Alberta Health Services logo
Alberta Health Services
Happiness score is 68 out of 100Average

Alberta Health Services Employee Reviews for Health Care Aide in Grande Prairie, AB

Good but underfunded

Working as a health care aide is extremely challenging but rewarding AHS has good values but due to government funding I believe there is understaffing issues

Thorough

Questioning are appropriate for job description. Working for several years with Alberta Health Services has been good to me overall.I would recommend employment with them as a secure career.

Don't appreciate their health care aides

October 18th is health care aide day, not one card, gift or even a pat on the back from the management. Nurses week is full of games and prizes, baked goods and fun. so if you are a nurse this is a great workplace for you, if you are a HCA stay far away from this company. They act like you are a very valuable member and would help you out in anyway. This is far from true, don't ever feel like you can get help from them for anything. The pay is horrible, most of the HCAs have to work 2 jobs to afford to live. Nurses get full time, HCAs get part time. The only thing that keeps the HCAs sane is the union. You have to use all of your vacation every year, most of your vacation requests will get denied, if you don't use the hours up then they will book your vacation for you. Hurting yourself at a client, submitted safety reports along with other HCAs complaining of the same, instead of trying to fix the problem they shove it under the rug and ask if you want to be re-trained there by anther co-worker, not every single HCA has had that same problem as you so it must be something that you are doing wrong, not the situation. The clients are honestly the best part about the job, well the only good part. Go work for a different company, anywhere will appreciate you more, I promise.

Pros

amazing clients

Cons

the management, pay, hours, appreciation

Patient's and family appreciate what you do for them

Poor management and very stressful place to work with favortism and bullying to the point where you can't work and have to be on stress leave. Even after working for Alberta health Services for yrs.

Pros

Family appreciating

Cons

Too many favorites and not being treated equal

Fun, Fast pace environment is needed

A typical day at work involves fun,upbeat team of people who constantly work together. I constantly learn new things while working however i have learned that the most important thing about this job is how much you care about your clients or residents. I enjoy the amount of cultural diversity between staff and clients or residents and getting to learn about it. The hardest part of my job is making a connection with people and not being able to become attached The most enjoyable part if my job is knowing no matter what i do for my clients it makes them happy, and sometimes makes them feel like a person again. The best thing is their satisfaction with me.

Jobs at Alberta Health Services