Alpha International Academy

Alpha International Academy Employee Reviews

Canada14 reviews
They really value my talents. I feel appreciated everyday. The students are great and always upbeat. Great atmosphere for teaching. I get all the support I need and total freedom to teach my classes.
great organization to work for! Part time fits my personal schedule and I am very happy with the organization. The staff at alpha is very good to work for and with
This school is literally a scam because the owners treat staff horribly. Students are given free rein to cheat on exams and not pay their fees.

During my time there, they never once taxed me on my pay because I was considered an 'independent contractor' and this got me into serious difficulty come tax time. Employment at this place is like a revolving door and staff are always gone for the flimsiest of reasons.

Staff members are treated poorly, we are overworked with zero support from a group of lazy employees who spy on you and snitch to the bosses to save their own skins.

If you get an interview with this company then please respectfully decline because this is a stressful, horrific and thoroughly toxic place which will probably be more trouble than its worth and you are paid a pittance for your troubles.
Alpha is a very uncomfortable place to work. Low salary, constant turnover, random firings, hours for front desk staff are changed without notice and people are told they suddenly have to work weekends or they will be fired. Very disorganized processes that change constantly.

Management is hostile and screams at staff on a regular basis in meetings. Staff are encouraged to lie to students to get them to change programs to hit intake targets. The school is focused on profiting off students with high fees and not providing them with quality learning. There is constant turnover of instructors also, many have poor credentials. Students cheat constantly and exams are not well monitored.

I would not recommend working here as the stress is not worth the low salary.
Poor company culture. Owner lies to you in the interview process about student size; says 40, balloons into 65+ with no extra support. Doesn't tell you about next semester, making it hard to schedule your own schedule. The IT is a mess; uses outdated software as long as its open source. Doesn't even have anything to reward outstanding teachers or students. Interview process is flawed; took 15 minutes, didn't ask for credentials, didn't ask for teaching techniques/philosophy. Went straight to pay rate, hours availability and literally 'a check list' of classes that you can teach without seeing the syllabus. SLC is literally blind, stupid or just ignoring the fact that their college brand value is sinking with Alpha. Enjoy it while it lasts.
Very supportive bunch. Lots of resource material and experienced professionals to get intel from. Salary is more than fair. The students are all very respectful and eager to learn.
I was there for one year and I am positive that the good reviews are fakes. This is an incredibly terrible environment to work in. Maybe do it for a year for experience if you need it...but plan to move on.
I have been working at Alpha International Academy since 2014. I think this is a good college to work for. Alpha is catering to international students. Most of them are eager to learn and respectful to teachers. The college has gradually developed the framework for quality assurance with the help of St. Lawrence College. The faculty and students all have clear expectations for the course delivery and academic requirement.
I started as a part time faculty, but I am now a full time faculty thanks to my dedication to the job and good support from the management team. I am pleased with the working environment, the service of the support staff and the management style of the administrators. If you like teaching and have passion in teaching a diverse student body, definitely Alpha is the place to start and grow.
I have been working as a faculty at Alpha for about a year now. My experience thus far -
Interview: Major thrust was quality management and subject knowledge.

Employment - As a faculty, the stakeholders I deal with are students, admin and operations team, and higher management. Most of the students are international and have to manage work with studies. Funding their education themselves, they take school seriously and respect faculty a lot. Admin and operations team is prompt, co-operative, understanding, friendly and flexible. Higher management supportive up to the extent that I was given a pay rise in my very second semester. Just a few days ago, I landed in some hardship and requested help. They have robustly stood by me in this time of need and have made me feel Alpha to be my second family. All in all, a great place to work.
The owners are terrible people. They
Do not value their employees at all, and believe they are replaceable from the day they start. Believe it or not, you will be fired if your entire class passes!! Carefully ask what their policies are in the interview, then try to hide your shock when they admit it!
I think Alpha International is an excellent place to start your teaching career and grow your professional experience. As a part-time instructor. I had been working there for almost 5 years. Working environments were quite friendly. The school owners, admin, academic team and IT support team were fast and very supportive. At that time, they even set up a continuous training seminar/workshop with St. Lawrence college for professional developments. It was a very motivating experience for me. As I knew, most of students were international students. Some of them were having very good potentials with qualified education background. If you are the one who are seriously passionate in teaching, this is a right place for you. And if you follow the course outline to teach well and deliver the knowledge efficiently, students will love you and they will show their best performance for you. This should be the same scenario just like you teach similar qualified students at any universities or colleges.

That's my two cents.
This college is a revolving door of instructors. They get rid of all instructors after one or two terms and hire non stop. They tell instructors negative things about other instructors. The co-owner who hired me regularly bad mouthed the other instructors to me. It was my impression they hire more than they need to keep everyone on edge as to who they will ask back. It was not unusual to see 60-80 students in classes and instructors get no teaching assistants. They look the other way when students cheat, do not attend class and change marks without telling the instructors after they have been entered.

When I was there I witnessed wide spread cheating and absences from class and students were rude, disrespectful and told me if I did not give them a high mark they would complain about me. Other students wanted to do well but felt overwhelmed by the majority of students not taking their studies seriously, the cheating, the lateness and absences and talking during class.

The husband and wife owners were told by me and other instructors as to the wide spread cheating and absences and there response was to hide it and fire us.

I would strongly suggest you do not teach here.
Pros
Cons
crowded classes, wide spread cheating and missed classes
This college is good for teaching. students are international and not really here to study but to get PR Card. Administration is good and cooperative. All students are from one ethnic community . They do give a lot of respect to teachers. They have to support their expenses by working really hard and pay fees so they are normally tired and exausted. some of them really want to learn as well but majority wants to go home or go to job.
Pros
Good place to teach
Cons
We do not know if we are getting next semester or not
Alpha International Academy is a college for the International students. I am working in AIC for about a year and for five days per week. The workplace culture is good, and I like to continue my work as a professor. But, the job title is part time, and I feel its better to have a full time or permanent job. Every semester you see improvements and this will make you motivated to work as best as you can.
Pros
Workplace culture
Cons
Being a part time instructor not full time