Algonquin College

Algonquin College: 231 Employee Reviews

Canada231 reviews

collegestudentprofessorteachingprogramcampusclassparttime

Good start

It was a good start for me in Canada, as I had just finished my studies. Nice place to work, lots of technology, training, good boss. I loved working there.

Cons

extra hours

I am able to work to accomplish goals with management help.

I work in facilities. We are a bit understaffed, but the management allows us freedom to set goals and to work outside our assigned areas if needed. A typical day for me will include field supervision, some long term planning, and some work outside my assgined area in areas such and energy management and environmental.

Insights into Algonquin College

What people like
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Supportive environment

A terrible place to work as a Respiratory Therapist.

There was no job orientation provided so I had to look for help from other Technologists. The College is understaffed and the RT professors are stressed out, dysfunctional and difficult to communicate with.

A good place to work for my Co-op experience

I did my four months Co-op at Algonquin College and learned a lot through that period of time. Manager and coworkers are positive and helpful. Have nothing bad to say about it during such a short time experience.Overall experience was great!

Algonquin College is the best place I've worked!

I worked for Algonquin College as part of its Student's Association for just over three years while living and attending classes in Ottawa. I worked at the Starbucks most frequently, but got to be part of some of the events that were put on by the establishment as well. I always loved this job and was so excited when I saw the opportunity to work with Algonquin College at the Pembroke Campus, where I now live. Since beginning my position in Food Services in January, I feel great. The management is understanding, they will answer any questions you have, they try to work with you and truly take your ideas into consideration for improvements. I always feel heard and understood. I am do blessed to have a job that pays so well, but also leaves me with some energy to go home with and fun stories to remember with customer and staff interactions. I can't wait to see what the future holds when covid restrictions lift and we finally pick up! Excited for the "Starbucks Hustle" that I experienced in Ottawa, but now with some delicious food!

Pros

Pay, staff discount, great team members, weekends off, atmosphere

Cons

Slow pace- until covid restrictions lift

Great Place to Work!

Loved working for the Social Service Worker department, unfortunately my contract was cut short due to Covid-19. I would have loved to continue on with this company.

This place is run like Senior's home run by old bats!

My time with this organization was "challenging" to say the least, a bunch of old women in the PM/BRM team seem to dictate everything within IT, from information security, infrastructure, to the rest of the organization. The worst part is that these women have absolutely no idea what they're doing, yet they're dictating everything. Their own dept is a mess and don't get along very well at all, they're just rude and downright unintelligent.The IT managers, directors, and above seem to have zero control or interest in changing anything. It's just a complete and utter mess of an organization.I would not recommend this college if you want to do good work, but if you want to take things slow, not really care, and want to just collect a paycheque, or just have everything dictated to you by a bunch of old crows despite their lack of understanding then this place is for you.

Pros

Easy work, boring, very slow paced, good place to just disappear and collect a paycheque.

Cons

The old crows who run PM/BRM office.

Great environment, good pay and perks

Good pay and good advancement opportunities. Excellent benefits and education upgrades available. Always room for advancement. Progressive culture for the most part.

Pros

Good benefits, pay

Pretty good for an Office Job

I liked working here just fine The pay is great and, if you're full time and qualify for them, benefits are good. No benefits if you start in part time, and if you do you'll probably be part time for a few years at least. Work is very clear and there are usually supports in place if you need them. Campus itself is beautiful and the events you have access to through employment there are huge in number. The individual departments have good morale and friendly team interactions, everyone seems to enjoy their past and present team members. Algonquin is a very large business and with that comes obvious communication challenges. Due to the semestered nature of college, there are regular busy times throughout the year and you WILL answer the same questions every 3 months. It's somewhat tedious but honest work for more than adequate pay.

Pros

Reliable work flow, lots of chances for advancement, the cafeteria food is a major plus

Cons

frustratingly large company, paying for parking, navigating campus

Collaborative place to work

This is a space if you do good work, others are willing to work with you and you learn a lot from them.There are a lot of tools and different learning opportunities available to people working at Algonquin. I really enjoyed the position and I have learned a lot along the way.

Positive workplace with lots of support

Always willing to accept input for improvements to course, process and procedure. Plenty of coworkers willing to collaborate and assist if required. Positive attitude towards fostering employee relations.

Best place to work

I worker at Algonquin College for 3 months part-time, it was honestly the best job i’ve ever had!! Friendly staff and great environment. I had no issues here.

Great atmosphere with a little help from coworkers

This institution is a special and unique environment, truly and wholly cultivated by staff and management. I look forward to everyday and continue to explore ways that I can connect with a new opportunity that will extend my short term contract.

Pros

Casual work environment

Cons

Short term contract

Equipment coordinator

Organize and manage camera, video equipment as well as any accessories necessary. Make sure camera equipment is organized, cleaned, charged and ready to go. Manage the OS system provided to manage booking dates and times for the students. Supervise the classrooms and studios to make sure people aren’t staying late past curfew and treating the property correctly. At the end of the night, make sure that all lighting equipment and prop room is put away neatly and safely to insure a clean and healthy environment for our creatives.

Pros

Able to edit and do homework on downtime

Cons

None I can think of

Good Experience, Very poorly compensated

Emphasis on contract lecturers. Only paid for class teaching time. Unfairness is that I was expected to create a new course with no textbook, no support, and was expected to source the information, design, build the course, then teach it. Get paid though, only two hours per week, because that is the amount of "teaching time". That is exploitive. The course where there is a textbook and outline with resources, is thus more fairly compensated based on time spent to deliver the course, but still not fair pay for work. This is permissible for contract professors, this is typical I understand. Good experience and good for resume building, but you cannot earn a living as a contract lecturer. I had another full time job.

Pros

Nice people, I enjoyed working with the students

Cons

Poorly compensated and supported

A Great Place to Work and Learn.

Working at Algonquin College was one of the best jobs I ever had. I liked teaching classes and helping students out. I'd love to get back and do this.

Pros

Great staff, salary, benefits.

Cons

can't think of any.

Fantastic school

Algonquin college provides all the necessary skills in order to feel competent and confident when entering your field of study. The professors are kind and understanding.

Pros

Great knowledge

Cons

High cost for program

Excellent management and co-workers

I worked at Algonquin College for 27 years. It was an excellent place to work. Excellent management, flexibility, fair wages and benefits. I loved working with my students and had great co-workers. I had an excellent dean.

Pros

Excellent wages and benefits, excellent healthcare plan and flexible hours

Productive workplace

We worked on various events, which were well planned and organized, The manager is good and has good work ethics. The overall experience working at Algonquin college was amazing.

Place to learn more

Algonquin College is always known for excellence as professors contribute more to all over the development of students. student lean new things and utilize the skills in a real environment is the main priority of the college and management.

Professional work

Good experience and i loved it for 14 years. I recommend it. I loved teaching adult students. Less stressful than teaching young children. The supervisors were the best.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Algonquin College. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement