Alberta Motor Association Employee Reviews

Cutthroat environment
Communications Specialist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 November 2018
Used to be a great company but now they are scrambling to stay relevant. The senior management does not lead with open and honest communication and integrity. Favouritism and nepotism abound.
Ama
Registry Agent (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 October 2018
It was a great place to work but once the management changed it went downhill. We were not able to take our breaks because of the busy days, we were looked down on for calling in sick when we were not feeling well. Ok place to work depending on the department you are in.
Company was once a great place to work but management has made it a toxic place to work
Information Technology Employee (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 October 2018
This company used to be a great place to work where the employees where treated with respect and in turn where very loyal to the company. In the past many years the culture at the company has change to one where the employees are now just numbers to be moved around on a balance sheet. If they need to adjust the numbers and you happen to be the one they select they will try and create an environment where you will question your ability to do your job and quit. If you don't quit they will find a way to get rid of you without offering any help to meet there new expectations.
Pros
People
Cons
Current Management culture
Not willing to reveal (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 September 2018
I do love my jobs. But it is very cyclical with lots of ups and downs, sometimes semi-shift work, and very rare weekends off. Demand for our services have dropped significantly over the years, and automated systems are slowly taking over my job description. Combined with my want to start minimizing my driving distance and time, plus adding to my experience even as a mature worker, I feel I might need a change.

I have nothing but praise for the management and supervisors that have supported me over the years. We've had ups and downs, but compared to the average retail or other employers I've had, I cannot say anything bad about them.
Pros
Friendly, colaberative, trusted brand, work with public in postitve manner
Cons
Cycical work, multple worksites, travel, weekends off rare
Avoid Red Deer Travel at all costs.
Travel Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB21 September 2018
The manager is the downfall of the Red Deer Travel Department. She does not abide by the company policy of treat your coworkers like family. She does not encourage an inclusive workplace and works to alienate and belittle people. She is extremely unprofessional and emotionally & verbally abuses her employees... classic bully behaviour. This office is destined to fail with her in charge.
Pros
Customers, coworkers, benefits
Cons
Nightmare manager
They talk the talk in the IT department ...
Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 August 2018
From the first interview, they said all the right things. And if you only had to deal with middle management and your operational coworkers, then you would do quite well. On a day to day basis, the people you work with are good and competent people. And in meetings with the upper management, you get the feeling that they are keeping you in the loop with corporate strategies and expectations. The motto is "treat you like family", both as customers and as employees.
However, when upper management makes a decision to reorganize everything, they treat you more like the black sheep of the family than the prodigal child. With no warning, I was "let go without cause" from a support position where there was literally no backup for.
And it appears to be based more on the needs of the bank account than the needs of the operation. They would likely buy square tires for all their vehicles if it cost them $1 cheaper.
Overall, it is best to be looking for contract work with them, because then you will know when to expect your job to end and be well prepared for it when it does.
Pros
Excellent coworkers and the work is satisfying.
Cons
No job security. Upper management is untrustworthy.
Was good , to many layers of management.
Registy Agent (Former Employee) –  Alberta29 July 2018
Can be a good place to work if company followed the"treat them like family and friends" mantra towards employees too. Dealing with public was great, being targeted by management not so great. Helping customers and having a human touch enriching, sessions with management regarding statistics ,sales targets , errors , and variable pay ( reward for collecting personal information.) punishing.

I enjoyed my years with AMA , co-workers and customers until I no longer was palatable to their image of a Registry agent. Direction to automated services reduces the personal touch and engagement with members
Pros
benefits and some employee discounts.
Cons
perfection will only be rewarded. no compassion to mental health and disability issues.
Driving Instructor Contractor gives more flexibility in doing the job.
Driving Instructor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 June 2018
AMA does give the driving instructors lots of training and supplies the Students which allow you to book lessons at the Students & Instructors convenience.
The problem is there are too many Managers and Chief Instructors even when Student bookings are slow the Managers and Chief Instructors are not downsized. This has led to an organization being too top heavy. Most Instructors have not seen a rate increase for years and years yet the price of gas, repairs, etc have continued to rise. They have assigned many of their Managers to "Special projects" which does not mean anything, Just the way to keep them employed at their large salaries and benefits when it is the Driving Instructors who are on the front line and bring in the money!
Pros
Good Pay, The ability to set your own hours to teach.
Cons
Busy in the summer, Slow in the winter months.
Rewarding Career
Manager's Secretary/Travel Consultant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 April 2018
Started as secretary.
Trained as Travel Consultant
Participated in Domestic and International Travel Consultant courses.
Opportunity to travel to many destinations.
Good Starting Point
Level 1 Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB30 March 2018
I worked here for 2 - 3 years now and was pleased when i first started. The vacation is 3 weeks per year and it immediately usable, the benefits are very good and after 2 years you will receive a pension.

Insurance is not for everyone, the rates are constantly fluctuating, management does not give clear concise answer to rate increases or customer issue, lots of time on the phone and baby sitting certain clients.

Pays wells and the people are great to work with, (depends on the branch)
Pros
FlexCare, Benefits and Vacation immediately
Cons
Communication, Lots of Upgrading, Pressure to Sell

Want to know more about Alberta Motor Association?

Ask a question
Work Experience at AMA
Roadside Assistance Representative (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB5 March 2018
I truly enjoyed working at AMA. The training was excellent and my boss was terrific. AMA has great benefits. When my mother had a stroke and I had to leave the company to take care of her, my boss was very understanding.
Pros
Great benefits
Benefits & Pension are good
Service Vehicle Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 February 2018
Another employer who promotes the ones that are affectionate with management behinds and not the skilled ones. Poor training past initial training, you are told to learn on the job and not damage clients vehicles in the process.
Pros
Free lunches in cold weather
Cons
Bad management
complex organization
Human Resources Advisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 February 2018
never a day that is the same. increasing complexity. Less efficient. Top heavy. decision making at the top. lip service when it comes to culture. training is confusing.
The AMA Culture is fantastic
Learning Resource Consultant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 January 2018
I had the pleasure of working with the most amazing individuals at AMA. I am going to miss the people and my managers.
AMA gave me many opportunities to grow and i enjoyed all my roles and positions while working with AMA.
Benefits
Cons
Some projects could be very stressful
Vital job, lots of abuse from those you're trying to help.
Tow-truck Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 January 2018
VERY stressful. A bit like Air Traffic Controller. Continuous high speed multitasking. Most co-workers have/had anxiety and dependancy problems Severe health problems. Many under treatment with pharmaceuticals.
Some of the best teamwork I've ever experienced. Some managers have even been in the trenches, so only a few are talking out of their ***.
Pros
Good benefits and pay, good training, lots to learn on the go.
Cons
Super stress
A great starting point
Front Desk Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB22 December 2017
This was my first step into an administrative and reception position.
I learned and honed office basics and continued excellent customer service.
The culture at AMA was treat you like friends and family. The co workers were like family and made for an enjoyable atmosphere.
Each day was different and gave me the ability to learn to multi task and change direction in a moment's notice.
It could be difficult at times changing directions when I wasn't sure what was expected.
The people are truly what made my job enjoyable and I will miss them.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
no advancement
Killer benefits, friendly staff and locations are everywhere in the Alberta province.
General Agent (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 December 2017
Killer benefits. There is Room for improvement. In Registry department is always challenging. They patiently train workers for at least 1 year. They make sure their workers are educated about AMA cultures.
Awesome people , great Benefits and perks
service vehicle operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 November 2017
I worked as a service vehicle operator. awesome place to work made great life long friends . but they like to dismiss people without cause they pay you a severance and tell you to sign a non disclosure agreement so you cant wreck there so called perfect image the upper management ( director of automotive services ) is nothing but a bean counter and really doesn't care about you or what you have to say . The automotive services manager edmonton fleet is very inexperienced and has no idea what he is doing and will throw you under the bus to meet his numbers . They get rid of great people for no reason . All i can say is if you get a job here careful what you say and say it too cause if you have any great ideas they find a away to give ya the boot real fast . anything that makes sense they dont care what you think or what could work.
Pros
great benefits ok pay lots of overtime
Cons
take advantage of you. supervisors dont do anything management team is terrible
Great Company
Sales Coordinator, Fleet Safety Services (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 November 2017
Great company to work for with great culture and benefits for their employees. Work environment was very pleasant. Room for advancement is the only drawback.
Focuses on work/life balance...
Executive Assistant Gov't & Stakeholder Relations (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 October 2017
I appreciate the ability to take care of my family commitments, with the understanding that work priorities do come first...My Manager is awesome and I am very lucky to work with him...
Pros
Great work/life balance...
Cons
Communication needs to improve (top - down)...