Alberta Health Services

Alberta Health Services Employee Reviews for Unit Clerk

Fast paced and each day is never the same. Wonderful learning new skills from all types of staff. You must be able to deal with many types of personalities and sometimes it can be very challenging. Very rewarding career for the most part
typical day at work would include, discharging charts, executing phone consults to doctors, screen calling and insuring patient confidentiality. Management was fair and tried to make the work environment less stressful and more efficient. Hardest part of the job was the grimness that occurs in an emergency department. the best was collaborating with my co workers to make work easier on us.
Where I work it is a feeling of family, we work as a team which is very high on my list. The most enjoyable part of my job is dealing with the parents when the first come to the unit, they have no idea what to expect. Their first priority is their child, so for me to make them more comfortable and try to make them feel at ease is a great reward.
Flexibility to apply for different roles and positions. Went from being a casual admin support to full time unit clerk, then trainer. Internal learning support as well as to pursue relevant learning.
AHS has been a wonderful experience for me and I highly recommend it to anyone wanting to work in a face paced, fair, exciting work environment. Great opportunities!
I've worked on many units and I have to say that each unit is different, but the attitudes many healthcare professionals is a bit similar. some units are very catty, others more relaxed, but one thing that is the same is the gossip and stress by coworkers.
I love being a unit clerk. I enjoy going where the need is to help out a unit and perform my job to the best of my ability. We can be very busy with admissions, discharges, transfers and post op patients, let alone the orders we process on the unit. In the clinics you're checking patients in, making sure the proper information is available for their appointment, re booking appointments or surgeries and always being kind, professional and helpful.
Pros
co workers are usually awesome
Cutbacks coming, looking for more hours. I love the staff but fear job loss will be coming. They hire to many casuals so I can’t pick up extra hours. Casuals get shifts first. Not fair.
Angry emotional nursing staff. Liked my job as ward clerk. Treated very well, most places. Work orders were clear and manageable. Breaks/lunch great.
The unit I work on is super busy, but everyone I have encountered so far has been extremely helpful and supportive, making it much easier to learn the ins and outs of the job.
Working with the patients, coworkers and management was always a pleasure, it was a fast paced but enjoyable work environment and there was always work to be doing.
I loved my co workers, I didn't like working for union I think workers need to be more accountable in service they provided, the hardest part of our job, was working in time allotted to to budgets, these tasks were not realistic, always
Students enter positions for practicum and sometimes get hired right after their course, most don’t get hired right away. Those that don’t get hired get caught in the unfortunate position of “if you don’t use it you lose it “, or maybe do get hired but aren’t given proper training based on their learning level.
Pros
Great wages, benefits, flexible schedule, able to pick up shifts
Cons
Click groups of staff
While working with Alberta Health Services I noticed a great amount of team work, communication and leadership. Over All my experience was something I look forward to being a part of full time one day.
Alberta Health Services is a great employer. They strive to make the workday both enjoyable and challenging for each employee. I have great job satisfaction and cannot imagine a career not in healthcare. I love helping others and am glad that I chose this as my main career.
Pros
assisting patients get through difficult times
Cons
Professional yet fun work environment. Very supportive management team and work place. Administration offers lots of opportunites for growth and advancement
I work in a confidential, health related enviroment with many time sensitive deadlines. I enjoy the people I work with and visit with the public as time permits in my role of registering paitents to see the nurse practioner. I conduct hand hygiene audits in 4 locations quarterly.
Pros
job security
Cons
work area is extremely warm in summer months
I have learned a lot over the last few years working as a unit clerk. Its fun, interesting. You get to work beside doctors and nurses. Sometimes they can be rude, but you just deal with it and keep doing the job. Non stop police, fire fighters, STARS and EMS. You get to see a lot of scary stuff.
I have the best time here. The atmosphere is great and I love my jobs. I interact with the patients and I have made a lot of friends. I recommend volunteering with AHS.
Pros
Free beverages
Cons
They are a great company to work for, they take care of the employees and provide feedback and training where it is needed. I like working for Alberta Health Services.
I have always loved my job at Alberta Health Services. I love the work, great staff. I would recommend working for Alberta Health Services to anyone that asked me.