Alberta Health Services

Alberta Health Services Management reviews

Clear

The hospital was a great place but the crew werent a team

I worked for AHS in strathmore, the crew is acidic. There is no room for advancement there as the maintenance 3 and 4 are lifers and always have issues. They will be little you and you'll be treated like a piece of cr..p, numerous times there have been HR complaints and nothing gets done. MANAGEMENT is lazy and if you are not a yes man then your f...ed. Best piece of advice don't go to Strathmore. Go to wabasca for a term with good management then pick where you want to go internally. You will get f...ed in strathmore.

Pros

All other departments are great

Cons

The list is too long for that department

Terrible manager

low wages, over worked and always working short. management not understanding and Is ruthless. quite often breaks and lunches are missed and you wont be compensated for them. You cannot plan a vacation because management wont approve them.

Mismanaged company!

Not a healthy environment to work!A lot of fighting between co workers & management looking the other waySo short staffed -Over worked & under paid!

Pros

Met a couple really nice people/ co workers

Cons

Under paid!!!

Toxic environment

AHS has and always will have a toxic environment, no matter how many meeting/emails they do. Unfortunately leadership are the worst offenders. They also lake skills in communication, cryptic messages all the time. Considering you work for a health authority the benefits are rubbish.

Pros

Salary

Cons

crazy schedules

Productivity

I am retired now but loved my years at AHS. I had routines. Management great. Culture awesome. Friendly and supportive. Polite. Training flexible. Encouraging

Pros

Complimentary

Cons

Long drive

Worst place to work

Its who you know. Staff get hired by supervisors with whom they are bestfriends with. People get away with sub par work practices. Good workers leave.

Pros

Cons

Worst Management ever

AHS- Room to Grow if your “IN”

Extremely clique based. No room for growth unless the Manager or Directors love you. Extremely unfair and different rules for different individuals. No consistency. Constantly breaking Collective Agreements. My mental health has hugely suffered since working with AHS. They treat admin staff horribly.

Good place to work, but pay is low for what we do.

I love going to work everyday. Hospital staff and patients are great, however the pay is low for the amount of work we do. Work life balance is great. Management is supportive. You feel like part of a family here.

Pros

Great work place

Cons

Low pay

Awful place to work. Employees are full of anger and resentment for their poor lifestyle this job provides for them.

From the moment you enter this environment, you feel the negativity surrounding you. No training, nasty people to work with, lots of anger and resentment towards others in this work environment. I wouldn't recommend this place to my enemies.

Pros

Cons

Long hours, expectations to work overtime without being paid for it. Time and time again this is the situation.

Productive educational and amazing place to work

Productive educational and amazing place to work.I have been actively employed at AHS as a health care aid enjoy every moment of it .They provide lots of education and respect from coworkers clients and management. I continue to excel in my workInterest and requirements on a yearly basis .AHS Has been my full-time employment for the last eight years and four months

Pros

Awesome place to work

Cons

No cons to report

Jobs at Alberta Health Services

See more jobs

Nepotism Will Get You Hired

Some departments in HR are blantant with nepotism, hiring friends at top of pay scales, giving raises despite a salary freeze, etc. It's great if you're the person who is besties with the leader. Star talent leaves the organization because of no opportunity to grow. It's great if you are in a unionized position. Better pay and someone to actually fight for you when management tries shady things.

Pros

Work life balance, opportunity to grow depending on who you know

Cons

Poor pay if you join in a non-union position.

Slow bureaucratic behemoth with nepotistic hiring, toxic culture

Although there are pockets of good work being done under the radar most of the crucial work that needs to happen regarding streamlining operations for long-term care, better patient experience, innovation does not happen. Most people are given promotion depending on the longevity of their stay rather than merit and very much based on nepotism. The saying here is the less you do the more you talk politically the faster you rise you just need to have a constant smile in your face. The system is designed to get the results it gets and it starts with the CEO who is a political machine and has zero accountability. Alberta Health Services needs a revolution most of the employees here are given good pay and good benefits called the golden handcuffs as long as you don't create a kerfuffle you will keep climbing the ladder at the expense of patients suffering

Pros

Good pay good benefits

Cons

Least innovative, cronyism, top heavy, hierarchical, old school thinking

Terrible place to work for- filled with politics and dictatorship

My manager was a terrible dictator, he did work which the Union did not approve of. Get a life and do not work here, job stability, sure if you want to spend the rest of your life fighting an individual. Life is greener outside AHS. I couldn't wait to get my foot out !Stay Away !!

Pros

No Pros- Benefits in the name of taking and scraping your money from your pockets.

Cons

Benefits- fight your manager to get it, Management doesn't care how you are kicked around, Terrible Politics, work will be taken away from you, you will be made redundant.

A good place to work with good benefits and salary.

I worked for Alberta Health Services for 10 years, Employees are encouraged to keep up to date with education in their field of work. Management is approachable if you have any questions.

Unfair treatment and poor management

Poor management, hypocrisy and bullying. No chances of advancement even if you more qualified, unless you’re “in good standing” with the manager who is not qualified herself. LPNs are preferred because of lower pay rate, although not competent. If you know the manager, you’ll have perks; if you’ll seek clarification and stand up for yourself, the manager will find a way to make you leave.

Pros

Pay

Cons

Poor management

Staff mental health Safety

I feel working in a crisis area of pediatric or adult pysc. Unit. There must better better long term leadership with theManagement teamSpecifically daily team debriefing time is a must, not just a two minute shift exchange amongst staff. It is a shared responsiblity if you want long term staff retainment.

Pros

Team strength

Cons

No Debriefing in crisis situation!

Extremely poor management at Both Services, with no concise direction.

Poor initiation, no job support, basically left on my own to figure things out. Extremely poor management who did not care that there were bully employees, did nothing about them. No rhyme or reasons to decisions "Because I said so". Found management screaming at employees several times. Was not reported as most of the employees have families and needed the pay check. It seemed like an "old girls" club where its who you know not what you know. Obviously wrong people in management.

Pros

Absolutely None other than some other employees and physicians were great to work with, appreciated all efforts

Cons

No orientation, extremely poor management with no direction, only those that were in the "old girls club" succeeded, Management was "because I said so", found screaming at other employees at times, were only worried about when the food truck arrived, not taking care of patients, poor work environment.

Job accommodation

I do not recommend anyone that has a disability of any sort to apply with AHS. There culture in the workplace is to get rid of people who have to be accommodated in the work place that have a disability. They have a documented process how they will accommodate people in the work place but have a very weak approach to obtaining any reasonable job position

Pros

Good benefits, well paid positions

Cons

Management lacks the ability to listen

AHS has been my home since 2002. I love my job and my work family.

RAH is a large hospital with many different units and modalities. I am proud to work here. It is hectic and can be stressful but my work family and management make it possible for balance In and off campus.

good culture

AHS is a good employer. The Government has too much say over many aspects of day to day work but that is the nature of healthcare. there is plenty of opportunity for advancement, but if your program gets scrapped because of budget or change in management you will most likely not find otherwork.

Pros

good place to work long term .

Cons

when you get a bad manager or colleague you either quit or try to outlive them.

An excellent place to work and continue to grow and learn and change ways of doing things

A great career can be had at AHS as continuous learning opportunities are provided. A collabotatve work culture has been my experience. Management is not only approachable but also supportive. Coworkers are lovely hardworking dedicated individuals. Shout out to Recovery Supports team with Addiction and Mental Health Exmo to

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Alberta Health Services. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6Job security/advancement