Alexander College Employee Reviews

It is okay.
RECEPTIONIST (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC7 January 2019
You don't learn much working as a student worker. However, it provides steady income with minimum effort required while you study. Overall, I'd recommend
A Great Place to Work!
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC22 October 2018
I currently teach in the Social Sciences department, and I find Alexander college a great place to work! First of all, pay is equivalent to other BC universities, and you have lots of flexibility in what you want to teach and when you want to teach it. Some of the instructors here have taught at UBC and SFU. Human resources supervisor and staff are very pleasant and wonderful, and they always greet you with a smile. You can reach administration at their cell phone at any time, and they respond to emails immediately. I had owner respond to my email immediately even when he was out of the country! Owners are very respectful and kind towards all employees. Everyday you get free fresh coffee, and choice of tea; which other institution provides that? On most days they have a variety of free food; just this last weekend, there were faculty marking papers in Biology room, they had wraps, cookies and coffee! Students of this college are very respectful towards their instructors, and during break time many come and ask me if they can get me a drink from Tim Horton’s. Sometimes, I am tempted to say, “yes!” Some of them even bow down and touch your feet out of respect. It’s not easy being international student, you are travelling on buses and sky train most of the day and it takes time to adjust to a new culture. College provides free tutoring through writing centre to all students, and provides workshops in APA and MLS styles. There is always a librarian and library assistant present. Technology is wonderful, we get to use canvas and launch pad. There are many clubs at the college and  more... students even get to go to Whistler. I strongly recommend Alexander College to any future faculty or students. You will love it here. It is located next to Metro Mall (one of the largest malls in BC), and Vancouver campus is next to Canada place, sky train station, and Pacific Mall.  less
Pros
Free coffee, tea, and food!
Cons
None that come to my mind
welcoming staff and growing school
Staff (Current Employee) –  Vancouver/Burnaby13 October 2018
When I started here all of the staff were very welcoming and helpful. The Vancouver Campus is in a great location but it's a bit smaller compared to the Burnaby one.

I enjoy working here and alongside some great people. The student population seems to be growing and it would be great if there was more space for staff and students. Most students are international which can be both challenging and rewarding. I find that you have to be patient with them as many of them are new to Canada and need things explained.
Pros
people, free food, location
Cons
space, sometimes difficult students
Bad environment to work
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC9 October 2018
I worked here for a few months and would not recommend this place.
Too many students and lack of resources for faculty and students.

The classes are outdated and in bad shape, safety issues are ignored. Almost all of the students are international and are treated badly.

There are better colleges just around the block, with great facilities and ethics.
Pros
Free Food at times
Cons
Low Wages
Wild Zoo!
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC25 August 2018
I didn't enjoy working here. It was very disorganized and amateur. I understand that this is a small school, but the decisions they make are laughable. For example, who puts up a "wear deodorant" sign in the bathroom? The supervisors are very very incompetent. They would say one thing and then do the complete opposite.
The one good thing about this place is that you can goof off and nobody would care. The pay kinda sucks, but the amount of work you need to do, I guess it's a fair trade-off!
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
How much space do I have?
poor management, low pay
Instructor (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC19 July 2018
Was a part time instructor here for a year. Around 5k per course, one of the lowest in BC. Micromanagement with unreleastic expectations. Some support staff was nice while others are angry they have to put up with bad students. College is privately owned so money making is bottom line for owners. Classroom packed to full, 500 students and staff share one bathroom. Students are there to fulfill immigration requirements, no one is really there to learn.
Pros
Two campuses
Cons
Poor Management, low pay
Great institution
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC22 February 2018
Alexander College is a really good place to work - lost of support from middle and upper management (I'm lucky to be in a department with highly skilled mentors).

It can be frustrating dealing with some of the behavioral issues associated with this student population (low level of background knowledge regarding subject matter and academic integrity). However, with a healthy dose of patience, encouragement, and persistence, while maintaining high standards, it is possible to guide the students to the desired level by the end of the semester. (This goes without saying of course that not all of the students are up for the challenge and commitment that it takes to succeed)

Pay raise was great (I know not everyone feels this way). However, I believe a lot plays into these raises, such as experience, publications, education, student reviews, classroom observations, additional contributions to the college etc. and not everyone is aware of the accolades that each of their colleagues has. It would be nice if the pay scale system was transparent.

Owners of the college attend town hall meetings and treat instructors with respect and seem to really care about the success of the college on all levels; instructor satisfaction, student experience, bottom line.
Strange place with strange rules
Admin (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC25 January 2018
I am glad not to work there anymore! Some managers are great, but the two brothers who own the college, exploit the employees terribly! It's more like a bunch of teanagers running an event
Pros
Some colleagues and supervisors
Cons
Micromanagement, sloppy work ethics
Excellent college with many recent positive changes
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC25 January 2018
I've been working at Alexander College for approximately one year and my experience here is overwhelmingly positive. The administration truly cares about students and faculty success. They are receptive and positive towards new ideas and offer all kinds of support and professional development opportunities.
There are a lot of positive changes that have been taking place over the past few months, including excellent faculty raises and improved benefits.
Space can be an issue; The campus could benefit from more classrooms and instructor office space.
Some of the staff grumble and can be negative (see other reviews) but what workplace doesn't have a few negative coworkers. I personally find that the negative people that I have encountered generally complain about having to do work for their pay (gasp imagine that).
Pros
positive workplace, fun staff, caring administration, receptive to new ideas, lots of free lunches
Cons
limited office space
Unprofessional and lots of micromanagement
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC18 November 2017
I used to work at that college. Was a disaster. There's way too much micromanagement and abuse. Some departments are better than others. But overall it's bad.
Pros
Some colleagues and supervisors
Cons
Where shall I start??
Left a lot to be desired.
ESL Instructor (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC8 July 2017
I worked here. I had a one-term (four months) contract and ended up having to break the contract. Immediate supervisor was psychologically abusive. Very little support for classroom management even when it was requested. Most staff members (not all) were quite aloof and kept to themselves. After I gave notice all the nightmare stories came out, particularly about the administration. I wouldn't recommend applying for work here until they can figure themselves out.
Cons
Long classes, poor management
Could improve over time
Instructor of Academic English (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC23 May 2017
I worked here when it first opened. There was a lot of negative talk among faculty and staff. There were many turnovers during the brief time I worked here.
friendly
receptionist (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC4 March 2016
Alexander College provides the first two years of university for students still learning English. A warm and caring attitude is important, as many need reassurance and practical help.
Productive, Friendly atmosphere
Library Assistant (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC25 April 2014
Once the printer went out of work and I couldn't fix the problem. I had to call the IT guy but he could come the next business day. The students was very angry and she behaved very rudely. I was very disappointed. I was very nice and polite. I explained her that it's not my fault. She could have understood the situation but she was aggressively shouting at me. I really don't want to have this experience again. It shows immorality and indiscipline.