Allstate Insurance Employee Reviews

Found 117 reviews matching the search See all 5,799 reviews
Good steady place
Senior manager (Former Employee) –  Northbrook31 July 2018
It is a great place to be at for a long time. However, it is easy to get lost in the shuffle and there is a ton of busy work that goes on. You can work your heart out on an initiative, and then find out that it was not really on anyone's radar, so it gets dropped, turns everyone into a bit of a zombie after a while. Its sad since the company is full of amazing smart people in middle management that has just gotten tired of trying, but not getting notices, so they stopped trying,
Pros
Very nice people
Cons
You can work hard to get nothing done
Great Company
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON26 July 2018
I enjoy working at Allstate. The Leadership teams are willing to listen to our concerns. The CEO has coffee meetings with all levels of employees on a regular basis. All Managers have check-up meeting with the individual team members on a quarterly basis, and also meeting with the Director at least once a year.

We have great work-from-home programs, many people work several days a week at home. Employees are happy at work.

The location of the Markham head office is very convenient, closer to home and close to many amenities and stores (LA Fitness, OrangeTheory, Fit4less, Longo's, Costco, Chapters, Starbucks.....)
The location makes it easier to have a work-life-balance.
Pros
Great work-from-home Program, Happy People at work
Cons
System need to be Updated
Biiling
Agency Service Advisor-Operations (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON20 August 2018
Reviewing, analyzing and resolving payment discrepancies within prescribed timelines and ensuring accurate and efficient processing of various Sarview list functions, Cash suspense list functions for automobile and property endorsements for agents and external customers within prescribed timelines and to recognize standards
Monitoring routine data entry for compliance to underwriting guidelines, cash management and Payment Acceptance Guidelines and promptly notifying underwriting or management of any potential rating/risk/cash management discrepancies.
Accurately process payments including Deposits, Stale dated cheques, Stop payments and returns received within prescribed timelines.
Investigate and correct any discrepancies and ensure payment receipts are processed within prescribed timelines.
Pros
Good Place to work
Cons
Contract
Team player
Customer Service Agent (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 June 2018
Working at Allstate is great for the benefits, but you do need to be able to handle stress for this job.

You learn a lot about how insurance works, if you don't already
The management is great- understanding but there are flaw when it comes being able to progress within the company.

Hardest part of the job is not being able to help the customer and if not you're always the bad guy even if you do your best. However, the enjoyable part is the team you work with, if you get a great manager and team- it's great.
Fun, family-oriented culture
Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON20 July 2018
Allstate truly is a great place to work. The culture truly defines the company, from leadership on down. People are friendly, happy, and tend to stay a long time.
Pros
friendly people, open and supportive culture, interesting work
Cons
conservative company and industry, legacy processes and infrastructure
The single best Company I have Ever Worked For
BDA (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 June 2018
Allstate is more then just a company due to the culture it sets, you are considered more like family. I have never been involved with a company that pours so much into each employee and allows them to flourish. I have been apart of the Allstate family for over 7 years and it has truly been an honor to see how this company operates! If you are looking for a company that recognizes your gifting's and gives you the resources to use them, then look no further. Allstate strives to be the one of the best employers Nationwide and has achieved the AON Best Employer status for a number of years. I truly can't wait to see what the next 20 years look like.
Pros
The Ability to serve my clients
Cons
I work very long hours to service my clients needs
productive and creative
Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON1 August 2018
capturing requirements, understanding business processes, identifying data sources, extracting data, performing data cleansing, validation, transformation, aggregation, visualization and prediction
Pros
work and life balance
Cons
lower salary than market
Fast pace environment
Quality Assurance Analyst (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON8 August 2018
Allstate insurance as a whole is a okay company to work for. In the claims department, the pace is fast. Not a lot of experience on the floor which include management and directors.
Pros
work life balance
Cons
no room to grow
Sales Management
Sales /Business Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 August 2018
Allstate was an amazing company to work for.
I truly enjoyed my overall experience with my management, and coworkers.
the business model changed in 2009 and did create a different work atmosphere.
Nice place to work.
Business Development Agent (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 September 2018
I love working for Allstate. I am very passionate about what I do. My biggest concern was that I wasn't able to see my family as much as I wanted, that's why I have to move forward.
Small corporate environment, not a lot of hierarchy
Head office (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON29 May 2018
Allstate Canada is a pretty good place to work. Most of the managers care about their employees and there are lots of hidden perks like a subsidized cafeteria, summer hours and onsite yoga classes.
Pros
Happy people, fun environment
Cons
Leadership communication could be more effective
Fun Place to Work
Senior Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON23 September 2018
Allstate is a fun place to work. Work life balance is integrated in the work enviroment. Workforce is on the older side, with lots of years at Allstate.
IT Department is not a great place to work
IT (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON6 September 2018
Worked in IT for a long time in various roles. In the past three or four years, new senior leadership began who I feel do not value the employees as people. In my opinion, the focus has become to satisfy under resourced productivity commitments made by over ambitious management with little input or even against recommendations made by senior staff. I think Management is trying to implement a high paced sales management style into an IT department. Director level Management have emphasized in staff meetings that staff are coddled babies and how they should be happy they have jobs. As well, when productivity requests from the Business increased, Senior Leadership's response was to hire new Directors and Managers - not staff ( staff are leaving in droves btw). The new management "style" was in stark contrast to former management and this "change" is causing quite a lot of stress for many who work there. I believe it to be a toxic work environment that for the wrong person could definitely impacting one's health.
Pros
Highly intelligent and engaged staff
Cons
Long hours, poor management.
Unrealistic expectations, workload too high
Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON6 April 2018
I've worked here for about a year and a half and from day one the expectations were ridiculous. With the amount of claims we get the pressures are too much to handle. You are constantly being told what you're doing wrong as opposed to doing right and the environment is very toxic. Managers not agreeing or notifying us on the proper procedures and not notifying us as soon as they change. The employees in all departments pass of work to others by saying "its not my job" instead of handling it professionally and trying to assist those of us that are struggling. The only time we get to do our work is at the end of the day and at that point we already have many complaints as we don't have a breather.
Pros
Flexible shifts, work from home
Cons
Employee environment, heavy workload
mediocre. corporate culture is like an episode of mean girls.
Agent (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 April 2018
I find the corporate culture to be very immature and unprofessional. It's like an episode of mean girls. Managers are very pushy, micromanage their staff & constantly create drama and tension that caused friction amongst staff due to their gossiping. How do you sell me on top employer award or why you need insurance in the first place.. tsk tsk.
forcing me to do this
Business Development Agent (Former Employee) –  Windsor16 July 2018
all good. what else can I say. They have been a staple in the Windsor/Essex community for a long time, and I am sure they will be for years to come.
Tough work environment
Claims Representative (Current Employee) –  Markham, Ontario21 February 2018
Worked here for many years in the claims department. It's really really busy. Over the years, the company has grown and staffing has not kept up. This place used to be a fun place to work, now it's become a large claim call centre with little employee engagement. There always seems to be customers waiting on the phone queue as there are not enough people to handle the workload.
Pros
Work at home opportunities
Cons
Call centre environment
Great company
Insurance Sales and Service (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON18 February 2018
A typical day at work would be logging into the phones at 9am and handling inbound calls. You are required to be on the phone the full time you are in the office with little to no time for personal conversations even during breaks or lunches. They are fantastic with a healthy employee but be warned terrible with mental illness handling.
Pros
great work life balance
Cons
terrible mental health balance
No room to advance unless you live in Markham
Customer Care Agent (Former Employee) –  Ontario30 April 2018
Very unprofessional work environment with no advancement. Complaints to head office go ignored and staff are treated like a call centre. I would definitely not recommend this place for females.
See below
Senior Application Developer (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON30 January 2018
A typical day at Allstate
- Start with daily status meetings and determine what needs to be accomplished that day.
- Work with stake holders and BA's to develop requirements
- Coding, testing and preparing packages to handed of the the SQA team.
- Projects could range from 1 -2 weeks to several months.

Allstate uses a third party programming package that is only used by Allstate, so learning the language very quickly was challenging but accomplished.

IT Management was always under intense pressure to meet next to impossible deadlines which had a negative effect on the culture and made if difficult to maintain a work/life balance.

The other IT staff all worked well together and for each other was definitely a positive impact on the culture
Pros
There were regular social outings which played a positive on the morale of the staff
Cons
Extremely long hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Allstate Insurance. Our community is ready to answer.

52.1K