Alcanna Inc.

Alcanna Inc. Employee Reviews

Canada29 reviews
Fast paced work environment in a very dynamic industry. Directional strategies changed almost monthly and key projects were continually cancelled or put aside after significant time and investment.
According to general ethics, a return should have been made. After all, we put a lot of effort into the application.

They don't even sent a simple email.
It's a good place to work. Hourly pay could be better considering you have to be CIR certified to work there. The company has a great support system and amazing staff. I just wish that the location of my store wasn't in a bad part of town as we receive a lot of trouble from theft and whatnot. But overall, the job and tasks given are easy to follow and hard work.
They try to keep labor cost below 12% they have 2 or 3 people that are FT others get called in for 4 Hr shift 2 or 3 x/wk..not enough to live on sadly
After working there for 2 years I can safely say that the management teams at liquor depot are a joke.
There’s no room for growth, they actively search for outside hires rather than moving dedicated employees into hire positions.

The environment is fun and you learn tons, but other than the gained knowledge there really is no benefit to working with Alcanna.
Lots of work going into changing this companies self image, but unfortunately they are run by shareholders, and operate to keep shareholders happy, not their staff.
great people to work with. good, friendly environment. People are willing to listen to suggestions and open to constructive feedback. Good location in west end.
Poor communication from management.
Fear for job loss on a daily basis at all levels.

Expectations not set and then you’re penalized for not meeting them.
They are very unfair. You could be on your death bed and they want you to come in. And they don't care for your safety at all. If they did they wouldn't let a pregnant lady work alone when you have consistent thefts.
Great for a part time job. Easy to move up if the skills are present. Wages are minimum and don't grow largely. If you're willing to do the work, you are compensated for it.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Alcanna Inc.?
Great company to work for everyone is awesome. You learn fast and lots of knowledge to absorb. The managers and upper management are willing to help and help you move forward.
There are far too many better places to work rather than one that promotes alcohol and cannabis. If you want to feel disposable this is the place to come. Management has their little clicks of favoritism among employees which becomes very evident quickly. They listen to their favorites and they are made complete fools of by their favorites. In due time they may figure that out. They get rid of people at a drop of a hat and they don't have many long term employees. This alone is a red flag.
There are plenty more jobs around so run the other direction. Their department is like the blind leading the blind its very funny but not really. Its difficult to work with a team that does not seem to know what they are doing.
It was a mixed bag. After minimum wage went up it caused the issue to make cuts and it affected the bottom line the most. Stores pushed to only have 1 employee working at any given time and in a liquor store it can become a major safety concern. Not a job I'd recommend for people faint of heart, looking to avoid confrontation or unable to deal with situations of all kinds.
. I actually had another phone interview and 2 more face to face interviews and then I had to wait till October 26-29 for training. Then till the middle of November to start. I went to my first day all dressed and was told that there not moving on with the application so sketchy shady
flexible hours, always changing culture, opportunity to learn. Great job if you're looking to stay on you're toes and learn by fire. No worries about job security at all.
The only thing consistent about this waste of open market space is the amount of misleading they do with their employees. I've heard so many contradictory statements come out of the mouths of my superiors, it's enough to make one consider organizing a lock-out or strike. I've spent my time with this company on a skeleton crew, underpaid, over-worked and unappreciated. The store I happen to work at has been without a proper manager for 2 months and counting. No internal posting was made on the Alcanna's internal hiring website(known as "the Barrel") for the staff already loyal to this company, however a posting was made on Indeed which was removed before any announcement had been made regarding whether a candidate had been selected for the position in question.
Despite reaching out to the company's HR/Payroll department, attempts at communication have been met thus far with radio silence.

This company shows through its actions that it sees it's sales associates at interchangeable grunts, rather than as a long-term investment.

I would strongly recommend you don't consider applying to work for this company or its affiliates any longer than it takes to digest one of their pitiful offer letters.
It used to be a great company to work for, not anymore. Senior executives can’t align with company strategy, thus directions do shift dramatically and way too often. There’s zero appreciation for loyalty and almost no professional development or career advancement for employees regardless of their position and seniority. It’s all about pleasing shareholders to ensure shares don’t fall to the bottom.
Working at ALCANNA HQ is fun, engaging and often challenging (which in my books is a good thing). It's a very fast-paced environment and we are often changing direction but always working towards a common goal. Management is friendly and cares about its employees. Overall, employee satisfaction is high and turnover is low.
It's so sad because this company had all the makings to be a great company to work for.
How fun to learn about all the products and they talk about careers to celebrate!?

-i was constantly overworked.

-they refuse to hire or promote from within

-the pay is absolutely gross for the work
Pros
Discount, leatn about the product, cool things to volunteer with
Cons
Overworked, micromanaged, poor wages, no incentives, zero growth, poor training, unsafe environments
pays you salary but base is so low. after taxes it is minimum :(.

benefits are not the greatest.

unapproachable co workers

fast phased but you will be stocked on what you do
Pros
no pros
Culture is not consistent, I can see where the company wants to go and become better but it has a way to go.

Shoplifting is frustrating and there is not much you can do to stop it. The paperwork involved documenting it is just as frustrating as you are not enabled to prevent it and takes up a lot of unnecessary time.