Alberta Health Services Employee Reviews

Love this workplace
Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB13 August 2018
I love working for Alberta health services. They have excellent benefits and are very accommodating and attentive. I have worked here just over a year now and i am a very happy employee.
Lots of support and encouragment of staff
Health Unit Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 August 2018
Professional yet fun work environment.
Very supportive management team and work place. Administration offers lots of opportunites for growth and advancement
more competetive
Sterile Processing Technician (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 August 2018
its a good and secure place to work as per UNIONIZED organization that is the good thing, but it is very not so good in term of salary increase, most of all they don't really considered the category of the job that the very least employee are working on.
Pros
job secure
Cons
salary is not a good thing for the nature of work i have
Good health benefits
Health Care Aide (Current Employee) –  Central Zone2 August 2018
Questionable management in rural areas. Good place for steady employment. Usually room to advance. AHS is great for providing education options to further your career.
Great Career for Learning
Administrative Support Level IV (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 August 2018
Great place to start and train for your career. If you are looking for advancement make sure you are in a union exempt position. Busy, fast paced environment.
Great place to work with decent wages.
Clerk III Addictions and Mental Health (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB1 August 2018
Working at AHS has been an enjoyable experience. From management to the employees, I have had nothing but great things to say about it. I have gained knowledge in various positions through my 14 years of employment.
Work ability
Administrative Support IV (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 July 2018
always meet with deadline and very accurate,
short notice projects.
Very busy work environment
Dealing with complex patient care
multiple projects : MSK, Neuro, Pulmonary, Parkinson's, Stroke patients
Many opportunities if willing to change location.
MTC III 4th Power Engineer (Former Employee) –  Rocky Mountain House, AB24 July 2018
Good place to work and meet many interesting people. The Hospital was quite old so many issues were not always completely resolved because of cost. Wages and benefits were fair. I enjoyed learning from vast array of maintenance personal working locally or at other facilities when we congregated for training or just email and phone communication.
Pros
Large organization with resources & experience
Cons
Allocation of facility funds sometimes not practical.
dedicated staff
Addiction and mental health worker (Current Employee) –  Raymond, AB18 July 2018
positive staff dedicated to client wellness, staff like to have fun and joke in meetings and in some staff activities, responsive management, doesn't always take a long time to make changes, skilled and informed staff overall
Pros
going out for lunch, team building
Cons
mainly following a medical model
Unable to recommend
Procurement Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 July 2018
I experienced a difficult on-boarding due to an absent on-boarding schedule plan and constructive interest in my success.
As a result, I would suggest any protential candidate to ask for:
- a two-week on-boarding schedule with activities and SMART goals which can be tracked and measured. Subjective observations from remote location or via Skype are not as effective as management in the same office.
- document everything including relevant emails and performance expectations.
- ask for help or assistance asap. Do not assume management wants to see you succeed.
- expect all late
Benefits
Cons
Absent Management, Critical Performance evaluation
Always a New Day
Administrative Support III (Current Employee) –  Alberta11 July 2018
There is no real flow to the days of working in AHS. The days are varied as are the patients that you see. This is a job for someone who likes to have variety and wants top avoid doing the same job over and over again.

You can honestly feel that you are making a difference in the lives of your patients. Helping them get the care that they need, helping them find a doctor or a loved one, this is a job that is ideal for someone who loves people.

However, there are always cons. You are always on call, vacation or not, staffing may be calling you, and there is always a potential for drama. And, as the days are always different, there is no structure to your days.

However, the pay is good as is the benefits, and you always make a difference in the lives of people.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Long hours, on call
great company overall i think. bad management in my department.
ESII (Current Employee) –  Mayerthorpe, AB10 July 2018
unfortunately, I have had the experience of being bullied by a coworker and my manager who also made me feel like I was incompetent, and even reprimanded me for an injury. When i went above heads over it, i was referred back to my Manager! kind of a joke in my department, but i have faith that not all departments are like this!
Staff are great; environment uneasy
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 July 2018
Worked at a time when reductions were taking place. No room for growth for Administrative Assistants/Clerical. In the tenure, there were several organizational restructures, therefore causing an unsettling environment.
Pros
worked with an amazing director
Cons
workload was overload
Have more then 10 yr experience in health care field
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 July 2018
Working for AHS since 2010 started with Administrative Assistance and after completing my Unit clerk course working as Program coordinator/ Unit clerk for Kidney clinic at UofA hospital
Challenging.
DIEATARY CLERK (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 July 2018
It is difficult to try and succeed when you are consistently competing with people who have seniority.

That was the most challenging part of my job, knowing that I was not going to get a position (permanent or temporary) based on not having enough seniority--and not because of work ethic, interpersonal skills, general skills for the job, or variety of other reasons.
amazing company to work for
Community Peace Officer 2- Full Time (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 July 2018
patrolled the facility and ensured the safety of patients, staff and public. assisted with fire procedures as needed. enforced all policies and procedures of alberta health services
Pros
customer service to everyone
Team Orientated
Unit Clerk Secretary (Current Employee) –  Alberta5 July 2018
Everyone employed with AHS is a part of the team to provide patient care

All employees have input to the continual improvement process within AHS

Training is provided for employees via on site or electronic training courses

The hardest part of the job is to remain focused on tasks during periods of emergency

The most enjoyable part of the job is the sense of accomplishment knowing you have done your part for the whole of AHS patient Care
Pros
Excellent sense of purpose and gratitude from this job
Cons
Ability to maintain balance to work and thrive in times when stressful situations arise
A Health'y' place to work
ID Specialist (Current Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB1 July 2018
Working with the AHS is an enjoyable and rewarding experience as if you are a people person then you are in the right job and the AHS is there for 'people'...it is a nice environment filled with helpful and wonderful people.
Pros
nice place to work, nice people to work with, nice pay
Cons
Enjoy working with the current staff and job requirements
Unit Clerk (Current Employee) –  Vermilion, AB26 June 2018
I work in a confidential, health related enviroment with many time sensitive deadlines. I enjoy the people I work with and visit with the public as time permits in my role of registering paitents to see the nurse practioner. I conduct hand hygiene audits in 4 locations quarterly.
Pros
job security
Cons
work area is extremely warm in summer months
Good pay with good benefits
ESW II (housekeeping) and SW I (porter) (Current Employee) –  Leduc, AB25 June 2018
Management is good. I disinfect high touch surfaces, remove garbage/biohazardous waste/recycing, clean/disinfect isolation rooms and regular rooms. I also replenish paper towel, toilet paper, soap, hand sanitizer, and lotion. The hardest part of the job is it being very physically demanding on busy days when there are a lot of discharges.
Pros
Good pay and good benefits
Cons
Physically demanding

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Alberta Health Services. Our community is ready to answer.