Alberta Health Services logo
Happiness score is 65 out of 100Average

Alberta Health Services Employee Reviews in Red Deer, AB

Work-life balance

Pay is great

Good wages and benefits. Permanent employees over 20 hours/week have access to Pension, RRSP, Personal Days off and Health Spending Account. Unfortunately, permanent full-time vacancies are uncommon now, leaving departments to work shorthanded in the name of cost-cutting. I’ve worked with AHS for almost 4 years, interviewed for about 10 permanent full-time positions during that time, but ended up working in a series of temporary and casual contracts. With the implementation of ConnectCare, fewer Admins will be needed to cope with the currently cumbersome workload.

Great place to learn a variety of skills

I have been here since I graduated and not one day is ever the same. Fast paced environment. Great team work and communication is essential to success.

Challenging

Very busy Large portfolio Great staff Open to change environment Team players Collaboration between nurses and doctors is great Trying new initiatives is always welcomed and supported

Float unit clerk in fast paced environments.

I love being a unit clerk. I enjoy going where the need is to help out a unit and perform my job to the best of my ability. We can be very busy with admissions, discharges, transfers and post op patients, let alone the orders we process on the unit. In the clinics you're checking patients in, making sure the proper information is available for their appointment, re booking appointments or surgeries and always being kind, professional and helpful.

Pros

co workers are usually awesome

Fast paced and competitive

very good place to work, however very competitive for positions, don't take into account seniority and experience. Working as a casual is great however someday the uncertainty of hours is concerning. A lot of politics in healthcare, but overall great team environment

unhealthy place to work

Very stressful environment -the physical demand plus the emotional stress working in a high ratio of nurse to patients is not commensurate to our pay rate. Very high turn over rate, no job security.

Diverse and fast paced work environment.

Somewhat physically demanding, shifts available around the clock. Lots of hours available if your are a casual employee that is reliable and punctual.

Hard to find work sometimes, but great integration into work once hired. Good orientation program. Lots of variety of areas to work. Great pay, but no benefits for casual staff.

Okay place to work if all you want is a paycheque

Okay place to work, if you even halfway do your job you will seldom see your manager. Probably one of the most disorganized and management heavy places I have ever worked. They seem to always be able to find money to create new management positions , or to give themselves raises. For instance on their statement of remuneration you will see a vice president who made $273,215.90 in salary and $39,434.77 worth of benefits in 2015 go to making $454,876.83 In salary and $64,274.22 worth of benefits in 2016 and, as of 2018 his job title still hasn't changed. Tell me how these outrageous raises are justified and yet the budget for maintenance keeps shrinking even though the buildings keep getting older. The directors are more concerned with making their paperwork look good on graphs and charts then they are about actually putting systems in place to help you get maintenance done at the facility. The benefits although everyone thinks that they are good actually suck. Among other things the dental rate chart must be from back in the 90s as the rates that they cover 80% of, are nowhere close to what the dentist actually charges. The portion covered for things like orthotic inserts for your boots, chiropractic, massage and Eyeglasses are also not anywhere near what you will spend on these items. The problem is that the benefits probably won't get much better because there are too many low paying jobs at AHS where the employees would rather see $0.25 an hour on their cheque rather than better benefits. They do have sick time which is a nice benefit to have when you need it. -

Pros

Stable job

Cons

Very top heavy, benefits need improved, union that doesnt care

Terrible

If you are not under management’s wing, you will work very hard with no appreciation! Do not ever expect a job review or promotion - it’s non existant!

Jobs at Alberta Health Services

in Red Deer, AB
See more jobs

Interesting and fun introduction to a hospital workplace atmosphere.

Two hour shifts that give insight to what a career in the hospital would be like. Feeling of accomplishment knowing that the work you do is helping patients and their families in their time of need.

Pros

Fun and Exciting

Cons

Some aspects of certain jobs entail being comfortable with getting dirty and seeing intense sights

Productive, positive work environment

AHS is a great company to work for. Always room to advance personal skills and knowledge and further your career. Job security with a permanent position a great asset.

Pros

job security

Cons

management

Challenges your mind

I have always liked my job at AHS. It has variety, working on the computer, calling staff to fill shifts, discussing strategies with the manger, etc. The most enjoyable part of the job is talking with people. The hardest part of the job is adjusting staff schedules and negotiating with the staff to get hot spots areas of the staffing needs filled.

Pros

Very good benefits

The job as great. Cultural diversity was agressive

I really appreciate the integrity if the environmental services department. Management was very aware of the staff and overseeing a job done timely and effectively.

Pros

Knowledge of health and safety was a must

Secured Job, Good Benefits

Good workplace, safety of the employee is one of the priority' Every week we have safety meeting to refresh all the employee how to work safe and not to get injured.

Great place to work with decent wages.

Working at AHS has been an enjoyable experience. From management to the employees, I have had nothing but great things to say about it. I have gained knowledge in various positions through my 14 years of employment.

Great co worker

I really enjoyed my time are AHS. The management could have been a little better , there could have been more training. Hours of work were great. I would recommend anyone to work there.

Pros

Co workers

Cons

Some management

Very productive company

Alberta Health Services provides best benefits for their employees. Ensuring staff is competent in performing duties and responsibilities by providing training and education sessions to grow and develop. It is the best place to be!

Great staff to work with, very busy

Lots of learning opportunities, staff for the most part are team orientated and care for their patients, supplies readily available, hard to watch long term patients deteriorate with no form of rec therapy

Pros

union, camraderie

Cons

Awesome company to work for

I loved working for Alberta health services, great benefits, caring coworkers, management is great. all round healthy atmosphere to work in. typical day start in the morning checking and sending emails, filing and pulling files. At times taking notes in meetings and the odd travel day to the city for conferences.

Pros

good hours, great pay, caring company

Cons

I learn something knew in the field of Psychiatric Nursing care and my co-workers are a great team to work with. This is for me a very good work environment and there will always be something new to learn and experience.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Alberta Health Services. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6Job security/advancement