Alberta Health Services

Alberta Health Services Pay & benefits reviews: Administrative Assistant

Best job I have had. I was fortunate and had a great boss. Good job security. Union package, health benefits package Opportunity for advancement. Training opportunities
Pros
Salary, health benefits
Cons
Stressful
Is you can get in with AHS, you have a career til you retire. You won't get paid as much elsewhere for the same type of work. The pay is definitely worth it alone.
Benefits/Salary/Pension are all fair. Comfortable and safe work environment. Staffing shortages can often make the job stressful yet manageable. Overall great job and lots of opportunities for advancements or moving around and trying new things.
Job benefits and salary are good, all Unit clerks/secretary positions are part time or casual. Very hard to get a full time position. Overall rating is excellent.
Pros
Excellent job security
Cons
Not enough hours
The salary and benefits are very enticing and at first I loved working for AHS; however, that quickly changed. I have worked for different departments within AHS and have found all of them to have the same problems. To advance in the organization you have to be willing to play the political game. I have seen so many people without the qualifications get pushed into another role that they simply aren't qualified for. It is frustrating as I know others who met these qualifications did not get those positions or even an opportunity at them. Also, management will likely micro-manage you. If I didn't respond to every single e-mail then I apparently wasn't doing my job. Unless you're in the healthcare field I do not suggest AHS to anyone. It is a horrible organization that endorses bullying and harassment.
Pros
Wage
Cons
Everything else
Decent pay, low morale. A low stress work environment that could be handled by most people. Regular daliy routine of 8-4, no stress about work not being completed but next to no motivators.
I have worked at AHS for about 4 years. I support a team of approximately 25 people. I am encouraged by leadership to take courses via internal education methods to expand my knowledge. The workplace culture is very divided. Lower level employees have a great camaraderie but leadership has a hard time fitting in with their people. They do not engage nor do they support their groups. I enjoy the people I work with but I do not enjoy the monotony that is endured.
Pros
Good salary and lots of opportunity to move around
Cons
Management do not support workers, political environment, excessive meetings and everything is "processed" to death
Working for Alberta Health Services has provided me with a great career and opportunity for advancement in the health care field as well as they provide great benefits/wages.
Pros
Good work hours and wages
Cons
need for more in-house management
Alberta health services is a great place to work, staff are excellent. There is opportunity to move up within your field if you choose. They have a great benefits package.
Pros
Benefits, pension
I work as an administrative assistant. There is room for growth within AHS. They offer great benefits if you work a .40 FTE or higher, with blue cross benefits and additional flex spending credits. AHS encourages professional and personal growth, offering bursaries if you take education related to health care. A typical day at work includes registering upwards of 100 patients for emergency, lab, x ray, physio, OR or other departments.
Excellent education programs available Benefits are good Job Description is very specific Staff are very customer service oriented Patient Family Centred care is the focus
Pros
Job Description is very specific
Cons
Permanent Employment Status-very competitive to reach as a goal
Learned so many new software as Executive Assistant to Senior/Executive level management. The job is satisfactory but not something that would open doors to a lot of opportunities.
Pros
good salary
Cons
hours are not ideal for people with kids
Excellent work environment. Fast paced and challenging work setting with great management team. Great opportunities and experience in the health care industry. Professional and well mannered setting.
Pros
Great pay, living allowance and benefits.
Cons
Far from family.
I truly enjoyed my career with AHS. I had excellent mentors, incredible opportunities for education and professional growths. As well as great benefits and pension plans. I think it is an excellent choice for anyone who wants to work in the Public Sector in a role full of constant change.
Pros
Enabling, independant yet team driven environment
Cons
There is a lot of time sensitive issues so overtime is often a must.
HR is a joke. The union does not stand up for employees. Overtime is mandatory and not compensated very often. Often doctors are a pleasure to work for.
Pros
Not many
Amazing people work at AHS! They are truly dedicated to finding better ways of making you better. The hard part is the public doesn't get a chance to hear or see what is really going on. I do truly belive they would be impressed with all of the things going on behind the sceens. We may not be on the front line, but our goal is the same, to give every Albertan the best health care in the world.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Too many projects on the go.
A lot of fun and great working conditions. My positions had a lot of team support.
Pros
Excellent wages and benefits
Cons
Expensive paking