Alberta Motor Association

Alberta Motor Association Employee Reviews

AMA at one time was a desired employer, unfortunately with the new management it has gone down hill fast. At one time if an individual worked hard and followed procedures you would be rewarded and had the opportunity for advancement. Unfortunately now the only way to advance within the fleet is if you are willing to drink the corporate kool-aid and wear a distinct shade of brown on your nose. Lots of contradiction from upper management on everything from policy and procedures to the hiring process for new management. They stress everyone has a shot at advancing and go as far as teaching you how to write a resume in order to apply, yet groom those within their click for the position no matter if they have experience or not. Experience or seniority means absolutely nothing anymore and heaven forbid you question them on these points as you will be put under a microscope and eventually terminated "just cause" for any reason whatsoever and make it all legal with the help of their high paid lawyers.
Pros
Free car washes, days off
Cons
Horrible upper management
Ama is the worst place to work. They don’t train properly they don’t pay enough and then when they let me go siting “going in a different direction” they didn’t pay me all my wages they took money for benefits that I’m not allowed to use....horrible work environment ...management likes to speak through other employees that aren’t entitled to speak for them. It was a horrible experience from beginning to end..they kept telling me this isn’t the AMA way..and that they TYLF treat you like family and I wasn’t treated like family once. DO NOT WORK HERE.
Pros
There are none
Cons
Everything about the company is a con.
pay not equal to responsibility or knowledge, stressful without appropriate support or proper training. front line workers are not respected or valued
They are set in their ways and they are not open to new ideas on how to run the businesses. They accept cheques still yet no etransfer for crying out loud! Haha! They do more for their members than for their employees for support. Yet the retention for members is dwindling. I can't see them being around forever, maybe RSA. They treat employees like numbers. Members treat employees like they own them, and management allows it. It was too bad because I thought they were my dream employer until I got inside.
Pros
Little perks for employees like a lunch
Cons
Work life balance, in the end they don't care if it doesn't suit their needs.
coworkers are nice, manager ok too, upper management offers lower pay than average with ever increasing demands. little vacation and personal time. very micro managed
Pros
not applicable
Cons
not applicable
I loved to work at AMA, interesting job , the company embrace changes and use new technologies, always new things to learn, great offices with lunch rooms, super benefits and pension plan, flexible time as soon as you meet the goals and deadlines ( easy to coordinate with manager if you need to pick kids from school or have doctor appointment), friendly coworkers. Salary little bit less , but compensated by benefits and friendly like family working environment.
Pros
friendly, family working environment. Super benefits.
Cons
Salary
Enjoyed working but found it was getting difficult as two departments merged. Was nice as supervisor insisted you take your breaks. Very productive and satisfying work. Staff had great work ethics...meaning it was fun, but work got done properly!
Pros
Plenty of training
Cons
No overtime
The pay is good. Management is wonderful. The operator on the road are Heroes. It was the greatest job I've ever had. It was a very sad day when I was let go. I would recommend any job opportunity with AMA.
Pros
everything
Helpful Mangers who encourage a team environment. Lots of Employee Benefits. Commission is not the greatest structure as you need to achieve 40,000 to even start being eligible for commission... even when you get over $40,000, you only get 1% of that until you hit the next target which is $50,000. Would work here again, I loved this job!
Working at AMA, the people are fantastic to work with, however the pay is not worth the level of stress of the job. Higher up management is very uninvolved of day to day tasks to understand what is all done in front line staffing to ensure we are properly and competitively paid for the jobs we are required to do.
AMA is great place to work. Office staff is excellent, very helpful. Management is very helpful in each and every way . I really enjoy working there. 😊
Executive direction is uncertain; lack of support to those who fall out of favour. Outside of the executive there are many very good people who care about the work they are doing, and are truly member-focused.
It was very nice working at AMA. It was a professional work culture which was collaborative and helpful. It was fast paced though without much stress.
The company itself is a great place to work. Salary didnt change with the economy. Drivers get treated like royalty but inside staff are at the bottom of the totem pole. If your looking to be a driver, reccomend. If your looking at inside staff, there are probably better options out there.
If you like having a soul this place is not for you. They will break you down so you have no life at all. Will fire you for any reason they can find.
The people make it easy to come to work everyday. I met great people while working there. Benefits were great and I learnt a lot. The atmosphere and people made the company great. The training especially if you have no prior experience. I took so much knowledge from that place.
Management was terrible. Did not feel supported by them when issues with customers or other staff members arose. Salary was not enough to live on your own.
The staff are Great people to work with, enjoyed the job itself. Benefits were great, pay could have been better calculated. Management very poor to deal with.
it didnt pay i voluntereed to be an AMA patroller so it was good but the jop doesnt pay and it was school program so averyone had a choce to volunteer
I have learned so much about where to travel in the world. I enjoy selling travel insurance so that members have peace of mind when they travel. I enjoy working with my co-workers. It can be a very fast paced environment, selling insurance, taking photos, selling IDPS, answering the phone, making appointments for travel counsellors. We do Potlucks for every season and many other fun things during the year.
The AMA has a rot within it caused by inept and punitive executive management. It suffers from a lack of vision and the egos of the executives who are running the company into the ground. Pet projects of the CEO are green lighted by a board that is hand selected by the President. Any reasonable feedback that is contrary to the official narrative is quickly shut down. The only people that advance are syncophabts who gobalong with the bad decisions or those that manage to navigate in spite of The toxicity.Run far and fast from this company. If hired, they have started paying less to scale and will demand more of you than is healthy.