Alcanna Inc.

Alcanna Inc. Employee Reviews

Just dont.

It was my first time working in the liquor industry, and apart from not enough hours, no real chance at advancement, no raises, no additional pay if they make you a key holder, no additional product knowledge training it was an alright gig.

Pros

Decent staff discount on liquor and cannabis

Cons

No training, part time only, no raises, no additonal pay for keyholders, no real chance at advancement, no benefits

can learn about the alcohol industry and its many products

do not recommend unless it just a stepping stone or your desperate for a job.Company all about the almighty dollar and kicks its long term people to the curb without hesitation

Pros

Cons

low pay for lots of work

Underpaid I'm very unhappy management

Over the last few years this place has changed so much. Most area managers have no idea what they're doing. They take a very long time to get back to you if you have a question or a problem. Definitely underpaid $15 is not enough some stuff for getting paid $16 an hour watching TV on their phone and barely doing anything. It's a good company if you're looking for a quick job until you find something better. You are not allowed to take tips or you will get fired you have to leave the tips in the till for the company

Pros

It's a job

Cons

Everybody is unhappy

Slow, Easy to do job

Terrible Company to work for. When I addressed issues with my district manager about my coworker, the issue was not addressed nor was any action taken. The store failed due to many reasons that were addressed and non of those reasons were fix or even mentioned going forward.

Pros

Good Benefits

Cons

Terrible hours, poorly managed, no positive feedback, no room for improvement in postion

Worst place I've ever worked

Well if your manager likes you it's fine but the hiring is all based on friends and relatives not on what you know.no raises ever told I have to work six days I have no choice.not even a thank you than after all the effort and extra hours put in hours are cut because manager has friend start working there .hire a manager that isn't even qualified for job .no chance for advancement .head office is a joke .Covid protocols are ignored and not taken seriously saw people sharing food not wearing masks properly not proper cleaning supplies no masks or gloves provided to staff.dont waste your time working for this company.

Pros

Discount

Cons

Everything else about job

Wished i had of never Appplied

Feel like your being constantly watched with either drive by to make sure your working or doing work related tasks, the mounds of paper work to sign, policies constantly changing alot of micromanagement, nepotism, favoritism, God forbid a person with any kind of disabilities attempt to work here, really two faced right to your face, extreme nit picking as well. Payroll takes forever to get you into their system to log in properly as well. Run don't walk from this company! Was given 25 plus hours when I first started and now I'm down to less than 16 hrs per week. AND.. they don't pay if you start 5 to 10 minutes before your shift to do cash or deposits or any kind of paper workWorst job I've ever had...

Pros

Minimal discount

Cons

Everything else!

Great job....no management

I love working for Nova....Value Buds.Lowest prices in Alberta has made us the number 1 Cannabis dispensary in Alberta.Unfortunately at my location it's a gong show. No leadership from store level management. Constant infighting between store managers...making our work place highly toxic and stressful. I like the direction the company is going.Time to weed out bad management and those who don't want to follow store policies.Customers make this job great. More direction and communication from H.O. for ALL employees is sorely needed. No training provided.

Pros

Great customers and co-workers.

Cons

Management slow to respond. Created a toxic work environment!

Over worked and under paid

Working 44 hour weeks with no benefits and or raises. A lot of physical labour for nothing in return. Most of the upper management is incompetent and don't care about their employees.

Pros

Cons

Long hours, No raises, Not appreciated, Overworked, No benefits

Lots of talk and no action

Was promised career advancement, was stonewalled. Was promised training, program was denied. Was put on salary with full benefits, after 2 years salary and paid vacation was revoked and benefits slashed, reason given was vague

Pros

Liquor discount

Cons

Kiss your holidays goodbye

Good job if you have nothing else that you are pursuing.

My biggest issue was the scheduling. As a student, I was hoping for 20 (maybe 25) hrs a week, but was getting 30-35. Was told that my school schedule would be considered in work scheduling, but only for the first few weeks it was. There also was no room to say no to the extra hours based on staff availability. Suddenly it became an almost full time gig while juggling uni; towards the end near my finals I had been scheduled 8 days in a row and it had an affect on my ability to study and my grade going into finals. Other than that, the dress code was manageable but unnecessary. The manager, coworkers and customers were decent, but I heard that I was being considered a supervisor and was being paid minimum wage for performing that role. Training was not thorough but I also accredit that to staff availability.Overall, would recommend if you are looking for an overall basic and easy job. Just don't have too high of expectations or long term goals and you will be content.

Pros

Working with weed is always fun. Coworkers and customers were decent.

Cons

Scheduling was rough. Actual training was pretty nonexistent.

Jobs at Alcanna Inc.

See more jobs

fun if you get the right manager

Work is always fun with the right leadership involved. Sadly, upper management often doesn't seem to take reports of poor management seriously and does not appear to adequately train managers, HR and corporate employees. I like the flexibility and that I can always meet someone new I get along with either through the customers or my coworkers.

Do not work here

The favouritism in this company is unreal. Expectations and consequences are based on who likes you. Rules are not followed by upper management that are set at store level. They are always moving their favorites to smaller cities for opportunities instead of hiring local. Slowly replacing management with “less expensive” workers... to put it nicely, who have no training or qualifications. Anything to save a dime. They expect you to line their pockets with money while offering minimal training or support. Quick to dismiss loyal workers over minor infractions. The compensation is not worth the work load.

Work hard for no reward

I put a lot of hard work into this company and was completely ignored. Head office is a mess, and will not appropriately respond to issues at the store level. The upper management would also prefer to hire friends with questionable qualifications for new positions rather than hire from a pool of loyal and qualified employees.

Pros

Weed Shop

Cons

Upper Management

Boring!

In this age, I’m surprised at how far removed from its employees, with regard to communication this company is. I was shocked at how ineffective and incapable the leadership I encountered came across.

Pros

Not much in the way of real work to do.

Cons

Not much in the way of real work to do.

Ok for a while

The company is constantly changing directions; new strategies, new priorities. This has caused various rounds of layoffs at different points. Made it hard to feel like there was any job security when you are worried you could be let go at anytime.If you are an executive/higher up, the pay is great. For everyone else, not so much. They start low and barely increase pay even with promotions and significant increases in workloads.Coworkers were wonderful to work with and hours can be flexible.

Pros

Discount, nice coworkers

Cons

Low pay, underappreciated employees

Overall Stressful and Negative Environment

Constant confusion from upper management and little to no support offered. Expected to work extra hours and not be compensated. Female staff often paid less than male counterparts. Nepotism being the leading factor in which staff are promoted. Company policies aren't followed by those in senior management roles.

Pros

Liquor and Cannabis Discount

Cons

Long hours, little room for growth, nepotism, sexism

Not appeciated

This company does not aporeciate their employees. They do very little pomotion from within. They make you feel like you are disposable. Their bottom line is much more important than their staff. The upper mangement is arrogant and condescending. Don't work here.

Pros

some fun co-workers

Cons

everything else

Manager and I didn’t get a long. The rest of the staff and management were great

Great product and lots to learn. So many different types of product and they all have their own quality. Training is important and you must get the selling ticket.

Pros

Discounts on product

Cons

Manager

Chaotic company to work for, low pay and very little support

3 CEOs in two and half years lead to an environment with very little consistent direction. Policy would shift drastically every 6-8 months and we would in general be reversing the policy from before. Manipulative tactics used to avoid paying bonuses and accrued overtime. Promises would be made and not followed amid rampant favouritism and a tendency for open promotions to go to someone who didn’t apply for it.

Pros

A fairly decent discount

Cons

Long hours, low pay, very little room for growth, no transparency, very much an old boys club

Never Again

Before November 2019, I used to love working for ALCANNA. My manager was amazing, the area manager was super helpful, and everyone that I worked with was amazing. Then something happened and there was a whole flip on how the company was ran. The new Area manager is micromanaging all of the LD and ACE locations, while putting all of the actual manager work on either a "senior supervisor" or the assistant manager. (If your store is lucky enough to have even an assistant, that is.)For a year and a half, we were told that we would be getting a raise, but we never saw that raise we were promised. Walking into a Liquor Depot now feels like Im walking into a crammed overstock room. Displays look awful. You can't even look out a window because its covered by beer displays. I feel bad for anyone who still works there, really. Quitting was the best choice I made.

Pros

There are no pros.

Cons

The entire company is a con.

Would NEVER recommend

I worked for Liquor Depot for years (and still barely made over minimum wage) It's in my personal experience, and opinion that this is one of the worst companies I've ever worked for. The management is awful, head office is a joke and the majority of the time, all of your co workers are miserable. You are underappreciated and underpaid, they claim to have benefits for full time staff, but they rarely allow you to work full time hours. They genuinely do NOT care about their employees and the turn over rate is EXTREMELY high. You're expected to eat, sleep, and breathe Liquor Depot. Forget about having a social life. Apparently "if its your day off, you are still on call". Know your worth, avoid this company like the plague.

Pros

Customers/Coworkers

Cons

Management, Pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Alcanna Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.1

1.7Job security/advancement

Compare Alcanna Inc. with

• Alcanna Inc.
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?