Alberta Health Services Employee Reviews

Fast-paced work with lots of interaction with people
Worker (Former Employee) –  Bow Island, AB11 January 2018
Working at Alberta Health Services was, from my 3-year experience, highly enjoyable. The job involved a lot of interaction with patients and their relatives, and my shifts were very time-sensitive; you have to be at certain places by the minute. The hardest part of the job was staying on schedule, but eventually you find a rythym and the job becomes significantly easier. The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with others, as well as the ease at which you can complete tasks once you're used to them.
Pros
The fast pace of the work keeps away boredom
Cons
Physically demanding work
Will be reviewed later
Informatics Consultant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 January 2018
The review will be added at a later date when the information has been gone through thru. At that time all required fields will be completed as requested
Nice place to work
Switchboard Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 January 2018
Good salary and benefits. Great one on one training provided.
Part time employees have the ability to pick up many addtional shifts.
Great shift differential incentives
The job has been rewarding and challenging
NUTRITIONAL MANAGER ASSISTANT/COOK 1 (Current Employee) –  Mannville, AB9 January 2018
This position that I have held for 18 plus years has been rewarding and challenging. However, I feel it is time for a change and for that reason I have furthered my education in Office Administration.
I am now seeking another rewarding and challenging position.
Productive, enjoyable
Secretary 1 (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 January 2018
I was hired as a temp. Every 6 months, they kept renewing my contract (as the person I was taking over was on sick leave). After the 3rd turn around, I realized I wasn't going to be a full time, and I need the job security.
Pros
Learnt alot after graduating College
Cons
no advancement
Great employees
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 January 2018
I didnt work much with AHS i just worked with a small group of doctors and nurses, they were always willing to provide necessary information, and they were always willing to teach.
Pros
own hours
Cons
slow computer systems
great place to work at
Clinical associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 January 2018
As a clinical assistant on a supervised Practice Register in Medical and Radiation Oncology department in TBCC/ FMC. I was able to assess patient including admitting patients from ER or clinic, order and interpret investigations, perform procedures, formulate a management plan, manage and discharge patients under supervision.
Productive, hard working and rewarding career
Health Care Aide (Current Employee) –  Westlock, AB1 January 2018
As a health care aide working for Alberta Health Services it is a fast paced career with many rewards. I enjoy helping individuals and ensuring they receive the best care possible.
Good work place
Case Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Alberta29 December 2017
Management and staff were helpful and conducive to a good workplace environment. I felt that my opinion mattered and was taken into account during any meetings.
Fun place to work at.
Assistant Cook (Former Employee) –  Wetaskiwin, AB29 December 2017
very productive day. Learned what goes on in the kitchen for preparing food for the health care. Management are very easy to work with and always there to help.
Pros
Cons
long hours and hard work
Productive working environment with manageable schedules.
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 December 2017
Schedules are based on personal free time. Job provides training and active presentations to further skills in the given position. There is always room to improve skills in this environment.
Pros
Training
Alberta Health Services
Administrative Support (Current Employee) –  Lac La Biche, AB24 December 2017
I work as an administrative assistant. There is room for growth within AHS. They offer great benefits if you work a .40 FTE or higher, with blue cross benefits and additional flex spending credits. AHS encourages professional and personal growth, offering bursaries if you take education related to health care. A typical day at work includes registering upwards of 100 patients for emergency, lab, x ray, physio, OR or other departments.
Fun, Fast pace environment is needed
Grande Prairie-Health Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB13 December 2017
A typical day at work involves fun,upbeat team of people who constantly work together.
I constantly learn new things while working however i have learned that the most important thing about this job is how much you care about your clients or residents.
I enjoy the amount of cultural diversity between staff and clients or residents and getting to learn about it.
The hardest part of my job is making a connection with people and not being able to become attached
The most enjoyable part if my job is knowing no matter what i do for my clients it makes them happy, and sometimes makes them feel like a person again. The best thing is their satisfaction with me.
Excellent
Registered Nurse, BScN (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 December 2017
Unit 44 trauma surgery is amazing. Fun and interesting staff. Great teamwork environment, excellent facility and physicians. I miss it. New facility and excellent resources and educational opportunities for advancement.
Pros
Pay, flexibility, great management
Benefits
Great people to work along side.
MAINTENANCE WORKER III (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 December 2017
A typical day starts at 8:00 am and in a hospital work environment you day to day constantly changes E.g. One day you could be changing filters in air handling units and the next day you could be fixing and cleaning induction units in rooms.

I personally learned a number of things working within AHS such as;

Monitoring fire dampers to make sure when they were tested that they closed and opened properly.

How to troubleshoot and identify minor issues with AHU (air handling units)
Pros
The people I have had the pleasure of working with
Cons
Long wait for FTE (full time employment)
Perfect place to work
Registered Physiotherapist (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB8 December 2017
Excellent work culture.
Motivating and helping colleagues.
Support for education and training.
Leaves on pre approval.
Best salary in the area.
Job stability.
Okay
Data entry and filing (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 December 2017
I started after graduated from collage and the manager were very good, she treated me and other graduated students as equal as the other workers who were there for years. We were worked as data entry but it was more than just that. The hours where very flexible. the work environment was very friendly.
Good people, meaningful work.
Privacy Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB7 December 2017
Good people to work with the work was public service and meaningful. There were substantial challenges due to the massive changes and expected growing pains of creating a province wide company with 120,000+ employees.
Managment was not able to assist with interpersonal issues when requested
RN (Former Employee) –  Claresholm, AB29 November 2017
I loved the job and working with nearly all of my coworkers. When I had exhausted my skills in resolving some issues with a colleague I requested the aid of Management. This was not as effective as I had hoped.
Pros
Health care benifits for family
Cons
Costic work environment on one unit only
To be a nurse can be hard but can also be very rewarding at the same time.
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 November 2017
A typical day at work can be busy. Lots of vital signs, medication administrations, dressing changes, bedside care, ceiling lifts, caring for orthopedic patients post op, caring for confused patient post op fracture, IV starts, Catheter inserts/removal, etc. In between the chaos, you really learn to work with your time management and organization skills (and sometimes called as "organized chaos")

Workplace culture is pretty good and is dependent on every unit to be honest. Healthcare staffs are fun to work with. Most staff I have worked with demonstrate teamwork and professional. Jobs can get stressful, but at the end of the day, I am grateful for having such a wonderful team--- my work family.

Hardest Part is being affected mentally and emotionally with patient you have gotten to know and patient having a negative outcome.

Most enjoyable part of the job is being a nurse, caring for patients, and working with your team
Pros
Wage increase based on hours worked. Benefits, Sick hours assigned to you, Supportive Management, Teamwork and Professionalism
Cons
Long Hours, Short Staffed most of the times, Challenging assignments, Can affect you emotionally and mentally.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Alberta Health Services. Our community is ready to answer.