Alberta Blue Cross

Alberta Blue Cross Employee Reviews

Canada72 reviews
Great company to work for! They offer great benefits as well as other incentives. They promote Work life balance and healthy lifestyle for their workers. I love that they support the community as well! They also offer fitness classes on site which was awesome! Lots of opportunity for growth and advancement if that’s what your looking for!
Very flexible and friendly culture in the organization. Their main focus is on employee's well being and health. So many corporate events and activities are organized to boost employees
I love that this company actually cares about employees. They follow through with their values. As a not for profit the pay is lower, but the benefits and culture make up for it.
Great atmosphere and welcoming on boarding experience, however be careful you don't get steered into a department you didn't want. High expectations with little support in some areas.
Supportive managers
Calls are screened. You need to do well to get 100%. This is good to maintain excellent customer service.

You get rewarded with incentives, etc.

Great benefit package.

Gym and fitness sessions onsite.
Alberta Blue Cross provided an excellent environment for a summer job. I really enjoyed my time on the DCM team and would definitely come back if I were not graduating
Alberta Blue Cross is a very good company for new and experienced professionals. I highly recommend it. The work environment is superb and there is a lot of room to growth.
Pros
Productive and excellent work place
Cons
Note
Through out my tenure of employment at Blue Cross it has been ever changing. Management has morphed and directions have changed.

Our typical day is spent fixing calls that our level 1 & 2 service desk is unable to handle. Packaging new software and deploying updates and software through SCCM.

The management team is ever evolving as Blue Cross is a place where most people do not want to leave which can be seen by many employees years of service.

The culture at Blue Cross is one where teams have to work together and focus on the end goal.
Micro managed, set up to fail.
Very stressful environment, no team!!

I work for the facility management division,

Not a very good place to work, the foreman set you up for failure and throw you under the bus
Great place to work. Management is very supportive alongside coworkers to help you get setup and succeed. They are very flexible with working from home, days off. sick days etc. Very inclusive environment,.
An employer very focused on providing the environment for a balanced work and home life. Management is proactive and supportive of Case Managers. Co-workers very supportive.
Worked as a junior business analyst at blue cross for about 18months. I was fresh out of university with minimal experience. The first month or two was ok but after that I had minimal supports. Anytime I would go to my manager for assistance on a task I would get sneered at and could hear muttering under his breath when I went away.

It's evident that many people who work here hate their job (or more likely, their life). Most people were so unfriendly. I can't blame them though, if I worked here 10 years and was making well-below industry standards, and had to come to this dark, dingy building everyday, I might be a little chapped too.

The raises are absolutely pathetic. We're talking like maybe $100/year which is not even in line with inflation. Blue Cross claims to have education grants for use for the employees to better themselves and their careers. Well, as a junior BA why wouldn't they foot the bill for me to take the BA certificate at NAIT? And, why did they expect me to take it on the weekends!?

Management seems to have their own clique and look down on us regular joes. This really was the worst job ever. After speaking wtih other BAs, this is what happens - you graduate from university, get a couple years experience at this craphole, then move onto greener pastures.

So glad I am now with a company that values their employees. This new company is a complete 180. I make 15k more a year now, get my education paid for (and get to take it on the weekday), and we have several potlucks and recognize employees for their achievements.

Do NOT WORK HERE!!!
Pros
Earned days off, but any other Pro is overshadowed by the Cons
Cons
Stressful work environment, demeaning management, useless HR
A typical day at work contains interesting work, but is not too stressful. I learned how to manage my time and to always be honest with managers. I loved working with the amazing workers.
Pros:
- Good work life balance.

- Friendly team members

- Good medical benefits

Cons:

- Low salary

- Not friendly upper management.

- Usage of out dated tools.
A very balanced work culture where you are free to express your opinions/ideas. Lot of learning as most of the development is in house. There's a very human touch here. I met with an accident and had to go for surgery and the support was overwhelming from the mangement.
Pros
Great work and life balance, good pay, stress free atmosphere
Excellent co-workers to work with, very welcoming. Work load on a day to day basis was very steady, very fast paced. Excellent training, they provided manuals for you to follow. The only thing I disliked about the company was they made you feel like you were just a number. The hardest part was leaving such with amazing co-workers.
Management is very rude and people are fake.
There's a close knit of people and if you're new, they pretend to be nice to you and once they don't like you they find every reason to have you fired.
Very detail oriented and busy atmosphere. They strive to find the work life balance, great team building exercises. They have flexible hours to fit your life.
Great team environment. Able to work independently as well as ask for assistance from team and management. Learned a lot about insurance processes. Would definitely work there again.
Fellow employees are positive with lot of opportunities to engage in activities with co-workers and community outside of work.
Such as corporate challenge, community volunteer, and day of giving.

Opportunity for advancement.
Pros
Free Coffee/Tea/Hot Chocolate
getting a job at blue cross is a bit of a challenge. they mainly hire people who have experience in the field, or people who are easily trainable. in the customer service department job advancement is very difficult. hardest part of the job is dealing with upset or irate clients. easiest part is just relaying the information that right in front of you. there is no guess work. Monday to Friday 40 hour work week. 8:30 to 4 pm