Alberta Health Services logo
Alberta Health Services

Alberta Health Services Employee Reviews for Health Care Aide

Work-life balance

A good place to work with good benefits and salary.

I worked for Alberta Health Services for 10 years, Employees are encouraged to keep up to date with education in their field of work. Management is approachable if you have any questions.

Productive educational and amazing place to work

Productive educational and amazing place to work.I have been actively employed at AHS as a health care aid enjoy every moment of it .They provide lots of education and respect from coworkers clients and management. I continue to excel in my workInterest and requirements on a yearly basis .AHS Has been my full-time employment for the last eight years and four months

Pros

Awesome place to work

Cons

No cons to report

Challenging and rewarding

I work with residents that have dementia and Alzheimer’s which is a challenge. It’s a challenge when I give them direction and they don’t follow and I have to get them to understand to what you want them to do. Another challenge is to have patience when residents ring every few minutes when I’m with another resident. There is always a chance to learn how to get round these challenges.Thank goodness I have a partner to work with through these challenges. The other thing I’m thankful for is the laughs that are shared with the residents. When we can make them laugh there is a connection on a fun level that is so rewarding.

Pros

Support from staff

Cons

Challenges for communication

I was proud to say I worked for Alberta Health Services

When I was employed by AHS , that particular facility could have used some improvement in the management department, which it was starting to get when I left there. Other than that, the residents were great, my coworkers were awesome to work with (some more than others, lol) , and I really enjoyed going to work everyday.

Excellent

AHS provide a wide variety of experiences to their employees,Giving them the necessary experience for them to gain additional knowledge as they go along,They treat their employees well,providing them with the best and make them feel that they are an integral part of the company's mission.They have genuine interest in people they manage and create an environment for a greater growth

Pros

Greater opportunity for growth

Cons

Not open for suggestion

Thorough

Questioning are appropriate for job description. Working for several years with Alberta Health Services has been good to me overall.I would recommend employment with them as a secure career.

Good but underfunded

Working as a health care aide is extremely challenging but rewarding AHS has good values but due to government funding I believe there is understaffing issues

Fair, Productive and fun environment

Great staff to have as co- workers, management was awesome! loved the resident very rewarding job and great environment. Great practices compared to other facilities I have worked in especially privately owned ones. Nursing staff is very attentive when a health care aide needs assistance.

Stressfull and unforgiving

One of the most rewarding careers and I love every minute of it. However, Alberta Health Services needs to seriously shake up some management and listen to the FRONT LINE workers. This job is fast paced, physically and mentally demanding. Staff do not recieve enough support and the support that is provided is difficult to aquire. Our amazing staff are burnt out from working short staffed 16 hours a day/ 7 days a week with no thanks, but from our suffering patients. Patients that are suffering needlessly due to short staffing ratios, limited supplies, and poor quality care. I have never worked in a single work place with as many Short and Long term Disability/ WCB claims. They act like they push safety for all, but staff really falls to the wayside in order to accomplish all the delegated tasks. The job has become less about the wonderful people we care for and more about paperwork and how the facility looks for the audit. Truely Heartbreaking.

Too many managers

•To many Managers; not enough front line workers •Overworked due to being short all the time •Consistently made to feel inadequate especially when you are working short •Poor attitudes due to being burnt out •NOT ENOUGH FRONT LINE STAFF FOR ER, ACTIVE, LTC OR DSL UNITS.

Jobs at Alberta Health Services

Health Care Aide positions
See more jobs

Challenging

As a health care aide, I knew what I was signing up for; skills NorQuest College prepared me to know and practice. After working for Alberta Health Services, there are some skills that is required for health care aides to do, and they were skills that are below our scope of practice. Some of these skills for example are Cleaning tables, toilets, rooms, doing the laundry and restocking supplies and linen. Although these skills are quite easy, and I see the importance of them, it made working as a health care aide feel unsatisfying. It depleted my motivation to work as a health care aide and motivated me to get my practical nurse diploma. I personally just want to get as much experience and involvement with patient care, assessments, treatments, patient teachings, team collaboration, medication administration, and more nursing skills.

Don't appreciate their health care aides

October 18th is health care aide day, not one card, gift or even a pat on the back from the management. Nurses week is full of games and prizes, baked goods and fun. so if you are a nurse this is a great workplace for you, if you are a HCA stay far away from this company. They act like you are a very valuable member and would help you out in anyway. This is far from true, don't ever feel like you can get help from them for anything. The pay is horrible, most of the HCAs have to work 2 jobs to afford to live. Nurses get full time, HCAs get part time. The only thing that keeps the HCAs sane is the union. You have to use all of your vacation every year, most of your vacation requests will get denied, if you don't use the hours up then they will book your vacation for you. Hurting yourself at a client, submitted safety reports along with other HCAs complaining of the same, instead of trying to fix the problem they shove it under the rug and ask if you want to be re-trained there by anther co-worker, not every single HCA has had that same problem as you so it must be something that you are doing wrong, not the situation. The clients are honestly the best part about the job, well the only good part. Go work for a different company, anywhere will appreciate you more, I promise.

Pros

amazing clients

Cons

the management, pay, hours, appreciation

Steady work

work is guaranteed once you get a postion, but they are hard to get on with but once you are on your golden lots of oppurnities to learn new skills on the job

Hello

Review of hospital setting is good. Vacation is important for anyone and they strongly encourage it which is great. I hope to excel further with this type of work.

All about the money

Its about keeping them out of the hospital and in their homes, but come on.......do the tasks, get out and onto the next one. No time with patient, no time for empathy/comfort.....it is all about the tasks. No care plans being updated, progress notes get ignored. It is NOT about the patient. Shame on you, AHC!!!!

Pros

Cons

Too many to list.

Patient's and family appreciate what you do for them

Poor management and very stressful place to work with favortism and bullying to the point where you can't work and have to be on stress leave. Even after working for Alberta health Services for yrs.

Pros

Family appreciating

Cons

Too many favorites and not being treated equal

overall experience

AHS was overall a fantastic company to work with. You had plenty of training, support from management, open communication, great balance between work and personal life, and a great team to work with. I liked that the clients needs were also a huge priority and any concerns I had about a resident, the management would take care of it right away and address all concerns.

I like the team effort

I find it enjoyable to sit and talk to the elderly and them and their family. After awhile it's like they become a part of your own family, It's like having two separate families,

Terrible Management

The management is terrible, Do not address your concerns. Treat you like second class nobodies. Was told Health Care aides are not important. Retirement is getting closer will be glad to leave.

Productive, fun company to work

always given opportunity to learn and grow wonderful coworkers exciting fast paced environments understanding management welcoming environment genuine management staff who care about their employees and clients

good

daily care of elders , cleaning duties and daily charting duties. deal with vistiors and family, assist in entertainment and activies for clients..

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Alberta Health Services. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6Job security/advancement