Algonquin College Employee Reviews

Great place to work! Progressive and friendly.
Business Operations Officer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 July 2018
My skills were under utilized at Algonquin College, but never-the-less I was able to jump in and make a difference.

The director let me take on things that I saw were needed.

Unfortunately, there was no job security and it was very hard to get hired on full-time.
Pros
Beautiful offices, friendly people, progressive managers and director.
Cons
Only part-time with no benefits.
Excellent
PROFESSOR (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, ON18 June 2018
One of my favourite, all-time jobs! Loved teaching, adminnstration and helping students of all ages reach their goals. Personally, there was little chance for advancement but an amazing experience non the less
A goodplace to apply whatever you learned in your program
Technical Researcher (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 May 2018
Getting the job is actually not that easy! you got to have a good reference from your professor. Projects are always fun and innovative though which requires good expertise and creativity.
Very Helpful
Cooking Trainee (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON12 May 2018
This was very useful for when I am about to head to college. Job/work balance was good,no salary was involved, job security was great, had a great manager, and enjoyed the job environment.
Friendly Workplace
Procedure Writer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON5 May 2018
If you want to start your career, this is the best start. Algonquin is a friendly place to work.

Being Procedure writer, my duties were to interview subject matter expert, get information on the task, procedures, and processes. Collaboration, teamwork, and co-operation is key to success.
Can't say enough positive things about Algonquin!
Project & Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON23 April 2018
Although I was on a recurring two-week contract (very stressful) I have never had a better place to work. I have learned so much working with the staff at Algonquin and appreciate every minute of it. A very amazing place to work that is unlike any other.
Good workplace culture, management seems to care.
Part-time Professor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 March 2018
Under trying circumstances, with many competing objectives and goals, management walks the tightrope of managing and guiding its employees.
Teaching is a privilege, not a right - always privileged to arrive in front of a class of students ready to learn.
Hardest part of the job, no matter how hard you try, there is no possible way to please every single student - statistically, some students just won't like you or your teaching style.
Best part of the job - continuous self improvement by the challenge of teaching - a different challenge every single time you step into the classroom.
Pros
The joy of teaching.
Cons
Handing back graded material and having to explain your grading to students.
Simple methodical work
Server (Former Employee) –  Nepean, ON15 March 2018
Set tables, serve food and drinks and clear plates. Super easy work that pays minimum wage. Management is nice. all in all a good place to work if you're looking for some extra cash.
Pros
free food
Cons
irregular hours
Nice place with nice people
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 March 2018
Nice place, but everything is not consistent. The strike happened and it screwed everything up, luckily now everything is better. Good and cheap food, nice people, good staff. What else do we need?
Very friendly, but in a transitional state
English Professor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON23 February 2018
It is a great place to work; however, the job security is stressful and you rarely know your semester's schedule until the last minute. You also can be switched between significant pay discrepancies (sessional vs partial load).
Pros
Autonomy and respect
Cons
Job security and equal pay
Precarity
Communication Professor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 February 2018
Permanent positions are rare, and it is stressful to always be on a short-term contract. After 4 years at Algonquin, I still have no job security. My colleagues are great, though!
Pros
students and colleagues
Cons
administration
My manager was the best human being I've ever known
Business Intelligence Analyst (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 February 2018
Working at the BI office was the best job I ever had. Everyone on the team is a great person. I recommend that all students apply for their co-op at Algonquin.
Workplace with table
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON5 February 2018
I was an designer assistant last summer. I learned how to select materials and ideas. I used different ways to think about the designs. I also learned how listen to different kinds of people's ideas. It can help me get more interested opinions.
Informative
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON5 February 2018
Great place friendly and knowledgeable people. It was a place to start and gain valuable information for the work I was getting into and helped with the training and information on tools and projects I would deal with in the field
A great place to teach law clerks
Part-time Professor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 January 2018
The College is a wonderful place to share enthusiasm for the profession with students who are looking for practical training in the law industry. I found the staff very friendly and students eager. The compensation is unfortunately, the shortfall.
High degree of learning
Motive Power Technician Program (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, ON27 January 2018
College was a great time to learn in such a short time. I learned everything I needed to know going forward in this field of work. I choose this to be my career and my program helped me prepare for a life time in the automotive industry
Pros
Short time for a degree, learned everything i need to know to be a mechanic
Cons
knew nothing going into school
A exciting place to start your career
Data Analyst / Application Developer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON17 January 2018
i have experienced a lot of varied learning experiences. a great place to improve your professional knowledge. The staff and management are very welcoming
Great place
IT SUPPORT (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 January 2018
Amazing place to work

The staffs, students, are all great to help out

It's also a friendly environment to learn and grow, since you are allowed to work on various tasks.
Pros
All good
Cons
Nothing bad
Great employer
INSTRUCTOR (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 November 2017
working for Algonquin college has been an extremely positive experience. I have learned a great deal of new communication skills and have kept up to date on Plumbing code.
Placement
CYC Placement Student (Former Employee) –  Ottawa East, ON14 November 2017
I did a placement in an elementary school as part of my program at Algonquin College and it was probably the most rewarding thing I could have gotten out of the schooling experience in my few years at the Gonq.