Allure Body Bar

Canada19 reviews

Insights into Allure Body Bar

Areas for improvement
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Fair pay for job

Micromanaging overshadows great staff

The staff are very supportive and warm. However, management has very high expectations. It is also very demanding of your time. If you have a second job, you will be critiqued for not prioritizing them. Considering you’re making minimum wage and can’t afford living solely off the job, it is tough to choose one over the other. The job itself isn't just front desk. It's front desk and running a storefront on your own. For people with less experience, it would take time to get it 100% right.But management/owners expect everything to be perfect within a short period of time and act passive aggressive towards you when you make mistakes. Overall, the staff are amazing and will even help you. They recognize your hard work and are appreciate. Other front desk staff are also pretty amazing.

Pros

Waxing services for employees, great staff

Cons

Management, less hours, minimum wage

I still work here and I would never leave.

The management is awesome, they’re super understanding and always in touch with you especially now during quarantine. The clients in the area are all so nice and amazing, the co workers became more like family. The new manager at the Toronto location is awesome she’s so nice and communicative. I love it here and can’t wait to return back to work once lockdown ends.

Pros

Overall amazing

Cons

No cons from me

Friendly Staff...Poor Management

The job overall is not difficult if you have had experience in a receptionist /front desk position. However, you are expected to essentially manage the store by yourself with no manager on-site so it can be overwhelming for an individual who is not a quick learner or who does not thrive in a fast-paced environment. The job itself pays minimum wage which is in my opinion underpaid given the expected tasks and the level of responsibility that is required of you. The actual staff at the location are some of the loveliest people I have come across and deserve all the praise for being kind, professional and all-around great at their jobs which made my job easier. Many of the customers are also regulars and very easy to get along with. The management on the other hand leaves something to be desired. The rules they have in place are important and beneficial to the business however they are constantly changing with little-to-zero notice therefore I would encourage that they try to aim for more consistency when implementing a new policy or procedure. They tend to micromanage staff, talk behind their backs and create a toxic environment due to their constant gossiping and blatant favouritism. This behaviour contributes significantly to their high turnover ( from my own personal experience and the experience of others I have spoken with). They talk constantly about maintaining a "professional" environment however their actions do not always reflect this. I almost pity them a bit because they would always question why the turnover is so high and try to blame the staff who quit however -

Pros

friendly staff at location/ free waxing

Cons

toxic management/ low salary

No job security whatsoever

The job itself is quite simple, and easy to learn. The friendly staff make the job enjoyable to say the least. But, management is all over the place with a lot of drama that you are warned about in the interview. Listen to the reviews that say not to apply here. There is a reason they have such a high turnover rate. Save your time and energy and apply somewhere else.

HORRIBLE, unsafe place to work with rude management

Management here is AWFUL! During the interview, they really wanted to make it clear that you must be "open to criticism". Their "criticism" is sighing at you and being passive aggressive. For example, on my SECOND DAY I did not answer the phone as I should have (first time that happened), and the person who was training me sighs dramatically and says "I'LL get it." I worked reception for over two years and have had over 5 years of customer service and never have I ever heard management be so degrading to their employees. Also being paid minimum wage to take care of the ENTIRE store AND taking out the GARBAGE ALONE AT 9PM? (It's not even like the dumpster is right behind the store). It is NOT EVEN IN THE SAME PLAZA! The dump is in the lower level parking lot right behind Nofrills after you go down TWO flights of stairs, about a 2 minute walk away from the store...Please do not waste your time applying here. There are much friendlier places to work with staff who actually cares about you and your safety.

Pros

Free waxing

Cons

Rude management, taking out garbage alone

It left a lot to be desired

It was a pretty negative experience. The place only uses one kind of wax and they expect you to wax ridiculously fast- and even then you're not going fast enough. They expect a lot for just minimum wage.

the employees made it worth it

no organization at all with no proper job training ..constantly being made feel stupid and the most unsympathetic people ..overall bad place to work but some friendly staff made it somewhat bearable

not worth it

All employees are micromanaged to the T. Staff is underpaid with no benefits (including full time staff) and expected to do things not in your job description. Oddly enough it is the employers who are unappreciative and unprofessional in this work environment creating a highly toxic atmosphere. There is a reason there is a high turn over rate. Save yourself the hassle, wait for better employment, it's not worth it.

great place to work at

4 stars because there was just too much drama and you couldnt have sicks days or switch your shifts because there werent enough workers. Overall a great place to work and great owner.

Teamwork makes the dreamwork.

It is a shame to see the negative reviews from past disgruntled employees because when we have a good team of people, then everything runs so smoothly. To any future would-be applicant to the business, just remember that it's who you are and the work you do, and your positive attitude, that will make or break the atmosphere. Of course management will bear down when people aren't doing their work properly and also creating a negative work environment by gossiping, spreading negative talk, and also having an immature attitude. If you can come in to work with a positive attitude, an open mind for feedback and criticism, and the understanding that front desk is the lynchpin for running things smoothly and fairly, then you will succeed! As a waxer, putting ego aside and working with polices and procedure will be what ensures success, and no matter your position, it is always positivity and respect that is the most important. Also, remember that you don't see all the moving parts of the business, so don't make assumptions. I've been working for 15 years (at Allure for just 2) and this is the best job I've ever had. If I spend the next 15 years here, I will be happy.

Pros

Positive atmopshere, great clients.

Cons

staff turnover affecting business.

Don’t apply here

You’re better off going to apply somewhere else! They do not respect you there’s a lot of drama in the workplace the management and owners don’t care about you or the work you do for them. They don’t pay you enough and they don’t give you good hours. There cheap people another thing is when the owners talks to you they don’t talk to you with respect they talk to you like you’re stupid. Worst place I’ve ever worked.

Don't work here!

I had to leave a review since I noticed they've posted a few ads: One of my worst job experiences - and I've had a lot of jobs! The biggest problem is management. They are extremely unprofessional and rude to employees. If you like to be micro-managed, berated and stressed then you'll enjoy working here. The pay is not nearly enough for what you are supposed to do. You're basically managing the entire store. Some of the waxers are amazing to work with, some are very immature. To say you're better off flipping burgers would be an understatement.

Pros

Free waxes

Cons

Not paid enough, bad management, immature coworkers

Don't even apply

Poor management, disorganized and incomplete training. The waxers are so talented and it's such a shame they work here. Even the way the customers are treated by management is atrocious.

Pros

wax discount

Cons

horrible management

Good Values and Life Changing experience

I have been with Allure for a year and a half, and like all places there are up and downs. I feel the owners do their best to run things and keep on top of issues. The most frustrating is having staff who don't take things seriously and are difficult to work with. It takes time to find people who are the right fit, but when we do, magic happens. I have been given so many opportunities with this company and manangment makes sure to let people know when they are appreiciated. It is hard to find work where people tell you when you are valued and appreciated, and they do. I feel like when I have a problem I can go to management for help and the genuinely try to find a solution and care for staff. At this time in my life and career, this job is exactly where I want to be and what I want to be doing, and if you are willing to work well and have a positive attitude, this is a great environment to foster that. Our clients are also amazing people and coming from a long history of retail/customer service, I can tell you that customer interaction is amazing.

Pros

Support from company, great clients

Cons

Some schedule variance disrupting work/life balance

Bad Job Security

Very bad job security. Under no circumstances should you want to work here. The staff is nice and the atmosphere is clean but that's about it. Minimum wage is not worth the amount of work you have to do nor the fact that you have no job security...you're better off waiting to hear back from a different employer.

Pros

clean workspace

Cons

No job security

dramatic workplace, weak management

working without an on-site manager is difficult - minimum wage is not enough when you're working alone and basically managing the store alone. management is weak as they're hardly ever around and very unprofessional and rude with its employees when they do visit. assistant managers would make this business run much smoother. nothing is consistent. there is a high employee turnover which makes for ever-changing schedules. free waxing is a plus.

Pros

free waxing

Cons

weak management

Meh

Have worked at better places. Far too much drama between co workers. Management cares little about respect within workplace. Working with a younger crowd calls for me issues ie calling in sick etc

Great Atmosphere

I have now been with Allure Body Bar as a waxologist for a year and it has been such a pleasure to be a part of their team! The atmosphere is amazing, smells wonderful, the music is always upbeat, very clean and up to health code standards, which is a key asset for clientele comfort. The bonds I have built with the staff and my clients are fantastic, which makes the day even better.

Pros

Free waxing

Cons

Repetitive motions

Amazing work space and experience!

Everything about Allure Body Bar is amazing. Not only are the products all organic but the environment is very clean and uplifting. My experience working here has been nothing but positive vibes. I highly suggest Allure to anyone who is seeking serious employment. You wont be disappointed. :)

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Allure Body Bar. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement