Allied Universal

Working at Allied Universal: Employee Reviews

Canada113 reviews

Found 113 reviews matching the searchSee all 32,439 reviews
securitysiteshiftcompanypaymanagementgoodtime

Simple job, fun co-workers, supportive management

A simple job after the first year. You just need to learn a million little things in which it is your responsibility to learn. I learned quickly that you must not let the angry passengers bother you; most passengers are great to deal with unless you are the catalyst like some co-workers.The job can be relaxed and then stressful. This job can be fast-paced and then slow-paced. This all depends on the time of day and the year. This job is collaborative and not competitive unless you choose to play those games with co-workers. The workplace culture can be negative at times as there is too much downtime for it to breed. Learn quickly to do your job and ignore the drama. As there are a lot of wonderful co-workers to work with! Everyone who leaves say they loved the people and not the job because it does become quite monotonous. Management respects you as long as you show up to work and put in effort; I shouldn't have to mention that as that is expected anywhere. If you are a decent worker with work ethic then you will have no problems with management. They will help you where they can and may even go above and beyond for you!The hardest part of the job is keeping up with the changing rules. The most enjoyable part of the job is socializing with the co-workers. I would recommend this job to anyone who has their head on straight.

Pros

Paid breaks, good benefits, good wage

Cons

24/7 operations so the shifts are hard to get used to at first. Starts times can be 4am, 12pm, or 8pm.

23 January 2023
Thank you so much for your feedback. We will share this with management teams. We appreciate the work our team does to protect our local communities and keep people safe.

Not a good place to work

Push people to work extra hours and push the CBA to max. Unfair negotiations with the union, took an arbitrator to find an agreement. Ridiculous entry with the need to pass testing, achieve a RAIC and medical.

Pros

you get paid?

Cons

Belligerent management that will rip you off for any incentive they offer.

19 December 2022
We are sorry you had this experience, the situation you described does not reflect the expectations we have of our teams or Allied Universal’s values. We will be sharing this feedback with our management teams in order to improve.

Lots of hours and job security

Management is helpful and understanding. You should be ready to take any shift to cover sick co-workers. They are willing to give more hours on busy seasons like summer.

Pros

Lots of hours.

Cons

Odd shift timings.

12 December 2022

Good workplace and environment

An amazing team put together and growing company which allow many doors and opportunities for where you’d like to go, I would definitely recommend Allied to another as it’s oriented and fast pace.

Poor management

The location where i work as a security guard has little to do with security and a lot to do with secretarial work and schmoozing. The training is poor. The management treats individuals differently when they do not like the individual. For instance: a colleague of mind was given random shifts at undesirable hours in an effort to get them to quit. If employees happen to break the same rule the consequences are different for each one; ranging from no consequence to losing shift hours to being scheduled in an undesirable way.

14 November 2022
We are sorry you had this experience. We wish you all the best in your future endeavors and please know this will be shared with the management team in order to improve.

Fun workplace

The company is supportive for their employees but loose contract and we lost our job.The management was good but there was some partiality for giving positions.

7 November 2022

Unfair To The Workers

I didn't mind working there before. But then; the manager promised raises, benefits, and extra pay for training. None of these I received.I ended up leaving because the managers were unfair, stubborn to the staff when we asked for our promised raises, benefits, and certain pay for training (under paid us for training after we were told we would receive a certain amount). They refused all that when I asked and refused to investigate that situation as there was no paper trail.They also allow conflicts of interest to interfere with other workers and where they are placed. Very, very unfair and unprofessional.If management was replaced, I am sure it could be a better place to work. I will not work there again because of those issues

Pros

Good Hours

Cons

Promised Pay Refused, Conflicts of Interest Among Managers Allowed, Unfair Treatment of Staff

31 October 2022

Decent starter

Poor management Poor pay rate with no raises or chance for advancement even if you upgrade your security your will still be offered a low rate and remain there for years.Benefits are good and the pay is always on time.

Benefits

Cons

No raises, low pay

31 October 2022

Great flexible company to work with

You get text messages with available shifts and sometimes you might get a permanent position. The pay is competitive for entry level security guards with chances to get overtime agreed upon before shift. Management and supervisors are probably the best I've worked with great supportive characters that are understanding and take your needs into consideration. You get a free uniform on sign up that you should return at the end. All in all was great working with them and always consider going back when I'm out of a job.

24 October 2022

ok to work

it is ok company. since lot of security do not pay benefits. rest is pretty much same. lot of companies do not want to pay benefits this does. rest it is just an other security company, who does not care about guards.

Good place to learn new things.

Depending on where you work, you may learn how to screen people and objects coming in and out of the assigned location of work. Workload may become repetitive, but work and location can be changed if you feel like it.

17 October 2022

Les patrons se fichent de leurs employes

Les erreurs sur les paies et les documents gouvernementaux etaient constantes. Je ne suis plus a leur emploi depuis plusieurs mois maintenant et mon 6% n'a toujours pas ete paye en entier. La direction se fiche de leurs employes, ils perdent tous leurs contrats un a un et ca n'est pas pour rien! Sauvez vous des maux de tetes et cherchez ailleurs

17 October 2022
Lamentamos que haya tenido esta experiencia. Le deseamos todo lo mejor en sus proyectos futuros y tenga en cuenta que esto se compartirá con el equipo de administración para mejorar.

Horrible Culture

There use to be lots of promise at this company. Leadership in Toronto does not exist any more and the culture is horrible. Security guards regularly miss getting paid and they expect them to wait 2 weeks for it to be corrected. I would not recommend this company to anyone including customers. Unless you are part of "The Boys Club" you're going no where.

Pros

They leave you alone if you show up for work

Cons

Scheduling platform is horrible, leadership is no where to be found, mistakes in payroll always, no ownership or accountability from the Ontario management team

Pay is below average

Not really satisfied or dissatisfied. Pay is mostly around the minimum wage for floaters and most sites pay $15-16/hr for regular staff. Work was mostly easy for me as concierge in the mid town.( Workload depends on the site as well)

Pros

Plenty of time, easy work

Cons

Long shifts, sometimes you need to stay longer if someone is late.

Do not apply for this job Not bondable non secure.

Very very poor management too much racist Management hires from their own knowns otherwise who cares system never trust on management.Wages again to say cheating no body stands for their wording.

on s'en fous de l'agent, vous n' êtes qu'un chiffre, un bouche trou

ils gardent des agents irresponsables et pas ponctuels, ils ne répondent presque jamais aux courriels, rarement au téléphone, ne prennent pas au sérieux les demandes des agents, ils sont champion dans l'envois de courriels standard du genre bonne fête des fleurs bleus, il ont le culot de demander qu'on travail jusqu'à 2h du matin alors qu'ils savent qu'on travail le matin a 7h, bref la concentration de management low cost.

Incompetent management.

Incompetent management. I've had to represent so many of my union brothers and sisters because they booked off. Which is their right in the CBA.The great thing about this is management is so Incompetent that they can't fire anyone. Shop steward.

Toxic management

Management does not know what it's doing. No communication between managers.

Great in work benefits, not much in management or co-workers

The Mississauga office had some trouble with transitions from a contract on a site to another company.The pay was great for people who wanted to used the experience previously gained from other companies. On-site supervisors sometimes abuse their powers, so make sure to not be too gullible.

Company is a joke

3 years I went above and beyond and still never got offered any advancement, will never recommend anyone work for Allied Universal in Atlantic Canada.

Sites are good

Management is poor but their sites areGood and unstressed . If have other job and you want another job which is relaxing for you, go for this company

15 August 2022

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Allied Universal. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement