Alberta Health Services logo

Clear
Work-life balance
Pay & benefits

Great employer

Best job I have had. I was fortunate and had a great boss. Good job security. Union package, health benefits package Opportunity for advancement. Training opportunities

Pros

Salary, health benefits

Cons

Stressful

Typical

Multiple things will happen at one time. Need to be a strong problem solver and very organized. I have been in an out of scope role for 9 years and I have never seen a raise or gratitude for the amount of work we do. In scope staff get between 1-3% yet we as their managers/directors and higher see nothing. We have a scale within our position yet are not able to move within that annually (like in-scope staff). In scope staff after 5-7 yrs of service to max out in their pay...out of scope employees do not have this advantage. Where you start...is ultimately where you end. It is sad that my staff make as much or close to what I make, yet I have a lot more responsibility, do not get paid overtime, and have to be accountable for them. (It's just sad).

Too many HR middle managers, program managers, directors, executive directors.

Too many HR middle managers, program managers, directors, executive directors. Too many meetings, micro-managing trying to justify their salary. Toxic culture.

Pros

Compensation

Cons

HR not practicing what they preach. Politics are more important than truthfulness.

I loved working for AHS for the firs 8 years of my work history. Unfortunately the environment changed drastically after contract negotiations failed

I was able to take the opportunity to receive training within AHS and my Union to further my educational background and strengthen my further opportunities.

Pros

I have benefits, pensionable hours and education opportunities

Cons

I have no job security

N/a

although the job opportunities are few and far between at the moment, it is well worth the effort and wait. AHS is a great company to work for. Excellent team members, fair wage and benefits

I love the job itself and wish something more permanent was possible

AHS interviews have more to do with your presentation than your actual abilities. It doesn't matter how good your work ethic is, or how reliable you are.

A good place to work.

This job offers all kinds if unique opportunities for advancement and yearly pay increases. Good union to support you and work on your behalf. Diversity in work areas.

Fast paced

Most days we had to work our shift short at least 2 people.Poor management,No team work between rns, lpns, and hcas. Staff bulling and gossiping.Company has very good benefits, and lots of chance to change job positions

Well compensated, well-resourced

AHS is well-funded and well-organized. Having worked as a nurse in Ontario as well, I’d say AHS compares very well in terms of compensation, organization of staff, training, and employee supports. Although it will obviously vary from place to place, I found the culture of health care delivery to be very positive with excellent collaboration between staff, clear policies, and good access to physical resources and services resulting in excellent patient care.

Great Company

Benefits/Salary/Pension are all fair. Comfortable and safe work environment. Staffing shortages can often make the job stressful yet manageable. Overall great job and lots of opportunities for advancements or moving around and trying new things.

Jobs at Alberta Health Services

See more jobs

"Do more with less" should be their motto

Looking at cutting wages when there hasn't been a raise (not even COL) in at least 10 years. They expect you to focus on them and help them out when they are short staffed but no noted return. Very poor morale across the board no to many happy people working there right now.

Nice place to work.

Good management and nice place of work. Salary is satisfied with the life management and the benefits too. According to my opinion, Alberta Health Services is one of the best place to work.

Bingo,and other activities

enjoying work in alberta health services' like the manager supervisor, nurses and co-worker.good facility very clean. nice clients, fair salary for the employee, but sometimes its hard to get in because of the high volume of the applicant specially in the city.

Wage is decent Hours are good People are lovely Good support staff Hardest part of job: medical/surgical floors are busy and demanding Friendly environment and there is room for advancement

Lots of Professional and caring people

AHS is a company that is more interested in paying absolute minimum for wages and benefits the collective agreement is proof of their culture in asking employees to work more with less and less.

Pros

Fun, Caring, Professional people

Cons

Your just an employee nothing more

Tons of opportunity

AHS is a large organization with lots of opportunity for advancement. The pay and benefits are great and the culture is inclusive and inviting. I really enjoy working for AHS.

Diverse and fast paced work environment.

Somewhat physically demanding, shifts available around the clock. Lots of hours available if your are a casual employee that is reliable and punctual.

Good people, but slow and chaotic environment.

Large Public Sector Healthcare organization - good job security but slow decision making. Work is very dependent on government budgets, so in tough times like now, I had very low levels of autonomy and not very good compensation (salary freezes for five years).

fun

a fairly good place to work for. mangers are understanding and work with you. most of the co workers a good to work with. they try to give you the work you need.

Okay benefits, have to change department to advance

If you get a unioned position, you get raises, and okay benefits. Not up to industry standards in the private, but still okay. Job security is good. If you get an exempt position, however, salaries have been frozen for years (at least since 2012). You will get staff working for you getting paid more than you. To advance your career, AHS management has a culture of hiring external. As well, as you get promoted internally, AHS has rules as to how much of a raise they can give you, and it is limited. So you are better off quitting AHS to be rehired for a promotion, or else you are stuck at a low salary for years. Everyone is very nice, most managers are great. But their hands are tied. AHS as a whole does not value their employees whatsoever.

Poor Management

Crazy work hours with day and night shifts that are harsh on your body and health. Poor management from leads, managers, and directors. Gossipy environment

Pros

Good benefits; ability to help lives

Cons

Everything else

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Alberta Health Services. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6Job security/advancement