. They pay less than industry standards for lab analysts, so don't expect your education to have any leverage on wage. 6 days a week was not uncommon for some because of weekend work and a refusal to hire more staff or rotate days. Training was 2 weeks with policies and procedures without seeing or setting foot in the lab or having anything practical. Advancement is prohibitively lacking. There is a clear line between management and lab workers. Management often has no clue what the workers do so communication isn't very effective. It seems the company policy is to change constantly, often for no good reason. What works in BC is expected to work in Ontario regardless of lab capabilities, staffing, clientelle, or provincial lab standards.

ALS does not value skill. Many staff were cut during staffing changes and departmental restructuring, then ALS would rehire for the position a few months later. The senior staff were either analysts who had workstations to themselves, or management. Everyone else came in and left through the same revolving door. My lab was a social club for friends of management, and a daily exhibition of managerial political battles.

On the positive side, they do take safety and data integrity seriously. They do everything in their power to correct mistakes. They bend over backwards for customers. With the right co-workers, and minimal management intrusion (best of luck) it's a
  more... decent workplace.

ALS will teach you things about science and the environment. It will also teach you that if you find it exciting and value a truly cooperative workplace, there are better places to be. If you are educated, you will be underemployed here. If you are undereducated, you will be hired, paid accordingly, but have an opportunity to learn about environmental science, lab culture, and how to not manage people.
Pros
Learning on the job
Cons
Management, no value placed on skill or tenure
ALS removed all negative reviews from indeed
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edmonton3 February 2015
But don't worry, you can still go to Glass door. Companies can't remove reviews from there. ALS has destroyed several labs globally that they had taken over simply because they will not allow people to continue doing jobs the way they know works in their field and in their market.
Pros
Cons
worst managed contact lab ever.
terriable management
analyst (Former Employee) –  edmonton8 November 2014
Even scientist and supervisors are less knowledge persons. can't answer the client question. Bad service-------------
Pros
Cons
increase wage only 20-40 cents for most employee, only some have good relationship with supervisiors can get more wage