Alberta Health Services logo
Alberta Health Services

Alberta Health Services Employee Reviews

No pay increases if out of scope

No step or pay increases since 2014. That’s seven years, unless you are in a unionized position. You will be working ‘for the greater good’. Good environment.

Pros

Great colleagues

Cons

No pay raises

Good place and anice peoplento work with

I enjoyed every but of the moment I spent with Alberta health Services. It is a place to work and will always to want to work with Alberta team. Nice people.

Variable but much more good than bad

This is a large employer so there are bound to be some poor experiences, but there is a reason it is so hard to get in! There are tons of chances to diversify and try new roles. People are hired for their profession and people do the job they are hired to do. The pay is good. For the most part, everyone wants to work and wants to see patients get quality care. Benefits vary by union so that can be a sore spot. There is only one bad thing about AHS. There are too many opportunities for RNs to work in leadership that isn’t related to nursing, that could be better filled by other professions. But they respect different professions and want to be efficient and effective in providing patients treatment.

Pros

You do the job you’ve been hired to do. There are lots of opportunities to try new jobs.

Cons

The ability to move into new roles makes many positions unstable and temporary.

Productivity

I am retired now but loved my years at AHS. I had routines. Management great. Culture awesome. Friendly and supportive. Polite. Training flexible. Encouraging

Pros

Complimentary

Cons

Long drive

Probably good, just not for Protective Services

Seems like a great employer, if you wear the right uniform. If you go in as a nurse or physician, you're golden. If you go in as a peace officer or security guard, it's a different story. If you go into this with the intent of being part of Protective Services, be sure you know what you're getting into. The rates of violence and injuries are very closely guarded and they wont publish what the stats are. The issued equipment, is in this weird balance of being aesthetically pleasing the senior leadership and meeting the barest standards functionality for the people using it for 12 hours a day. There's also no way for you to give feedback on your equipment, nor will you be allowed to buy your own out of pocket. You'll get 3 weeks of training as a peace officer. This is supposed to equip you with the knowledge and skills to enforce mental health, public health as well as liquor and cannabis legislation; among many other enforcement situations you will find yourself in. As a guard, you'll get 40 hours. 3 weeks and you're able to suspend the rights of another person... Unlike nurses, paramedics or even maintenance personal, peace officers and guards do not get specialized training based on their location of work. Training and candidates are a one size fits all sort of thing. AHS peace officers are also some of the lowest paid in the province.

Pros

My team mates

Cons

See above

Efficient unit with lots of learning opportunities

Good pay.Efficiently run unit with many learning opportunities.Staff is very supportive.Good parking.Modern equipment.Snacks and coffee available.Many team building and bonding activities.

Worst place to work

Its who you know. Staff get hired by supervisors with whom they are bestfriends with. People get away with sub par work practices. Good workers leave.

Pros

Cons

Worst Management ever

Excellent place to work, happy to recommend to anyone interested!

Although I've been away from AHS for over a year due to illness, it is my strongest wish to rejoin AHS as they are fantastic and make work a true joy!

Pros

understanding, open minded, forward thinking, helpful, courteous and fun people

Cons

the only one ever are people that show up but don't want to put in the effort!

Place you can retire from

Depends where you are working within AHS. The departments tht I have worked, Department of paediatric at AB Children’s hospital was the only place I felt had toxic environment.

Pros

Opportunities to learn and grow

Cons

Favouritism

Educational

Employer worked scheduling around my children and husbands schedule. Loved the hands on care and the staff were professional and a joy to work with was able to enhance nursing skills

Jobs at Alberta Health Services

See more jobs

AHS- Room to Grow if your “IN”

Extremely clique based. No room for growth unless the Manager or Directors love you. Extremely unfair and different rules for different individuals. No consistency. Constantly breaking Collective Agreements. My mental health has hugely suffered since working with AHS. They treat admin staff horribly.

The hospital was a great place but the crew werent a team

I worked for AHS in strathmore, the crew is acidic. There is no room for advancement there as the maintenance 3 and 4 are lifers and always have issues. They will be little you and you'll be treated like a piece of cr..p, numerous times there have been HR complaints and nothing gets done. MANAGEMENT is lazy and if you are not a yes man then your f...ed. Best piece of advice don't go to Strathmore. Go to wabasca for a term with good management then pick where you want to go internally. You will get f...ed in strathmore.

Pros

All other departments are great

Cons

The list is too long for that department

AHS Peace Officer

Phenomenal career and position of growth if looking to pursue other policing agencies or to remain employed by the government with great benefits, pension, and wage. Diverse Law Enforcement experience, dealing with the general population and anyone coming into AHS Premise’. There is no normal day for an AHS Peace Officer - you may find yourself responding to fire related calls, medical calls, property crimes, crimes in progress, assist external Law Enforcement partners, and enforcement of Provincial Statutory Authorities which include; Trespass to Premises Act, Petty Trespass Act, Gaming Liquor and Cannabis Act, Public Health Act, Mental Health Act, Tobacco Smoking and Reduction Act, Traffic Safety Act all under the authority of the Provincial Offences and Procedures Act.

Pros

Amazing Law Enforcement Experience

Cons

Some Staff look and treat AHSPS poorly

Busy and interesting

Work goes by fast as there is always something to do. The staff are amazing and a good group to work with. Lots of opportunities to learn new things.

good

Good place to workGood work culture Ethics and good to be in great placeThings are basic and straight Colleagues are ok and always have a helping hand.

Pros

public set up you are not exploited

Cons

work on the toes

Well organized workplace with opportunities for career growth.

In general, a well organized workplace with numerous opportunities in a variety of nursing fields, lots of lateral mobility to try different areas of nursing and plenty of flexibility for casual, part time, temporary, or full time work. A generally collaborative and team-based environment.

Good place to work, but pay is low for what we do.

I love going to work everyday. Hospital staff and patients are great, however the pay is low for the amount of work we do. Work life balance is great. Management is supportive. You feel like part of a family here.

Pros

Great work place

Cons

Low pay

Good pay, so so co workers

I was a cleaner and the nurses and other staff were part of the reason I quit, the other was because I didn’t want to clean areas where people were dying in hospital. The pay was great and it’s the easiest job I’ve had, but has its downfalls

Professional workplace

Working at the children’s hospital is very rewarding. Awesome staff that have compassion and empathy. Salaries need to be reviewed and increased to of keep up with cost of living.

Pros

Personal feeling of accomplishment

Cons

Not paid enough for length of service.

Great environment to work

In my opinion the job is great as long you focus on what you're there for. The supervisors for very welcoming and they listen to problems and issues regarding the work

Pros

Premium on evenings and weekends

Cons

No free lunches

Awful place to work. Employees are full of anger and resentment for their poor lifestyle this job provides for them.

From the moment you enter this environment, you feel the negativity surrounding you. No training, nasty people to work with, lots of anger and resentment towards others in this work environment. I wouldn't recommend this place to my enemies.

Pros

Cons

Long hours, expectations to work overtime without being paid for it. Time and time again this is the situation.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Alberta Health Services. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6Job security/advancement