Aird & Berlis LLP Employee Reviews

Keep shopping
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 March 2019
HR is not there for you no matter what they say. Lots of control about hours and lunch breaks. I was forced to take a vacation day for the death of my husband's (of 20 years) uncle funeral after being with the company for 20 years. Most lawyers were arrogant towards staff and fought with their own collegues over files. Staff was great. Union station being close is great. The building is beautiful. Raises and salaries are low. Keep shopping.
Pros
Minutes from union station
Cons
HR and management
Good staff and supportive work environment
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 March 2019
Staff are very supportive of each other in the face of stressful circumstances. Great training programs and lateral moves are sometimes facilitated. HR is a bit defective.
23 April 2019

Thank you for your feedback.

We’re very happy to hear that you found our training programs helpful and enjoyed opportunities for internal growth. Aird & Berlis takes pride in our collegial and supportive firm culture, and we are glad that you found staff to be supportive during stressful situations. The firm is fully committed to the physical and mental health of our members, and we have launched a mental health strategy to help firm members manage stressful circumstances when they arise.

We’re sorry to hear your concerns regarding our Human Resources department. The Human Resources team is always open to improve and learn from every experience.

Terrible culture
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 February 2019
Terrible culture and management is the absolute worse. I worked at 2 other Bay St firms and this one is the lowest paying with the highest turnover rate. There are other big firms with coworkers that will treat you with respect and will feel like a family. The lawyers here are arrogant. Do not waste your time.
Pros
Quick walk to Union Station
Cons
Staff
13 March 2019

Thank you for your feedback. At Aird & Berlis, we pride ourselves on our collegial, respectful and supportive firm culture. We strive to offer competitive salaries and benefits and to foster a work environment where employees can grow and excel as part of the Aird & Berlis family.

We can proudly say that many of our employees and lawyers have been with the firm for decades. From our management team and talented group of lawyers to our supportive administrative staff, we are a dedicated group of individuals who care about each other, the work we produce and the client service we provide.

What I learned
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 December 2018
I very much enjoyed the quick walks to Union Station. Unfortunately, management if not too accommodating or compassionate to new mothers/mothers with young children. A lot of the lawyers feel that they are above you. Out of the three firms I worked at, this one by far had the most arrogant lawyers. Salary was not great considering they are a Bay Street law firm. I enjoyed the wonderful and friendly kitchen staff, mailroom/copy staff and IT department. The learning curve is very restricted unless you work for an amazing boss. There are 20+ job posting presently which truly is scary when most of them are replacements. Worth the interview, but keep these things in mind. Good luck! :o)
Pros
Close to Union Station
Cons
Most lawyers act superior to staff
13 March 2019

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your experience at Aird & Berlis. We appreciate hearing about the friendly staff you enjoyed working with, and are sorry to learn that your perception of our management team and firm lawyers was of the contrary. We aim to foster a professional, supportive environment for all firm members, including those caring for young children. We encourage all members of the firm to continue learning to further their individual goals and provide opportunities for growth within. As Aird & Berlis continues to grow, there are many new opportunities to join the firm.

Think Again
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Aird & Berlis20 October 2018
HR department is not loyal. Low salary. Advancement internally based on how much money they can save. All other excuses they give are to make you happy. Seniority means nothing to them. Mental health is high and turnover in the last three years is high. Suggestion...keep looking. Staff will be the only reason you end up staying. Good luck. Hope Ove helped. Remember you are only a number. Ive left after 18 years and EXTREMELY and know there is so much more respect out there.
Pros
Cons
Alot
20 November 2018

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear your perception of our firm and the Human Resources Department. Aird & Berlis continues to grow resulting in many opportunities for individuals to advance in their careers, and for new candidates to join the Aird & Berlis family. Internal advancement depends on numerous factors, and we strive to provide all candidates with equal opportunity and consideration. We’re sorry that you felt overlooked. Aird & Berlis offers a positive work environment and supports employees with a variety of health and wellness initiatives and employee benefits.

Legal Secretary (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 March 2018
I worked for a very busy corporate/securities lawyer. My typical day would start with a daily meeting with the lawyer compiling in priority all the work that I would need to do for the day. There was a lot of pressure in this position as time was always of he essence and deadlines needed to be met. If a deal was closing and it required staying late to get the job done, I did so. It was a very fast paced environment and exciting. I really enjoyed working with the entire team.
Pros
High energy environment and challenging
Cons
Long hours at times
Don't
Law Clerk/Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 February 2018
If you're looking for a human resources support in a time of need this is not a good firm for you. Any type of advancement involves mainly salary the lower of the salary get the position. Salary is low compared to other downtown firms . They do not give out bonuses throughout the year like others just a minimum raise in January. Staff is friendly and what keeps you going. My suggestion is to shop around other firms and compare mainly the money factor as that's what families in this generation need to look for in employment along with fair HR Department and fair management. Good luck with what you choose.
Pros
Good staff
Cons
Many on mental health leave
27 March 2018

We appreciate your feedback and we're sorry to hear your perception of our Human Resources Department, in particular.
There are many factors behind a decision for advancing a staff member internally. We have had many individuals who have been able to remain at the firm while advancing to other positions, at all levels, through our internal postings.
Aird & Berlis offers a great work environment and culture, which is evident in our low turnover and high morale. We continually strive to listen to our firm members so that we can enhance their experience.

Fun Summer Job
Receptionist (Summer/Vacation) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 December 2017
Great place to work when trying to dip your toes in the legal field. Helpful and friendly staff. Friendly management. Simple clerical duties. enjoyable
Pros
Networking in legal field
Great law firm
Contract Administrator Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 August 2014
- nice staff
- lots of amenities, coffee, fruits
- located near union station

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Aird & Berlis LLP. Our community is ready to answer.

2.4