Almita Piling Inc. Employee Reviews

Dynamic Company
Field Quality Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Ponoka, AB18 February 2019
Learned a lot on the job and worked in a dynamic work setting. My job responsibility increased over time which allowed me to train and advance my skill sets.
Great crew you work with. Manager is horrible.
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Ponoka, AB29 January 2019
One of the worst companies I've worked for. Horrible safety and seeing guys getting injured left and right due to the company and they just try to screw the injured person over it's sad to see. Genuinely surprised why the manager hasnt been fired yet.
Pros
Great guys on the crew.
Cons
Horrible management.
Great Company & Postive Work Environment
Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON17 December 2018
Management is supportive with proper training & learning tools offered to make you successful.

Almita managers will tell you" No questions are stupid questions" Great support by the management team and they are never to busy to help you out.

Almita is a company that makes sure everyone in the industry is the best that they can be, with a business helping business mindset adding value to employees & customers. Almita is environmentally friendly & doing great things for our economy.

The core values at Almita strive on a positive work environment, this is so important because working in a negative environment is maybe why you are reading this😊

If you have the opportunity to work for Almita its like winning the job lottery a great place to work!
Pros
Great Work Environment
Cons
Continuous Growth
I loved the work and the people I worked with.
Field Quality Control Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Ponoka, AB5 November 2018
I loved the challenge of the job and the great people that I worked with. Overall, it is a very good company to work for. The group benefits are better than some that I have seen in the past.
Poorly Managed Company
SALES & INVENTORY COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 October 2018
My experience with Almita was lacking to say the least, I was appointed to look after the installer network. This part I enjoyed and excelled in however there was very little support from my immediate supervisor. I basically taught myself and my manager kept me in the dark most of the time. He only wanted me to know so much. Just enough to get by. The Estimating Manager was my God Send. She was about the only good thing at Almita in terms of support and training. I'd say my manager was the worst manager I have ever had. To be honest I think he actually wanted me to fail which seems counter productive because if I was doing well it would have reflected positively for him. Either way after about 9 months I was let go without any reason and I've kept in touch with some of my installers and they were all surprised to hear that I was no longer able to help them. I've recently heard they aren't doing to well in that department. I chalked this up to my managers failure, not mine.
Pros
Estimating Managers
Cons
Both Installer Network Managers were awful
Great Company
HSE Manager - Head Office (Former Employee) –  Ponoka, AB4 July 2018
Good working conditions. Support of leadership team is apparent at all levels of the organization. Good wages and benefits. The safety culture has evolved to very high standards.

Good training and advancement opportunities. Strong leadership in all areas.
Growth phase was good, however downturn caused culture to change
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Ponoka, AB28 March 2018
At first the company was a good place to work, growing and expanding. However the economic downturn caused the company to start waves of layoffs and the culture changed.
Pros
Company truck
Cons
Long hours and lots of out of town travel
Poorly Managed Company
Office Staff (Former Employee) –  Ponoka, AB15 November 2017
The leadership team is awful. They will only advance "yes" people. Management is awful at recognizing employee strengths and skills sets. Management is notorious for putting the wrong people in leadership positions.

The employees were amazing and worked well as a team in spite of leadership/management.

They have almost ran this place into the ground and let go of some very strong key people.

Too bad, they really had potential.
Pros
Staff and product
Cons
Management and leadership
Great place to work!
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Ponoka, AB9 November 2017
A typical day at work includes starting your day with a safety meeting of what we were going to do that day, you then proceeded to your workstation and did your daily workplace hazard assessment. Afterwards you directed your labourer (if you had one) to their tasks and continued the night shifts task or start new tasks for which ever work orders needed to be done that day.
Pros
Pizza lunches every quarter
Cons
Employee disciplinary actions sometimes lacking
Great Team on the frontlines
JR. Controller (Former Employee) –  Ponoka, AB6 November 2017
A company on the rise.

Excellent team of front line staff striving to build strong efficient process to keep up with a high demand of production, sales and installation.

Had promising growth opportunities.

Impacted negatively by the oil and gas recession.

Layoffs resulted in a somber working environment
Pros
Front Line Staff
Cons
Industry Impacted by Oil and Gas Recession
New Employee
Various Positions (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 November 2017
It appears that this company has been going through a change in management and structure. Of course this means growing pains but the people are great. A team atmosphere is growing.
It has been a good but tough experience so far but I believe in the path the company is shooting for.
Overall I'm happy and enjoy my coworkers as well as going to work everyday.
not enough work communication
Operator (Former Employee) –  Ponoka, AB2 October 2017
lack of work poor communication from management, low wages, aggressive and rude supervisors poor quality products and in general way over rated and priced
All for one
Loader Operator/Class 1 Driver/excavator Operator (Former Employee) –  Ponoka, AB12 June 2017
The time i spent at Almita was only good when i was away on a job, and also with the right people. Most supervisors there were only worried about the job and not the well being of the workers or equipment. The communication at the company was way less than should be required at any company. Equipment was not up to standards for the details of the job. Every job i every went on either broke down on site or didnt even make it out of the yard. Also most supervisors would put hours in that were untrue ( less hours than you actually worked).
Pros
Some field staff were awesome
Cons
Read the Review
review
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 April 2017
They are good to their employees. The salary is good and the work environment is good. No issues to say about the company. I wish them much success...
Pros
salary
Cons
commuting
Poor Work/Life Balance
Office Staff (Former Employee) –  Ponoka, AB7 April 2016
The approach of Almita is that you should be completely committed to your job and be available to work extra hours, even when you are not compensated for additional hours. This leads to a poor work/life balance.

Benefits were good, salaries were okay but maybe a little below average. Lack of opportunity for advancement and little job security.

Often felt like just a number with the management. However, there are lots of great people who work for the company which often made it a positive place to work. However, being a small town, management tends to protect their own families and friends so there is a feeling that the company has favorites who are immune to staffing changes or the rules that other employees must follow. Some employees (and departments) were allowed to act like brutes or bullies toward others as a result of being among the company's "favorites."

The company's management has a vision, but it often seemed too reactive instead of proactive.

In summary, this was not the worst job I have ever had, but wasn't the best either.
productive and fun workplace with helpful staffs
Labourer III/Swamper/Driver (Current Employee) –  Ponoka County, AB24 January 2016
Productive and fun workplace. Very accommodating, self sufficient staff and managers. Company is willing to educate staff for a better performances.
Pros
free lunches or dinner
Heavy Management, Poorly Managed Company, High Turn-Over
Prefer not to say (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, Ponoka26 November 2015
This company have all the potential of being Canada's top leader in helical screw piles, but unfortunately, they are not even close to what they vision or dream.

Engineers are often pressured by Sales and perhaps Leadership Team into cutting design in order to win the job. However, the engineering team consists of talented individuals, very competent, and friendly. Engineers know their helical pile design inside out, what works, and what does not.

Sales Managers/Account Managers are very friendly to work with, but again, they are under pressure to win, win, win. Every potential project/bid is a GO, even if screw piles are not remotely favorable for the location.

A few projects executed were over budget, and poorly executed due to poor project management control, or lack of authority, and lack of understanding of the project scope of work and technical requirements. Some of the PM have limited understanding and/or knowledge of the piling industry, let alone standard practices unique to the helical piling industry. QA/QC has lots of green people who often lack the skills, management, and understanding of data collection requirements unique to the helical piling industry, but they are a bunch of over-worked staff. Company lacks a PMIS, and a system for handling the vast amount of data collected during installation. The data is electronically recorded, but there is no system in place to automate data evaluation, and presentation. Lots of manual data inputs and manipulation as well. Lots of re-work when piles are installed at wrong locations, or wrong pile installed
  more... at the correct location...hence, requiring more resources from engineering, project management, and QA/QC.

The Ponoka shop is very impressive with start of the art machinery. The company is full of humble, hard working, knowledgeable staff, especially in the Ponoka manufacturing facility.

Learned a lot and will take skills/knowledge somewhere else. Also, one of their former core values was "Got Your Back"....yeah right...got your back after they have laid-off so many workers. If you plan of joining them, ask them what their turn over rate is. There are other helical pile companies to consider before you join this one.
Pros
People, Culture, Work Ethics
Cons
Upper Management
Project Controller
PROJECT CONTROLLER (Current Employee) –  Ponoka, AB17 September 2015
Great companyt to work for. Limited opportunities to advance but good contracting opportunities. Great leadership team and very supportive.
Local helical pile business
QA/QC Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ponoka, AB2 September 2015
Small corporation that was close to home to allow a quick and easy commute.
Came into the company at an entry level and was soon given the opportunity to take over as Manager and develop the QA/QC department and its required roles.
Avoid this company at all costs
no longer employed (Former Employee) –  head office12 July 2015
if you are looking for a career this is not the company to achieve this with, management heavy, they will let essential employee(s) go to keep management personnel and their family members employed. But on a side note the non management members are great to work with family atmosphere
Pros
great people to work with
Cons
not loyal to their employees

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Almita Piling Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Almita Piling Inc. Reviews by Location