Allstate Insurance Employee Reviews

The single best Company I have Ever Worked For
BDA (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 June 2018
Allstate is more then just a company due to the culture it sets, you are considered more like family. I have never been involved with a company that pours so much into each employee and allows them to flourish. I have been apart of the Allstate family for over 7 years and it has truly been an honor to see how this company operates! If you are looking for a company that recognizes your gifting's and gives you the resources to use them, then look no further. Allstate strives to be the one of the best employers Nationwide and has achieved the AON Best Employer status for a number of years. I truly can't wait to see what the next 20 years look like.
Pros
The Ability to serve my clients
Cons
I work very long hours to service my clients needs
Small corporate environment, not a lot of hierarchy
Head office (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON29 May 2018
Allstate Canada is a pretty good place to work. Most of the managers care about their employees and there are lots of hidden perks like a subsidized cafeteria, summer hours and onsite yoga classes.
Pros
Happy people, fun environment
Cons
Leadership communication could be more effective
Okay first career job. Dont expect to advance.
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON3 May 2018
Okay first job. Training was adequate but there is a trial by fire first few months. Colleagues work hard and help when they can. Oftentimes they are just as overworked as you. Some managers actually care about your development. Benefits and salary are okay compared to industry average.

Most managers dont care about your development. They care solely about inbound call taking. This is a call centre first and foremost and an understaffed one at that. Work volume is heavy. Non-stop phone calls coupled with full handle claims equals poor customer service. Poor customer service equals poor employee reviews. Poor computer system makes this much worse. Extremely difficult to keet KPI's unless youre willing to cut corners. Customer service (read: call taking) is far more important than accurate claims handling or fraud prevention. You fight tooth and nail for perks like work from home or time off the phone que. Promotions are dangled in front of people but generally pretty nepotistic environment. If you decide to worl here plan to only stay a year or two maximum. You will burn out. All your colleagues already have.
Pros
Salary, benefits, colleagues
Cons
Lack of cohesive leadership, work volume, poor claims systems, glass ceiling
No room to advance unless you live in Markham
Customer Care Agent (Former Employee) –  Ontario30 April 2018
Very unprofessional work environment with no advancement. Complaints to head office go ignored and staff are treated like a call centre. I would definitely not recommend this place for females.
Unrealistic expectations, workload too high
Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON6 April 2018
I've worked here for about a year and a half and from day one the expectations were ridiculous. With the amount of claims we get the pressures are too much to handle. You are constantly being told what you're doing wrong as opposed to doing right and the environment is very toxic. Managers not agreeing or notifying us on the proper procedures and not notifying us as soon as they change. The employees in all departments pass of work to others by saying "its not my job" instead of handling it professionally and trying to assist those of us that are struggling. The only time we get to do our work is at the end of the day and at that point we already have many complaints as we don't have a breather.
Pros
Flexible shifts, work from home
Cons
Employee environment, heavy workload
mediocre. corporate culture is like an episode of mean girls.
Agent (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 April 2018
I find the corporate culture to be very immature and unprofessional. It's like an episode of mean girls. Managers are very pushy, micromanage their staff & constantly create drama and tension that caused friction amongst staff due to their gossiping. How do you sell me on top employer award or why you need insurance in the first place.. tsk tsk.
Stressful environment
Internship (Former Employee) –  Brossard, QC1 April 2018
The work environment is very good, and the employees are helpful when u have some troubles. I think that each work is challenging .
Pros
Good benefit
Cons
Stressful
Vendre, vendre et vendre.
Agent d'assurance de dommage des particuliers (Former Employee) –  Boisbriand, QC19 March 2018
Vendre, vendre et vendre à tous pris. faible perspective d'avenir.
Tough work environment
Claims Representative (Current Employee) –  Markham, Ontario21 February 2018
Worked here for many years in the claims department. It's really really busy. Over the years, the company has grown and staffing has not kept up. This place used to be a fun place to work, now it's become a large claim call centre with little employee engagement. There always seems to be customers waiting on the phone queue as there are not enough people to handle the workload.
Pros
Work at home opportunities
Cons
Call centre environment
Great company
Insurance Sales and Service (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON18 February 2018
A typical day at work would be logging into the phones at 9am and handling inbound calls. You are required to be on the phone the full time you are in the office with little to no time for personal conversations even during breaks or lunches. They are fantastic with a healthy employee but be warned terrible with mental illness handling.
Pros
great work life balance
Cons
terrible mental health balance
fun place to work at
Business Development Agent (Current Employee) –  London, ON12 February 2018
I do not feel like this is the proper place to leave sort of review. I am uncertain why this is necessary especially on this site. I really like Allstate and refuse to leave any sort of remarks on here. Thank you for understanding.
Allstate experience
Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON10 February 2018
I find the culture to be very immature and unprofessional. From many colleagues we've all said the management in claims to be horrible. They do not care about their employees, the training is unorganized.
Work
Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Waterloo5 February 2018
Great place to work and diversify your skills as a BDA. Everyday brings a bew challange to meet the requirements and necessities of your clients. Great palce to work.
Pros
Self management
Cons
Micro Managing
Managers have zero management and employee development skills
Agent (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON2 February 2018
Managers have zero management skills and technical skills. The place feels like a circus. No teamwork everyone is competing to get to the next level but no one truly understands the industry or cares enough to learn.
Pros
work from home
Cons
terrible culture
old schools tools
I.T. CONSULTANT (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON1 February 2018
good company to work with but no professional culture
no department polices and structure
no ITSM or ITEL good practice environment also not profes
Great Company
Universal Sales and Service Agent (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON30 January 2018
Great company that stresses a work life balance. They want to see everyone succeed and offers monthly coaching to help their employees improve. Work from home, great benefits, and a strong company culture.
See below
Senior Application Developer (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON30 January 2018
A typical day at Allstate
- Start with daily status meetings and determine what needs to be accomplished that day.
- Work with stake holders and BA's to develop requirements
- Coding, testing and preparing packages to handed of the the SQA team.
- Projects could range from 1 -2 weeks to several months.

Allstate uses a third party programming package that is only used by Allstate, so learning the language very quickly was challenging but accomplished.

IT Management was always under intense pressure to meet next to impossible deadlines which had a negative effect on the culture and made if difficult to maintain a work/life balance.

The other IT staff all worked well together and for each other was definitely a positive impact on the culture
Pros
There were regular social outings which played a positive on the morale of the staff
Cons
Extremely long hours
About this job
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 January 2018
Great job, great staff. Friendly coworkers who are willing to go out of their way to help you fully understand and grasp what to do. They don't mind you asking questions and actually encourage it.
Pros
Great team to work with
Cons
The job can get repetitive
Great company
Senior Claim Advisor (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON17 January 2018
Love work life balance, great benefits. Management is very friendly, but lack management skills. Very relaxed environment and management trusts their people to do their job.
Professional and productive environment
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Northbrook, IL16 January 2018
Working in Allstate is fun and professionally satisfying. Work environment is challenging and fun filled which draws best out of an employee. Great co-workers and team provides ample opportunity to grow and progress.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Allstate Insurance. Our community is ready to answer.

51.9K