Algonquin Resort

Algonquin Resort Employee Reviews

Canada22 reviews
Currently a room attendant with this property. This has been my position for the last 4 years, my choice. There are ample positions available and always room to move up in the company if you're interested. This position works best for me in the way of shifts (all day shifts) and lay off through the slow months (winter...because who wants to travel in winter if they dont have to!)
There is a certain housekeeping supervisor that goes into your rooms and takes your tips. Very fast paced job, especially if you’re good at it. Long hours
Pros
Free night, pool and gym access
Cons
Thieving supervisor
HR is terrible they have no idea how to talk to people and zero empathy for their employees, and management is so unorganized it’s painful. The staff housing is awful and unclean.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Literally everything else
Definitely the best resort in New
Brunswick to work for. Management is clicky and allow employees to bully the "outcrowd." I didn't have that problem, but had to witness childish antics on the regular. I had a great time and made lots of money. The accomadations need improving.
This historic property has multiple buildings on site and a great pool and fitness facility that can be used by staff. Lots of things to remember for the check in process but you will encounter great people along the way.
Work was great. Friendly people and management was great. Lots of opportunity to cross train and there was endless opportunities to learn more about the industry.
This resort is 130 years old. As i am working as room attendent it is an amazing place. All staff members are very co-operative. I get a lot of experince. I learn team work, time management.
Overall working with the team at the Algonquin was great, they ensure you feel apart of the team.

The work as overnight cleaner was to be as expected lots of duties but not impossible to achieve. various jobs ensure a smooth transition through the night.

I learned a great deal about the community of Saint Andrews through the Algonquin and their drive to be apart of it.
Great place to work and a wonderful experience. Management and HR do not deal well with employees with mental illnesses. if you decide to work here be prepared to not have any time off or change any shifts on your schedule. Very strict about changing shifts and hours that you work.
Very passionate concerning Hotel management, Guest relations,
Pros
Objectifs realisation
Cons
Need always more than objectifs vised
The Company is located in small town in Saint Andrew New Brunswick. I worked as a porter and a waiter, Working this hotel is very fun and interesting. I got to many different people from around the world.
Pros
Free Lunch and Accomodations
Cons
Long Hour or very Short Hours
Spent over 2 years here and loved every minute I was there. Great property you can learn so much from. The hotel so rich with history makes for the perfect spot to vacation or work.
Pros
affordable staff residence
Cons
very quiet and not busy for some seasons
The Algoquin Hotefue una gran empresa para practicas, ya que te dan la oportunidad de intentar todo y el personal da lo mejor para enseñarte cualquier escenario propio de un hotel
Pros
Descansos optimos, horario flexible
Cons
Sin paga
I learned a lot being here, the staff and supervisors were very supportive and encouraging during and after shifts. you can go to them for anything. it was a beautiful location, great people, amazing environment!
Pros
felt like home
Cons
random hours
could have been better, if you are a seasonal worker, you get minimum wage with almost no raise, no medical benefits, the reason why i am no longer there is because there were no benefits and i have medical bills of over 500 a month. and only a 3% raise. if possible go for a full time position, but there are only so many. and you do not get full hours in the winter.
Employed during Renovations so my position included the cleanup of rooms after construction workers work was comepleted as well as cleaning of the occasional guest room or suite when there were groups or weddings on the weekends. I was unfortunately not an employee at the time renovations were comepleted. The hardest part of the job was when certain rooms were extremely dirty from either being closed for a lengthy period of time or the construction workers did a large amount of work in the rooms. The most enjoyable part of the job was when we could be outside briefly when walking from different areas of the hotel.
Pros
Discounts in Restaurant and Spa
Cons
Extremely soiled rooms post renovations
Great job, terrible management. Would play to his favorites, even if they were inferior employees. Having golf course and hotel separate also made it difficult to get things done.
A typical day at work starts out by stocking my cart and cleaning rooms, I make beds, clean bathrooms, vacuum floors, and gather various amenities for guests I just cant perform as quickly as needed because of my body as i have a medical condition that I have a hard time with my foot/ ankle so I have had a sprain due to stress on it from walking 20 k steps a day, the Hotel is massive, It is probably the worst part of the job, Having it so vast and big, I love working with my co workers, they make my job enjoyable,
Pros
helpful, cheerful, honest
Cons
failing to tell me what I need to do to better myself.
St Andrews and the Algonquin Hotel are simply amazing. Beautiful area and town. The management are passionate about the property and about their employees.
Great place to work, very busy in the summer months doing up to 275 covers a night from the restaurant line with a small team. Wonderful team, very supportive and everyone loves working together. High levels of professionalism and dedication to the job. Although there is a great deal of politics and this can very easily get in the way of proper discipline and can effect work being done.

I'm leaving with a lot of experience in all parts of the kitchen, I have grown as a cook a great deal because of the staff at the Algonquin.
Pros
Room to be creative
Cons
A lot of politics with management
I was the supervisor for F & B at the Algonquin last summer, It was an excellent challenge to work in fine dining, Lunch and Breakfast in the Braxton restaurant and lounge. I managed a series of staff members, hostess, servers and bartenders etc. I gained a great deal of management experience and implemented my service excellence skills.
Pros
Hospitality, Languages, and Tourism
Cons
Low pay, benefits