Alberta AdaptAbilities Association

Alberta AdaptAbilities Association Employee Reviews

Canada13 reviews
A lot of things to learned how to deal with the preson you work with and needs more patience to do this job.Its fun if you have passion on this field.
People in their care are treated no better than animals, from the management down is toxic. Owner has a god complex. Everyone is scared of her. HR department is a joke! The HR manager is useless, her staff constantly berate her and tak behind her back. Finance has no iis what they are doing. Payroll needs someone who knows what they are doing
A place where good hearted people go work when they have few options, want to feel like they are part of a good cause, or need to stay under the radar for a bit. Not as rosy as people might think it is. Hopefully workplace culture has shifted.
AdaptAbilities is all about making a difference - it's an amazing cause - helping families with children/youth/young adults with special needs. The atmosphere is a great mix of hard work/focus and fun/friendship. The CEO works hard to make a difference - and she is a great leader. The atmosphere is very positive - staff actually care about each other and are happy to collaborate and support one another.
Pros
An organization that's moving forward, seeking to continuously improve in every area
Cons
Though we have well qualified, caring staff - we need to hire more licensed practitioners - e.g., Occupational Therapists - we're working on it!
The organization when I first start was in it for the right reasons, helping kids and families. However over the time and years it became about money.
Cons
A lot of own time working. Very little support when asked for help.
AdaptAbilities is a good opportunity if you want to go into Social Services or Education. Those of you going into Social Work at MacEwan or UofC should work here at least for a few months. However, BE WARNED: many of the participants that I worked with were very toxic and physically abusive, and there was NOTHING that I could do about it but to tough it out.

That said, I don't believe AdaptAbilities has the resources to provide the support that a lot of their participants require. I've seen a couple participants develop behaviours based on trauma they endured in their time there.

If anything, work their summer camps. Do not stick around after that. You're better off washing dishes.
Pros
Opportunity to form meaningful relationships with participants, Entry-level position that looks great on a resume for social services and education, Management are supportive and will debrief with you when an incident happens, Health care plan includes dental as well as COUNSELLING which you will need.
Cons
YOU. WILL. GET. HURT. Toxic participants are very physically abusive, and AdaptAbilities simply does NOT have the resources to fully support many of its participants.
Great time working with the kids. Left because the manager at the time was not doing what I felt was in the kid's best interest. Things seem to be better now. Great opportunity to work with kids if you are planning on doing that career-wise.
There is very little fundraising culture within the organization itself. Expectations in all levels of the organization far exceed the job requirements.
Meaningful work with people with special needs. Friendly work environment were staff work together as a team and support one another. Managers are considerate and supportive. They hold staff accountable for providing participants with a high level of meaningful quality care.
Pros
Meaningful work, friendly work environment, flexible hours
Cons
High part time and casual staff turnover
The culture of this organization is dreary at best. Front line staff are overworked and underpaid and management seems to make decisions willy nilly without thinking about the consequences. Management is too far disconnected from what really matters and just make people's lives more difficult. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to support people with special needs in a meaningful way. The least enjoyable part is that no one cares that you are doing it.
Pros
The participants
Cons
The programs are good and supporting people who have disabilities is great, but the company is bogged down by poor organization and communication.

Scheduling for staff is all over the place and the ratio sheet often conflicts with the scheduled hours. It’s difficult to know when you are working or who you are working with. You also need to calculate your hours and cross check very carefully!

Communication from top down is lacking and confusing. New expectations and the communication of changes and other news is often missed or told in broken pieces.

Finally, training is hit or miss. Most times someone is thrown in without much orientation.
Pros
Rewarding and worthwhile work
Cons
Disorganization and poor communication
Kind staff, makes you feel great about what you are doing. Summer camps are a bit hectic and should be overstaffed in my opinion, especially for the activities that everyone takes part in.
Pros
Rewarding job
Cons
Long staff meetings, about the same stuff.
In grade six, I became friends with someone that through our friendship we are still friends, heck, we're family, and always will be. Thanks to AdaptAbilities, we are happy.