Alberta Newsprint Company

Alberta Newsprint Company Employee Reviews

Canada7 reviews
12 hour shifts (6am-6pm,6pm-6am) Switching between days and nights every tour. A typical day is start at 6 but be there 5-10 minutes earlier, do shift trade with previous crew, look over production list and possible equipment to be loaded. Check emails to see if anything important has been sent out. Inspect equipment, get on clamp trucks (forklift with roll clamp) load trucks and rail cars as they or the rolls become available. The trucks arrive as they please and are not scheduled, there are also some empty trailers which have been dropped in the yard for preloading. You may have 4 trucks in a shift or 40 trucks. The management has not replaced staff as they have moved on in order to get a better balance sheet and likely bonus for themselves. The operators are mostly good to work with but management likes to micromanage and blow small issues out of proportion. Hardest part of the job is dealing with management and lack of staff on nights and weekends. Best part is regular days off and the holidays when you become a full time employee and most of the operators are good people.
Pros
Work/Life balance, know your schedule, regular days off/holidays
Cons
Micromanagement and lack of proper manpower
Learn how paper made and produced
Good management

Everyone works together

Family orientated company

Employee committee involvement

12Hr D & N shift schedule
Pros
Benefit package, work clothes provided, lunches on shutdowns
Used to be a great place to work until upper and middle management changed from Greenfield. Continually went down hill and now is just another place to work. There is nothing separating it from anywhere else, and the leadership is very poor top down. They are however quite progressive, and that does attest to the fact that they are self-preservationist, since it is no longer economical to make newsprint and they are still finding ways to make ends meet.
Pros
Clean work environment
Cons
Horrible leadership, especially in the maintenance departments
Normal day, come in early to relief other summer student. Told what is happening in the plant. Do equipment safety inspections. Co-workers were friendly and helpful to learn from. Learning and advancement was very limited as management would only give access to what I needed to learn and nothing else. (Being put on the paper machine and having a 4th Class power engineering ticket I was wanting to take initiative and learn the pulp side of things) Most enjoyable part of the job was the free meals every few weeks.
Pros
Free meal every few weeks
Cons
Poor management
I usually started my day at ANC by checking phone messages and email messages. Then I would start preparing my Daily Production Report which consisted of production information sent to me daily by Department Managers. Once finished I would photo copy and distribute and also email to managers. I would then open, sort and distribute mail. Prepare any outgoing courier packages and mail. Distribute any incoming courier packages. I would type any corrospondence, memos etc. that has been requested. I would check for any documentation, edit and prepare it for the monthly fincancial report that I prepared using Adobe. I help out where ever needed (AP, filing typing, etc.
There is limited room for advancement in the business unless there is internal preference. There is a limited amount of vision or seeing the vision through - which is dissapointing.
Pros
the group i was with.
Cons
long hours and salary is not compediative and no room to advance.
This company is by far the best company I have ever worked for, the keys to thier success would have to be the company culture, the hiring technique, willingness to invest in thier employees success and true commitment to team work. The pay and benefits are excellent and good work/life balance.

Don't take my word for it. The turnover rate is extremely low. I would be there today if I had not relocated back to the United States.
Pros
casual but productive work environment., great pay and benefits, 37.5 hour full time work week, fun and educational team building training
Cons
located outside the united states
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Alberta Newsprint Company. Our community is ready to answer.
2.8