Alberta Health Services logo
Alberta Health Services

Alberta Health Services Employee Reviews for Licensed Practical Nurse

Work-life balance

Small town rural location

Small town rural location with a good international team, team nursing oriented, with dynamic and a vast array of patient diagnoses. An excellentstarting point for any nurse. Some limitations on the location and access to care/education

N/a

although the job opportunities are few and far between at the moment, it is well worth the effort and wait. AHS is a great company to work for. Excellent team members, fair wage and benefits

Fun work environment

Lots of management support, Overall its a great fun fast paced environment that challenges me everyday, I wouldn't chose any other job. Really enjoy it here

Ahs

Fast paced at times . Too much management and lack of support from them . A lot of labor and delivery . Most of the time LPN will Only have medical .

Management needed an overhaul.

When I worked there, my immediate nursing supervisor terminated my employment even though I had hurt myself during an orientation shift on her unit (this initiated a very small - 3h WCB claim). I tried to explain this to HER supervisor and I was ignored. Three months later, said immediate supervisor was fired. Now I am blacklisted within AHS & will likely never obtain work there again.

Licensed Practical Nurse

Management was organized and nurses were kept up to date regarding procedures and skills. Although hospital politics did show up at work co-workers were generally friendly and willing to assist with patient care and wellbeing

unhealthy place to work

Very stressful environment -the physical demand plus the emotional stress working in a high ratio of nurse to patients is not commensurate to our pay rate. Very high turn over rate, no job security.

A good employer.

Overall this is a well-managed healthcare institution although there are plenty of aspects that needs improvement. Patient is always the center of care.

This facility gives a good opportunity to get good experience.

This facility gives a good opportunity for the beginners to get good experience.Alberta health services provide good in service education to improve staff knowledge and standards of care . Also they give importance to the clients and staff safety.This is one of the best employer in the province.

Highly recommended work setting

Productive, friendly, vast place to work with enormous learning opportunities and trainings. Very professional management and Highly recommended work setting.

Jobs at Alberta Health Services

Licensed Practical Nurse positions
See more jobs

Great Place to work

This is an awesome environment where learning is a continuous thing. There is no dull moment as you get to help and support people. My highlight of the day is the smile on people faces.

toxic work environment

I worked for AHS for over a year and was part of a union which was less than helpful during my probation period. I was bullied as an employee from day one by a senior nurse and felt very uncomfortable coming to work because it felt like I was in high school all over again. I know I was not the only one and that others felt the same too. Put a complaint into the manager who did very little about it. The environment was toxic and there is a table behind the desk where all these women sit around and gossip about each other, rude comments about sister units and the individuals that worked on the other side. I had anxiety coming to work which caused me stress while I was working which made me have a foggy mind during work. too bad because i really liked the position but the environment killed it for me.

Pros

lots of hours

Cons

too many patients not enough time to spend and thoroughly assess

I feel there are to many management positions within Alberta Health services and it is all about who you know to further your career. Although I enjoy the work and the people that I work with,caring for others can give you a great rewarding feeling .

Rural Nursing

Best experience and best job opportunities within AHS are in rural settings, highly recommend new nurses to get experience in these settings. Wish there were more incentives like cheap parking or even available staff parking for big city center hospitals for people that want to commute the distance to work in the bigger centers.

Cons

Very Competitive for Job Application

I learn something knew in the field of Psychiatric Nursing care and my co-workers are a great team to work with. This is for me a very good work environment and there will always be something new to learn and experience.

Great organization

Great place to work and learn. Fabulous staff. Plenty of opportunites. Diverse work environment which makes going to work fun. Reasonable salary and hours provided.

To be a nurse can be hard but can also be very rewarding at the same time.

A typical day at work can be busy. Lots of vital signs, medication administrations, dressing changes, bedside care, ceiling lifts, caring for orthopedic patients post op, caring for confused patient post op fracture, IV starts, Catheter inserts/removal, etc. In between the chaos, you really learn to work with your time management and organization skills (and sometimes called as "organized chaos") Workplace culture is pretty good and is dependent on every unit to be honest. Healthcare staffs are fun to work with. Most staff I have worked with demonstrate teamwork and professional. Jobs can get stressful, but at the end of the day, I am grateful for having such a wonderful team--- my work family. Hardest Part is being affected mentally and emotionally with patient you have gotten to know and patient having a negative outcome. Most enjoyable part of the job is being a nurse, caring for patients, and working with your team

Pros

Wage increase based on hours worked. Benefits, Sick hours assigned to you, Supportive Management, Teamwork and Professionalism

Cons

Long Hours, Short Staffed most of the times, Challenging assignments, Can affect you emotionally and mentally.

Standard Job

Depending on which unit you get, you can have the time if your life or have a difficult time. Management seems to be so-so throughout but they’re constantly pulled in many directions and squeezed from up top. All in all they train you well for your position and do let you move units quite easily too.

A respectable work place.

Alberta Health Services, was a respectable work place with wonderful management and the team had great work ethics. The co-act way with white bored and bedside shift report is a very good way to get a rapport with your patients.

Productive and fast paced

I love working for the alberta childrens hospital! I thoroughly enjoy working with the interdisciplinary team in order to provide the best care for my patients. Always learning new things.

great

it is great working here......................everyone's very helpful and there is lots to learn here ........ its quite fast paced here ........I learned a lot here

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Alberta Health Services. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6Job security/advancement