Alberta Health Services

Alberta Health Services Employee Reviews

You do your work at your.pace and.no pressure as ling you finish all.work.Its an qutomatic routine. C- workers are not same attitude and character.Just do what you can.Some Nurses are helpful some are not. Working.must be on.prioritization. It is important to ask for.help for the safety of the patient and self..
Pros
Environmentally friendly
Cons
Not too formal.
Great co- coworkers, best manager i've ever had. Docs and staff are wonderful. Staff to client ratio appropriate and case load manageable. Sad I had to leave
Great work environment. Most coworkers would go out of their way to lend a hand and help out when needed. Sometimes when you go above and beyond you are not appreciated for it though from the managers. Makes a person feel like not wanting to help out as much. Otherwise workload is good and environment is usually a fun place to be wether dealing with nursing or other departments.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Not feeling appreciated sometimes
I worked for Alberta Health Services for 10 years, Employees are encouraged to keep up to date with education in their field of work. Management is approachable if you have any questions.
Poor management, hypocrisy and bullying. No chances of advancement even if you more qualified, unless you’re “in good standing” with the manager who is not qualified herself. LPNs are preferred because of lower pay rate, although not competent. If you know the manager, you’ll have perks; if you’ll seek clarification and stand up for yourself, the manager will find a way to make you leave.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Poor management
I would say it is good place to work. Fair pay, good benefit, job secured. If you are looking for flexible job, I would highly recommended working at AHS.
Pros
Good pay, good benefit
I feel working in a crisis area of pediatric or adult pysc. Unit. There must better better long term leadership with theManagement teamSpecifically daily team debriefing time is a must, not just a two minute shift exchange amongst staff. It is a shared responsiblity if you want long term staff retainment.
Pros
Team strength
Cons
No Debriefing in crisis situation!
Poor initiation, no job support, basically left on my own to figure things out. Extremely poor management who did not care that there were bully employees, did nothing about them. No rhyme or reasons to decisions "Because I said so". Found management screaming at employees several times. Was not reported as most of the employees have families and needed the pay check. It seemed like an "old girls" club where its who you know not what you know. Obviously wrong people in management.
Pros
Absolutely None other than some other employees and physicians were great to work with, appreciated all efforts
Cons
No orientation, extremely poor management with no direction, only those that were in the "old girls club" succeeded, Management was "because I said so", found screaming at other employees at times, were only worried about when the food truck arrived, not taking care of patients, poor work environment.
I work with residents that have dementia and Alzheimer’s which is a challenge. It’s a challenge when I give them direction and they don’t follow and I have to get them to understand to what you want them to do. Another challenge is to have patience when residents ring every few minutes when I’m with another resident. There is always a chance to learn how to get round these challenges.Thank goodness I have a partner to work with through these challenges. The other thing I’m thankful for is the laughs that are shared with the residents. When we can make them laugh there is a connection on a fun level that is so rewarding.
Pros
Support from staff
Cons
Challenges for communication
I do not recommend anyone that has a disability of any sort to apply with AHS. There culture in the workplace is to get rid of people who have to be accommodated in the work place that have a disability. They have a documented process how they will accommodate people in the work place but have a very weak approach to obtaining any reasonable job position
Pros
Good benefits, well paid positions
Cons
Management lacks the ability to listen
RAH is a large hospital with many different units and modalities. I am proud to work here. It is hectic and can be stressful but my work family and management make it possible for balance In and off campus.
AHS is a good employer. The Government has too much say over many aspects of day to day work but that is the nature of healthcare. there is plenty of opportunity for advancement, but if your program gets scrapped because of budget or change in management you will most likely not find otherwork.
Pros
good place to work long term .
Cons
when you get a bad manager or colleague you either quit or try to outlive them.
A great career can be had at AHS as continuous learning opportunities are provided. A collabotatve work culture has been my experience. Management is not only approachable but also supportive. Coworkers are lovely hardworking dedicated individuals. Shout out to Recovery Supports team with Addiction and Mental Health Exmo to
When I was employed by AHS , that particular facility could have used some improvement in the management department, which it was starting to get when I left there. Other than that, the residents were great, my coworkers were awesome to work with (some more than others, lol) , and I really enjoyed going to work everyday.
Experiences and workload depend on the site you are stationed at. For the most part, the managers and experiences I have had been very positive. The work can be quite heavy, and seemingly minor mistakes can really have an impact, but colleges are there for you. Overall, I genuinely enjoy working here, and would recommend to others.
Pros
Good pay, friendly staff
Cons
heavy workload
Best job I have had. I was fortunate and had a great boss. Good job security. Union package, health benefits package Opportunity for advancement. Training opportunities
Pros
Salary, health benefits
Cons
Stressful
AHS provide a wide variety of experiences to their employees,Giving them the necessary experience for them to gain additional knowledge as they go along,They treat their employees well,providing them with the best and make them feel that they are an integral part of the company's mission.They have genuine interest in people they manage and create an environment for a greater growth
Pros
Greater opportunity for growth
Cons
Not open for suggestion
I've been with AHS PS for a number of years and while it's never been great, the shift in leadership in the past couple of years has eroded employee moral faster than anything I've seen before. Between the ineffective equipment selection, increased scrutiny and responsibly without guidance and only hearing from management through form letters sent by secretaries, officers who've been around for years are looking at leaving as are newly hired members like never before. It's hard to reach the guys up at the top and we know they don't want to hear what we have to say.
Pros
The scheduled days are are nice
Cons
Out of touch and ineffective leadership
AHS is a government run entity. I have never been subject to a more incompetent organization in all my career. If you’re considering health care all I can say is the work life balance is ok but rest assured the government will come looking to cut your pay. I haven’t had a raise in over 5 years
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Incompetent employer
Overall Alberta Health Services is a good organization to work for. What makes it most satisfactory is the management team. Having a great manager makes all the difference
Pros
Reasonable salary. Good pension plan contributions.
Cons
Larger organization. Slow to make decisions at times.
AHS is a great place to work for! the staff is amazing and is always there to help you if you need it. The training is great. the typical workday is busy!