Alberta Health Services logo
Alberta Health Services

Alberta Health Services Employee Reviews for Senior Administrative Assistant

Work-life balance

Pay is great

Good wages and benefits. Permanent employees over 20 hours/week have access to Pension, RRSP, Personal Days off and Health Spending Account. Unfortunately, permanent full-time vacancies are uncommon now, leaving departments to work shorthanded in the name of cost-cutting. I’ve worked with AHS for almost 4 years, interviewed for about 10 permanent full-time positions during that time, but ended up working in a series of temporary and casual contracts. With the implementation of ConnectCare, fewer Admins will be needed to cope with the currently cumbersome workload.

Management çan be rather self-absorbed and tend to forget the sversge Albertan pays their salaries.

Upper management more interested in their self-importance. They provide little towards the goal of excellent care for all Albertans. There are too many levels of management and this structure needs to be trimmed ans.

Pros

salaries

Cons

Overcompensated management who clog thev system with unimaginative and useless protocols.

Fun place to work at

Everyone is friendly and you can learn a lot here . There is lots of training offered and support for you. The staff are nice and are like a little work family

Salaries are good and have Union representation

Worked here for 11 years and within that time went to each wage step and when reached the last, I have yet to have an increase in wage for several years.

Awesome people to work with

Love to work for them again. Very hard to get a job with them. Will try again in the future. Typical day at work was to enter data in the computer for the new health program they have started. I enjoyed the management and have no complaints. The hardest part of the job was to continue and move ahead. Most enjoyable was the staff and customers.

Thank god there is a Union...

AHS itself isn't so bad, they have a lot of programs to help you out if need be. However, management was terrible. They don't care whatsoever about their employees and ultimately is the reason I want to leave.

Great People

Great people to work with, hard to advance if just starting out. Love the work load, people, and management, also has a really great pay with great shift differentials

Pros

Good Pay

Cons

Hard Advancement

Always a New Day

There is no real flow to the days of working in AHS. The days are varied as are the patients that you see. This is a job for someone who likes to have variety and wants top avoid doing the same job over and over again. You can honestly feel that you are making a difference in the lives of your patients. Helping them get the care that they need, helping them find a doctor or a loved one, this is a job that is ideal for someone who loves people. However, there are always cons. You are always on call, vacation or not, staffing may be calling you, and there is always a potential for drama. And, as the days are always different, there is no structure to your days. However, the pay is good as is the benefits, and you always make a difference in the lives of people.

Pros

Good pay and benefits

Cons

Long hours, on call

Amazing Co-Workers

Some days can be very busy, others quite slow but either way I love working for Alberta Health Services. Management is top-notch, one of the best I've ever worked with. The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing I've actually made a difference in someone's life

Pros

the confidence derived from a job well done

Cons

Not enough hours

Striving to help clients and keeping them healthy

Typical day at work consists of greeting clients, booking appointments and prepping charts. Liaising with the clients and understanding their needs. Assisting nurses with clients profile and referrals if needed.

Jobs at Alberta Health Services

Senior Administrative Assistant positions
See more jobs

Professional and excellent place to work

Clerical duties in computer and managenment of private documents. Use of differents tecnology programs. Send letters to patients. Transcription of information.

Lots of opportunities within AHS

Although I mostly liked my job as an administrative support, it was a very demanding job with a heavy workload... in fact, too much for one person. AHS never wanted to spend the money to pay for a second position. Instead, they would rather pay ridiculous amounts of money to some idiot from Australia to become CEO (someone that knows nothing about our healthcare system). I learned the hard way that I was not able to do the job of two people, and eventually had a mental breakdown.

Pros

Many job opportunities, unionized, and good benefits.

Cons

Management is tight with the budget and won't spend money in the right places.

Favorite Employment

Always exciting at work, busy work environment. Great working with nursing and professional staff. Hardest part of the job was leaving to pursue a new career in sales and advertising. I wanted to branch out and try something completely new. I miss it everyday.

Pros

Assisting people seeking services at work and throughout the community

Cons

Restructuring, Unionized and non-unionized environment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Alberta Health Services. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6Job security/advancement