Alberta Health Services Employee Reviews

Productive and fun workplace!
RN Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 April 2018
Ensuring staff are competent in performing duties and responsibilities by providing trainings and education sessions to grow and develop.
It is the best place to be!
Rural Nursing
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 April 2018
Best experience and best job opportunities within AHS are in rural settings, highly recommend new nurses to get experience in these settings. Wish there were more incentives like cheap parking or even available staff parking for big city center hospitals for people that want to commute the distance to work in the bigger centers.
Cons
Very Competitive for Job Application
Terrible management
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 April 2018
Management is incompetent and the leadership structure is committed to protecting managers rather than responding to employee concerns. This leadership culture is widespread within the organization- my specific experience was indicative of systemic issues.

The job sounded great on paper but the management was unwilling to relinquish even a little bit of control, so what was supposed to be a meaningful, dynamic role ended up being anything but. Not only was critical thinking discouraged, it was explicitly labelled insubordinate.

If you’re a change maker, either know that you’re going to be miserable as you try to implement even incremental improvement, or find another place to bring your skills where they might actually be valued.

Great salary and benefits, but not enough to outweigh the effects on my personal wellbeing.
Pros
Salary, benefits
Cons
Awful management, no support for staff
We are there to help
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 April 2018
My review is the same as that for Child and Adolescent Services. I thoroughly enjoy my position and being helpful wherever and whenever possible. Assisting clients is the main focus and I enjoy dealing with them.
Pros
assisting the clients who really want our help
Cons
staff who cannot work alongside each other without stepping on toes.
Great first time nursing job
Rn (Former Employee) –  Edmonton alberta5 April 2018
It was an average place to work. My biggest criticism would be management and two-faced co-workers. Benefits were the time off and flexibility of hours, the healthcare plan, the level of care provided to the patients and their families, the enforcement of procedures and protocols and guidelines. This place made me become an excellent or nurse with a really strong Foundation. it provided me with unlimited opportunities and unique
Alberta Health Services
Unit Clerk (Current Employee) –  Tofield, AB4 April 2018
They are a great company to work for, they take care of the employees and provide feedback and training where it is needed. I like working for Alberta Health Services.
Busy, challenging but great workplace
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 April 2018
Worked on the project management side of the rollout out of the eClinician project. Was responsible to assist in the delivery and implementation from initiation, through construction and turnover stages.
Okay to work for
Laundry II Worker/Working Leader (Current Employee) –  Smoky Lake, AB28 March 2018
I find AHS to be an okay company. The supervisors do not care about their staff though. They only care about getting their bonuses. They cause arguments between their staff and cause drama. They constantly cut hours and staff even though they are needed to get everything completed. AHS staff are over worked and under paid.
Overall experience
Provincial Transfusion Safety Officer (Former Employee) –  Calgary Alberta Canada28 March 2018
Smart people in a collaborative work environment- lots of opportunity for training and advancement........................................................
Pros
Great clinical colleagues and some very smart leaders
Cons
Large organization with a lot of spans and layers
Challenging
Provincial Manager, Project Implementation (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 March 2018
Great for front line health professionals, difficult for others. Very large organization that is till trying to understand its role in the province of AB.
good salary
environmental II (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 March 2018
giving an employee a good salary and benefits. fast paced environment.. working with different kind of people... cleaning disinfect follow hospital standard
Good salary and benefits but...
Medical Laboratory Technologist (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB24 March 2018
Overall, good place to work. Good wage and benefits package. Good union (HSAA). Downside is that AHS is so huge, getting anything completed can take forever. Sometimes cannot get rid of bad employees due to union protection. Too many superfluous positions. High quality instrumentation and many opportunities for learning free of charge.

The best: wage and instruments
The worst: omnibus nature and inefficiency.
Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 March 2018
Team work with health care provider. Everyone doing job well done for the cantered of the patients and family. Policy has been exercised by individual. Respect with everyone with culture and diversity. Seniority in obtaining job position or line has been observed. Caring for individuals safety, protection and privacy. Benefits are excellent.
Benefits
Cons
Short staff
Awesome company to work for
Records Management Clerk (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB20 March 2018
I loved working for Alberta health services, great benefits, caring coworkers, management is great. all round healthy atmosphere to work in. typical day start in the morning checking and sending emails, filing and pulling files. At times taking notes in meetings and the odd travel day to the city for conferences.
Pros
good hours, great pay, caring company
I liked working for Alberta Health Services
Food Services Worker (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB20 March 2018
I liked working at the hospital preparing food for the patients. The hardest part of the job was seeing so many sick people and not being able to do much to help them
Great Job
Unit Clerk (Current Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB20 March 2018
I have always loved my job at Alberta Health Services. I love the work, great staff. I would recommend working for Alberta Health Services to anyone that asked me.
Impersonal Employer, Undervalued Employee
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 March 2018
Work with amazing hard working nurses everyday which is amazing. BUT Employer (AHS) treats us like a number and puts the pressure of budget on their nurses.
Heavy Workload
Food Service Aide (Current Employee) –  Leduc, AB13 March 2018
The staff are great to work with, but the minute to minute work schedule is a bit ridiculous. I've been there almost a year and just recently found out I won't qualify for benefits until I have more permanent hours which is not fair.. considering this job is through Alberta Health Services.
Good complany to work for
Recovery Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 March 2018
All companies have their flaws, however I do feel AHS is a fair and decent company to work for. I worked with a small division in the mental health field and found it to be a great experience.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
It is not a good company
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 March 2018
I worked for this company for 4.5 years. I worked hard and did many contributions to AHS. However, when my supervisor retired, I was bullied every day by new supervisor. I suffered too much and had to leave this company.
Benefits
Cons
The culture and work environment are poor

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Alberta Health Services. Our community is ready to answer.