Alberta Motor Association

Alberta Motor Association Employee Reviews

Canada83 reviews
Working at AMA, the people are fantastic to work with, however the pay is not worth the level of stress of the job. Higher up management is very uninvolved of day to day tasks to understand what is all done in front line staffing to ensure we are properly and competitively paid for the jobs we are required to do.
As a PM consultant my immediate customer in IT was excellent, very supportive and understanding of the processes, always wanted to make the right choices for the right reasons. However there is senior management that had their own agendas that did not match project stated goals. AMA was a difficult place to complete a project that did not get off track from the original stated goals and outcomes for the project.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Senior Management
Excellent staff , very helpful staff. You learn a lot here. It’s great place to work . Yes sometimes it’s hard to manage lessons and then have to make call for schedule new ones.
Pros
Workshop great
Cons
Yes sometimes have to work long hours
AMA slogan is ‘Treat you like family and friends’ only towards members. This doesn’t apply towards staff. Hard-work, dedication and loyalty gets one nowhere. It’s a matter of how much one is liked by management.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Micro-managed and lots of favouritism
A great company to work for. I enjoyed my 33 years there. Co-workers were very good. Shift work is involved but you can change with another member. Management was/is the best!
While I wasn't at this organization for very long, I found it - overall - to be a great place to work: reasonable pay and great benefits. Unfortunately certain strong personalities that weren't properly managed led me to decide to leave.
Benefits
Cons
Micro-management
Worked 11pm to 7am. Skeleton crew to handle all of northern AB and Yukon. Locate where a breakdown occurred, what type of assistance is needed, if it was a police call. What was and wasn't covered by their membership
Pros
small friendly crew at nights
Cons
No real family time
Used to be a great company but now they are scrambling to stay relevant. The senior management does not lead with open and honest communication and integrity. Favouritism and nepotism abound.
It was a great place to work but once the management changed it went downhill. We were not able to take our breaks because of the busy days, we were looked down on for calling in sick when we were not feeling well. Ok place to work depending on the department you are in.
This company used to be a great place to work where the employees where treated with respect and in turn where very loyal to the company. In the past many years the culture at the company has change to one where the employees are now just numbers to be moved around on a balance sheet. If they need to adjust the numbers and you happen to be the one they select they will try and create an environment where you will question your ability to do your job and quit. If you don't quit they will find a way to get rid of you without offering any help to meet there new expectations.
Pros
People
Cons
Current Management culture
I do love my jobs. But it is very cyclical with lots of ups and downs, sometimes semi-shift work, and very rare weekends off. Demand for our services have dropped significantly over the years, and automated systems are slowly taking over my job description. Combined with my want to start minimizing my driving distance and time, plus adding to my experience even as a mature worker, I feel I might need a change.

I have nothing but praise for the management and supervisors that have supported me over the years. We've had ups and downs, but compared to the average retail or other employers I've had, I cannot say anything bad about them.
Pros
Friendly, colaberative, trusted brand, work with public in postitve manner
Cons
Cycical work, multple worksites, travel, weekends off rare
The manager is the downfall of the Red Deer Travel Department. She does not abide by the company policy of treat your coworkers like family. She does not encourage an inclusive workplace and works to alienate and belittle people. She is extremely unprofessional and emotionally & verbally abuses her employees... classic bully behaviour. This office is destined to fail with her in charge.
Pros
Customers, coworkers, benefits
Cons
Nightmare manager
From the first interview, they said all the right things. And if you only had to deal with middle management and your operational coworkers, then you would do quite well. On a day to day basis, the people you work with are good and competent people. And in meetings with the upper management, you get the feeling that they are keeping you in the loop with corporate strategies and expectations. The motto is "treat you like family", both as customers and as employees.
However, when upper management makes a decision to reorganize everything, they treat you more like the black sheep of the family than the prodigal child. With no warning, I was "let go without cause" from a support position where there was literally no backup for.

And it appears to be based more on the needs of the bank account than the needs of the operation. They would likely buy square tires for all their vehicles if it cost them $1 cheaper.

Overall, it is best to be looking for contract work with them, because then you will know when to expect your job to end and be well prepared for it when it does.
Pros
Excellent coworkers and the work is satisfying.
Cons
No job security. Upper management is untrustworthy.
Can be a good place to work if company followed the"treat them like family and friends" mantra towards employees too. Dealing with public was great, being targeted by management not so great. Helping customers and having a human touch enriching, sessions with management regarding statistics ,sales targets , errors , and variable pay ( reward for collecting personal information.) punishing.

I enjoyed my years with AMA , co-workers and customers until I no longer was palatable to their image of a Registry agent. Direction to automated services reduces the personal touch and engagement with members
Pros
benefits and some employee discounts.
Cons
perfection will only be rewarded. no compassion to mental health and disability issues.
AMA does give the driving instructors lots of training and supplies the Students which allow you to book lessons at the Students & Instructors convenience.
The problem is there are too many Managers and Chief Instructors even when Student bookings are slow the Managers and Chief Instructors are not downsized. This has led to an organization being too top heavy. Most Instructors have not seen a rate increase for years and years yet the price of gas, repairs, etc have continued to rise. They have assigned many of their Managers to "Special projects" which does not mean anything, Just the way to keep them employed at their large salaries and benefits when it is the Driving Instructors who are on the front line and bring in the money!
Pros
Good Pay, The ability to set your own hours to teach.
Cons
Busy in the summer, Slow in the winter months.
Started as secretary.
Trained as Travel Consultant

Participated in Domestic and International Travel Consultant courses.

Opportunity to travel to many destinations.
I worked here for 2 - 3 years now and was pleased when i first started. The vacation is 3 weeks per year and it immediately usable, the benefits are very good and after 2 years you will receive a pension.

Insurance is not for everyone, the rates are constantly fluctuating, management does not give clear concise answer to rate increases or customer issue, lots of time on the phone and baby sitting certain clients.

Pays wells and the people are great to work with, (depends on the branch)
Pros
FlexCare, Benefits and Vacation immediately
Cons
Communication, Lots of Upgrading, Pressure to Sell
I truly enjoyed working at AMA. The training was excellent and my boss was terrific. AMA has great benefits. When my mother had a stroke and I had to leave the company to take care of her, my boss was very understanding.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Another employer who promotes the ones that are affectionate with management behinds and not the skilled ones. Poor training past initial training, you are told to learn on the job and not damage clients vehicles in the process.
Pros
Free lunches in cold weather
Cons
Bad management
never a day that is the same. increasing complexity. Less efficient. Top heavy. decision making at the top. lip service when it comes to culture. training is confusing.
I had the pleasure of working with the most amazing individuals at AMA. I am going to miss the people and my managers.
AMA gave me many opportunities to grow and i enjoyed all my roles and positions while working with AMA.
Benefits
Cons
Some projects could be very stressful
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Alberta Motor Association. Our community is ready to answer.