Alberta Motor Association Management reviews

Okay place to work
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 May 2019
As a PM consultant my immediate customer in IT was excellent, very supportive and understanding of the processes, always wanted to make the right choices for the right reasons. However there is senior management that had their own agendas that did not match project stated goals. AMA was a difficult place to complete a project that did not get off track from the original stated goals and outcomes for the project.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Senior Management
Handling claims on daily basis
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 April 2019
AMA slogan is ‘Treat you like family and friends’ only towards members. This doesn’t apply towards staff. Hard-work, dedication and loyalty gets one nowhere. It’s a matter of how much one is liked by management.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Micro-managed and lots of favouritism
Service truck operator/supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 March 2019
A great company to work for. I enjoyed my 33 years there. Co-workers were very good. Shift work is involved but you can change with another member. Management was/is the best!
Short Time Engagement Only
FINANCIAL ANALYST, PAYROLL (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 March 2019
While I wasn't at this organization for very long, I found it - overall - to be a great place to work: reasonable pay and great benefits. Unfortunately certain strong personalities that weren't properly managed led me to decide to leave.
Benefits
Cons
Micro-management
Cutthroat environment
Communications Specialist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 November 2018
Used to be a great company but now they are scrambling to stay relevant. The senior management does not lead with open and honest communication and integrity. Favouritism and nepotism abound.
Ama
Registry Agent (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 October 2018
It was a great place to work but once the management changed it went downhill. We were not able to take our breaks because of the busy days, we were looked down on for calling in sick when we were not feeling well. Ok place to work depending on the department you are in.
Company was once a great place to work but management has made it a toxic place to work
Information Technology Employee (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 October 2018
This company used to be a great place to work where the employees where treated with respect and in turn where very loyal to the company. In the past many years the culture at the company has change to one where the employees are now just numbers to be moved around on a balance sheet. If they need to adjust the numbers and you happen to be the one they select they will try and create an environment where you will question your ability to do your job and quit. If you don't quit they will find a way to get rid of you without offering any help to meet there new expectations.
Pros
People
Cons
Current Management culture
Not willing to reveal (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 September 2018
I do love my jobs. But it is very cyclical with lots of ups and downs, sometimes semi-shift work, and very rare weekends off. Demand for our services have dropped significantly over the years, and automated systems are slowly taking over my job description. Combined with my want to start minimizing my driving distance and time, plus adding to my experience even as a mature worker, I feel I might need a change.

I have nothing but praise for the management and supervisors that have supported me over the years. We've had ups and downs, but compared to the average retail or other employers I've had, I cannot say anything bad about them.
Pros
Friendly, colaberative, trusted brand, work with public in postitve manner
Cons
Cycical work, multple worksites, travel, weekends off rare
Avoid Red Deer Travel at all costs.
Travel Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB21 September 2018
The manager is the downfall of the Red Deer Travel Department. She does not abide by the company policy of treat your coworkers like family. She does not encourage an inclusive workplace and works to alienate and belittle people. She is extremely unprofessional and emotionally & verbally abuses her employees... classic bully behaviour. This office is destined to fail with her in charge.
Pros
Customers, coworkers, benefits
Cons
Nightmare manager
They talk the talk in the IT department ...
Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 August 2018
From the first interview, they said all the right things. And if you only had to deal with middle management and your operational coworkers, then you would do quite well. On a day to day basis, the people you work with are good and competent people. And in meetings with the upper management, you get the feeling that they are keeping you in the loop with corporate strategies and expectations. The motto is "treat you like family", both as customers and as employees.
However, when upper management makes a decision to reorganize everything, they treat you more like the black sheep of the family than the prodigal child. With no warning, I was "let go without cause" from a support position where there was literally no backup for.
And it appears to be based more on the needs of the bank account than the needs of the operation. They would likely buy square tires for all their vehicles if it cost them $1 cheaper.
Overall, it is best to be looking for contract work with them, because then you will know when to expect your job to end and be well prepared for it when it does.
Pros
Excellent coworkers and the work is satisfying.
Cons
No job security. Upper management is untrustworthy.
Was good , to many layers of management.
Registy Agent (Former Employee) –  Alberta29 July 2018
Can be a good place to work if company followed the"treat them like family and friends" mantra towards employees too. Dealing with public was great, being targeted by management not so great. Helping customers and having a human touch enriching, sessions with management regarding statistics ,sales targets , errors , and variable pay ( reward for collecting personal information.) punishing.

I enjoyed my years with AMA , co-workers and customers until I no longer was palatable to their image of a Registry agent. Direction to automated services reduces the personal touch and engagement with members
Pros
benefits and some employee discounts.
Cons
perfection will only be rewarded. no compassion to mental health and disability issues.
Good Starting Point
Level 1 Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB30 March 2018
I worked here for 2 - 3 years now and was pleased when i first started. The vacation is 3 weeks per year and it immediately usable, the benefits are very good and after 2 years you will receive a pension.

Insurance is not for everyone, the rates are constantly fluctuating, management does not give clear concise answer to rate increases or customer issue, lots of time on the phone and baby sitting certain clients.

Pays wells and the people are great to work with, (depends on the branch)
Pros
FlexCare, Benefits and Vacation immediately
Cons
Communication, Lots of Upgrading, Pressure to Sell
Benefits & Pension are good
Service Vehicle Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 February 2018
Another employer who promotes the ones that are affectionate with management behinds and not the skilled ones. Poor training past initial training, you are told to learn on the job and not damage clients vehicles in the process.
Pros
Free lunches in cold weather
Cons
Bad management
complex organization
Human Resources Advisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 February 2018
never a day that is the same. increasing complexity. Less efficient. Top heavy. decision making at the top. lip service when it comes to culture. training is confusing.
Vital job, lots of abuse from those you're trying to help.
Tow-truck Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 January 2018
VERY stressful. A bit like Air Traffic Controller. Continuous high speed multitasking. Most co-workers have/had anxiety and dependancy problems Severe health problems. Many under treatment with pharmaceuticals.
Some of the best teamwork I've ever experienced. Some managers have even been in the trenches, so only a few are talking out of their ***.
Pros
Good benefits and pay, good training, lots to learn on the go.
Cons
Super stress
Awesome people , great Benefits and perks
service vehicle operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 November 2017
I worked as a service vehicle operator. awesome place to work made great life long friends . but they like to dismiss people without cause they pay you a severance and tell you to sign a non disclosure agreement so you cant wreck there so called perfect image the upper management ( director of automotive services ) is nothing but a bean counter and really doesn't care about you or what you have to say . The automotive services manager edmonton fleet is very inexperienced and has no idea what he is doing and will throw you under the bus to meet his numbers . They get rid of great people for no reason . All i can say is if you get a job here careful what you say and say it too cause if you have any great ideas they find a away to give ya the boot real fast . anything that makes sense they dont care what you think or what could work.
Pros
great benefits ok pay lots of overtime
Cons
take advantage of you. supervisors dont do anything management team is terrible
Horrible management techniques but a fun place to work
Advanced Registry Agent & Office Admin (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 October 2017
Horrible management techniques but a fun place to work as a starter job. I really enjoyed working with certain people there but the management was rude, pushy and very condescending.
Meetings, Meetings and then canceled meetings.
Employee (Former Employee) –  Alberta11 May 2017
No typical day, focus changes a lot.
Management seems just happy to be there.
No one really cared. No incentive to achieve.
Recognition basically non existent, lots of lip service.
Pros
Been around a long time.
Cons
Rudderless ship
TRAVEL SALES & SERVICE (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 March 2017
AMA is a very good place to work, they truly care for their employees. They do their best to train and keep motivation and morale high. Unfortunately the opportunity for advancement seem to be only available to a select few team members, they don't do as much to prepare many employees to advance.
Pros
Job Security, Benefits
Cons
Little advancement opportunity
Feels like a family enviroment.
Advanced Registry Agent (Current Employee) –  St. Albert, AB24 February 2017
Depending on the time of the month we can be very busy. Which makes the day go by fast. If we're not busy we are doing our daily tasks and getting everything we need to get done out of the way. For example checking our daily documents from the previous day and making sure there are no mistakes that need correcting. I've learned so much since starting here a little over 2 years ago. I have taken a number of tests and received the certifications required of me. All listed on my resume. Our management team we have here at the St. Albert branch are fantastic. Always there to help us out and are very easy to talk to when it's needed. They are very supportive and push us to do our best. Work place enviroment is very friendly. The hardest part of the job would be keeping up with policy and all the changes that comes with the job. The most enjoyable would have to be the people I work with and a lot of the customers that come through our doors. They know how to make us laugh and make the job worth it.
Benefits
Cons
Working on a salary base