Alion Science and Technology Employee Reviews

Love working for the company
Logistic Analyst (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VA20 May 2018
I left CACI to return to work for Alion, the people were great with a very friendly work environment with the chance to do the work that I love in the submarine community.
Pros
Pay & work atmosphere
Cons
N/a
Decent Place to wrok
Logistics Analyst, Principal (Former Employee) –  Washington Navy Yard, DC16 May 2018
Was able to set my hours except for times when meetings extended beyond my normal work hours. Line Manager was supportive and help keep the group on task and moving forward.
Great Company
SCP/FMS Sr. Israel Intro To Service Analyst (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VA15 May 2018
Alion is a great company with an amazing managment team. Very flexible with hours. They are growing company with room for career advancement. Highly recommend.
great place to work
Biologist (Former Employee) –  Warrenville, IL9 May 2018
Good benefits and really nice coworkers. Management had a good understanding and pushed for a work life balance. Allowed to work from home on occasion
Security
Assistant Security Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington City, DC1 May 2018
A typical day at work is very busy and keeping my customers/clients updated on daily security information. Meet with customers on a daily routine, communicating with clients about their needs. I like to be organized so that the rest of the week I can effectively and exceed my customers/clients expectations. I managed different databases and the most enjoyable part of the job is keeping my customers/client happy and satisfied.
Pros
coming together as one for celebrations
Cons
better health care
Good company to work for
Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Warren, MI18 April 2018
I am a contractor for Alion, I do not work directly at Alion. I currently work alone at a contractor site. I am in a position where I work with a team, but do not have any direct supervision. This working circumstances require you to be self motivated and to carry your own workload. I have no problem with these circumstances, so I find the job is a good fit for me.
Pros
flexible hours, listens to complaints and tries to improve circumstances
Cons
amount of time off could be better
Valuable work experience ruined by management
Software Design Engineer (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FL9 April 2018
The best parts of the position are respectable salary and an honestly great benefits package. However, these things are easily acquired at other similar positions in the area and don't make up for the toxic culture.

The co-workers are great people but the supervisors and management expose the company's value perception over actual merit. Virtually no chance of job advancement or even a simple raise because of their budget allocation. Minimal at best downward loyalty from higher-ups. Direct supervisors are notoriously difficult to work with and have no qualms with using intimidation as a tool to get their way.

There are several different companies that operate on the same street corner that do the same kind of work with the same qualifications who offer better salary and likely better work culture.
Pros
Good benefits, decent salary, friendly co-workers
Cons
Manipulative management, no job advancement, unclear expectations
Miserable place to work
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL3 April 2018
Lack of direction. "Training" does not exist. Poor pay and bottom
of the barrel raises. Management is poor. They take no responsibility for there actions and are quick to blame others under them. Disgusting work conditions. Equipment is one step above tube technology. "Yearly reviews" are a joke. The really sad part is I worked with really good people. But they got tired of being passed over for raises and the rotten way they where treated and found better positions elsewhere.
Pros
It was a paycheck.
Cons
Poor management, work condtions, salary.
Work Day
Associate Configuration/Data Management Analyst (Former Employee) –  Odon, IN27 March 2018
I managed the Inventory spreadsheet, coordinated and delivered weekly and monthly metrics, and training coordinator. I have learned ERP system to manage what inventory was in the system.
Pros
Flex Time
Cons
Paid Time Off
Good company, great benefits
Logistics/Warehouse Manager (Former Employee) –  Port Hueneme CBC Base, CA220 March 2018
Enjoyed working for Alion in the Port Huneme office! Was there 15 years. Would definitely work for them in the future if the opportunity arose. Excellent benefits at the time
Simplistic work with little to no advancement or skill development
Marine Engineer Associate (Former Employee) –  Pascagoula, MS15 March 2018
Worked for the company less than 2 years as engineer. Work was very lackluster with very little actual engineering. Mainly just walked around, checked out construction and took pictures. Would occasionally review data or design changes with SUPSHIP and make a recommendation that was probably never going to get anything done. If you want a very simple job, this is it. Otherwise go somewhere else. This will quickly stagnate your engineering career.
Lousy
Senior Military Consultant (Former Employee) –  Shaw AFB, SC11 March 2018
Upper management did not seem to care about others. When push came to shove, upper management tended to screw those working below them. Would not recommend working for this company.
Not a long term company
Communications (Current Employee) –  MD9 March 2018
Good company for short term employment, 0-3 years. Company does not have a good long term record for retirement/investment benefits. Difficult to progress. Does compensate well.
Great company but lack of advancement
Programmer Analyst (Former Employee) –  National28 February 2018
It is contractual work with the federal government. That being said, funding revolves around the federal government, which can fluctuate. Job security is not guaranteed, though this company does make a GREAT effort to keep you gainfully employed should your funding be exhausted. I worked for this company for over a decade. Other friends at other defense contractors would be let go on a whim with no effort once a contract is exhausted. This company went through incredibly great lengths to keep me over the years. I was laid off due to corporate restructuring. Otherwise, I would have continued to work there as long as I could.

The company itself, from an enterprise standpoint in IT is run pretty well. You would be hard pressed to find someone who isn't an expert and isn't willing to help you grow. The IT sector of this company is quite cutting edge, efficient, and knowledgeable. Every level of IT staff has access to every level of IT staff, all the way up to the CIO. This is something I valued much, as over the years fellow IT colleagues have complained about lack of visibility. There truly is a sense of camaraderie and teamwork within the enterprise. As an IT person, if you want to branch out and learn something new, the sector is quick to help you achieve that. Though moving up in ranks proves to be difficult because of the nature of the work, the tech sector does a good job of helping you improve your skills.

There are MULTIPLE layers of management, which thankfully, are being streamlined. The company is restructuring as a result of this. For quite some time there existed
  more... way too much 'fat' at the top and poor decisions on their part led the company into some financial disrepair. The company was acquired by a venture capital firm a few years ago. The improvements made, though reluctant and frustrating, have placed the company in a better position for success.

Perhaps the greatest asset that this company has, but I believe severely underestimates, is their HR department. Over the years I encountered personal struggles that interfered with my ability to work, and the HR department met each issue with such compassion. There was a point in time where medical issues had me feeling quite helpless but the HR department assured me that despite all the other things I had to worry about, my job was not one of them.

All in all, I would recommend this company to anyone applying. If i could give one reason why, I would say its because of the people. Alion somehow manages to hire really good people, which in turn, makes it an amazing place to work. There may be some difficulty dealing with government customers, but otherwise, each person I got to work with on the corporate end was friendly and willing to help.
Pros
Great People, Great Benefits
Cons
Lack of advancement
Good place to be
Lead Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  Washington Navy Yard, DC20 February 2018
I enjoyed my return to US Navy SETA service after 22 years. It was gratifying to see how things that the Systems Command insurgency team I was part of have become standard practice within the Navy. To the point where I helped write a White Paper early in my tenure about how my customer was using the very COTS and Open Architecture concepts I helped advocate in the 1990's.
Pros
Close to Metro
Cons
Close to Metro
Alion use to be great
Customer Support (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC17 February 2018
Once upon a time Alion was an enjoyable place to work but the last 2 - 2 1/2 years have been horrible. They were in so much debt they cut a lot of people and GOOD managers! They were brought by an investment company and did a complete reorg! He changes have been horrible from the management to the benefits. No more holiday parties, no more family picnics, no more work sponsored events such as Our Military Kids. The morale is poor. No one wants to be there they just show up because it's a pay check. If you're not billable your job is not safe. The benefits have changed drastically and are expensive. I would think twice before joining Alion!
Pros
Work load, work life balance
Cons
Expensive Healthcare, Poor Management, Poor Raises
Good to get your foot in the door
Associate Program Management Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DC16 February 2018
Alion is good for getting your foot in the door. However, it lives up to its reputation of low pay, poor management, and no career advancement. You have to threaten to leave in order to get a raise or get promoted.
Alion Leadership at Client Site was Exceptional
Senior Military Analyst (Former Employee) –  Crystal City, VA13 February 2018
Alion Manager at Client Site was very sharp. Always identified by client to do strategic planning for the office and to lead staff in developing new ideas and programs.
Pros
Supportive Leadership
Isolated office
Senior Engineering Design Intern (Former Employee) –  Grantsburg, WI7 February 2018
While the Grantsburg office does quality engineering and design work, it sometimes moves too slowly due to how far it is physically situated from its clients and the rest of the company.
Employee Morale? What's that?
Indirect Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Washington, DC31 January 2018
The Management team at Alion does not understand nor value the value of fostering a positive work environment that motivates employees to continue performing well. There is a noticeable lack of trust or enthusiasm amongst the worker-bees and the middle management. Most decision just happen to you, and not with you. If you are not a technical person that charges directly to the Government clients you are not valued nor appreciated. Nobody says "thank you" at this company. Oh and they underpay on top of that.
Pros
Location.
Cons
Everything besides the location.