Alberta Health Services

Alberta Health Services Employee Reviews in Grande Prairie, AB

Excellent leadership culture exists here. However, it is a highly unionized clinical environment. There is a work-life-family balance. Job security is assured, salary package isn't bad but could be better especially for managers since they are 'Out of Scope' and no union to fight for them in terms of benefits. Job culture is great as it remains zero tolerance to workplace bully and the like.
Questioning are appropriate for job description. Working for several years with Alberta Health Services has been good to me overall.I would recommend employment with them as a secure career.
Great learning opportunity as a RN to work in various settings. Education opportunities are available more in cities not in GP that much. Staff works as a great team.
Pros
Learning
Cons
Stress is high
Working as a health care aide is extremely challenging but rewarding AHS has good values but due to government funding I believe there is understaffing issues
a fairly good place to work for. mangers are understanding and work with you. most of the co workers a good to work with. they try to give you the work you need.
October 18th is health care aide day, not one card, gift or even a pat on the back from the management. Nurses week is full of games and prizes, baked goods and fun. so if you are a nurse this is a great workplace for you, if you are a HCA stay far away from this company. They act like you are a very valuable member and would help you out in anyway. This is far from true, don't ever feel like you can get help from them for anything. The pay is horrible, most of the HCAs have to work 2 jobs to afford to live. Nurses get full time, HCAs get part time. The only thing that keeps the HCAs sane is the union. You have to use all of your vacation every year, most of your vacation requests will get denied, if you don't use the hours up then they will book your vacation for you. Hurting yourself at a client, submitted safety reports along with other HCAs complaining of the same, instead of trying to fix the problem they shove it under the rug and ask if you want to be re-trained there by anther co-worker, not every single HCA has had that same problem as you so it must be something that you are doing wrong, not the situation. The clients are honestly the best part about the job, well the only good part. Go work for a different company, anywhere will appreciate you more, I promise.
Pros
amazing clients
Cons
the management, pay, hours, appreciation
Have been working for Alberta Heath services for over 10 years and has always been a great fun learning environment to work in. Lots of great people and staff to be around
Poor management and very stressful place to work with favortism and bullying to the point where you can't work and have to be on stress leave. Even after working for Alberta health Services for yrs.
Pros
Family appreciating
Cons
Too many favorites and not being treated equal
AHS itself isn't so bad, they have a lot of programs to help you out if need be. However, management was terrible. They don't care whatsoever about their employees and ultimately is the reason I want to leave.
A good environment to learn and grow in. Equipment is well maintained. Good start for single or those who have the ability to work 24 hour shifts away from home. Pay is excellent
This review comes from over 10 years of experience with Alberta Health Services. The organization claims to have a patient centered model but I can speak directly in opposition to this, Alberta Health Services is clearly a budget centered operation. Management practices favor budgets over staff health and safety, several departments are non-compliant with new changes in Occupational Health & Safety legislation because the cost would be too high. Work life balance is a joke and if you use sick time you are placed on attendance awareness.
Pros
They pay on time
Cons
Management, Benefits, Worklife Balance
Busy atmosphere, excellent working environment with a strong sense of department bonding. I have worked in several departments as a casual employee and always felt I was making a difference.
I love working for Alberta health services. They have excellent benefits and are very accommodating and attentive. I have worked here just over a year now and i am a very happy employee.
I have never worked with AHS. However, I have enjoyed my learning through this institute during my placement as a student. This would be a place where one would enjoy their employment.
I have learned a lot over the last few years working as a unit clerk. Its fun, interesting. You get to work beside doctors and nurses. Sometimes they can be rude, but you just deal with it and keep doing the job. Non stop police, fire fighters, STARS and EMS. You get to see a lot of scary stuff.
Overall, good place to work. Good wage and benefits package. Good union (HSAA). Downside is that AHS is so huge, getting anything completed can take forever. Sometimes cannot get rid of bad employees due to union protection. Too many superfluous positions. High quality instrumentation and many opportunities for learning free of charge. The best: wage and instruments The worst: omnibus nature and inefficiency.
I do administrative support,maintenance, technical support for AHS. The job pay's well. However, there is no opportunity for growth or advancement. Hardest part of the job is working in a solo environment while micro managing dozens of tasks that require daily upkeep. Most enjoyable part of the job is the freedom of independence.
Pros
Great Pay
Cons
No room for advancement
A typical day at work involves fun,upbeat team of people who constantly work together. I constantly learn new things while working however i have learned that the most important thing about this job is how much you care about your clients or residents. I enjoy the amount of cultural diversity between staff and clients or residents and getting to learn about it. The hardest part of my job is making a connection with people and not being able to become attached The most enjoyable part if my job is knowing no matter what i do for my clients it makes them happy, and sometimes makes them feel like a person again. The best thing is their satisfaction with me.
Excellent work culture. Motivating and helping colleagues. Support for education and training. Leaves on pre approval. Best salary in the area. Job stability.
Work in a team oriented environment with various designations. Responsible for doing constants and working on multiple floors within the hospital setting.
I had a wonderful time during the last 5 and half years with AHS managers were very involved my co-workers were amazing and very helpful very informative
Pros
great campany to work for, great benefits lots of room to grow
Cons
long hrs