Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada

Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada Employee Reviews

AAFC is face paced and expects a lot from the students, but it is rewarding work that offers a lot to learn. The pay is good and the work environment is good. However the Pheonix pay system is miserable. I was not paid the first month, was never paid the correct hourly wage, and I still haven't been paid my missing wages 3 years later.
Pros
Good cafeteria
Cons
Long hours, weekend work, never paid right.
Managed farm and greenhouse research staff and projects of 4 sights in southern Ontario . Worked between 65 staff and research scientists to ensure field and greenhouse projects where properly installed and maintained
excellent working environment for research. It is a scientific research laboratory where research is being conducted mostly related to the dairy cattle.
Working for this company was fun, with the opportunity to learn new skills in various areas of Ag science. Typically the work-day starts around 8am, with lunch as well as morning and afternoon tea breaks. I spent a lot of time working in the molecular genetics lab, investigating dry beans, but also spent time crossing and harvesting in both green-house and field. Being a Visiting Fellow I tended to work extra hours, but could be more flexible in my work schedule than some. Perhaps the most difficult was the hand-harvesting of field plants in sub-zero temperatures in the late Fall.
Work environment was good and I supported several groups of good people. I was satisfied with my work and support. I had flexability to change groups frequently as the department needed.
Supportive and somewhat relaxed environment. My direct supervisor and the entire team I worked with were big on making sure I learned the required skills for today's job market, even more so than the work I did for them.
A very professional work atmosphere. Exposed to different challenges with different requirements/needs of SAP Cluster partners. Overall a good environment to work at.
Pros
Professional Work environment
Cons
None in particular
I was fortunate to work at this place of employment. The work environment is laid back and they train and trust you to figure out the rest on your own.
Très recommandable pour les personnes intéressé en informatique dans la région de sainte-Hyacinthe.
I had 20 years of opportunities and good challenges. My management team was supportive. My colleagues were fun and engaging while working hard to the Canadian taxpayer.
I worked as a part-time student research assistant on a 4-month FSWEP contract. I worked 15 hours/week and the PI I was working under was very generous about me keeping my schedule flexible, especially when exam season rolled around. The lab environment was always collaborative and exciting, and sometimes a little stressful when managing several experiments simultaneously. On special occasions such as the Chinese New Year, the facility staff put on a special lunch celebration for all employees to enjoy and learn more about the culture. These special lunches really helped maintain the work-life balance, as sometimes staying late at work was inevitable due to the experiment for the day. Overall, my position at AAFC has been the most valuable work and research opportunity I have experienced thus far. I would highly recommend working here!
This role has helped me immensely in developing my research and writing skills. I was able to contribute to many studies and papers. The workplace culture was relaxed and informal.
AAFC was an excellent employer, I would highly recommend them as an Employer. Management are supportive and training opportunities are readily available to further your knowledge.
Mediocre pay, good pension, limited advancement opportunities. There are a lot of politics, but I guess that is to be expected when you work for a federal government department.
Spent 2 summers working as a coop student. The work culture is very cooperative, even between different labs. The staff regularly organized volleyball and soccer games during lunch breaks. Amazing experience.
Loved working for Ag-Canada. Benefits were great, salary was fair (even as a student) and management was understanding. N discrimination or biases based on appearance or background; extremely great workplace. (Just a lot of drama between some of the office staff but that was mostly their personal problems).
Tres bon environnement de travail. Des collegues fantastiques. People are very friendly , not too much stress. You get your own parking space for every day.
Working for the federal government has been a great experience that I expect will help grow my career. I would consider working for them again in the future, once I have completed my studies.
Everyone is friendly and the work is safe and fun. You never have to do anything you don't feel uncomfortable with. If you are willing to learn there are those who are willing to teach.
I was only there a short time and the people were easy to work with and totally engaged. Unfortunately, I was influenced by a third party that clouded my judgment
Pros
Work remotely
Cons
No parking
Just started short of a month. I love the people I work with. Very encouraging to new employees. I was very nervous about starting at a call centre but everyone put me at ease on the first day