Alberta Motor Association

Alberta Motor Association Management reviews

Canada83 reviews
Working at AMA, the people are fantastic to work with, however the pay is not worth the level of stress of the job. Higher up management is very uninvolved of day to day tasks to understand what is all done in front line staffing to ensure we are properly and competitively paid for the jobs we are required to do.
The pay is good. Management is wonderful. The operator on the road are Heroes. It was the greatest job I've ever had. It was a very sad day when I was let go. I would recommend any job opportunity with AMA.
Pros
everything
AMA is great place to work. Office staff is excellent, very helpful. Management is very helpful in each and every way . I really enjoy working there. 😊
Executive direction is uncertain; lack of support to those who fall out of favour. Outside of the executive there are many very good people who care about the work they are doing, and are truly member-focused.
If you like having a soul this place is not for you. They will break you down so you have no life at all. Will fire you for any reason they can find.
Management was terrible. Did not feel supported by them when issues with customers or other staff members arose.

Salary was not enough to live on your own.
The staff are Great people to work with, enjoyed the job itself. Benefits were great, pay could have been better calculated. Management very poor to deal with.
The AMA has a rot within it caused by inept and punitive executive management. It suffers from a lack of vision and the egos of the executives who are running the company into the ground. Pet projects of the CEO are green lighted by a board that is hand selected by the President. Any reasonable feedback that is contrary to the official narrative is quickly shut down. The only people that advance are syncophabts who gobalong with the bad decisions or those that manage to navigate in spite of The toxicity.Run far and fast from this company. If hired, they have started paying less to scale and will demand more of you than is healthy.
Their brand is highly regarded.
Their insurance company and travel agency are solid businesses.

Their Driver Education business became more profitable and had a great quality delivery model through a highly effective leader for many years.

Their senior management was protocol driven. Micromanagement was a way of life so strategies moved slowly.
As a PM consultant my immediate customer in IT was excellent, very supportive and understanding of the processes, always wanted to make the right choices for the right reasons. However there is senior management that had their own agendas that did not match project stated goals. AMA was a difficult place to complete a project that did not get off track from the original stated goals and outcomes for the project.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Senior Management
AMA slogan is ‘Treat you like family and friends’ only towards members. This doesn’t apply towards staff. Hard-work, dedication and loyalty gets one nowhere. It’s a matter of how much one is liked by management.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Micro-managed and lots of favouritism
A great company to work for. I enjoyed my 33 years there. Co-workers were very good. Shift work is involved but you can change with another member. Management was/is the best!
While I wasn't at this organization for very long, I found it - overall - to be a great place to work: reasonable pay and great benefits. Unfortunately certain strong personalities that weren't properly managed led me to decide to leave.
Benefits
Cons
Micro-management
Used to be a great company but now they are scrambling to stay relevant. The senior management does not lead with open and honest communication and integrity. Favouritism and nepotism abound.
It was a great place to work but once the management changed it went downhill. We were not able to take our breaks because of the busy days, we were looked down on for calling in sick when we were not feeling well. Ok place to work depending on the department you are in.
This company used to be a great place to work where the employees where treated with respect and in turn where very loyal to the company. In the past many years the culture at the company has change to one where the employees are now just numbers to be moved around on a balance sheet. If they need to adjust the numbers and you happen to be the one they select they will try and create an environment where you will question your ability to do your job and quit. If you don't quit they will find a way to get rid of you without offering any help to meet there new expectations.
Pros
People
Cons
Current Management culture
I do love my jobs. But it is very cyclical with lots of ups and downs, sometimes semi-shift work, and very rare weekends off. Demand for our services have dropped significantly over the years, and automated systems are slowly taking over my job description. Combined with my want to start minimizing my driving distance and time, plus adding to my experience even as a mature worker, I feel I might need a change.

I have nothing but praise for the management and supervisors that have supported me over the years. We've had ups and downs, but compared to the average retail or other employers I've had, I cannot say anything bad about them.
Pros
Friendly, colaberative, trusted brand, work with public in postitve manner
Cons
Cycical work, multple worksites, travel, weekends off rare
The manager is the downfall of the Red Deer Travel Department. She does not abide by the company policy of treat your coworkers like family. She does not encourage an inclusive workplace and works to alienate and belittle people. She is extremely unprofessional and emotionally & verbally abuses her employees... classic bully behaviour. This office is destined to fail with her in charge.
Pros
Customers, coworkers, benefits
Cons
Nightmare manager
From the first interview, they said all the right things. And if you only had to deal with middle management and your operational coworkers, then you would do quite well. On a day to day basis, the people you work with are good and competent people. And in meetings with the upper management, you get the feeling that they are keeping you in the loop with corporate strategies and expectations. The motto is "treat you like family", both as customers and as employees.
However, when upper management makes a decision to reorganize everything, they treat you more like the black sheep of the family than the prodigal child. With no warning, I was "let go without cause" from a support position where there was literally no backup for.

And it appears to be based more on the needs of the bank account than the needs of the operation. They would likely buy square tires for all their vehicles if it cost them $1 cheaper.

Overall, it is best to be looking for contract work with them, because then you will know when to expect your job to end and be well prepared for it when it does.
Pros
Excellent coworkers and the work is satisfying.
Cons
No job security. Upper management is untrustworthy.
Can be a good place to work if company followed the"treat them like family and friends" mantra towards employees too. Dealing with public was great, being targeted by management not so great. Helping customers and having a human touch enriching, sessions with management regarding statistics ,sales targets , errors , and variable pay ( reward for collecting personal information.) punishing.

I enjoyed my years with AMA , co-workers and customers until I no longer was palatable to their image of a Registry agent. Direction to automated services reduces the personal touch and engagement with members
Pros
benefits and some employee discounts.
Cons
perfection will only be rewarded. no compassion to mental health and disability issues.
I worked here for 2 - 3 years now and was pleased when i first started. The vacation is 3 weeks per year and it immediately usable, the benefits are very good and after 2 years you will receive a pension.

Insurance is not for everyone, the rates are constantly fluctuating, management does not give clear concise answer to rate increases or customer issue, lots of time on the phone and baby sitting certain clients.

Pays wells and the people are great to work with, (depends on the branch)
Pros
FlexCare, Benefits and Vacation immediately
Cons
Communication, Lots of Upgrading, Pressure to Sell
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Alberta Motor Association. Our community is ready to answer.