AHS Employee Reviews

Respectful Workplace
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 August 2019
This place to work has a lot of continuous learning to offer. People are respectful. I work in a unit where we are composed of different health care team members.
Gift Shop Volunteer
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge Hospital Gift Shop13 July 2019
Met people at the hospital - Staff, Patients and Visitors. Waited on customers and put items through the register. Sold Lottery Tickets to customers and ran the Lottery Machine.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
No Con
Management bullies staff
Office Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 July 2019
Never been treated so poorly in any job I've had.
Most managers hire externally and not within so you can only move up if you brown nose to the right manager(s)
Everyone is miserable and wants to leave or abuses sick time just to be out of the office.
Management constantly berates staff and changes reports to show how you're not doing a good enough job.
Pension is really good if you can stick it out 20+ years, but other medical benefits are subpar.
Pros
Toxic work environment
Cons
great pension
Interestin, fastpaced workplace
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Airdrie, AB18 April 2019
Love my job. I am able to assess and treat all different age groups. It helps me to practise in a fast paced, busy environment. I am good in triaging and making difficult decisions.
Pros
5 min comute
Cons
Lot of sick calls
Inspirational workplace with a great team
volunteer (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB22 February 2019
I love my volunteer position at the hospital. All it takes is a couple of hours every week to have completed the requirements. Not only are you helping the hospital, but you are also helping yourself. The fulfillment you receive while helping out a patient and the unit's crew is amazing. Our main priority (in my specific position) is to socialize with the patients and ensure their comfort. Besides, it gives you the oportunity to make new friends everyday. All this is extremely beneficial for the heart. I highly recommend working here.
Pros
snack vouture, making new friends/aquaintances, feeling fulfilled
One provincial Health System
Anesthesiologist (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 January 2019
providing anesthesia is the most enjoyable part of work. As a single provincial provider suffers from central decisions making, not recognizing local needs.
Challenging and rewarding opportunity
RN (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB25 November 2018
I worked for over ten years in a very challenging job of ER RN with a large range of types of patients and illnesses. At times, you wondered how you could possibly keep up with the demand on staff then at other times, it was incredibly rewarding and enjoyable.
Pros
Incredible experience
Cons
Difficult situations ie: trauma
professional environment
RN (Current Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB22 October 2018
Peer support
multi talented team for best patient care
resources available 24/7 to guide practice
safety measures for staff and patients
tools provided to perform work necessary
Pays well but casual positions are not stable income
UNIT CLERK/ADMINISTRATIVE SUPPORT III (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 October 2018
Casual positions don't give you any security as far as having a guaranteed income coming in each month.
Very spotty and can work a lot one week nothing the next. I need something more secure
Ahs
REGISTERED NURSE (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 September 2018
Overall AHS is a great company to work for, its a huge company with many employees however you can always get your needs addressed in a timely manner.
very uncaring management in my department
es worker II (Current Employee) –  Mayerthorpe, AB8 August 2018
management in my department was horrible. sujected to lies, bullying and repercussion actions from management. they did not adhere to the code of ethics and were completely ignorant about workplace safety and on the job injuries.
benefits
Cons
horrible management
Awful place to work with nothing but bullying and inequality
Administration Assistant (Current Employee) –  |Calgary, AB14 July 2018
AHS is an awful place to work. Management that I have had dealings with do not treat staff fairly and think they are better than others. Don't care about you as a person, and nepotism is very real.
Pros
Some of the benefits, like sick days are always available.
not fun
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 June 2018
very stressful, allowed for me to work in 1.5x2 metres with no ventilation for 2 years, now I have better office but no appropriate furniture, politics +++
Pros
not many
Cons
don't care about working conitions their emploees are
Workplace environment requires improvement
Nursing Student (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 June 2018
High patient acuity, stressful workplace environment. The unit had a great educator as of 2016 who is very knowledgable and supportive. Some staff are very helpful and supportive. however, other RNs may refrain from assisting new grads or students. found some staff bullying and judgmental.
Cons
bullying, judgment, negative comments
Stability is key
Client Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 June 2018
There are many educational opportunities with AHS and I am very grateful for those opportunities. The hardest part of the job is shift work; avoiding burnout by creating good work/life balance becomes a talent that you quickly need to develop. The most enjoyable piece are the amazing people you encounter who teach you so much.
Professional atmosphere that provides world class service
Practicum - Student (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB27 May 2018
I value AHS because they are a company with similar values to my own. The 'Patient First' and 'Our People' foundational strategies, in addition to a focus on providing an accessible and sustainable healthcare system, are values that I support.
Fun workplace
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 January 2018
I have been working as a nurse for 8+ years. I have travelled in different provinces to gain experience in different kind of nursing in its most unique way. I love dealing with people and being a nurse has led me to become more confident as a person. Helping others is the most rewarding part of the job and as well being appreciated then after and that is the opportunity AHS has given me.
Good place to work with good benefits and decent pay
Admin to Director (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 December 2017
Worked with AHS for almost 10 years in a few different positions, only left as I moved to another province. Would have stayed with them as lots of opportunities in other departments.
Kind and Considerate Workplace
CLXT (Current Employee) –  Hinton, AB12 November 2017
We work as a team in the workplace and it helps things move efficiently. I enjoy going to work everyday because the work is fun and the people and kind. The hardest part of the job is seeing people at their worst times, but you find that in most healthcare positions.
life as an LPN
LPN (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 November 2017
work load is to much, 7 people overnight on an acute care unit.
how to work indendantly
dealing with difficult patients and family can be mentally exhausting