Algonquin College Employee Reviews

Very Good
Peer Tutor (Current Employee) –  Nepean, ON12 March 2019
My hours depend on when I am booked by people who need tutoring. Since I am still a student myself, my hours are fit around my class schedule. I do find the system we use to input hours a little finicky but that doesn't take away from the experience.
Pros
Easy to apply.
Cons
Inconsistent pay since my hours are not regular.
Great Atmosphere
Food Services Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON12 February 2019
I have worked at Algonquin for almost 5 years, each year has been great. I have worked mostly as a student labourer, and thus have the balance of school work and work. Each semester my boss worked to make a schedule that did not change, and that gave me enough time. This small effort on the part of my manager made a difference to me, and every manager is just as caring at algonquin, whether your a student, or a full-time staff member.
Teaching optical design and fundamentals
Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 February 2019
Teaching is so valuable and rewarding for me, I am very happy to improve myself all the time.

Also I am working in Iridian Spectral Technologies as working in thin film deposition which is coating work with sputtering machine.
Lab/Clinical Instructor for RN students (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 January 2019
Algonquin College is a great place to work. I teach as a contracted instructor and I love it. Staff are warm and welcoming, everything is very organized.
retail sales cashier
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 December 2018
* Interaction with customers
* sales and cashier
* maintaining hygiene and keeping accounts
* fun to work in the campus as it is always busy
* facing 500+ customers during a shift
It was a very good school
Student (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 October 2018
One of the best schools I attended in Canada. Good amenities/ facilities to help students excel. We had employers recruiting towards the end of our program which was very good.
Pros
Very good school with good facilities
Cons
Courses were demanding but helpful
It's freelance tutoring
Peer Tutor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON27 October 2018
Peer Tutoring at Algonquin, and perhaps anywhere, is really just a way to make a few extra bucks on the side while attending classes. Trying to do it even as a part-time job is a lot of bus rides for a lot of 2-3 hour days.
Pros
Completely customizable schedule
Cons
Minimum wage after the increase; no guaranteed work
very productive and comfortable working environment.
Front desk overall worker (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON26 October 2018
It is a job that can teach a lot about working in a cafeteria. Its especially a good deal for college students as it is on campus. A good staff and enjoyable working condition.
good place to learn and grow
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 August 2018
The pay was not competitive at all but it gave me the experience I needed to jump in my career goals.

The environment is friendly as co-workers are eager to help
Happy with a twist
Centre for Accessible Learning (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 August 2018
Great employer, just hard to get in full-time permanent and have that job security. Great working atmosphere and organized campus. Parking is expensive, but otherwise flawless system.
Rewarding
Part time Professor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 August 2018
Enjoyable work environment yet challenging. Management has high professional ethics. Students are usually eager to learn with very few exceptions. Overall very rewarding.
Productive environment
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON9 July 2018
I enjoyed working there as a student, it allowed me to have work experience while being able to go to my classes right after work. The management is excellent, one of the best I've experienced.
Pros
discounts
Great place to work! Progressive and friendly.
Business Operations Officer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 July 2018
My skills were under utilized at Algonquin College, but never-the-less I was able to jump in and make a difference.

The director let me take on things that I saw were needed.

Unfortunately, there was no job security and it was very hard to get hired on full-time.
Pros
Beautiful offices, friendly people, progressive managers and director.
Cons
Only part-time with no benefits.
Excellent
PROFESSOR (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, ON18 June 2018
One of my favourite, all-time jobs! Loved teaching, adminnstration and helping students of all ages reach their goals. Personally, there was little chance for advancement but an amazing experience non the less
A goodplace to apply whatever you learned in your program
Technical Researcher (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 May 2018
Getting the job is actually not that easy! you got to have a good reference from your professor. Projects are always fun and innovative though which requires good expertise and creativity.
Very Helpful
Cooking Trainee (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON12 May 2018
This was very useful for when I am about to head to college. Job/work balance was good,no salary was involved, job security was great, had a great manager, and enjoyed the job environment.
Friendly Workplace
Procedure Writer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON5 May 2018
If you want to start your career, this is the best start. Algonquin is a friendly place to work.

Being Procedure writer, my duties were to interview subject matter expert, get information on the task, procedures, and processes. Collaboration, teamwork, and co-operation is key to success.
Can't say enough positive things about Algonquin!
Project & Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON23 April 2018
Although I was on a recurring two-week contract (very stressful) I have never had a better place to work. I have learned so much working with the staff at Algonquin and appreciate every minute of it. A very amazing place to work that is unlike any other.
Good workplace culture, management seems to care.
Part-time Professor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 March 2018
Under trying circumstances, with many competing objectives and goals, management walks the tightrope of managing and guiding its employees.
Teaching is a privilege, not a right - always privileged to arrive in front of a class of students ready to learn.
Hardest part of the job, no matter how hard you try, there is no possible way to please every single student - statistically, some students just won't like you or your teaching style.
Best part of the job - continuous self improvement by the challenge of teaching - a different challenge every single time you step into the classroom.
Pros
The joy of teaching.
Cons
Handing back graded material and having to explain your grading to students.
Simple methodical work
Server (Former Employee) –  Nepean, ON15 March 2018
Set tables, serve food and drinks and clear plates. Super easy work that pays minimum wage. Management is nice. all in all a good place to work if you're looking for some extra cash.
Pros
free food
Cons
irregular hours