Work wellbeing score is 82 out of 100

Algonquin College Employee Reviews

Canada250 reviews

collegestudentprofessorteachingprogramcampusclassparttime

Great place.

Great place to work. Very happy with how everything works and there is a very positive team that helps out. Would not change anything about this organization.

Great Experience

I had a great experience here and I would highly recommend I feel a lot of support from my coworkers it was a decent work environment for me and I appreciated having them

Insights into Algonquin College

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Inclusive work environment

Humans resources administration duties

Enjoy the opportunity working with in an academic environment, it was a short contract to help with backlog of tasks.I would recommend working with the institutions.They have a rich culture and work ethic

Great

Great place for student estheticians to gain experience in the field and work with real clients in a salon environment. A lot of the time there wouldn’t be many clients, but still enough to gain experience

Benefits

Great benefits if you are full-time, otherwise it can really depend on where you work. There are three campuses, this also can impact your experience.

Great place to eork

I enjoyed working the three month contract- wish it was longer. The Management was lovely and excellent with communication. The staff and students were very helpful.

Pros

Friendly Staff Great Manager

Cons

Expensive Parking

Great programs that are well structured and straightforward

great pay, not always as organized as they can be. schedules can change at the drop of a hat, so be ready to be flexible at times. usually good leadership that is supportive, but not always given clear direction.

Pros

pays very well

Friendly work environment

I have been working as software developer for last 8 months, work is competitive and work culture is very friendly and cooperative. The team i working is 6 consist of 3 other developers , team lead and manager. everyone are super cooperative and responsive.

Would have loved to stay, but was a temporary contract

It's great to work for education and feel like you're investing in people's futures. Colleges get a lot of funding so they are forward thinking and generally can pay fairly well, and if you can get in, there are unions and job security.

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Wasn't full-time

Great experience

Good place to grow professionally, good pay. Management and politics can be overwhelming. Unionized environment. Benefits are okay, could be better. Nice location

Not productive not fun workplace

Not productive not fun workplaceCourses are expensive and not worth it I would never take a course here again.I’m not sure what else you want to knowI’m not happy with Algonkin college football and do not wish to have any more reviews

Collaborate environment

Support at the College is great from Management’s to Support Staff. Staff are there for the student. Goals are set and all staff help to accomplish them.

Pros

Great athletic facilities for staff

Cons

Stressful at times

Good start

It was a good start for me in Canada, as I had just finished my studies. Nice place to work, lots of technology, training, good boss. I loved working there.

Cons

extra hours

I am able to work to accomplish goals with management help.

I work in facilities. We are a bit understaffed, but the management allows us freedom to set goals and to work outside our assigned areas if needed. A typical day for me will include field supervision, some long term planning, and some work outside my assgined area in areas such and energy management and environmental.

A terrible place to work as a Respiratory Therapist.

There was no job orientation provided so I had to look for help from other Technologists. The College is understaffed and the RT professors are stressed out, dysfunctional and difficult to communicate with.

A good place to work for my Co-op experience

I did my four months Co-op at Algonquin College and learned a lot through that period of time. Manager and coworkers are positive and helpful. Have nothing bad to say about it during such a short time experience.Overall experience was great!

Algonquin College is the best place I've worked!

I worked for Algonquin College as part of its Student's Association for just over three years while living and attending classes in Ottawa. I worked at the Starbucks most frequently, but got to be part of some of the events that were put on by the establishment as well. I always loved this job and was so excited when I saw the opportunity to work with Algonquin College at the Pembroke Campus, where I now live. Since beginning my position in Food Services in January, I feel great. The management is understanding, they will answer any questions you have, they try to work with you and truly take your ideas into consideration for improvements. I always feel heard and understood. I am do blessed to have a job that pays so well, but also leaves me with some energy to go home with and fun stories to remember with customer and staff interactions. I can't wait to see what the future holds when covid restrictions lift and we finally pick up! Excited for the "Starbucks Hustle" that I experienced in Ottawa, but now with some delicious food!

Pros

Pay, staff discount, great team members, weekends off, atmosphere

Cons

Slow pace- until covid restrictions lift

Great Place to Work!

Loved working for the Social Service Worker department, unfortunately my contract was cut short due to Covid-19. I would have loved to continue on with this company.

This place is run like Senior's home run by old bats!

My time with this organization was "challenging" to say the least, a bunch of old women in the PM/BRM team seem to dictate everything within IT, from information security, infrastructure, to the rest of the organization. The worst part is that these women have absolutely no idea what they're doing, yet they're dictating everything. Their own dept is a mess and don't get along very well at all, they're just rude and downright unintelligent.The IT managers, directors, and above seem to have zero control or interest in changing anything. It's just a complete and utter mess of an organization.I would not recommend this college if you want to do good work, but if you want to take things slow, not really care, and want to just collect a paycheque, or just have everything dictated to you by a bunch of old crows despite their lack of understanding then this place is for you.

Pros

Easy work, boring, very slow paced, good place to just disappear and collect a paycheque.

Cons

The old crows who run PM/BRM office.

Great environment, good pay and perks

Good pay and good advancement opportunities. Excellent benefits and education upgrades available. Always room for advancement. Progressive culture for the most part.

Pros

Good benefits, pay

Pretty good for an Office Job

I liked working here just fine The pay is great and, if you're full time and qualify for them, benefits are good. No benefits if you start in part time, and if you do you'll probably be part time for a few years at least. Work is very clear and there are usually supports in place if you need them. Campus itself is beautiful and the events you have access to through employment there are huge in number. The individual departments have good morale and friendly team interactions, everyone seems to enjoy their past and present team members. Algonquin is a very large business and with that comes obvious communication challenges. Due to the semestered nature of college, there are regular busy times throughout the year and you WILL answer the same questions every 3 months. It's somewhat tedious but honest work for more than adequate pay.

Pros

Reliable work flow, lots of chances for advancement, the cafeteria food is a major plus

Cons

frustratingly large company, paying for parking, navigating campus

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Algonquin College. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement