Play YouTube video button
Algaecal

Algaecal Employee Reviews

Canada16 reviews
My experience with AlgaeCal has been amazing, at the beginning I thought that working from home was going to be hard for communication but fortunately I have an amazing manager and she was amazing as a trainer and more awesome as a manager/lead. I talk with other team members very often, and every time everyone is incredibly nice and more than willing to help me and guide me even when they are busy with their own work. I took the role to train a new team member when she joined the company, my lead provided guidance but she mostly allowed me to do it on my own which for me it’s appreciated since it allowed me to have a little bit of understanding of what it means to lead someone else. I don’t have any complaints, it’s true that it gets pretty busy sometimes (talking about my department) but I’ve always received help when I need it, I really like that our own judgment and also learning from mistakes it’s encouraged, so far I’ve always received real feedback from my leads, I have health benefits and gifts on my birthday and holidays and I feel genuinely appreciated here so I think I don’t have anything to say in terms of improvements since for me, my remote experience, has been amazing I completely recommend working for this company.
Pros
Health benefits, gifts on birthday as well as holidays
Cons
No cons
The most hardworking teammates you will find, newest technology from Apple, weekly (health oriented) team lunches, and a very flexible health benefit after probation.

HR team goes out of their way to create inclusive events for everyone including remote workers.

Wins are celebrated across the company and you really feel a part of the family.
Poor, unprofessional management, who micromanages everyone and induces a toxic environment, pressure and paranoia. Comes from the CEO and COO, who control everything and make very harsh, immature decisions. They promote a 'great culture' but that is just a fake facade, based on business or self improvement books, to filter anybody who questions management or how things are ran

The product itself is great, get to use new MACs, a lovely cook who feeds everyone and you will meet some really nice people there but the management and the way the business is ran is atrocious. You are under paid, overworked and the expectations and demand are so high and unreasonable. The COO and management in operations are incredibly unprofessional, under-qualified, immature and endanger the future of people's careers at the company.

Unless you work in marketing then you won't be deemed as valuable, just another pawn in their money making, which they won't invest in you. My time there was hugely disappointing, demoralizing and I was fed lies along the way, and watched some talented people get walked all over.
Pros

Excellent teammates, HR team work tirelessly to help you, team lunches and birthday celebrations.

Cons

Management are very inexperienced. C-level executives micromanage everything and speak a lot about culture and values but never practice them, nor are they ever in the country. Favoritism, petty politics and over-all incompetent upper management preventing the company from growing. Any negative feedback results in people being fired.

Advice to Management

Treat staff as well as customers are treated. Pay staff Vancouver living wage.
EXTREMELY demanding and incompetent interview process that took over a month to complete. A true waste of time as the company is ALWAYS looking for new employees due to huge turn over rate. Pay in minimal and does not meet the standard for living wage in Vancouver.
Pros
Cons
huge turnover, demanding hours, ploys to keep employees from resigning
Interview process is long. Unprofessional management style. Most people are new, very few people have been there long term. Company’s values aren’t what they preach. They have lots of “good reviews” on here but lots of turnover. Free lunches, staff outings and everyone there is genuinely nice.
Joining the team a year back felt to me more than joining any company, it felt like I joined a family with a true passion to help sufferers of osteoporosis, hardworking, driven individuals, who also know how to have the best kind of FUN with a genuine interest in each other!

As such, a cultural fit is very important to AlgaeCal, and if you work very hard and smart, and if you have what it takes, you will thrive here.

The managerial team really spends great effort in knowing, understanding, and helping their employees improve on both personal and professional growth. Within a few months, I was promoted into the Accountant role working directly under the COO. We always work on something new every day.
Pros
Always something new everyday, career growth, team lunches, team trips, awesome teammates
Cons
Lots of work but it helps you grow
I started working at AlgaeCal about a year and a half ago and I am genuinely amazed at how much I've learned and grown in that time. There is a big emphasis on development, and each person’s unique skills and strengths are nurtured and supported.

The vibe is also very inclusive - we all get on so well and love spending time with each other, both in and outside the office. I can honestly say that I work with the kindest, most caring and fun group of people!
Pros
Development opportunities, conferences, courses, team trips, lunches, new tech, office dog
Cons
Lots of work to do - but we work really well together to get it done!
I feel very privileged to work at such a wonderful company.
Not only do you get to really impact peoples lives in a truly positive way, you also get to have great fun in the process!

There is a very nurturing environment at AlgaeCal. They are willing to invest large amounts of time, money and energy into their staff in order to help them grow. From leadership workshops, to intensive marketing programs, AlgaeCal is willing to invest its resources to further develop your skills, whilst also making you a more valuable asset to the team in the process!
Pros
Team lunches, team trips, great office location, competitive salary, all new computers/office equipment
Hello! I've been working with AlgaeCal for over two years now and it has been an amazing experience.

AlgaeCal is a company that runs at 150 miles an hour. The work environment is positive, and fun loving, yet challenging - constant improvement and growth are always on the horizon! You will never be bored!

Management are always guiding you to improve yourself and perform to the best of your ability. Their products actually work, so you can feel 100% confident and proud in what you do.

Basically, what you put in, is what you will get back with AlgaeCal. If you are the type of person who will go above and beyond, you will be rewarded.
Pros
- Positive working environment, Team lunches, Trips, growth & advancement opportunities
Cons
- can be a little too fast paced at times!
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Algaecal?
AlgaeCal is a supportive, high-energy group you genuinely love to work with.

I've worked in several offices and none can touch the feeling of camaraderie and fun you experience at AlgaeCal.

This is the ONE company that actually does practice "work hard, play hard", as evidenced by a never-ending list of things to accomplish, and then team trips to Osoyoos and/or Whistler and an annual trip to Cabo at the end of the year (Yes, Cabo in Mexico.)

AlgaeCal is dead-set on hiring the best people that fit with their culture, and for good reason. Everyone truly gets along with one another and it makes working there so much more enjoyable than your average employer.
Pros
Team lunches, annual team trips, increasing responsibility, casual dress code, up-to-date technology
Cons
Sometimes lots of meetings
I started at AlgaeCal just about 2 years ago in the customer care team as a Bone Health Consultant with little knowledge about the product and what it does. The more I learned the more passionate I became about helping people suffering with osteoporosis. I'm proud to represent a product that actually makes a difference.

About a year in I was promoted into the Social Media Specialist position and have found my groove here - AlgaeCal is definitely a place where you will learn (a lot!) and have plenty of opportunities.
Pros
Team lunches, wonderful coworkers, team bonding trips, room for growth, benefits for natural treatments
Cons
We're growing so there's a lot to do and this can mean extended hours, but it's also a great sign for things to come
The culture at AlgaeCal is amazing. The CEO and COO work so hard to keep the environment as a place where you can grow with the support that you need. And you can truly see the fruits of their hard work - every member of the team is caring and goes above and beyond!

I'm very happy to be working in AlgaeCal and it's fast-paced environment. There's always so much to do and you're constantly being learning new things and gaining valuable experience! Hard work is definitely noticed and valued and opportunities are endless.
Pros
Team Lunches few times a week, annual team trip, conferences paid by company, wonderful work environment, conveniently located office (near skytrain)
Cons
Fast-paced, constantly challenging environment - This isn't really a con if you are interested in growing!
I can truly say I enjoy working for AlgaeCal. It's a company that really cares. That company value applies to both their view of customers and employees. Every employee has room to grow as they hone their skill and specialty. The pace is fast but the rewards are great. The culture of the company is business in the front, party in the back. That's shown by the effort and quality of work everyone puts in during the day, along with the relaxing and enjoyable team events like, picnics, dinners, team lunch every Friday, annual fully paid destination trip and paid ongoing training. No two days are ever the same. Every employee's role contributes to the success of the company and is appreciated and valued. Team meetings showcase what everyone has been working on and is a regular opportunity for commendation.
Pros
Delicious team lunch every Friday, annual destination team trip, company paid ongoing training
Cons
Fast paced environment - only a con if you aren't interested in working hard
AlgaeCal provides a warm environment to work in, and this is fostered through every single employee. You will always feel supported and that you are a part of a team that works hard together to achieve personal and professional goals.

I'm happy to be working here where I feel valued, and where I get the chance to be a part of helping people live happier and healthier lives.

The CEO and COO truly dedicate their time to all those that they serve with their encouragement and understanding and are always finding ways to improve.
Pros
Team lunch, team trips, supportive team atmosphere, attend conferences out of town
Cons
There is always a lot of work to do, but you will always have help to get you through it.
What initially attracted me to AlgaeCal almost 4 years ago now was the quality of the products and the mission to help as many people as possible reclaim their bone health, naturally. Today, we not only continue to do that but we consistently go above and beyond industry standards to provide the best experience for our customers - simply because we care. The team culture, opportunity for learning and career advancement make it the best company I've ever worked for.
Pros
Organic Friday lunches, opportunity for advancement, courses and conferences to learn
Cons
Not corporate