Allianz Global Assistance

Canada70 reviews
Featured review
Allianz Global Assistance selected this as a representative review
Excellent company!
A great place to work at! In my 9 years in this company there was never a bad day! My coworkers were great, management always supportive, cooperation between teams excellent, salary appropriate for the position, training was good and reflected the real life situations. Overall, working for AGA was a very positive experience. I always felt appreciated and a valued team member. Going to work every day, I always felt motivated to give my best. I wish my former company, my former colleagues and all the AGA employees all the best!
24 February 2020
Wow! Thank you! We appreciate the kudos, especially in areas of supportive leadership, great colleagues, a good learning framework and competitive compensation.

Micromanagement
The supervisors and managers micromanage which puts a strain on morale.

The don't do anything to boost morale, just a pat on the back and back to work.

Compensation is ok. Nothing to get excited about.
Pros
The People
Cons
29 May 2020
Although the environment you describe isn't what we strive to provide, we appreciate you reaching out and sharing your experience.

We've invested quite heavily in a number of recognition initiatives as well as leader education on how to tap into these to build engagement within their teams, but it doesn't seem you felt those programs resonated or were available, at least not in your specific case.

Thank you for sharing your experience and all the best to you in your career.
Fast Pace and Accuracey
It was a great experience working at Allianz. I worked 6am-2pm which I loved. This workplace offers flexible work timing. Alot of changes in the company happening right now. I would love to come back once they have work from home. I had to leave due to some family issues but will be applying back soon
14 May 2020
We appreciate hearing from you! Offering flexible working hours is one of the many ways we support our employees' efforts to balance their work and personal lives.

Thank you for sharing your experience, and all the best in your future endeavours.
Can be Stressful and Relaxed
The stress generated by this job entirely depends on the season since this role is related to Travel benefits. Working in a call centre is always stressful at times, but Allianz has excellent benefits and the company works hard to enforce a strong work ethic. My co-workers were all very nice and easy to get along with. I enjoyed working there and would certainly consider working for the company again in the future.
4 May 2020
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Our Customer Service Representatives do experience very busy periods given the nature of our business. The work they (and you!) do is key to a strong customer experience and this good work doesn't go unnoticed. We are especially pleased to hear that you found your co-workers easy to get along with because we think our people are pretty great too!

Best of luck in your future endeavours.
Gained knowledge and experience in a variety of roles with different types of responsibilities and functions
Thoroughly enjoyed my time spent within the organization and truly appreciative of the experience gained through my longstanding tenure within the company
29 April 2020
Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and had the opportunity to gain experience in many different roles. We wish you all the best.
Fast paced job but dependent on the amount of customers traveling
The case management role is fast paced while on phone calls during travel seasons. Due to COVID-19, there were understandable cutbacks due to the lack of customers traveling which led to job loss.
13 April 2020
Thank you for your comments. The economic impacts of COVID-19 have been felt across the world, with significant repercussions in the travel sector. We wish you all the best in your future career endeavours.
Demanding and stressful
The company provides training for 3 weeks, there is so much information to cover and you are expected to know most policies and how to navigate the intranet for resources as soon as you hit the floor. Also some supervisors yell and put down the employees. There is a lot of high expectation, one gets penalized for asking so many questions. The supervisors expect you to know your stuff the month you are on the floor, even though they will say, we are here because of you, they do not really mean it. A few customers will yell at you, for the most part most of them are kind and understanding.
25 March 2020
We appreciate you reaching out to us, although we are disappointed to hear that you haven’t experienced the leadership support we expect from all levels of leadership. You’re right; call centre roles are demanding and can be stressful. We expect our leaders to be the first level of support for employees just like you. If you don’t feel you’re receiving this level of support, we encourage you to please reach out to your Manager or your Human Resources Business Partner.
Poor leadership and direction
The organization has a difficult time setting clear and reachable objectives and there are many competing deliverables with no clear priority and goals. Tasks are set without consideration to existing work, and expectations are driven by day to day fire fighting versus clear and communicated objectives. Management is very much segregated from staff and shows itself as very much us vs. them. Would not recommend working or buying from this company.
25 March 2020
Thank you for your review. We are sorry to read about your experience especially because we’ve been working hard to ensure that our teams are focused on the right activities – those that execute on our plans for the future. The impacts of COVID-19 has added an unexpected element of complexity to previously laid out plans, but we are working hard to move forward with the customer at the heart of why we do what we do.

Very nice place to work
Great Office Place in Toronto Downtown. Management is Grear and Friend and Training is best in class. Very nice and office and Management is always available for help
Pros
Cons
9 March 2020
Thank you for sharing your experience working with us. We wish you all the best in your career.
N/a
Dealing with the clients was a rewarding experience it was the company that had its difficulties and made it extremely difficult to be motivated and enthusiastic.
They have a lot of turn over
I initially started working in the Waterloo office which later relocated to South Kitchener. So that became a longer commute. The pay was the lower than industry average, no benefits and high turnover across all departments. My employment ended abruptly. I had a full time job and this was part time weekend hours for me anyways.
2 March 2020
Thank you for sharing your feedback from the view of a part-time employee.

While our part-time employees are not eligible to receive all of the benefits our full-time employees are, recent market studies Allianz have undertaken has confirmed that our total compensation package is competitive in the Kitchener-Waterloo, Cambridge area.

We wish you all the best in your career.
Great culture/benefits and responsive company
Change happens quickly here but it's what companies need to do to compete and innovate today. This is what makes Allianz so great! They are full of opportunities and listen to employees for suggested improvements. If you want a company that is slow and puts up red tape in addressing problems, Allianz is not for you. Also, the total rewards are very comparable to a Gov't job. The hiring process? Fast, fair & follow through every step of the way.
5 February 2020
We appreciate hearing from you! Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your experience working with us. We have been working hard to execute on a number of key initiatives that improve both the customer and employee experience. We are thrilled to hear you saw that first-hand during your time with us.

Once again, thank you for sharing your feedback, and all the best in your career.
Meh pay, meh hours, bad management, great coworkers
I started working at Allianz Global Assistance as a bilingal sales agent in the TD Sales department in November of 2017. At first I thought this would be a great stepping stone if I decided to persue a career in insurance. The office culture is great, coworkers are all very friendly, benefits are decent, and the pay is good enough to live in the area.

It all falls apart at the management level though. We were told that after 6 months we could apply to other roles in other departments. What they didn't tell us is that if you're bilingual and hitting your sales targets, you will never leave the sales team unless you quit. On three separate occasions I had applied to move to case management and I was denied each and every time because, "We're too busy, try again in a couple months."

At first it felt like I was being punished for their poor management. They had just let go of a bunch of people (who were good at their jobs) just before the busy season hit. I later realised that they never intended on letting me move departments because I was doing too well in sales.

If that's not enough, they denied us an annual raise (note that because of this, as the cost of living goes up annually, it's more like a wage cut than no change in wage) and to "make up for it" they gave us two extra vacation days. This was because they had lost something like 30 million dollars, most of which went into building a new office building that is STILL NOT IN USE AFTER TWO YEARS. Meanwhile the upper management still got their bonuses.

They will put their profits ahead of their people. You are
5 February 2020
We appreciate hearing from you even though your experience with us isn’t what we would have hoped for.

It's troubling to hear your perception of our internal promotion and talent development process given the high number of internal promotions that we see year over year across the company. In the last two years, we've had close to 200 associates be promoted! We're quite proud of that number as it signals to us that we're creating a good place to work where our associates want to stay to grow and develop.

You reference our new building as well and we are pleased to share that we will be moving into our new office this spring! It takes time to create a welcoming space for our valued employees, and like any new construction, the process can take longer than anticipated. We're really excited about our new home and the space we've created for our employees!

While 2018 was a difficult year for the organization, we continue to invest in compensation and benefit programs for our associates to ensure that the total rewards package provided is market-competitive.

Despite you moving on, we wish you all the best in your career.
An over-all great company to work with
With multiple positions available at this large company, it was easy to move around and gain experiences. The management is always available and the technical structure is top tier when working. In regards to compensation, the company provides quite well in multiple areas. The staff are kind, hard workers, and all carry great knowledge about the processes in the office. Lastly, the Kitchener office has a really nice lounge area for lunch, including an outdoor area to eat.
27 January 2020
Thank you for reaching out to us! It's wonderful to hear that you had the opportunity to experience the many career opportunities available with us. Giving our employees the ability to learn, develop, and shape their career is what makes our staff incredibly knowledgeable about our business.

Offering a competitive total rewards program that meets the needs of our staff is important to us, so we are pleased to hear that you feel we hit the mark.

We wish you all the best in your career.
Productive and fun place to work. Learning new things every day
I enjoy the environment. I love the challenges that can come with the job. Lots of fun people to work with. I enjoy coming to this job because I feel as though I am making a positive difference in peoples lives.
21 January 2020
We appreciate hearing from you and are thrilled to hear that you not only enjoy the work itself but also the work environment. We've been working hard to create an environment and culture that our associates can be proud of.

Thank you for your feedback and all the best in your career with us.
Extreme disconnect between what they want to be and what they are
This company has a vision to be helpful & supportive to their clients. However, it's nearly impossible when the reality is they are an insurance company. When clients were in stressful, unknown and vulnerable situations we could never use the word "covered" so it just added to their stress and confusion. On top of that there are multiple case managers in multiple cases, there is no case ownership. Naturally, there is constantly information being lost, clients repeatedly telling their story and frustration between case managers as well as clients. New case managers are not trained well and essentially forced to "wing it" once out on the floor; there is very minimal support from both senior case managers and supervisors. You could have a client on hold for upwards of 10 minutes just trying to find someone to help you answer a question. No one was on the same page, you could ask two supervisors the same question and they would have two different answers. A lot of times when you ask for help the supervisors don't even look at the case and valuable information gets lost.

This company also lacks trust in it's employees, everything is monitored - when you enter the building, when you log into your computer, what you're doing on your computer, when you're in the bathroom, when you're on break, lunch, etc. You are expected to change your status as you do different things throughout the day. A co-worker of mine got "in trouble" for changing her status 30 seconds late. You get questioned if you are "offline" even if you are actually working on something because it interferes with
15 January 2020
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience.

We have been working hard to build our strategy and transformation initiatives around the customer, so hearing that you feel we have missed the mark is especially disappointing. We take our responsibility as a travel insurer seriously and care deeply for our clients. We aim to be there to help them when they need us, and provide a seamless and caring service.

The very nature of our customer-facing positions require our associates be available to assist our customers when they need our help. Our Leaders do monitor to ensure that is the case to ensure we can assist our customers quickly and compassionately.

Although your experience with us wasn't what we would have hoped for, we wish you all the best in your future roles.
Good Company
Great staff! Distance to drive and shifts. Good management. Great team experience. Not the best work/ life balance because of multiple shifts. Good atmosphere
14 January 2020
Thank you for sharing your thoughts on your role and the work environment.

We are very pleased to hear that your experience included a great team, good leaders and an overall pleasant work atmosphere. The shift work component can add challenges to maintaining a strong work life balance as you noted, but we are working hard to expand our work from home capabilities to further assist on that front.

Fun workplace
The most enjoyable part of the job was the fun and collaborative atmosphere and working with supportive leaders. Managers always provided constructive feedback.
14 January 2020
We appreciate you reaching out to share your positive experience with us. We love hearing that you felt your team was collaborative and your leaders were supportive. Plus, who doesn't want to have fun during the work day?!

We wish you all the best in your career.
Horrible place to work do not apply
Horrible place to work they treat the employees like dogs it’s like high school with all the drama and the supervisors are horrible I do not recommend this job to anybody
10 January 2020
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. Although your experience with us isn’t what we would hope for, we appreciate you reaching out and we wish you all the best in your career.
Fabulous Company
There are stressful times and relaxed times. It is an inbound call center, that should be expected. The management in the office could use a little bit of work, but overall most supervisors are intelligent and fair. The co-workers are amazing. They provide excellent benefits, they provide lunches, brunches on occassion, special treats on holidays and overall let us know we are appreciated for our work performance. Some employees who cannot or do not follow easy office rules and sometimes let go, again, to be expected.
Overall, a wonderful company to work for. I have been here over 2 years and looking forward to the next 10+.
10 January 2020
Thank you for your very candid comments about your role as well as our company at large. Our leadership team has been working hard to create a great employee experience because we agree – our people are amazing and deserve the best! We wish you much success as you continue your career with us.
Do not recommend
I wouldn’t recommend this company to my worst enemy.

They promote bullying in the work place to the point where those individuals are promoted. Nothing gets done unless an entire department complains about a person, and at that, they just move them to another department. They promote people to management because they are a “people person” over someone who is actually qualified for the position. HR is useless, you make a formal complaint about a person and all they get is a slap on the wrist. Nothing happens or that person is promoted to a TL or manager position. The Senior manager of HR is the most out of touch with reality and isn’t exactly the brightest bulb in the package. How she’s in any position of “power” is beyond me.

There’s 0 accountability on the SLT’s end of things.. half of upper management has either quit or been fired, that should say something. It says a lot when they are surprised by the employee engagement surveys and can’t understand why employees hate their lives.

They think they pay employees what they’re worth, but this couldn’t be farther from the truth. The lowest paid department makes just over $16/hr while the CEO gets paid enough to afford a Porche.

Back in the summer of 2019, there was a mass firing, so really, no employee is safe. The CEO says this was 100% the only way to cut costs because the company is falling further and further into financial debt. Do yourself a favour and stay as far away as possible.

The only good things I can say is that the other associates you work with are absolutely amazing people. And the benefits
10 January 2020
Thank you for sharing your feedback. Allianz has clear written policies that do not condone inappropriate workplace behavior, including bullying, and leaders are equipped with how to recognize it and address it. Additionally, our Complaint Resolution Policy provides clear details how to escalate a concern about an individual, to ensure a satisfactory resolution.

While you didn't feel Allianz was the right place for you, many of our associates are excited about what 2020 holds for both our employees and our customers.

We wish you all the best in your career.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Allianz Global Assistance. Our community is ready to answer.
2.9