Alberta Health Services logo
Alberta Health Services

Alberta Health Services Employee Reviews for Mental Health Technician

Work-life balance

A good place to live, work, learn and grow as a professional and a community member

Excellent leadership culture exists here. However, it is a highly unionized clinical environment. There is a work-life-family balance. Job security is assured, salary package isn't bad but could be better especially for managers since they are 'Out of Scope' and no union to fight for them in terms of benefits. Job culture is great as it remains zero tolerance to workplace bully and the like.

Top Employer

As AHS values compassion, accountability, respect, excellence, and safety – are at the heart of everything that we do. AHS is one of the top places to work with and grow your career goals.

Supportive team.

I worked for Alberta health services for almost 20 years under different names. Example capital health etc. I believe that it is a good learning environment, and the teams were very supportive.

Pros

We had a clinical supervisor on site.

Cons

n/a

Good Employer

I was very fortunate to have good supervisors. They understood work and life balance and encouraged their employees to ensure they were healthy (body/soul/mind).

Excellent Organization

As a Mental Health Therapist, this organization has been a tremendous help in developing my competency as I continue my practice. They offer excellent training and opportunities to assist families that need it most.

Great work environment with a fabulous team of mental health therapists and addictions counsellors

We have lots of fun together and there's lots of laughter to be had. Ongoing education is encouraged, appreciated and valued. Team spirit is awesome. The hardest part of this job is closing files on clients who are not ready for change in their lives, but I love that they are always welcome back. Each enrollment gives us a chance to help. The best part- besides the crew I work with- sharing of experience, knowledge and resources- is when a client comes to an appointment and reveals that the changes they have chosen have made a positive difference for them.

Great place to work with decent wages.

Working at AHS has been an enjoyable experience. From management to the employees, I have had nothing but great things to say about it. I have gained knowledge in various positions through my 14 years of employment.

dedicated staff

positive staff dedicated to client wellness, staff like to have fun and joke in meetings and in some staff activities, responsive management, doesn't always take a long time to make changes, skilled and informed staff overall

Pros

going out for lunch, team building

Cons

mainly following a medical model

Good place to work, fun workplace culture and morale

open management, open to creative and innovative developments, supportive, collaborative, some staff social activities are found to be very positive. Staff are good to work with. Changing management model indicates some uncertainty for future direction. Overall very positive experience!

Pros

no weekend work

Fair

Company is overall a good company to work for. The shift work makes for having quite a few days off in a row which is good for work/life balance. Fair salary.

Pros

n/a

Cons

n/a

Great life lessons and learning

I have nothing but good things to say about AHS: they are unionize, pay well, hours are fair. Coworkers very friendly: most ppl worked great as a team.

Pros

Good pay, unionized, smart coworkers

Cons

Patients can be stressful, hard to become an employee initially

Educational

A good place to work good people and great hours weekends off

Pros

Company car

Cons

stressful

productive and supportive

I work in a team that is enthusiastic and supportive to each other and the clientele we serve. it is varied and crisis orientated. The hardest part of the job sometimes is letting clients know that sometimes you cannot do anything fro them apart form listen and advise. It is a very autonomous position with active support from management. The most enjoyable part of the job is the unpredictability of assessments which helps me keep fresh and up to date with current evidence based practices and and clinical knowledge

very rewarding work

Excellent training ground in therapeutic modalities working with children and families.

Pros

very rewarding

Cons

very heavy case loads with complex patients

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Alberta Health Services. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6Job security/advancement