Alberta Precision Labs

Alberta Precision Labs Employee Reviews with Jobs

Canada13 reviews

Many opportunity for advancement

A typical day at work was with many blood test, many patients all the time, because in the moment I was working in APL there are not many labs in town, for that the concentration in that place was very important, I learned to work in team, great team and the management was excellent, workplace culture normal. The hardest part of the job was with kid because need more time and usually need help from another member of team. The most enjoyable part of the job was with the surgical patients in biopsies, this area was the part with more relationship with experience and knowledge.

Pros

great place to grow, good money, flexible if not full time

Cons

less hours per pay period, short breaks

Happy respectful workplace

Most days I go to work in a happy respectful workspace. Busy environment from 1030 to 1330 daily, but slow for appointments times in the morning time as well.

Insights into Alberta Precision Labs

Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Energizing work tasks
  • Time and location flexibility

Union, take the good with the bad.

Generally people are great to work with. They are well informed for their work. Being a union setting you get the full range of issues. Unfortunately insanity thrives.

Comparative pay good, job demands tough. Exhausting shift schedule, Management unaccommodating.

You can expect steady work in health care, but APL will wear you down over time until you become cranky and jaded. Management knows the workers' Union is weak and unsupporting so they take advantage of that fact. They overwork their employees and are unaccommodating to their needs. The employees retaliate by calling in sick and going on leaves of absence. This perpetuates the cycle of being overworked and understaffed. Management is clueless how to fix it when in reality it's quite simple -- better scheduling to promote a work/life balance.

Pros

Generous sick time for permanent employees. Decent health spending account. Teamwork environment.

Cons

Ridiculous shift scheduling, oppressive work environment, favouritism/nepotism by management, unsuitable machines in lab constantly break down, minimal recognition of hard work, unfair distribution of holidays, unionized - so no career advancement.

Great place to start your career as a MLT

APL gave me a lot of opportunity in my career as a MLT. It is face paced and workload is high, but if you thrive in that kind of environment then it is a great place to work. I was located at the DSC in Calgary.

Pros

Flex spending account is $2700 per year for full time employees

Always busy, work and life balance is lacking.

Not very ideal for work and life balance .It's difficult to get approval for vacation, especially during Summer time and also during Christmas holidays.

Pros

Paid vacations, good benefits.

Cons

Difficult parking, especially during days.

Changing Enviroment

Working in the lab is a great job, unfortunately between Covid and the government it has changed. Hopefully this will change for the positive and we will see a better healthcare system.

Purposeful work, enjoyable environment

Lots of variety in day to day work. Get to meet new people everyday and it’s a privilege to serve them and help them. Excellent coworkers and environment to work in.

Very relaxed atmosphere

The best company I have worked for in Canada. The working environment is awesome and everyone is treated with respect. Best place for a career advancement

Pros

Paid break

Always something new to learn. Great Staff!

Management is great. Fast paced and busy days go by very quickly. If you are not ok with blood though this is not the job for you. We have some of the best nurses and patients in the world!

Pros

loads of pot-luck lunches and treats!

Cons

Shift work

Challenging but Fun

Alberta precision labs is a challenging place to work but its fun and well rewarded. You are compensated well and have good benefits. work culture is good.

If you’re retired and have a pension it’s an ok job.

I was employed for 11 years at APL. I had not had a raise in 8.6 years when I left there. The management has all but abandoned any type of relationship with the courier department, and is seen rarely. Poor communication with staff, in 11 years I had 1 (one) job review.

Not the worst

The work environment can be very stressful. Patients can be rude and they are constantly watching how fast you work by calculation of productivity. Which I believe to be inaccurately assessed. However it is not all bad. Depending on if you hold a position or are casual there are perks like vacation and medical benefits etc.. As of right now it pays pretty well. However if it goes private they will be slashing the income which would make it very hard to pay bills. Overall it;s not the worst company to work for but I wouldn't say it's the best either. They don't treat casuals very well. No perks except for you controlling your days off. Staff are pretty nice and I would say it feels really good to help others :)

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Alberta Precision Labs. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement