Alberta Health Services
Here to help: Coronavirus update
Updates from Alberta Health Services:

Alberta Health Services Employee Reviews

Canada883 reviews
Will recommend to my friends.
Companies benefit are good, but the management are not that great. Workplace overall is good. The hardest part of the job is not working as a team. The most enjoyable part is I guess when the day is almost over.
Retirement job
Is you can get in with AHS, you have a career til you retire. You won't get paid as much elsewhere for the same type of work. The pay is definitely worth it alone.
Too many Managers
too many managers and upper managers hold purse strings closed. everything is over blown and upper managers treat the sections of the province like enemy not allies.
Hca
I worked with the elderly and loved every min of it. It had its ups and downs but to see them smile made my heart melt. I love working with the seniors.
Good Work Ethic and Very Professional. Supportive Co-workers.
Learnt Big time how to work within a group. And Recognize that the Strength and weaknesses of an individuals are only effective when combined into something Greater.
Its good
This was a good place to work.
There was alot of support.

Over all one of the best experiences I really loved the people I worked with as well the collaboration with other non profit organizations.
To much deduction, working as support staff Payless but deduction is t9 much.
AHS should not double deduction from staff while they had vacation or sick leave or personal leave. We didn’t get double paid for vacation, it’s our save put aside for vacation while we worked ,then when we using those vacations time we not allow to rent our spot to friend that made me so angry with AHS.
Like home
I miss working with my colleagues, small quaint facility. Unfortunately I ended up moving.
The hours are as expected with any 24 hour provider. Entire facility was lead by an LPN and each floor with dementia residents had 2 HCA's. Non locked units were supported by one HCA.

Great training, with up to date protocols. Supports are in place for both residents and employees of all departments.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Alberta Health Services?
Lots of opportunities
I worked in various administrative roles in healthcare for 30 years. It can be very rewarding. There is opportunity for advancement in some work streams.
Great for people looking to expand their skills
I thoroughly enjoyed my experiences working in the OT department. There were many opportunities for learning, which was often encouraged by management. Management had a very collaborative and team-focused view instead of a Therapist and assistant view. Everyone had worth and valid ideas. Turn over is fairly high, however.
A good place to live, work, learn and grow as a professional and a community member
Excellent leadership culture exists here. However, it is a highly unionized clinical environment. There is a work-life-family balance. Job security is assured, salary package isn't bad but could be better especially for managers since they are 'Out of Scope' and no union to fight for them in terms of benefits. Job culture is great as it remains zero tolerance to workplace bully and the like.
Productive and fun place to work
It gives you pride as you are earning while serving Albertan's. AHS values the employee and pay decently. The team is very joyful. I feel being heard at my work place.
Alberta Children's Hospital is a great place to work
As a nurse, I can't imagine starting my career anywhere other than the Alberta Children's Hospital. The staff are amazing, the facility is incredible and caring for kids has been such a blessing.
Every site is different
If you are in this industry you know the deal. Management in a large organization like Alberta Health services is a mixed bag. Most supervisors have little to no actual management experience or training. For central zone EMS anyway.
Great place to learn a variety of skills
I have been here since I graduated and not one day is ever the same. Fast paced environment. Great team work and communication is essential to success.
unwilling to elaborate
I would prefer not to express an opinion at this time. At this point in time, I do not feel my opinion is needed and am not willing to share at the moment
Productive Workplace
Excellent place to work. However, I have changed my occupation and I am now almost finished a Masters in Counselling Psychology degree. I am hoping to work for an agency in this field.
Productive and fun workplace
Hoping that management team can spend more time reaching out and find time to talk to the workers. Aside from that it is a good place to work, benefits are okay as well.
Productive work place
This is a work place where we can identify our knowledge and apply this for the use of the organization. the project manager gives max freedom for ideas
Too many managers!
It is a very top-heavy organization where everyone is a manager except for you. Because of this, it is a “shut-up and put-up” environment. Very toxic!
Pros
Salary, benefits, pension
Cons
Most enjoyable part of the job
Fast paced and each day is never the same. Wonderful learning new skills from all types of staff. You must be able to deal with many types of personalities and sometimes it can be very challenging. Very rewarding career for the most part
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Alberta Health Services. Our community is ready to answer.