Alberta Health Services
Alberta Health Services Employee Review

High stress employer with no reward or recognition

8 March 2020
I have worked for AHS in a non-union position for over 8 yrs and in that time have had no increase due to government and senior leadership cost cutting, while unionized positions and senior leadership have year over year seen between 1-3% increases. New staff is also hired at higher salaries (current market rates) while those who have been dedicated employees have gotten no recognition or cost of living increases. A lot of non-union employees work second jobs just to make ends meet. Workloads tend to increase above what staff are able to reasonably manage due to the cost cutting.
2.0Job security/advancement
10 December 2020
Same roleSame location
Advisor (Former Employee) - Calgary, AB
Some departments in HR are blantant with nepotism, hiring friends at top of pay scales, giving raises despite a salary freeze, etc. It's great if you're the person who is besties with the leader. Star talent leaves the organization because of no opportunity to grow. It's great if you are in a unionized position. Better pay and someone to actually fight for you when management tries shady things.
Pros
Work life balance, opportunity to grow depending on who you know
Cons
Poor pay if you join in a non-union position.
27 May 2020
Same role
Advisor (Former Employee) - Edmonton, AB
The team I worked with has worst manager. My manager is somewhat racist and moody. Also, team talks a lot about team work during meetings but in real life they all work in Silos. Hated my work at AHS like anything. No Scope to enhance your career path. No one talks about career goals. Director and Manager talks everything like buddies and they underestimate other employees capabilities
Pros
Good Salary, life work balance
Cons
No career growth, works manager
29 May 2021
Same location
CPSM & ADMIN Rockyview (Former Employee) - Calgary, AB
Although I've been away from AHS for over a year due to illness, it is my strongest wish to rejoin AHS as they are fantastic and make work a true joy!
Pros
understanding, open minded, forward thinking, helpful, courteous and fun people
Cons
the only one ever are people that show up but don't want to put in the effort!
  1. High stress employer with no reward or recognition