Alberta Health Services

Alberta Health Services Employee Reviews in Calgary, AB

In general, a well organized workplace with numerous opportunities in a variety of nursing fields, lots of lateral mobility to try different areas of nursing and plenty of flexibility for casual, part time, temporary, or full time work. A generally collaborative and team-based environment.
Although I've been away from AHS for over a year due to illness, it is my strongest wish to rejoin AHS as they are fantastic and make work a true joy!
Pros
understanding, open minded, forward thinking, helpful, courteous and fun people
Cons
the only one ever are people that show up but don't want to put in the effort!
Depends where you are working within AHS. The departments tht I have worked, Department of paediatric at AB Children’s hospital was the only place I felt had toxic environment.
Pros
Opportunities to learn and grow
Cons
Favouritism
Working at the children’s hospital is very rewarding. Awesome staff that have compassion and empathy. Salaries need to be reviewed and increased to of keep up with cost of living.
Pros
Personal feeling of accomplishment
Cons
Not paid enough for length of service.
From the moment you enter this environment, you feel the negativity surrounding you. No training, nasty people to work with, lots of anger and resentment towards others in this work environment. I wouldn't recommend this place to my enemies.
Pros
Cons
Long hours, expectations to work overtime without being paid for it. Time and time again this is the situation.
Some departments in HR are blantant with nepotism, hiring friends at top of pay scales, giving raises despite a salary freeze, etc. It's great if you're the person who is besties with the leader. Star talent leaves the organization because of no opportunity to grow. It's great if you are in a unionized position. Better pay and someone to actually fight for you when management tries shady things.
Pros
Work life balance, opportunity to grow depending on who you know
Cons
Poor pay if you join in a non-union position.
Although there are pockets of good work being done under the radar most of the crucial work that needs to happen regarding streamlining operations for long-term care, better patient experience, innovation does not happen. Most people are given promotion depending on the longevity of their stay rather than merit and very much based on nepotism. The saying here is the less you do the more you talk politically the faster you rise you just need to have a constant smile in your face. The system is designed to get the results it gets and it starts with the CEO who is a political machine and has zero accountability. Alberta Health Services needs a revolution most of the employees here are given good pay and good benefits called the golden handcuffs as long as you don't create a kerfuffle you will keep climbing the ladder at the expense of patients suffering
Pros
Good pay good benefits
Cons
Least innovative, cronyism, top heavy, hierarchical, old school thinking
You do your work at your.pace and.no pressure as ling you finish all.work.Its an qutomatic routine. C- workers are not same attitude and character.Just do what you can.Some Nurses are helpful some are not. Working.must be on.prioritization. It is important to ask for.help for the safety of the patient and self..
Pros
Environmentally friendly
Cons
Not too formal.
My manager was a terrible dictator, he did work which the Union did not approve of. Get a life and do not work here, job stability, sure if you want to spend the rest of your life fighting an individual. Life is greener outside AHS. I couldn't wait to get my foot out !Stay Away !!
Pros
No Pros- Benefits in the name of taking and scraping your money from your pockets.
Cons
Benefits- fight your manager to get it, Management doesn't care how you are kicked around, Terrible Politics, work will be taken away from you, you will be made redundant.
I would say it is good place to work. Fair pay, good benefit, job secured. If you are looking for flexible job, I would highly recommended working at AHS.
Pros
Good pay, good benefit
I do not recommend anyone that has a disability of any sort to apply with AHS. There culture in the workplace is to get rid of people who have to be accommodated in the work place that have a disability. They have a documented process how they will accommodate people in the work place but have a very weak approach to obtaining any reasonable job position
Pros
Good benefits, well paid positions
Cons
Management lacks the ability to listen
Working for Alberta Health Services has been a great experience since becoming a Registered Nurse 9 years ago. I am now looking to find work as a Nurse Practitioner and would love to be able to continue working for AHS.
I was only here for three weeks, as it was a practicum position for school. Definitely enjoyed my time there though, my manager was great and I really got along with him. Definitely would tell people to apply here if they noticed any formal positions come up
Helping Patients experience is the most favorite part of my Job. Team work and support in the Office and the hours of work are also very good. Recommended.
Pros
Team Work and Support.
Is you can get in with AHS, you have a career til you retire. You won't get paid as much elsewhere for the same type of work. The pay is definitely worth it alone.
Good Work Ethic and Very Professional. Supportive Co-workers. Learnt Big time how to work within a group. And Recognize that the Strength and weaknesses of an individuals are only effective when combined into something Greater.
I worked in various administrative roles in healthcare for 30 years. It can be very rewarding. There is opportunity for advancement in some work streams.
It gives you pride as you are earning while serving Albertan's. AHS values the employee and pay decently. The team is very joyful. I feel being heard at my work place.
As a nurse, I can't imagine starting my career anywhere other than the Alberta Children's Hospital. The staff are amazing, the facility is incredible and caring for kids has been such a blessing.
Excellent place to work. However, I have changed my occupation and I am now almost finished a Masters in Counselling Psychology degree. I am hoping to work for an agency in this field.
This is a work place where we can identify our knowledge and apply this for the use of the organization. the project manager gives max freedom for ideas