Algonquin College

Algonquin College Employee Reviews

Collaborative place to work

This is a space if you do good work, others are willing to work with you and you learn a lot from them.There are a lot of tools and different learning opportunities available to people working at Algonquin. I really enjoyed the position and I have learned a lot along the way.

Positive workplace with lots of support

Always willing to accept input for improvements to course, process and procedure. Plenty of coworkers willing to collaborate and assist if required. Positive attitude towards fostering employee relations.

Best place to work

I worker at Algonquin College for 3 months part-time, it was honestly the best job i’ve ever had!! Friendly staff and great environment. I had no issues here.

Great atmosphere with a little help from coworkers

This institution is a special and unique environment, truly and wholly cultivated by staff and management. I look forward to everyday and continue to explore ways that I can connect with a new opportunity that will extend my short term contract.

Pros

Casual work environment

Cons

Short term contract

Equipment coordinator

Organize and manage camera, video equipment as well as any accessories necessary. Make sure camera equipment is organized, cleaned, charged and ready to go. Manage the OS system provided to manage booking dates and times for the students. Supervise the classrooms and studios to make sure people aren’t staying late past curfew and treating the property correctly. At the end of the night, make sure that all lighting equipment and prop room is put away neatly and safely to insure a clean and healthy environment for our creatives.

Pros

Able to edit and do homework on downtime

Cons

None I can think of

Good Experience, Very poorly compensated

Emphasis on contract lecturers. Only paid for class teaching time. Unfairness is that I was expected to create a new course with no textbook, no support, and was expected to source the information, design, build the course, then teach it. Get paid though, only two hours per week, because that is the amount of "teaching time". That is exploitive. The course where there is a textbook and outline with resources, is thus more fairly compensated based on time spent to deliver the course, but still not fair pay for work. This is permissible for contract professors, this is typical I understand. Good experience and good for resume building, but you cannot earn a living as a contract lecturer. I had another full time job.

Pros

Nice people, I enjoyed working with the students

Cons

Poorly compensated and supported

A Great Place to Work and Learn.

Working at Algonquin College was one of the best jobs I ever had. I liked teaching classes and helping students out. I'd love to get back and do this.

Pros

Great staff, salary, benefits.

Cons

can't think of any.

Fantastic school

Algonquin college provides all the necessary skills in order to feel competent and confident when entering your field of study. The professors are kind and understanding.

Pros

Great knowledge

Cons

High cost for program

Excellent management and co-workers

I worked at Algonquin College for 27 years. It was an excellent place to work. Excellent management, flexibility, fair wages and benefits. I loved working with my students and had great co-workers. I had an excellent dean.

Pros

Excellent wages and benefits, excellent healthcare plan and flexible hours

Productive workplace

We worked on various events, which were well planned and organized, The manager is good and has good work ethics. The overall experience working at Algonquin college was amazing.

Jobs at Algonquin College

See more jobs

Place to learn more

Algonquin College is always known for excellence as professors contribute more to all over the development of students. student lean new things and utilize the skills in a real environment is the main priority of the college and management.

Professional work

Good experience and i loved it for 14 years. I recommend it. I loved teaching adult students. Less stressful than teaching young children. The supervisors were the best.

It was an amazing experience where staff was always willing to help to set up account or even connect me with other professionals. Everyday for was was an opportunity to learn something new and refresh things that I had learned in class but did not get the chance to practice or explain to somebody else.

Pros

Flexible timing

okay

great environment to learn and work. the team is fairly agile but decision making has bottleneck and very slow. there needs to be a more agile approach. the people are freiendly

Very collaborative setting, being school enviroonmment.

It was an environment that one could learn technology. Very collaborative setting, being school enviroonmment. I was exposed to so many learning enviroonment and was willing and ready to learn.

The system is well set for success

This is a good college, the staff is friendly. A lot more work is needed to done towards hiring minority professors and recruitment of minority students in the Architecture/construction/engineering fields. This would inspire minority students to gain confidence and perform better in their careers.

Great place!

Working at Algonquin is both challenging and rewarding. The organization is very well structured and the programs are top notch. The college value experienced hands and all contributions are always welcome. Students are also treated with respect and I have observed that the students operate to very high standards especially in the School of Advanced Technology where I teach.

Be Careful, some things ain’t what they seem.

One particular department has an impossible and tyrannical situation, lots of problems, trust issues, lip service, unable to engage staff, communicate and collaborate. Overall the one questionable departmental could improve their values, ethics, integrity, and management performance. This place has very unique problems that won't be resolved until they change the management regime within the department in question. Some jobs are un-manageable and this may be one of them. Be cautious and do your industrial networking prior to accepting an offer, otherwise, you may find yourself in a bad situation.

workplace is friendly

I love working at my workplace. It is stress free and the staff is very cooperative and helpful. People from diffreent cultures work here and respect each other's culture.

I didn't work at Algonquin

I was a student in Algonquin, though each assignment in our courses was treated as work and a task, therefore, this questionnaire does not reflect my experience as a worker in Algonquin College

Comfortable Employment for Students

Algonquin College has jobs that are super flexible and accommodating for students. However, the salary is a low union wage. Management within the Student Learning Centre are great!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Algonquin College. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.3