Alarm Guard Security
Here to help
Coronavirus update

Alarm Guard Security Employee Reviews

Canada33 reviews
We have good training about one week. And learned a lot of sales skills in the company. I get sales confidence from this job and the manager is a very good person teaching me a lot.
good
good
Absolutely love it! Salary, you get paid for what you put into it. But they provide you with all the daily training, reading and roleplaying to make you a top rep. Started in the Toronto office and now in Alberta for the summer sales program.
The sales team feels like family. The managers push you to be the best in all areas of your life, not just in sales for them.

I find the job has really changed the way I interact with everyone in my life for the better, I find I see huge improvements in other areas of my life that have been created from ADT.

It's scary in the beginning, but it's so rewarding and the money is ridiculously good once you get the hang of it. Can't expect the big bucks on day 1, compound interest.
Pros
Supportive team, Money, Self-improvement in many areas of life
Cons
knocking outside in all weather. Hard in the beginning because it's scary when it's new
This job at ADT is helping me with my communication skills and the ability to think on my feet. It is very collaborative with team meetings to practice and discuss scenarios while talking on the phone and having multiple points of view really helps. We each have our own style of talking to people and we find what works best for us. Superiors are available to help 24/7 with any problem.
Pros
Very collaborative and teaches communication skills
Cons
I Have almost completed a year now with alarm guard , i love working here as it suits me in every-way. I feel this company has given me great start with my future. everyone working here are very helpful and really nice. great place to work
Pros
everything about this place
Cons
nothing
Authorized dealer for ADT by Telus, genuinely good products at reasonable prices. Management is helpful and nice co-workers. Office is well connected by public transit. You can move up the ladder if you work hard. Not much micro-management.
- False hope at excelling into different positions
- Unsavory Practices

- Unscrupulous Employer/Owner

While Alarm Guard had lots of nice people working for the company, the overall atmosphere, including but not limited to, false promises, lack of morality and unsavory practices made it a very difficult place to excel/enjoy.
Pros
Majority of employees very personable
Cons
Lots of lies, Unsavory practices
Horrible place to work. Minimum wage for bilingual staff.
Hours kept changing. No respect of any kind. Need a revolving door at the entrance because people leave so soon after they start.
I loved working at alarm guard as there was enough room for everyone to be their best self although there was competition but i loved every experience there as there was always food for meetings.
Some staff were very nice, but higher up was terrible. Person who works below the owner yells and demoralizes employees. Treat and talks to them like they’re scum not even worth being respected. They talk poorly about clients and other staff. Embarrassing. When Labor Board calls, they get sent to a voicemail that is full that never gets checked. No benefits. Poor pay. A sham altogether.
Cons
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Alarm Guard Security?
I took this D2D role as a recent university graduate with an objective to enhance my people's skills. Due to my introverted nature, I chose to step out of my comfort zone by meeting strangers. It was a good experience in this sense and there were encouraging and supporting managers. It can be fun if you enjoy the work. Most sales reps last at most for a week or two.

The payment was purely commission-based and only when a contract is signed and a security system is successfully installed in the customer's house. But there is ABSOLUTELY no communication from the managers and administration regarding canceled installations. I find out on payday. The managers keep stressing the fact that they cannot tolerate dishonesty towards the customers, yet they are betraying the trust of employees. The whole company takes advantage of young graduates and present them with false hopes. I get that income is uncapped but there are several external factors as well such as cold climate, and the fact that the manager kept procrastinating on printing my ID Badge. These are just some of my awful experiences. There is much more.
Chaque jour j'apprenais davantage sur ce que je devais faire de ma journée typique.
They get you in for an interview and not really tell you it's actually a door-to-door job. Staffs are extremely friendly but I am certain that 90% of the sales reps are not happy there. You start off with a base salary and quickly learn that you will be converted to commission only. Imagine knocking on 100 strangers doors daily and hoping they would buy a 3 year contract to make a living.
This is a fine starting point if you want to learn a few things about sales but unfortunately nothing long term.
Alarm Guard provides on the job training not only on its products but also on how to make sales in general and address people's wants and needs to capitalize on them. Possiblity of growth within the company from sales rep to team leader and possibly branch manager if you make sales and show exceptional skills. Also, provided with a free gym, pool table, tennis table and the possibility to travel around Ontario
Routine work
Repetitive tasks

No plus

People get nervous of the company because of too much call

The employers aren't good

bad salary comparing with the effort made
fun workplace. sell home security door to door. good if you want to improve your sales skills and gain experience. this job will teach you communication skills.
Pros
fun workplace
First and foremost they put you through sales training where you learn abysmally offensive sales tactics. I'm astounded they advise people to act like this in someone else's home. They prey on the most desperate of people.

Their turnover is so high (90%+) they won't even give you a free shirt, binder or paper because they're afraid of losing money. They interview view but will accept you regardless of where you come from. The trainers can barely spell and are clearly uneducated and show only the skill of deceiving people. Some individuals in training looked borderline homeless. Don't be mislead by the job description. You will be walking door to door pushing people to be a security system - even if they already have one.

Their salary figures are completely fake. They say you can make 20,000 in 4 months or 1000 a week, but everyday they tell you it's smaller and smaller. In training they tell you around 600 a week, and your team leader will tell you that's unrealistic. It's a business based on lies and you will feel guilty as a person by working here.

Their gym is 3 generic workout machines on a disgusting floor in a place that looks like it was meant to be a mechanics shop. You will go hours out of your way to try and get one sale and most likely won't, because nobody wants to buy a security system from someone who's goal is to find the easiest way into their house, but with them in front of them.

Stay away. You're honestly better off staying at home. Don't waste your time.
Pros
Cons
Literally everything
Sales is not for everyone. It is a challenging job but if you have just graduated, no experience and want to get a foot in the door, this is a very good option for you. Everyday you will go out with the team and your communication skills will improve a lot. You will also learn from the team leader about how the security industry works. The more knowledge you acquire, the better it is for you.
Honest Advice: if offered the position, try it out for few weeks to see whether you like it. Everyone's experience is different and you will only learn if you try it out.

I have been here for over a month now and everything seems fine so far. I got a few sales and am still learning.

Management can improve more by having clear communication with the reps about expectation, commitment and schedule.
Pros
new office with game center, good teammate, no office politic, no micromanagement, supportive team leader
Cons
evening hour, go home late, take 1-2 weeks to learn first before mastering the skills
First, this place is a health hazard, it had not been maintained properly. Not only it is dirty, air circulation is also very poor inside the office. Heat/AC often malfunctions and had not been cleaned for many years. No hot water in any tap, bathrooms are dark and have no ventilations or windows at all.

The office is surrounded by many "spy camera" looking at worker's desk, workers are not allowed to interact with others or the owner will either call or come over to tell you to face back to your own desk.

The management also allow bullies and of course they are the biggest bullies themselves. Swearing words, yelling and verbal harassments are all over the place.

They would also hire every single person who comes in for an interview to be their "contract outside sales", which is 100% commission, no background check is required. These new recruits will be all travelling on a company vehicle to get drop off to do door-to-door sales and giving out the company flyer about home security system. If you are lucky enough to get a sales during the trip, you will get pay in about a week time after it is being installed.

The only benefit to work here is because it is very close to home, and working inside the office get stable salary and always get paid on time.
Pros
Close to home with bus stop at front door
Cons
Everything else
Definitely the most fun working experience that I have been in. Not designed for everyone due to the nature of the role, you will be putting through tests for your interpersonal skills, ability to connect with people and good salesmanship.
When you really get comfortable and become sufficient with this job, you will be rewarded greatly with both experience and compensation.
Pros
Experience, Learning opportunity, Improve sales skills
Cons
Work outside of regular hours, Takes commitment to do well
This job actually makes you LOSE money every day you work. If you make no money (almost always) but still pay transit fares twice and also stop for lunch and dinner, YOU ARE LOSING MONEY AND NEED TO FIND A NEW JOB.

$800-$1000 A WEEK IS UNREALISTIC. The vast majority of people quit once they realize how one person realistically can only get 0-1 sales per week, even if they keep working and gain experience. They also lie because I was told a $75 compensation if 3 presentations were given, but at training, I found out you make nothing for no sales. Training is also unpaid!

The work day doesn't go from 1-9. They want you there at 12, then you wait around 60-90 min for your team lead. You waste hours getting there and buying lunch (the place you do is often AT LEAST) an hour away. During these hours you can often find the other sales reps complain about also barely making any money from this job. You only really start hitting doors at around 5, and once 9 hits, you gotta make the 1+ hr drive back. Not only that, you waste time stopping and buying dinner, which again, you made no sales today, so you're losing more money. You realistically get back to the office at 11 -12ish and now have to commute back.

In all, just an awful experience.
Pros
Cons
Everything. Please don't work here. It's a waste of time and money.
Management kept lying, they don't tell you everything and then when you ask questions they get defensive. Sketchy company, they aren't truthful to their employees nor their customers.

Lying to get by, really not an honest place to work for.
Pros
"Unlimited work since its door to door"
Cons
Lies, bad management, fake promises