Alberta Health Services

Alberta Health Services Pay & benefits reviews

Best job I have had. I was fortunate and had a great boss. Good job security. Union package, health benefits package Opportunity for advancement. Training opportunities
Pros
Salary, health benefits
Cons
Stressful
Phenomenal career and position of growth if looking to pursue other policing agencies or to remain employed by the government with great benefits, pension, and wage. Diverse Law Enforcement experience, dealing with the general population and anyone coming into AHS Premise’. There is no normal day for an AHS Peace Officer - you may find yourself responding to fire related calls, medical calls, property crimes, crimes in progress, assist external Law Enforcement partners, and enforcement of Provincial Statutory Authorities which include; Trespass to Premises Act, Petty Trespass Act, Gaming Liquor and Cannabis Act, Public Health Act, Mental Health Act, Tobacco Smoking and Reduction Act, Traffic Safety Act all under the authority of the Provincial Offences and Procedures Act.
Pros
Amazing Law Enforcement Experience
Cons
Some Staff look and treat AHSPS poorly
In my opinion the job is great as long you focus on what you're there for. The supervisors for very welcoming and they listen to problems and issues regarding the work
Pros
Premium on evenings and weekends
Cons
No free lunches
Some departments in HR are blantant with nepotism, hiring friends at top of pay scales, giving raises despite a salary freeze, etc. It's great if you're the person who is besties with the leader. Star talent leaves the organization because of no opportunity to grow. It's great if you are in a unionized position. Better pay and someone to actually fight for you when management tries shady things.
Pros
Work life balance, opportunity to grow depending on who you know
Cons
Poor pay if you join in a non-union position.
Although there are pockets of good work being done under the radar most of the crucial work that needs to happen regarding streamlining operations for long-term care, better patient experience, innovation does not happen. Most people are given promotion depending on the longevity of their stay rather than merit and very much based on nepotism. The saying here is the less you do the more you talk politically the faster you rise you just need to have a constant smile in your face. The system is designed to get the results it gets and it starts with the CEO who is a political machine and has zero accountability. Alberta Health Services needs a revolution most of the employees here are given good pay and good benefits called the golden handcuffs as long as you don't create a kerfuffle you will keep climbing the ladder at the expense of patients suffering
Pros
Good pay good benefits
Cons
Least innovative, cronyism, top heavy, hierarchical, old school thinking
My manager was a terrible dictator, he did work which the Union did not approve of. Get a life and do not work here, job stability, sure if you want to spend the rest of your life fighting an individual. Life is greener outside AHS. I couldn't wait to get my foot out !Stay Away !!
Pros
No Pros- Benefits in the name of taking and scraping your money from your pockets.
Cons
Benefits- fight your manager to get it, Management doesn't care how you are kicked around, Terrible Politics, work will be taken away from you, you will be made redundant.
I would say it is good place to work. Fair pay, good benefit, job secured. If you are looking for flexible job, I would highly recommended working at AHS.
Pros
Good pay, good benefit
I do not recommend anyone that has a disability of any sort to apply with AHS. There culture in the workplace is to get rid of people who have to be accommodated in the work place that have a disability. They have a documented process how they will accommodate people in the work place but have a very weak approach to obtaining any reasonable job position
Pros
Good benefits, well paid positions
Cons
Management lacks the ability to listen
AHS is a government run entity. I have never been subject to a more incompetent organization in all my career. If you’re considering health care all I can say is the work life balance is ok but rest assured the government will come looking to cut your pay. I haven’t had a raise in over 5 years
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Incompetent employer
Overall Alberta Health Services is a good organization to work for. What makes it most satisfactory is the management team. Having a great manager makes all the difference
Pros
Reasonable salary. Good pension plan contributions.
Cons
Larger organization. Slow to make decisions at times.
AHS generally a good place to work but as a non union employee we have not had any cost of living increases in years. It feels good working and contributing to patient care.
The team I worked with has worst manager. My manager is somewhat racist and moody. Also, team talks a lot about team work during meetings but in real life they all work in Silos. Hated my work at AHS like anything. No Scope to enhance your career path. No one talks about career goals. Director and Manager talks everything like buddies and they underestimate other employees capabilities
Pros
Good Salary, life work balance
Cons
No career growth, works manager
Is you can get in with AHS, you have a career til you retire. You won't get paid as much elsewhere for the same type of work. The pay is definitely worth it alone.
AHS should not double deduction from staff while they had vacation or sick leave or personal leave. We didn’t get double paid for vacation, it’s our save put aside for vacation while we worked ,then when we using those vacations time we not allow to rent our spot to friend that made me so angry with AHS.
Excellent leadership culture exists here. However, it is a highly unionized clinical environment. There is a work-life-family balance. Job security is assured, salary package isn't bad but could be better especially for managers since they are 'Out of Scope' and no union to fight for them in terms of benefits. Job culture is great as it remains zero tolerance to workplace bully and the like.
Hoping that management team can spend more time reaching out and find time to talk to the workers. Aside from that it is a good place to work, benefits are okay as well.
It is a very top-heavy organization where everyone is a manager except for you. Because of this, it is a “shut-up and put-up” environment. Very toxic!
Pros
Salary, benefits, pension
Cons
Good wages and benefits. Permanent employees over 20 hours/week have access to Pension, RRSP, Personal Days off and Health Spending Account. Unfortunately, permanent full-time vacancies are uncommon now, leaving departments to work shorthanded in the name of cost-cutting. I’ve worked with AHS for almost 4 years, interviewed for about 10 permanent full-time positions during that time, but ended up working in a series of temporary and casual contracts. With the implementation of ConnectCare, fewer Admins will be needed to cope with the currently cumbersome workload.
Really enjoy working with the nurses and other staffing at the clinic. Good people to work with that make the workload less stressful. Benefits are good, continuous learning in regards to health, public and emergency situations.
I have worked for AHS in a non-union position for over 8 yrs and in that time have had no increase due to government and senior leadership cost cutting, while unionized positions and senior leadership have year over year seen between 1-3% increases. New staff is also hired at higher salaries (current market rates) while those who have been dedicated employees have gotten no recognition or cost of living increases. A lot of non-union employees work second jobs just to make ends meet. Workloads tend to increase above what staff are able to reasonably manage due to the cost cutting.
working AHS it’s not bad , they have a fair salary, the working routine its not easy , I’m just lucky that my bosses are very nice and they are very considerate.