Alberta Health Services
Happiness score is 65 out of 100

Alberta Health Services Pay & benefits reviews

Best job I have had. I was fortunate and had a great boss. Good job security. Union package, health benefits package Opportunity for advancement. Training opportunities
Pros
Salary, health benefits
Cons
Stressful
no career advancement, takes a long time to get a 70 cent raise every year. Too many managers that don't fix the unstopables from workplace harassment and work distribution.
Pros
good dental and medical
Cons
work play bullying, unfair work load
The salary and benefits are very enticing and at first I loved working for AHS; however, that quickly changed. I have worked for different departments within AHS and have found all of them to have the same problems. To advance in the organization you have to be willing to play the political game. I have seen so many people without the qualifications get pushed into another role that they simply aren't qualified for. It is frustrating as I know others who met these qualifications did not get those positions or even an opportunity at them. Also, management will likely micro-manage you. If I didn't respond to every single e-mail then I apparently wasn't doing my job. Unless you're in the healthcare field I do not suggest AHS to anyone. It is a horrible organization that endorses bullying and harassment.
Pros
Wage
Cons
Everything else
It is a good job with benefits as long as you can get part time or full time. As long as you have the education that is needed that also helps with the work.
loved the job staff was good benefits were great very professional work environment workers took pride in the work the provided would love to return to this work place
The Environment is awesome , Management needs to be more present and knowledgeable of their work place. Good benefits and a chance to move around in different departments.
Pros
Great atmosphere
Cons
The lack of available Management
My time at AHS was great, I was able to polish on my skill set and add to it from what I have learned from my time at AHS. The hardest part of the job was constantly changing between projects, however it allowed myself to grow and adapt as a worker.
Benefits
Cons
No Overtime
I find that trying to take on a role with more challenges and responsibilities for job satisfaction, would take me no where. Unless I know "someone inside". There is very little chance for career growth.
Pros
Good salary and benefits
Cons
No career advancement
Certain departments are amazing to work for. Like all large companies this is not true across the board If you have a great boss, you will have a great job, they give a lot of ongoing education which is a great asset to move up in your profession.
Pros
Work with great people, ongoing education
Cons
low salary, political
- strong CEO - many formal professional development opportunities - lots of opportunity if you are eager - forward thinking healthcare system compared to many others in Canada - competitive salary and benefits
I have always liked my job at AHS. It has variety, working on the computer, calling staff to fill shifts, discussing strategies with the manger, etc. The most enjoyable part of the job is talking with people. The hardest part of the job is adjusting staff schedules and negotiating with the staff to get hot spots areas of the staffing needs filled.
Pros
Very good benefits
This review comes from over 10 years of experience with Alberta Health Services. The organization claims to have a patient centered model but I can speak directly in opposition to this, Alberta Health Services is clearly a budget centered operation. Management practices favor budgets over staff health and safety, several departments are non-compliant with new changes in Occupational Health & Safety legislation because the cost would be too high. Work life balance is a joke and if you use sick time you are placed on attendance awareness.
Pros
They pay on time
Cons
Management, Benefits, Worklife Balance
Decent pay, low morale. A low stress work environment that could be handled by most people. Regular daliy routine of 8-4, no stress about work not being completed but next to no motivators.
Glass ceiling is fairly apparent as there's lots of opportunity for lateral movement, but limited for advance vertically. Good benefits. Job culture and management dependent on where you work.
Interesting projects to work on, but under high pressure. Consultants must have ability to deal with politics and unions. Great work life balance and benefits.
I have worked at AHS for about 4 years. I support a team of approximately 25 people. I am encouraged by leadership to take courses via internal education methods to expand my knowledge. The workplace culture is very divided. Lower level employees have a great camaraderie but leadership has a hard time fitting in with their people. They do not engage nor do they support their groups. I enjoy the people I work with but I do not enjoy the monotony that is endured.
Pros
Good salary and lots of opportunity to move around
Cons
Management do not support workers, political environment, excessive meetings and everything is "processed" to death
Non-union employees are in year 4 of a 5 year salary freeze. Just watch, they'll probably extend the freeze even further. This is an employer that is all too eager for its employees to grow their responsibility, but with no commensurate growth in compensation. It's a nice place to work - as long as one doesn't mind financial stagnation. Costs continue to rise every year. Benefits contributions go up and up and up. Salaries go nowhere. To call it a financial dead end is actually generous. In reality, if costs rise and salaries stay constant, net in-pocket compensation actually decreases.
Pros
Stable work environment.
Cons
Salaries frozen for 5 years and counting.
Great people to work with, hard to advance if just starting out. Love the work load, people, and management, also has a really great pay with great shift differentials
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Hard Advancement
AHS is a great company to work for. Good benefits, good salary, although understaffing is quite an issue at times. But this was a great work environment, really great nursing staff.
good benefits/pay long hours Alberta weather friendly staff team work fast paced flexible and challenging at the same time hiring process was quick and easy
Pros
good benefits/pay
Cons
Good Co workers Units cooperate Keeps you active for a job Hard working people Caring Staff Food could be upgraded for the patients though Would work here for a long time