Alberta Health Services Employee Reviews

LPN (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 June 2018
I feel there are to many management positions within Alberta Health services and it is all about who you know to further your career. Although I enjoy the work and the people that I work with,caring for others can give you a great rewarding feeling .
Ahs
Data Governance Analyst (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 June 2018
Large organization, poor communication, no work/life balance. AHS does not listen to feedback from their employees. It is a toxic work environment that management refuses to change.
Great Coworkers
Full Time Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON8 June 2018
I really enjoyed my time working in long term care, it was fulfilling and rewarding but after 17 years I felt I was becoming jaded and decided to explore new paths.

My shifts were 7 am to 3:15 pm. We had a lot of educational support not just about cleaning, but how to interact with clients and how to deal with emergencies, as well as the typical OH&S, and WHIMS training.

I loved interacting with the clients and the worst part was when one passed away. It is both challenging and rewarding working in long term care.
Pros
Great coworkers, great clients
Cons
Lack of support from management
Great co worker
Clerk 5 (Former Employee) –  Red deer, ab8 June 2018
I really enjoyed my time are AHS. The management could have been a little better , there could have been more training.
Hours of work were great. I would recommend anyone to work there.
Pros
Co workers
Cons
Some management
Productive and fun place to work
Clerk IV (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 June 2018
I have learned so much at AHS. There is always room for growth. You feel like a part of team. Loving environment happy and decent workplace. I enjoy the people I worked with and the location was desired.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
no parking
great place to work
Program Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 June 2018
Worked for a great great management team that was supportive and enable autonomy and job satisfaction. As a non-union staff member working with unionized staff, it can be a bit tricky but overall things get worked through.
Pros
job satisfaction
Cons
union culture
Typical Goverment, slow, stupid and waste money!
IT Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 June 2018
Do not waste your time!

If you are from the private sector, you will find the transition extremely painful and frustrating.

You are silo'ed and can only do what you are told / allowed. To support your End Users takes long and because you do not have any permissions, you cannot solve silly issues withing minutes, but it takes days.

Do not get me stated on Management! They have no idea what their teams do and force decisions or totally ignore your requests and warnings. The organization structure is top heavy and the team leads have not authority. Everything needs to be checked with management. Talk about inefficiencies!

Many of the senior technical employees did not receive any increases for years, so if you going for a position like that, you could be stuck for years on the same salary. Good luck with that.

If you are looking for a job where you are constantly waiting on someone, do not feel productive every day, your management ignores you, the performance reviews is a total wash, but you still get paid every month even if you do nothing, then this is place for you!
Pros
Do nothing and still get paid!
Cons
Fun and engaging place to work.
Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 June 2018
I enjoy working in AHS they treat their workers great and I have never had any issue with the management or other employees. The hardest part of the day is around lunch time when people go on their breaks and you have to carry the rut of the work but other than that good day.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
No parking
A place for a variety or professions to come together to help patients.
Student (Former Employee) –  Lac La Biche, AB26 May 2018
As a student i learned about the hospital, procedures,and how to function in in a team of my profession but other professions as well ie doctors nurses or therapists.
Good staff, good protocols, some management is good.
Paramedic (Former Employee) –  Alberta Canada25 May 2018
Good staff, good protocols, some management is good. Pay is good. Working Conditions suck as far as hospital waits and flexing. Some options like Tactical ems, air medical, hazmat etc
good experience good pay
Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 May 2018
good learning hospital, management alright. not having regular scheduling for moms. meeting different people from different backgrounds and a good salary.
Productive Place to Work
Psychiatric Aide (Current Employee) –  Ponoka, AB11 May 2018
I enjoy working at Alberta Health Services. I work with a great group of people, and enjoy working with the vulnerable. My manager is a fantastic person.
excellent workplace environment
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Two Hills, AB5 May 2018
great place to work, great benefit plan, excellent co-workers, flexible hours, full time employment, unionized job, lots of programs for furthering your education.
productive environment
Student placement (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB3 May 2018
I have never worked with AHS. However, I have enjoyed my learning through this institute during my placement as a student. This would be a place where one would enjoy their employment.
Respect Workers
Food service Worker (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 May 2018
Respect Workers when I have a problem they help me out in finding out what the problem is. Super diligent and commute respect to everyone. so Happy to work with AHS
Great work place environment, good salary and benefits.
Unit Clerk Emergency Department (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB30 April 2018
I have learned a lot over the last few years working as a unit clerk. Its fun, interesting. You get to work beside doctors and nurses. Sometimes they can be rude, but you just deal with it and keep doing the job. Non stop police, fire fighters, STARS and EMS. You get to see a lot of scary stuff.
Not a recommended place to work..
Emergency Communications (Former Employee) –  Alberta30 April 2018
While some of your colleagues are decent, many are back stabbers.. No support when you become one of the many mental health victims within the department.. If your manager or team lead doesn't like you, they will make your life a living he||.
Pros
None..
Cons
No mental health support, Management sucks, favoritism
be careful
Influenza Program Data Entry Team (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 April 2018
be careful with politics and favouritism, it's a thing that's encouraged. hard working people overlooked, and those with the silver tongue are encouraged.
Flexible hours, positive work environment
Internship (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB25 April 2018
Overall, my experience with AHS was positive and advanced the development of my profession career and skills, which can be translated into a variety of professions.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Difficult to get a job with initially
Management is a real problem.
Environmental Services II (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB22 April 2018
Over the 2 years, and 3 separate sites that I worked in, I found that every single site struggled in the Management. I found favoritism, bullying, and negligence to be the common factor in every site and there was little done to rectify the misconduct. Alberta Health Services is in need of a complete over-haul when it comes to patient care and the way the staff is treated. I have family members that also work for the organization and their departments are in just as much turmoil. Fix the system that is broken and working conditions will improve and so will the working morale. It is sad to know that tax paying citizens are paying for hard workers that have to deal with mediocrity and unjust working environments.
Pros
Decent Wages
Cons
Everything else

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Alberta Health Services. Our community is ready to answer.