Alberta Health Services Employee Reviews

Positive Team Enviroment
Hospital Unit Clerk - Practicum (Former Employee) –  Okotoks, AB12 February 2019
While working with Alberta Health Services I noticed a great amount of team work, communication and leadership. Over All my experience was something I look forward to being a part of full time one day.
Good Place to Grow
Senior BI Consultant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 February 2019
Good Place to Grow and Learn and Contribute. They are invested in wide array of technologies and have an awesome evironment where we can learn different technologies and processes.
Thank god there is a Union...
Administrative Support III (Full time) (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB10 February 2019
AHS itself isn't so bad, they have a lot of programs to help you out if need be. However, management was terrible. They don't care whatsoever about their employees and ultimately is the reason I want to leave.
overall experience
Health Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Stettler, AB8 February 2019
AHS was overall a fantastic company to work with. You had plenty of training, support from management, open communication, great balance between work and personal life, and a great team to work with. I liked that the clients needs were also a huge priority and any concerns I had about a resident, the management would take care of it right away and address all concerns.
good place to work, enjoyable people
Distribution services/Porter (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 February 2019
people who work in the healthcare industry know that there are good and bad things about the Alberta healthcare system. People here are friendly and enjoyable to work with while providing adequate support.
Ahs rt
Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 February 2019
Lots of opportunities to work as an RT in AHS and different locations. Nice to be able to apple to temporary and permanent positions. However after a couple years into being an RT permanent positions were hard to find.
Pros
Cons
Difficult to get permanent position
Enjoyable workplace
Environmental Services II (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 February 2019
Easy to get along with people. Able to go in, enjoy working the shift and leave. It gets difficult when the previous employee that you are covering for did not do their shift before so you might have to work twice as hard.
fun place
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 February 2019
productive and fun workplace with a lot of opportunities
Alberta Health Service is there for you when you need them with solutions for any kind of problem
Good place to learn and grow
Primary Care Paramedic (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB1 February 2019
A good environment to learn and grow in. Equipment is well maintained. Good start for single or those who have the ability to work 24 hour shifts away from home. Pay is excellent
Professional development
Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 January 2019
- strong CEO
- many formal professional development opportunities
- lots of opportunity if you are eager
- forward thinking healthcare system compared to many others in Canada
- competitive salary and benefits
Fake job offers
Fake job (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 January 2019
They don't hire anyone. Advertising the same positions again and again . Governments way to avoid public panic. Everyone is unemployed and government is hiding.
Pros
Fake jobs
Cons
Fake jobs
AHS Concerns with management
Occupational Therapist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 January 2019
Providing the best approach and practice for patients while supporting your team should be the focus for management; however this is not the case. Concerns with ensuring assessments and tools are not of best practice occurred despite extreme efforts from the team. This included education of what is being used and why, keeping the assessments and tools cost effective as well as practical and current. There is no unbiased way to have concerns heard as Confidence line is the only unbiased part of raising concerns. Your concerns are then sent back to Alberta Health services where the approach is biased and concerning.
Pros
Excellent direct coworkers who want the best for the people they work with
Cons
Management, no unbiased way to have concerns heard
fun high energy
Environmental Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Tofield, AB18 January 2019
I love this job. The people I work with are fun easy going. the job it self is enjoyable fun good high pace. The people I work around are fun helpful. there is always something new to learn
Pros
fun loving environment
Cons
as a casual it wasnt steady
I like the team effort
Health Care Aide (Current Employee) –  Spirit River, AB14 January 2019
I find it enjoyable to sit and talk to the elderly and them and their family. After awhile it's like they become a part of your own family, It's like having two separate families,
I love what we achieve together!
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 January 2019
I enjoyed providing patient care with a top-notch team of creative, caring individuals who are truly dedicated to looking after the people in our community.
Challenges your mind
Clerk V Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB12 January 2019
I have always liked my job at AHS. It has variety, working on the computer, calling staff to fill shifts, discussing strategies with the manger, etc.
The most enjoyable part of the job is talking with people.
The hardest part of the job is adjusting staff schedules and negotiating with the staff to get hot spots areas of the staffing needs filled.
Pros
Very good benefits
Where you are a number not a person
Advanced Care Paramedic - Full Time (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB8 January 2019
This review comes from over 10 years of experience with Alberta Health Services. The organization claims to have a patient centered model but I can speak directly in opposition to this, Alberta Health Services is clearly a budget centered operation. Management practices favor budgets over staff health and safety, several departments are non-compliant with new changes in Occupational Health & Safety legislation because the cost would be too high. Work life balance is a joke and if you use sick time you are placed on attendance awareness.
Pros
They pay on time
Cons
Management, Benefits, Worklife Balance
Great Place to Work
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT V (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 January 2019
I have enjoyed working for Alberta Health Services. The culture was great, people were great and always chances to improve on my skills. I would highly recommend working for AHS.
Pros
Security
Data entry based union job
Administrative assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 January 2019
Decent pay, low morale. A low stress work environment that could be handled by most people. Regular daliy routine of 8-4, no stress about work not being completed but next to no motivators.
hardest part of the job
Therapy Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hanna, AB1 January 2019
I work in LTC setting I think the hardest part of the job would be dealing with the different behaviours and the needs of the different residents. Even though I find this hard I also like a challenge and I'm looking for more opportunities in my field.
Pros
good work week
Cons
working until 5

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Alberta Health Services. Our community is ready to answer.