Algonquin College Employee Reviews

Great place to work! Progressive and friendly.
Business Operations Officer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 July 2018
My skills were under utilized at Algonquin College, but never-the-less I was able to jump in and make a difference.

The director let me take on things that I saw were needed.

Unfortunately, there was no job security and it was very hard to get hired on full-time.
Pros
Beautiful offices, friendly people, progressive managers and director.
Cons
Only part-time with no benefits.
good place to learn and grow
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 August 2018
The pay was not competitive at all but it gave me the experience I needed to jump in my career goals.

The environment is friendly as co-workers are eager to help
Very Helpful
Cooking Trainee (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON12 May 2018
This was very useful for when I am about to head to college. Job/work balance was good,no salary was involved, job security was great, had a great manager, and enjoyed the job environment.
Happy with a twist
Centre for Accessible Learning (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 August 2018
Great employer, just hard to get in full-time permanent and have that job security. Great working atmosphere and organized campus. Parking is expensive, but otherwise flawless system.
Good workplace culture, management seems to care.
Part-time Professor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 March 2018
Under trying circumstances, with many competing objectives and goals, management walks the tightrope of managing and guiding its employees.
Teaching is a privilege, not a right - always privileged to arrive in front of a class of students ready to learn.
Hardest part of the job, no matter how hard you try, there is no possible way to please every single student - statistically, some students just won't like you or your teaching style.
Best part of the job - continuous self improvement by the challenge of teaching - a different challenge every single time you step into the classroom.
Pros
The joy of teaching.
Cons
Handing back graded material and having to explain your grading to students.
Rewarding
Part time Professor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 August 2018
Enjoyable work environment yet challenging. Management has high professional ethics. Students are usually eager to learn with very few exceptions. Overall very rewarding.
Productive environment
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON9 July 2018
I enjoyed working there as a student, it allowed me to have work experience while being able to go to my classes right after work. The management is excellent, one of the best I've experienced.
Pros
discounts
It's freelance tutoring
Peer Tutor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON27 October 2018
Peer Tutoring at Algonquin, and perhaps anywhere, is really just a way to make a few extra bucks on the side while attending classes. Trying to do it even as a part-time job is a lot of bus rides for a lot of 2-3 hour days.
Pros
Completely customizable schedule
Cons
Minimum wage after the increase; no guaranteed work
Excellent
PROFESSOR (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, ON18 June 2018
One of my favourite, all-time jobs! Loved teaching, adminnstration and helping students of all ages reach their goals. Personally, there was little chance for advancement but an amazing experience non the less
Friendly Workplace
Procedure Writer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON5 May 2018
If you want to start your career, this is the best start. Algonquin is a friendly place to work.

Being Procedure writer, my duties were to interview subject matter expert, get information on the task, procedures, and processes. Collaboration, teamwork, and co-operation is key to success.
It was a very good school
Student (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 October 2018
One of the best schools I attended in Canada. Good amenities/ facilities to help students excel. We had employers recruiting towards the end of our program which was very good.
Pros
Very good school with good facilities
Cons
Courses were demanding but helpful
very productive and comfortable working environment.
Front desk overall worker (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON26 October 2018
It is a job that can teach a lot about working in a cafeteria. Its especially a good deal for college students as it is on campus. A good staff and enjoyable working condition.
Great but with some hang-ups
Employee (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 March 2016
Employment at Algonquin College can be a roller coaster. The College provides an excellent compensation and benefits package, as well as providing flexibility and good work life balance. Unfortunately to counter this is a cultural that can be divisive and some what combative between different groups. There is also a significant bureaucracy with a veritable warehouse of red tape. The cultural and bureaucracy can be challenging especially for younger change hunger employees.

Overall the College scores just above the middle of the road because of the contradicting aspects. Cultural Improvement could take this employer to the top.
Pros
Great Pay and Benefits, Course discounts, Gym Discounts
Cons
Culture, Bureaucracy, Limited Advancement
Very friendly, but in a transitional state
English Professor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON23 February 2018
It is a great place to work; however, the job security is stressful and you rarely know your semester's schedule until the last minute. You also can be switched between significant pay discrepancies (sessional vs partial load).
Pros
Autonomy and respect
Cons
Job security and equal pay
Simple methodical work
Server (Former Employee) –  Nepean, ON15 March 2018
Set tables, serve food and drinks and clear plates. Super easy work that pays minimum wage. Management is nice. all in all a good place to work if you're looking for some extra cash.
Pros
free food
Cons
irregular hours
High degree of learning
Motive Power Technician Program (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, ON27 January 2018
College was a great time to learn in such a short time. I learned everything I needed to know going forward in this field of work. I choose this to be my career and my program helped me prepare for a life time in the automotive industry
Pros
Short time for a degree, learned everything i need to know to be a mechanic
Cons
knew nothing going into school
learn a lot positive and negative
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 August 2017
it is a good place to work if they are hiring you as a full time job, because of the benefits that you are getting.

but once you are a part time it's no good at all, because aside from working from a less than 25 hrs a week, when you are new there some people are nice to you teach you the right way, others that are there for such a long time, those are the one that get you into trouble.

the management needs to fix some of the issues specially for the seniors.
Precarity
Communication Professor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 February 2018
Permanent positions are rare, and it is stressful to always be on a short-term contract. After 4 years at Algonquin, I still have no job security. My colleagues are great, though!
Pros
students and colleagues
Cons
administration
A great place to teach law clerks
Part-time Professor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 January 2018
The College is a wonderful place to share enthusiasm for the profession with students who are looking for practical training in the law industry. I found the staff very friendly and students eager. The compensation is unfortunately, the shortfall.
A goodplace to apply whatever you learned in your program
Technical Researcher (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 May 2018
Getting the job is actually not that easy! you got to have a good reference from your professor. Projects are always fun and innovative though which requires good expertise and creativity.