Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada Employee Reviews

Easy going
Preparation Technician (Former Employee) –  Brandon, MB18 April 2018
Extremely monotonous and repetitive work, however learned a lot about the scientific implications of what I was doing. I did not enjoy doing the exact same things every single day, but I did enjoy learning more about agricultural sciences in general. I enjoyed that there were lots of workplace team building events like BBQ's and pancake breakfasts.
Pros
easy
Cons
boring
Excellent for co-op students
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB8 April 2018
My experience at the Agri-Food research center in Lethbridge includes six co-op semesters, and I found it an excellent learning and work environment. The types of student positions are quite variable.
Pros
Good practical lab experience
Very good research experience
Research Biotechnician (Former Employee) –  Lacombe County, AB6 April 2018
Very interesting research facility with beautiful surrounding. Supportive of local agricultural projects and businesses and integrative with government support.
Pros
Progressive agricultural research
A good place to work
IT Assistant (Current Employee) –  Harrow, ON9 February 2018
Great people and good work culture.
Not a typical day at work.
Lots of fun events during the year.
Very good understanding of the co-workers.
Great place for students to gain experience.
excellent learning environment
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Summerland, BC16 January 2018
This was a co-op training position through university and was an excellent opportunity to develop lab skills. The remuneration was slightly above average and the work environment was very positive. However, it was a short-term position so I know nothing about benefits or anything related to a permanent position.
Entomology Lab
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Harrow, ON23 October 2017
-Supervisor was extremely helpful and knowledgeable
-Great research environment that promotes learning and excellence
-Co-workers were positive and fun
-Good facilities
Mon emploi préféré
Adjointe de recherche (Former Employee) –  Quebec City, QC16 October 2017
Super job, mais attention au système de paie Phoenix
Good job culture
Master's Student (Former Employee) –  London, ON11 September 2017
Good place to work, comes with the advantages and disadvantages of working for government. Good salary and benefits. Was an intern there doing research so my experience was very different then other full time employees.
No complaints
Marketing and Communications Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC6 September 2017
Good location, structured work environment but not too stuffy. Small group of colleagues but all very friendly. Did meaningful work. Enjoyed my time there.
Productive and friendly workplace
Postdoctoral Fellow (Former Employee) –  London, ON28 August 2017
During my contract time period, I enjoy working in AAFC where I have met many excellent colleagues. The supervisors also provide valuable guidance and suggestions for my research project. That is the reason for me to be productive here.
Incredible Working and Learning experience
Policy Analyst (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 August 2017
I have had the best experience here at AAFC. The learning experience is amazing and I would recommend anyone to get themselves to a point where they can experience what I have the privilege of being a part of here.
Cons
limited contract
Very interest
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lacombe, AB13 August 2017
The work at the research centre is very interesting and fun, though it can get repetitive I did learn a lot and everyone was very easy to get along with.
Great workplace environment, like to hire students after graduation
Laboratory Assistant - Bacteria Pathology (Former Employee) –  Kentville, NS13 August 2017
I enjoyed my time there as a co-op student. I learned so much and the staff were really great and patient and provided a great work atmosphere there. I've also learned they like to hire co-op students after they graduate.
Productive and a great opportunity to further enhance skills
Market Information Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON22 June 2017
Working for the federal government has been an incredible experience, as I have learned to use statistical methods to publish a report, and on a day to day routine, I would update data on prices of food commodities in the market on the system's database. The workplace culture was extremely diverse and accepting of everyone! The workplace always had something for me to do for them, which involved various tasks. I really enjoyed the various tasks they had given me, it allowed me to be more productive and get tasks done before the deadlines.
Pros
Amazing career advices
Cons
no cons at all.
Productive workplace and friendly employees
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON13 June 2017
I was a lab assistant for one of their research scientists. Everyone was friendly and professional. The work hours were not too long, making it a low stress environment.
Productive, active and fun workplace
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB11 June 2017
It was a nice and fun workplace for people . It was a good chance to improve practical knowledge and experience. Working with Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada extensively improved my communication, data management and statistical analysis skills. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with huge data that surprising results could be generated from them.
Good and friendly place to work
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 May 2017
I am very happy with the co-workers. They are friendly and everyone works hard. I have obtained great experiences and hope this would be a good beginning for having a permanent job in the field of Biotechnology in future. Food is important and having good and healthy food is our goal for future Canadian, when the natural resources may limit. I am looking forward to find a new position in this department.
Nice People, Interesting Work
GIS Student Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON21 April 2017
The workplace is incredibly friendly, everyone is happy and willing to pass down years of knowledge and experience with new and student employees. I would be happy to return back to work with this group.
Government envitronment
GIS programmer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 April 2017
A very secure job if you have a per ornament position.
Self-paced working schedule and time management. Government workplace culture. Legacy technology.
Quality Experience with good pay, but some hiccups
Research Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON5 April 2017
The pay was very competitive. We had lots of free lunches. Very good experience. Pay centre was atrocious, didn't get paid sometimes. Admin staff rude
Pros
Competitive Pay. Great Experience. Lots of Free lunches
Cons
Bureaucracy was slow. Admin staff were rude