Alberta Health Services Management reviews

AHS Concerns with management
Occupational Therapist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 January 2019
Providing the best approach and practice for patients while supporting your team should be the focus for management; however this is not the case. Concerns with ensuring assessments and tools are not of best practice occurred despite extreme efforts from the team. This included education of what is being used and why, keeping the assessments and tools cost effective as well as practical and current. There is no unbiased way to have concerns heard as Confidence line is the only unbiased part of raising concerns. Your concerns are then sent back to Alberta Health services where the approach is biased and concerning.
Pros
Excellent direct coworkers who want the best for the people they work with
Cons
Management, no unbiased way to have concerns heard
Where you are a number not a person
Advanced Care Paramedic - Full Time (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB8 January 2019
This review comes from over 10 years of experience with Alberta Health Services. The organization claims to have a patient centered model but I can speak directly in opposition to this, Alberta Health Services is clearly a budget centered operation. Management practices favor budgets over staff health and safety, several departments are non-compliant with new changes in Occupational Health & Safety legislation because the cost would be too high. Work life balance is a joke and if you use sick time you are placed on attendance awareness.
Pros
They pay on time
Cons
Management, Benefits, Worklife Balance
toxic work environment
LPN (Casual) (Former Employee) –  Foothills, AB20 December 2018
I worked for AHS for over a year and was part of a union which was less than helpful during my probation period.

I was bullied as an employee from day one by a senior nurse and felt very uncomfortable coming to work because it felt like I was in high school all over again. I know I was not the only one and that others felt the same too. Put a complaint into the manager who did very little about it. The environment was toxic and there is a table behind the desk where all these women sit around and gossip about each other, rude comments about sister units and the individuals that worked on the other side.

I had anxiety coming to work which caused me stress while I was working which made me have a foggy mind during work.

too bad because i really liked the position but the environment killed it for me.
Pros
lots of hours
Cons
too many patients not enough time to spend and thoroughly assess
Good job security, limited room for advancement
Occupational Therapist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 December 2018
Glass ceiling is fairly apparent as there's lots of opportunity for lateral movement, but limited for advance vertically. Good benefits. Job culture and management dependent on where you work.
Terrible Management
Health Care Aide (Current Employee) –  Fort Macleod, AB10 December 2018
The management is terrible, Do not address your concerns. Treat you like second class nobodies. Was told Health Care aides are not important. Retirement is getting closer will be glad to leave.
Reasonable Workplace
Administrative Assistant IV (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 November 2018
I have worked at AHS for about 4 years. I support a team of approximately 25 people. I am encouraged by leadership to take courses via internal education methods to expand my knowledge. The workplace culture is very divided. Lower level employees have a great camaraderie but leadership has a hard time fitting in with their people. They do not engage nor do they support their groups. I enjoy the people I work with but I do not enjoy the monotony that is endured.
Pros
Good salary and lots of opportunity to move around
Cons
Management do not support workers, political environment, excessive meetings and everything is "processed" to death
The job as great. Cultural diversity was agressive
Environmental Services (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB10 November 2018
I really appreciate the integrity if the environmental services department. Management was very aware of the staff and overseeing a job done timely and effectively.
Pros
Knowledge of health and safety was a must
Ahs
Nurse (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 October 2018
Too fixated on media propaganda rather then actually fixing solutions, heavy management vs increasing front line staff, dictatorship type of organization rather then ensuring the best care for Albertans by asking the community members and staff where resource allocation should occur.
A workplace that strives to contribute to the health needs of Albertans
Clinical Nurse Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 October 2018
-Experienced personal and professional growth.
-Need for focused ethical and performance management education for management.
-Was not a psychological safe environment. Inability to deal with destructive conflict effectively and efficiently.
-The opportunity to be a change agent at the front-lines and systems level was the most fulfilling part of the job. Advocating for a health workplace was also enjoyable although difficult.
Great People
ADMINISTRATIVE III (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 October 2018
Great people to work with, hard to advance if just starting out. Love the work load, people, and management, also has a really great pay with great shift differentials
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Hard Advancement
Distressing place to work, Work place violence and harresment still exists
Tradesman (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 October 2018
Work its self is ok, you do your own thing. Co workers are great. Management regularly practices harassment and bullying. Don't get credited for doing over and above your own duties. Upper management is ok with work place violence.
Pros
pay check
Cons
mental and emotional distress for yourself and your family
Good long term benefits
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 October 2018
Life balance is good and because of budget restraints restricted growth regarding training, no coffee, tea provided, no other perks like events. The overall culture is better than 5 years ago. Senior Management is really trying but middle Management is terrible.
Pros
Life work balance and pension
Cons
Not much room for growth and/or recognition
Productive, fun company to work
Health Care Aide (Current Employee) –  Athabasca, AB22 October 2018
always given opportunity to learn and grow
wonderful coworkers
exciting fast paced environments
understanding management
welcoming environment
genuine management staff who care about their employees and clients
Great organization to work for
Manager, Finance Policy (Former Employee) –  Calgary, Alberta16 October 2018
I had a great few years working at AHS. Management has been very supportive of my career development, offered great work life balance and opportunity to grow.
great place to work
AVIRT Nurse (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 October 2018
Excellent place to work in community. Very supportive management at each health center . Staffing was sufficient and team work was encouraged. Orientation and on going teaching was excellent
Pros
great on going teaching
Cons
not enough support from upper management
Opportunity
Administration Assistant (Current Employee) –  Drayton Valley, AB5 October 2018
Working for Alberta Health Services has provided me with a great career and opportunity for advancement in the health care field as well as they provide great benefits/wages.
Pros
Good work hours and wages
Cons
need for more in-house management
productive
Food service (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 October 2018
good fun productive to work and as team work good pay good management near to my house and everything is ok their people are good and helpful the end
Very rewarding role in being able to help those in need with ensuring their buildings are upgraded
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  central Alberta2 October 2018
AHS is a challenging place to work because it is a gov't role where the transparency requirement gets in the way of progress and common sense. The role consists of managing stakeholders, consultants and vendors to get projects done. The most enjoyable part of the job is going to site and seeing the progress of projects and feeling good about the contribution being made to the betterment of the end-users.
Pros
working to help those in need, good vacation plan, pension
Cons
government red tape, clique & kingdom entrenched management structure, nepotism, old boys club..
Dysfunctional and depressing environment
Environmental Services II (Former Employee) –  Alberta14 September 2018
Dictatorship management, more work than people/time, abundance of clip-board supervisors, very low morale,high expectations , poor communication
Unfulfilling, task -oriented, ridiculous paperwork
Pros
Wage & benefits
Cons
Work felt like punishment
very friendly place and the staff are welcoming
Casual Unit Clerk Secretary (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB8 September 2018
it is a great place to work. The management is very professional and helpful.
It's very enjoyable place to work. You get to meet all sorts of different people though in tough times but you get to make friends and learn from them as well.
Pros
meeting new people on daily basis
Cons
shift work ;crazy hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Alberta Health Services. Our community is ready to answer.