Alberta Health Services Employee Reviews

Productive Place to Work
Psychiatric Aide (Current Employee) –  Ponoka, AB11 May 2018
I enjoy working at Alberta Health Services. I work with a great group of people, and enjoy working with the vulnerable. My manager is a fantastic person.
excellent workplace environment
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Two Hills, AB5 May 2018
great place to work, great benefit plan, excellent co-workers, flexible hours, full time employment, unionized job, lots of programs for furthering your education.
productive environment
Student placement (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB3 May 2018
I have never worked with AHS. However, I have enjoyed my learning through this institute during my placement as a student. This would be a place where one would enjoy their employment.
Respect Workers
Food service Worker (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 May 2018
Respect Workers when I have a problem they help me out in finding out what the problem is. Super diligent and commute respect to everyone. so Happy to work with AHS
Great work place environment, good salary and benefits.
Unit Clerk Emergency Department (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB30 April 2018
I have learned a lot over the last few years working as a unit clerk. Its fun, interesting. You get to work beside doctors and nurses. Sometimes they can be rude, but you just deal with it and keep doing the job. Non stop police, fire fighters, STARS and EMS. You get to see a lot of scary stuff.
Not a recommended place to work..
Emergency Communications (Former Employee) –  Alberta30 April 2018
While some of your colleagues are decent, many are back stabbers.. No support when you become one of the many mental health victims within the department.. If your manager or team lead doesn't like you, they will make your life a living he||.
Pros
None..
Cons
No mental health support, Management sucks, favoritism
be careful
Influenza Program Data Entry Team (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 April 2018
be careful with politics and favouritism, it's a thing that's encouraged. hard working people overlooked, and those with the silver tongue are encouraged.
Flexible hours, positive work environment
Internship (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB25 April 2018
Overall, my experience with AHS was positive and advanced the development of my profession career and skills, which can be translated into a variety of professions.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Difficult to get a job with initially
Management is a real problem.
Environmental Services II (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB22 April 2018
Over the 2 years, and 3 separate sites that I worked in, I found that every single site struggled in the Management. I found favoritism, bullying, and negligence to be the common factor in every site and there was little done to rectify the misconduct. Alberta Health Services is in need of a complete over-haul when it comes to patient care and the way the staff is treated. I have family members that also work for the organization and their departments are in just as much turmoil. Fix the system that is broken and working conditions will improve and so will the working morale. It is sad to know that tax paying citizens are paying for hard workers that have to deal with mediocrity and unjust working environments.
Pros
Decent Wages
Cons
Everything else
enjoyable job
Health Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 April 2018
I have received whimis certificate, its your move, time management, problem solving, effective communication. My experience includes medicine, surgery, intensive care units. I have enjoyed learning a lot of new skills. even though the different parts of the hospital has different set of skills, I took it in stride. there has been a lot of changes in 18 years as well.
Pros
helping the patients get better
Cons
hours
Always opportunity for advancement
Temporary Full-time (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB18 April 2018
Very fast paced work place.
Great staff.
Opportunities to expand knowledge and apply new training to the workplace.
Excellent Benefits.
Rewarding clientele
Free from Stress
Property Management Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 April 2018
Stress Free
Always willing to learn something new
Not particular, don't want or need the responsibility
Enjoyable
Not worried, I am willing and able
Pros
I bring my own lunch
Cons
Bullying
Really Fun
Ice Water/Unit Clerk (Volunteer) (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB15 April 2018
I have the best time here. The atmosphere is great and I love my jobs. I interact with the patients and I have made a lot of friends. I recommend volunteering with AHS.
Pros
Free beverages
Very productive company
Environmental Services (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB12 April 2018
Alberta Health Services provides best benefits for their employees. Ensuring staff is competent in performing duties and responsibilities by providing training and education sessions to grow and develop.
It is the best place to be!
Very busy faced paced environment
Social Worker Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 April 2018
Responsible for providing leadership to social workers within the areas of medicine, surgery, ER and Women's Health. The hardest part of the job was the pressure to discharge and the most enjoyable was working alongside an interdisciplinary team making a difference in the lives of others.
Great staff to work with, very busy
Health Care Aide (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB10 April 2018
Lots of learning opportunities, staff for the most part are team orientated and care for their patients, supplies readily available, hard to watch long term patients deteriorate with no form of rec therapy
Pros
union, camraderie
Cons
Good place to work, fun workplace culture and morale
Addiction & Mental Health Recovery Worker (Current Employee) –  Raymond, AB9 April 2018
open management, open to creative and innovative developments, supportive, collaborative, some staff social activities are found to be very positive. Staff are good to work with. Changing management model indicates some uncertainty for future direction. Overall very positive experience!
Pros
no weekend work
lot of teamming up and very clicky environment
Research Assistant I (Former Employee) –  Intensive Care Unit, Calgary9 April 2018
culture of bullying prevalent in some departments, they team up and try to desperate you for you to quit if they do not like you regardless you are doing a good job.
Pros
good salary and benefits
Cons
Respiratory Therapy manager was very prepoten, intimidating and condescending attitude by managers, clicky environment; bullying tactics
Productive and fun workplace!
RN Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 April 2018
Ensuring staff are competent in performing duties and responsibilities by providing trainings and education sessions to grow and develop.
It is the best place to be!
Rural Nursing
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 April 2018
Best experience and best job opportunities within AHS are in rural settings, highly recommend new nurses to get experience in these settings. Wish there were more incentives like cheap parking or even available staff parking for big city center hospitals for people that want to commute the distance to work in the bigger centers.
Cons
Very Competitive for Job Application

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Alberta Health Services. Our community is ready to answer.