Alberta Health Services

Alberta Health Services Work-life balance reviews

Clear
3.9Pay & benefits

Well organized workplace with opportunities for career growth.

In general, a well organized workplace with numerous opportunities in a variety of nursing fields, lots of lateral mobility to try different areas of nursing and plenty of flexibility for casual, part time, temporary, or full time work. A generally collaborative and team-based environment.

Variable but much more good than bad

This is a large employer so there are bound to be some poor experiences, but there is a reason it is so hard to get in! There are tons of chances to diversify and try new roles. People are hired for their profession and people do the job they are hired to do. The pay is good. For the most part, everyone wants to work and wants to see patients get quality care. Benefits vary by union so that can be a sore spot. There is only one bad thing about AHS. There are too many opportunities for RNs to work in leadership that isn’t related to nursing, that could be better filled by other professions. But they respect different professions and want to be efficient and effective in providing patients treatment.

Pros

You do the job you’ve been hired to do. There are lots of opportunities to try new jobs.

Cons

The ability to move into new roles makes many positions unstable and temporary.

Excellent place to work, happy to recommend to anyone interested!

Although I've been away from AHS for over a year due to illness, it is my strongest wish to rejoin AHS as they are fantastic and make work a true joy!

Pros

understanding, open minded, forward thinking, helpful, courteous and fun people

Cons

the only one ever are people that show up but don't want to put in the effort!

Place you can retire from

Depends where you are working within AHS. The departments tht I have worked, Department of paediatric at AB Children’s hospital was the only place I felt had toxic environment.

Pros

Opportunities to learn and grow

Cons

Favouritism

Busy and interesting

Work goes by fast as there is always something to do. The staff are amazing and a good group to work with. Lots of opportunities to learn new things.

Good place to work, but pay is low for what we do.

I love going to work everyday. Hospital staff and patients are great, however the pay is low for the amount of work we do. Work life balance is great. Management is supportive. You feel like part of a family here.

Pros

Great work place

Cons

Low pay

Awful place to work. Employees are full of anger and resentment for their poor lifestyle this job provides for them.

From the moment you enter this environment, you feel the negativity surrounding you. No training, nasty people to work with, lots of anger and resentment towards others in this work environment. I wouldn't recommend this place to my enemies.

Pros

Cons

Long hours, expectations to work overtime without being paid for it. Time and time again this is the situation.

Nepotism Will Get You Hired

Some departments in HR are blantant with nepotism, hiring friends at top of pay scales, giving raises despite a salary freeze, etc. It's great if you're the person who is besties with the leader. Star talent leaves the organization because of no opportunity to grow. It's great if you are in a unionized position. Better pay and someone to actually fight for you when management tries shady things.

Pros

Work life balance, opportunity to grow depending on who you know

Cons

Poor pay if you join in a non-union position.

Environmental services ll

Great work environment. Most coworkers would go out of their way to lend a hand and help out when needed. Sometimes when you go above and beyond you are not appreciated for it though from the managers. Makes a person feel like not wanting to help out as much. Otherwise workload is good and environment is usually a fun place to be wether dealing with nursing or other departments.

Pros

Pay

Cons

Not feeling appreciated sometimes

Good work place

I would say it is good place to work. Fair pay, good benefit, job secured. If you are looking for flexible job, I would highly recommended working at AHS.

Pros

Good pay, good benefit

Jobs at Alberta Health Services

See more jobs

Challenging and rewarding

I work with residents that have dementia and Alzheimer’s which is a challenge. It’s a challenge when I give them direction and they don’t follow and I have to get them to understand to what you want them to do. Another challenge is to have patience when residents ring every few minutes when I’m with another resident. There is always a chance to learn how to get round these challenges.Thank goodness I have a partner to work with through these challenges. The other thing I’m thankful for is the laughs that are shared with the residents. When we can make them laugh there is a connection on a fun level that is so rewarding.

Pros

Support from staff

Cons

Challenges for communication

AHS has been my home since 2002. I love my job and my work family.

RAH is a large hospital with many different units and modalities. I am proud to work here. It is hectic and can be stressful but my work family and management make it possible for balance In and off campus.

good culture

AHS is a good employer. The Government has too much say over many aspects of day to day work but that is the nature of healthcare. there is plenty of opportunity for advancement, but if your program gets scrapped because of budget or change in management you will most likely not find otherwork.

Pros

good place to work long term .

Cons

when you get a bad manager or colleague you either quit or try to outlive them.

Great employer

Best job I have had. I was fortunate and had a great boss. Good job security. Union package, health benefits package Opportunity for advancement. Training opportunities

Pros

Salary, health benefits

Cons

Stressful

Health care is not for everyone

AHS is a government run entity. I have never been subject to a more incompetent organization in all my career. If you’re considering health care all I can say is the work life balance is ok but rest assured the government will come looking to cut your pay. I haven’t had a raise in over 5 years

Pros

Work life balance

Cons

Incompetent employer

Large organization which makes you feel important part of the team.

Overall Alberta Health Services is a good organization to work for. What makes it most satisfactory is the management team. Having a great manager makes all the difference

Pros

Reasonable salary. Good pension plan contributions.

Cons

Larger organization. Slow to make decisions at times.

Casual work

Don't have much to say this is a casual position with no guarantee of work Good for parttime if thats what your looking for or just a stepping stool for something better

heavy clumsy system

heavy clumsy system with a lot of rules and restrictions, no chance to implement something new and innovative. Forget about personal development and career grow.

Retirement job

Is you can get in with AHS, you have a career til you retire. You won't get paid as much elsewhere for the same type of work. The pay is definitely worth it alone.

Hca

I worked with the elderly and loved every min of it. It had its ups and downs but to see them smile made my heart melt. I love working with the seniors.

Lots of opportunities

I worked in various administrative roles in healthcare for 30 years. It can be very rewarding. There is opportunity for advancement in some work streams.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Alberta Health Services. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6Job security/advancement