Alberta Health Services Employee Reviews

Reasonable Workplace
Administrative Assistant IV (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 November 2018
I have worked at AHS for about 4 years. I support a team of approximately 25 people. I am encouraged by leadership to take courses via internal education methods to expand my knowledge. The workplace culture is very divided. Lower level employees have a great camaraderie but leadership has a hard time fitting in with their people. They do not engage nor do they support their groups. I enjoy the people I work with but I do not enjoy the monotony that is endured.
Pros
Good salary and lots of opportunity to move around
Cons
Management do not support workers, political environment, excessive meetings and everything is "processed" to death
Highly disorganized company
Support services (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 August 2018
The front line workers are the really gold here. Almost every single manager I worked for was power hungry and a micro manager and did not have good supervisor skills. There are too, too, too, many layers of "management" and it takes forever just to get a light bulb changed. So trying to improve a work process is almost impossible due to the levels of frustration you have to go through. Very exasperating.

The pay is good in some areas; however, advancement is not possible unless you know someone. There are a lot of lazy workers and old people who don't want to learn the new systems that are coming on line; however, they refuse to retire. No incentives to do better.

Advice is to do your work, keep your head down and stay off the radar. AHS cuts jobs and doesn't care about it's front line workers; meanwhile layers and layers of "managment" take home huge salaries for doing very little untrained work.
Pros
Pension
Cons
poor work culture, poor appreciation of front line workers
Always a New Day
Administrative Support III (Current Employee) –  Alberta11 July 2018
There is no real flow to the days of working in AHS. The days are varied as are the patients that you see. This is a job for someone who likes to have variety and wants top avoid doing the same job over and over again.

You can honestly feel that you are making a difference in the lives of your patients. Helping them get the care that they need, helping them find a doctor or a loved one, this is a job that is ideal for someone who loves people.

However, there are always cons. You are always on call, vacation or not, staffing may be calling you, and there is always a potential for drama. And, as the days are always different, there is no structure to your days.

However, the pay is good as is the benefits, and you always make a difference in the lives of people.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Long hours, on call
Interesting and challenging work
Process Improvement Specialist, Pharmacy Services (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 November 2018
Interesting projects to work on, but under high pressure. Consultants must have ability to deal with politics and unions. Great work life balance and benefits.
Good long term benefits
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 October 2018
Life balance is good and because of budget restraints restricted growth regarding training, no coffee, tea provided, no other perks like events. The overall culture is better than 5 years ago. Senior Management is really trying but middle Management is terrible.
Pros
Life work balance and pension
Cons
Not much room for growth and/or recognition
Opportunity
Administration Assistant (Current Employee) –  Drayton Valley, AB5 October 2018
Working for Alberta Health Services has provided me with a great career and opportunity for advancement in the health care field as well as they provide great benefits/wages.
Pros
Good work hours and wages
Cons
need for more in-house management
Unable to recommend
Procurement Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 July 2018
I experienced a difficult on-boarding due to an absent on-boarding schedule plan and constructive interest in my success.
As a result, I would suggest any protential candidate to ask for:
- a two-week on-boarding schedule with activities and SMART goals which can be tracked and measured. Subjective observations from remote location or via Skype are not as effective as management in the same office.
- document everything including relevant emails and performance expectations.
- ask for help or assistance asap. Do not assume management wants to see you succeed.
- expect all late
Benefits
Cons
Absent Management, Critical Performance evaluation
Toxic work environment
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Valleyview, AB21 June 2018
Lack of teamwork, lots of bullying and no respect in the workplace. Worst job I have ever had.

Management has unrealistic expectations, and if you go to them with a problem you're not taken seriously. When you're unable to meet the expectations, the problem is always you, never with management. Absolutely no consideration toward the staff they oversee, borderline abusive treatment.
Pros
Wage, benefits
Cons
Scheduling, management, work culture
Terrible management
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 April 2018
Management is incompetent and the leadership structure is committed to protecting managers rather than responding to employee concerns. This leadership culture is widespread within the organization- my specific experience was indicative of systemic issues.

The job sounded great on paper but the management was unwilling to relinquish even a little bit of control, so what was supposed to be a meaningful, dynamic role ended up being anything but. Not only was critical thinking discouraged, it was explicitly labelled insubordinate.

If you’re a change maker, either know that you’re going to be miserable as you try to implement even incremental improvement, or find another place to bring your skills where they might actually be valued.

Great salary and benefits, but not enough to outweigh the effects on my personal wellbeing.
Pros
Salary, benefits
Cons
Awful management, no support for staff
Great organization to work for
Manager, Finance Policy (Former Employee) –  Calgary, Alberta16 October 2018
I had a great few years working at AHS. Management has been very supportive of my career development, offered great work life balance and opportunity to grow.
Fulfilling position
UNIT CLERK (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 September 2018
Alberta Health Services is a great employer. They strive to make the workday both enjoyable and challenging for each employee. I have great job satisfaction and cannot imagine a career not in healthcare. I love helping others and am glad that I chose this as my main career.
Pros
assisting patients get through difficult times
Great Job if you have a Great Team
Recreation Therapy Assistant (Casual) (Current Employee) –  Mayerthorpe, AB19 August 2018
I have worked for AHS for over 5 years now.

It can be incredibly difficult to obtain permanent employment at your desired FTE, at your desired location, but if you hold out long enough, someone will eventually retire.

I truly believe that depending on the team that you work within, this will determine much of your job satisfaction. I have worked within several different departments during my time with AHS under several different job titles, which allowed me to be exposed to many, many disciplines. I have had positions that I have loathed and loved, the difference, my teammates.

Overall, good benefits, salary is above any private facility, and the ability to move around the province while maintaining seniority/benefits is a plus.
A financial dead end.
Senior Analyst (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 November 2018
Non-union employees are in year 4 of a 5 year salary freeze. Just watch, they'll probably extend the freeze even further. This is an employer that is all too eager for its employees to grow their responsibility, but with no commensurate growth in compensation. It's a nice place to work - as long as one doesn't mind financial stagnation. Costs continue to rise every year. Benefits contributions go up and up and up. Salaries go nowhere. To call it a financial dead end is actually generous. In reality, if costs rise and salaries stay constant, net in-pocket compensation actually decreases.
Pros
Stable work environment.
Cons
Salaries frozen for 5 years and counting.
Dysfunctional and depressing environment
Environmental Services II (Former Employee) –  Alberta14 September 2018
Dictatorship management, more work than people/time, abundance of clip-board supervisors, very low morale,high expectations , poor communication
Unfulfilling, task -oriented, ridiculous paperwork
Pros
Wage & benefits
Cons
Work felt like punishment
Typical Goverment, slow, stupid and waste money!
IT Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 June 2018
Do not waste your time!

If you are from the private sector, you will find the transition extremely painful and frustrating.

You are silo'ed and can only do what you are told / allowed. To support your End Users takes long and because you do not have any permissions, you cannot solve silly issues withing minutes, but it takes days.

Do not get me stated on Management! They have no idea what their teams do and force decisions or totally ignore your requests and warnings. The organization structure is top heavy and the team leads have not authority. Everything needs to be checked with management. Talk about inefficiencies!

Many of the senior technical employees did not receive any increases for years, so if you going for a position like that, you could be stuck for years on the same salary. Good luck with that.

If you are looking for a job where you are constantly waiting on someone, do not feel productive every day, your management ignores you, the performance reviews is a total wash, but you still get paid every month even if you do nothing, then this is place for you!
Pros
Do nothing and still get paid!
Cons
Very rewarding role in being able to help those in need with ensuring their buildings are upgraded
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  central Alberta2 October 2018
AHS is a challenging place to work because it is a gov't role where the transparency requirement gets in the way of progress and common sense. The role consists of managing stakeholders, consultants and vendors to get projects done. The most enjoyable part of the job is going to site and seeing the progress of projects and feeling good about the contribution being made to the betterment of the end-users.
Pros
working to help those in need, good vacation plan, pension
Cons
government red tape, clique & kingdom entrenched management structure, nepotism, old boys club..
Great People
ADMINISTRATIVE III (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 October 2018
Great people to work with, hard to advance if just starting out. Love the work load, people, and management, also has a really great pay with great shift differentials
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Hard Advancement
Good pay with good benefits
ESW II (housekeeping) and SW I (porter) (Current Employee) –  Leduc, AB25 June 2018
Management is good. I disinfect high touch surfaces, remove garbage/biohazardous waste/recycing, clean/disinfect isolation rooms and regular rooms. I also replenish paper towel, toilet paper, soap, hand sanitizer, and lotion. The hardest part of the job is it being very physically demanding on busy days when there are a lot of discharges.
Pros
Good pay and good benefits
Cons
Physically demanding
Team Lead - Staffing Services (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 October 2018
good benefits/pay
Alberta weather
friendly staff
team work
fast paced
flexible and challenging at the same time
hiring process was quick and easy
Pros
good benefits/pay
Good Working enviorment
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 September 2018
safe workplace, work life balance is good. Virtual work environment which makes it tough to be in front of a computer screen all day. It would be a lot better if there was more room for advancement.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Alberta Health Services. Our community is ready to answer.