Alberta Parks Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Fun job, good expeince, disheartning if you want meaningful work.
Parks Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Alberta1 May 2018
The reality of the job can be disheartening. It seems very lovely at first but your impact can feel underwhelming. Good experience but not a place for people who want to challenge the status quo. Do the job. Enjoy being outside. But if you go into it expecting to see huge shifts you will be disappointed. The organization is very stagnant.

Every region is different, however.
Pros
Outside! Hike for work.
Cons
Doesn't feel like you make a difference.
Beautiful park with great potential
Information Officer (Former Employee) –  Cypress Hills Interprovincial Park, AB28 April 2018
The Cypress Hills is an incredible park with great amenities like fishing, hiking, camping, and amazing history. However if falls short because of stubborn supervisors who refuse to do anything beyond recreation. The information in the visitor centre is incorrect and they have no interest in improving it. Attempts for career growth are quickly shot down and seasonal staff are disrespected regularly.
Pros
Beautiful area, Staff Accommodation is great!
Cons
Minimal opportunity for career advancement
The great outdoors
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Slave Lake, AB31 January 2017
We hiked all the time! it was a great workout! and being out in the sun all day even some days on the beach picking up trash and making it a better place was totally worth it! cleaning outhouses was not so fun but we did it at super speed so we could get back to hiking trails and getting them groomed for the many campers!
Pros
lunch on the beach
Alberta Parks Is an amazing place to work.
Maintenance worker (Former Employee) –  Cold Lake, AB21 December 2016
I really enjoyed by time working for Alberta Parks because of the people involved in Alberta Parks because they were very supportive.
Good In Office Culture
Information Officer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 October 2016
Well supported position with understanding and talented management. Much opportunity for growth and stability in a post boom Alberta. Co-Workers were generally lovely, there was lots of free food and the inter-connectivity of the office allowed for cross training in many call centre functions.
what I learned
Maintenance Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Cypress Hills14 September 2015
Was not told initially that I was expected to be on call everyday and had to work weekends. I was not given alot of information about the job duties or any support on how to complete duties. Much of what I done I had to figure out on my own. Was given alot of leeway on changes and was never questioned on my methods. Management was supportive of whatever I did.
Pros
never had a boss looking over my shoulder. they knew I did my job .
Cons
being on call everyday after work hours
An easy job with great co-workers.
Maintenance Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Pigeon Lake, AB8 September 2012
As an Alberta Parks employee, a typical day is spent ensuring the cleanliness of the campground. Alberta Parks employees check garbages, collect recycling, clean washrooms, pick up litter, mow grass, and cut weeds for everyone's enjoyment. I have learned how to make adjustments to my routine when a task comes unexpected to ensure my priority tasks are finished before the end of the day. My co-workers and supervisor help work as a team to make sure the campground is clean. The hardest part of the job is picking up dead fish off the beach. The most enjoyable part is working at a comfortable pace.
Pros
great pay, easy tasks
Cons
some tasks are hard to for the stomach to handle